Author Topic: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000  (Read 14513 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2022, 05:04:42 pm »
Not bragging, but between beng a boy scout as kid, knowing survival skills, and possessing a little common sense.......

I doubt you will ever find hypothermia or freezing to death ever as a "cause of death" on my death certificate.

I am a little more humble than that... I know it's a factor, and sometimes you get caught out and can't make do. A busted leg for example...  I could probably make do around that in the spring or summer, but a busted leg, with a blizzard? Probably gonna die. Just gathering the wood you would need to survive it would be impossible. Barring God sending you a haystack to crawl into, the chips are likely down and your number is likely up. Jussayin. I can defy these mountains, but I am under no illusions. And I am alright with that.

Like I mentioned earlier on the thread, our ancestors 150+ years ago, dealt with this on a routine basis, and seem to be fine. Has society  changed that much in 150 years that we are helpless in self-survival situations?

It's in the doing of it I would guess. It's in the day to day of living with the land... And most folks don't.

I reckon it to folks in the South suddenly faced with this kind of weather...  I leave em a lot of room when it comes to a mighty blizzard... It really ain't in their ken. I get that.

But the heat - Most folks I know down south run from house to car to stay in the air conditioning... and if the power were to go out they'd be just as hard up as me in that heat. But, hard as it is to reckon now, all y'all's grand folks did without air conditioning. Because it wasn't there that little bit ago.

That part is on y'all. That's a part of your landscape, and not being able to live in it is a sure sign of a weaker sort of folks. Sooner or later the power fails. Sooner or later you get caught out. And everybody everywhere should be able to deal with nature that is all around us all.

For me it goes without saying. If you hunt and trap the north, you'd better know how to live with deep snow and dire cold... Even if you do go home to a nice warm cabin most of the time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:06:21 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2022, 05:09:23 pm »
I am a little more humble than that... I know it's a factor, and sometimes you get caught out and can't make do. A busted leg for example...  I could probably make do around that in the spring or summer, but a busted leg, with a blizzard? Probably gonna die. Just gathering the wood you would need to survive it would be impossible. Barring God sending you a haystack to crawl into, the chips are likely down and your number is likely up. Jussayin. I can defy these mountains, but I am under no illusions. And I am alright with that.

Of course, where I live has never been below zero temp.  I can be a little more bold in my claim.  Put me in your parts?  I'd stock up and hibernate between November and April, not wanting to take the risk.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2022, 05:15:49 pm »
December 28, 2022 11:35am EST
Buffalo area blizzard death toll rises to 34, National Guard to go door to door looking for bodies
Erie County authorities fearful that more dead bodies may be found

By Pilar Arias | Fox News

The National Guard will be going door to door doing wellness checks across Erie County, New York neighborhoods that lost power during the winter storm, County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz said during a Wednesday morning news conference.

The mission will take place over the next 48 hours, Poloncarz said alongside other county authorities. Authorities are fearful there are individuals that may have perished that have not been found yet. 

There are less than 1,000 remaining power outages in the county. Those who have been without power for 72 hours or more can file a claim for utility reimbursement for spoiled food and prescriptions. 

The latest death toll in the county is 34, with three people unidentified.

"If you have a loved one that you know is missing, please contact your local police department," Poloncarz said of the two John Does and one Jane Doe.

The Buffalo Police Department launched an anti-looting unit that has already made eight arrests in the wake of a deadly winter storm that buried the city in snow over Christmas weekend. 

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/buffalo-area-blizzard-death-toll-rises-34-national-guard-door-to-door-looking-bodies

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2022, 05:22:20 pm »

Of course, where I live has never been below zero temp.  I can be a little more bold in my claim.  Put me in your parts?  I'd stock up and hibernate between November and April, not wanting to take the risk.

And mostly we do... Except that we can't. Often winter is the best access to things. Chaga for instance... Chaga is a fungus that grows on birch trees that makes for a mighty fine tea. It's something you go for in the depth of winter, because you take it when the tree is dormant, and winter's snow pack gets you 4-10 ft higher on the tree (where the chaga tends to be).

Same for hunting camp. Same for ice fishing. Often, same for getting wood (which is often easier to get to and drag out with snow on the ground).

Try as you might... you think you are gonna spend the winter in front of a fire or out in the shop... Both nice and cozy places... but somehow, it never works out that way.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2022, 07:00:29 pm »

It's in the doing of it I would guess. It's in the day to day of living with the land... And most folks don't.

I reckon it to folks in the South suddenly faced with this kind of weather...  I leave em a lot of room when it comes to a mighty blizzard... It really ain't in their ken. I get that.

But the heat - Most folks I know down south run from house to car to stay in the air conditioning... and if the power were to go out they'd be just as hard up as me in that heat. But, hard as it is to reckon now, all y'all's grand folks did without air conditioning. Because it wasn't there that little bit ago.

That part is on y'all. That's a part of your landscape, and not being able to live in it is a sure sign of a weaker sort of folks. Sooner or later the power fails. Sooner or later you get caught out. And everybody everywhere should be able to deal with nature that is all around us all.

For me it goes without saying. If you hunt and trap the north, you'd better know how to live with deep snow and dire cold... Even if you do go home to a nice warm cabin most of the time.

In my neck of the woods there were VERY few individual homes with AC when I was growing up. My Father and mother got it in a new house they built after I left home and that new home was NOT constructed the same way the old ones were (low ceilings, little to no thought given to air flow, etc.)

My Grandfather's house was a Texas style dog trot with 10' ceilings and a 10' wide hallway running right down the middle (The doors on both ends only opened to 6' but the passageway itself was 10' wide) On one side of the hallway were three bedrooms and a pantry (root cellar) no heat in any of those rooms.  On the other side was the living room (Big potbellied stove there) dining room, and kitchen. In summer, those hallway doors were always wide open, 24/7 and I don't ever remember being hot in that house. Slept on top of the bed or out on the porch. The beds were all feather beds so staying warm in winter was easy. Close off the hallway and jump in bed with a quilt or two.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2022, 07:22:44 pm »
In my neck of the woods there were VERY few individual homes with AC when I was growing up. My Father and mother got it in a new house they built after I left home and that new home was NOT constructed the same way the old ones were (low ceilings, little to no thought given to air flow, etc.)

My Grandfather's house was a Texas style dog trot with 10' ceilings and a 10' wide hallway running right down the middle (The doors on both ends only opened to 6' but the passageway itself was 10' wide) On one side of the hallway were three bedrooms and a pantry (root cellar) no heat in any of those rooms.  On the other side was the living room (Big potbellied stove there) dining room, and kitchen. In summer, those hallway doors were always wide open, 24/7 and I don't ever remember being hot in that house. Slept on top of the bed or out on the porch. The beds were all feather beds so staying warm in winter was easy. Close off the hallway and jump in bed with a quilt or two.

Always loved those old houses growing up that used alot of the slick tricks in their design and placing. We're always a nice comfortable temp and breezy in the summer, with no A/C or not used much.
The Republic is lost.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2022, 08:46:31 pm »
It's 52 degrees today - a major heat wave.
Heat deaths are far and away the leading cause of weather-related deaths, but I'm probably not going to worry quite yet.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline berdie

« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2022, 10:03:25 pm »
Always loved those old houses growing up that used alot of the slick tricks in their design and placing. We're always a nice comfortable temp and breezy in the summer, with no A/C or not used much.

We always had an attic fan and open windows. Plenty cool in the summer.

Of course those were different times. Today, a family would have to have members taking guard duty to insure the idgets didn't climb in the windows to kill ya.

Frankly, I don't use my central air too much, fans work as long as you don't mind the hurricane effect. :laugh: I know a couple of people around that don't have central a/c or window units.

I'll take that a step further...I don't use central heat as a rule. Tight fisted me...propane is like gold. But the fireplace, wood burning stove and space heaters keep this small place cozy. My friend gave me some blankets a couple of years ago. I don't know what these things are made of, but I almost get to hot when I use them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2022, 11:07:06 pm »

This old cabin is set up like in kind - Not the same style - but like in kind... For the land it exists in.

Dunno if I ever said it, but this place was originally just the living room - that was the whole cabin. Then they added on the kitchen and laundry/pantry, and finally, lastly, the two bedrooms and the bathroom out back. But that original cabin set the tone for the rest of the place - and firstly, before anything else, it is clocked perfectly to catch the breeze coming down the canyon. Every evening as the sun goes down, the cool mountain air comes flying down out of Foy's Canyon... All I have to do is open the bedroom windows in the west, and the living room and kitchen windows in the east, and 9 times out of 10, that breeze is there to push every bit of hot air out of the place in minutes - The effect is really an astonishment. And to this day, that old trapper that set this place has been a blessing for anyone who has ever lived here.

And the other thing worthy of comment -  Like all cabins, this one has low ceilings. It makes it dark without any lights on, and feels a little close to those not used to it, but the purpose of it is profound - Heat stays down low where you need it. Which means heating this place has always been a cinch. The only way I can translate that is in the cost of the GFA furnace (which I really don't use much)... But at a time when most folks in comparable square footage were paying 125-175 bucks a month for heat, this place was heating for 75 bucks... The most I have ever paid for gas heat here was 175 in one month, and something around there is to be expected only when bitter cold, far below zero describes the whole month.

It is not magic, and really not science... But just these amazing ways folks just knew back then when every little bit needed to be eked out, and McMansions were not even a thought. Ain't it something, though?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2022, 02:10:34 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0RAjJ1PKQ

Not sure where else to post this.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2022, 10:23:26 pm »
December 28, 2022 11:35am EST
Buffalo area blizzard death toll rises to 34, National Guard to go door to door looking for bodies
Erie County authorities fearful that more dead bodies may be found

The Bidens were unavailable for comment.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2022, 12:12:50 am »
I got my first garden seed catalog today. Winter is practically over!  wink777
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2022, 12:44:02 am »

WOO!  :yowsa:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2022, 01:54:28 am »

@debrawiest
Do you use a garden planner of any sort, or just wing it?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2022, 08:44:41 pm »
@debrawiest
Do you use a garden planner of any sort, or just wing it?

I don’t use a planner, but I do start out with a plan. Then hubby and I go to the local nursery and the plan goes kaput.  happy77
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2022, 09:08:17 pm »
I don’t use a planner, but I do start out with a plan. Then hubby and I go to the local nursery and the plan goes kaput.  happy77

Ha!  Fair enough. 
I really, really want to do a garden this year, but I probably will do more winging it than doing it fancy garden-planner style.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2022, 03:52:40 am »
The old saw, 'Man plans, God laughs' is never more evidently true than in the category of growing things.  happy77

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2022, 04:35:18 am »
The old saw, 'Man plans, God laughs' is never more evidently true than in the category of growing things.  happy77

This is largely true of raising small humans, too.  :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2022, 04:47:08 am »

Growing anything, I'd reckon.  :beer:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2022, 03:01:26 pm »

By the time one begins to understand how to raise a child his grandchildren are having children.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2022, 03:28:24 pm »
By the time one begins to understand how to raise a child his grandchildren are having children.

Ain't that the damned truth?

God has quite a sense of humor
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald