Author Topic: DR. JAMES HOLMES: THE NAVAL DIPLOMAT - 19FORTYFIVERussia And China Don’t Give A Damn About Soft Powe  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DR. JAMES HOLMES: THE NAVAL DIPLOMAT - 19FORTYFIVERussia And China Don’t Give A Damn About Soft Power

ByJames HolmesPublishedOctober 9, 2022

‘Tis a mystery. Over at Foreign Policy this week, Christopher Walker explains why Russia and China can’t get anyone to like them while wondering how much Putin, Xi & Co. even care about amassing “soft power” anymore. Soft power is an intangible civilizational “power of attraction” according to the concept’s godfather, Harvard professor and former defense official Joseph S. Nye Jr. A nation imbued with soft power gets others to want what it wants. Its leadership stands a solid chance of rallying others behind causes it champions.

It turns out that an era of good feelings constitutes a substantial asset to diplomacy.

Professor Nye declares that soft power emanates “primarily from three sources: its culture; its political values, such as democracy and human rights (when it upholds them); and its policies (when they are seen as legitimate because they are framed with an awareness of others’ interests).” If so, Moscow and Beijing stand on flimsy ground. Run Nye’s checklist. Culture is all the twin despotisms have going for them. Their political values and policies amount to tyranny at home and aggression abroad. Now there’s a banner to which others will flock!

Threatening to ravage your neighbors—or in Russia’s case, actually doing so—holds scant appeal beyond kindred hives of scum and villainy. Nor does trying to overthrow a largely beneficent world order kindle fellow-feeling.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/10/russia-and-china-dont-give-a-damn-about-soft-power/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:28:42 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson