Author Topic: House passes sweeping reform bill to decriminalize marijuana  (Read 5002 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: House passes sweeping reform bill to decriminalize marijuana
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2020, 12:03:31 am »
I'm late to this thread, so there's upwards of 100 replies....

I think this is a necessary step, not because I approve of Marijuana, but because there are a lot of states that have legalized weed.  The Federal law and the laws of the "several states" are in conflict, resulting in people being prosecuted and imprisoned despite State laws to the contrary.

It's a States Rights issue, subject to the 10th Amendment.

What about interstate commerce? Fed regs?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2020, 12:13:49 am »
What about interstate commerce? Fed regs?

People who farm MJ in California for their "medicinal marijuana" dispensaries have been arrested and jailed, even though the dreaded weed was only distributed in California.  there was no "interstate commerce involved.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2020, 12:17:37 am »
Yeah, I recall when a 'nickel bag' was a full ounce. The really, really, expensive stuff was $20, and those who bought such swore if it wasn't good enough to make them forget any idea of kicking the seller's ass, the seller would be in trouble.

But the run of the mill weed in those days smelled different and hit a person differently. People goofed off laughing for hours on it. Today's (and back then, the high priced stuff at $20/oz) "Skunk weed" (if not doped with skunk urine) was 'two hit sh*t' that pretty much that had people nodding (that didn't seem like my idea of fun).

I haven't touched any of it since long before I quit drinking, and that's been over 30 years.

I am rather happy to have grown up in the country... Of course we had the perennial temptations of drinking and wild women... Honkytonkin and tail-gating out on a bonfire somewhere... A little bit of weed and a little bit of amphetamine (a lot of my friends were the kids of truckers/loggers)... But that was about it. In the meantime, the townies had every depravity of pharmakopia at their immediate disposal. That 'gateway drug' thing is a true thing.

But that was a generation before meth hit country like a freight train.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2020, 12:17:37 am »
People who farm MJ in California for their "medicinal marijuana" dispensaries have been arrested and jailed, even though the dreaded weed was only distributed in California.  there was no "interstate commerce involved.

My Humboldt apologies. Thanks for the clarification.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2020, 12:21:47 am »

I think this is a necessary step, not because I approve of Marijuana, but because there are a lot of states that have legalized weed.  The Federal law and the laws of the "several states" are in conflict, resulting in people being prosecuted and imprisoned despite State laws to the contrary.

That's right. But it would be better if the problem wasn't there at all, like it was before. There would be a whole lot less heartache. But writing that into law - especially federal law - has not been fortuitous.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2020, 12:27:55 am »
My Humboldt apologies. Thanks for the clarification.

LOL!

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2020, 12:28:47 am »
That's right. But it would be better if the problem wasn't there at all, like it was before. There would be a whole lot less heartache. But writing that into law - especially federal law - has not been fortuitous.

Yup.  Worked as well as Prohibition, with lots more people in jail.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2020, 12:32:53 am »

IMHO,...okay, not so "humble"... the federal government's current involvement will see MJ end up being taxed similar to gasoline.

They merely want to dip their beaks too!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2020, 12:33:26 am »

It was probably this issue more than any other that taught me the value of federalism, with my more libertarian friends having won that argument outright. And thus I have moved myself even more to the Right.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:25 am »
It was probably this issue more than any other that taught me the value of federalism, with my more libertarian friends having won that argument outright. And thus I have moved myself even more to the Right.

It also taught even more people disrespect for the law.  Just like Prohibition.  Dodging the Revinooers became a game, it even led to NASCAR.
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:41 am »
IMHO,...okay, not so "humble"... the federal government's current involvement will see MJ end up being taxed similar to gasoline.

They merely want to dip their beaks too!

Well, there's that and then there's also the fact that there are many people using medical MJ to soothe their ills and no longer use prescription drugs which in the long run could crush big pharma and all the pill pushing doctors. Lots of revenue being lost.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2020, 12:38:35 am »
Well, there's that and then there's also the fact that there are many people using medical MJ to soothe their ills and no longer use prescription drugs which in the long run could crush big pharma and all the pill pushing doctors. Lots of revenue being lost.

It's all about the 'Benjamins'!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2020, 12:39:05 am »
It also taught even more people disrespect for the law.  Just like Prohibition.  Dodging the Revinooers became a game, it even led to NASCAR.

Having a good part of that built into me, both in family and culture... I would say that's right.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online libertybele

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2020, 12:41:02 am »

Exactly!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2020, 12:44:28 am »

And it's also what's driving people from Blue states to Red ones.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2020, 12:47:35 am »
Having a good part of that built into me, both in family and culture... I would say that's right.

My mom's dad was always bitchin bout the revenooers. I can tell why. Man could make clear shine.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2020, 12:52:18 am »

Then the FDA should be reduced to testing for purity, and no substance should be Federally controlled. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say the Federal Government has the power, except to provide for standards of weight and measure. Definitely not to regulate what people take by any means. (Goodbye Federal tobacco laws, too).

Of course, the Feds tie funding to what they want, and states roll over like gutshot hyenas...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:21 am »
My mom's dad was always bitchin bout the revenooers. I can tell why. Man could make clear shine.

'Revenuers' is still a very legit term in my culture's lexicon. There ain't a redneck boy I know, not a one that doesn't know that term and what it means.

But them same redneck boys were standing with the bikers right behind the line of sheriff deputies when the Antifa/BLM came through here... So it ain't about lawbreaking... weird, huh?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:50 am »
Where I grew up, and later, where I went to college, being said to be able to "drive like a bootlegger" was a compliment to your skill.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2020, 12:56:17 am »
Anyone remember Paraquat?
Yep. It made California grass.

Before that (pre-paraquat) Mexican was fine enough that "Acapulco Gold" was a standard.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2020, 12:56:56 am »
And it's also what's driving people from Blue states to Red ones.

Which, for now, cabinetry is booming here. Lead times have doubled.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2020, 12:58:48 am »

Before that (pre-paraquat) Mexican was fine enough that "Acapulco Gold" was a standard.

"Tops from Oaxaxa".

Online libertybele

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2020, 12:59:34 am »

...hmmm ....some things tend to escape my memory, but I do remember "Acapulco Gold".  happy77

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2020, 01:02:17 am »

...hmmm ....some things tend to escape my memory, but I do remember "Acapulco Gold".  happy77

But not the Cuervo...right?  :laugh:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2020, 01:04:34 am »
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BILLS-116hr3884rh/pdf/BILLS-116hr3884rh.pdf

(d)  RETROACTIVITY.—

The  amendments  made  by  this section  to  the  Controlled  Substances  Act  (21  U.S.C.  801  et  15seq.)  are  retroactive  and  shall  apply  to  any  offense  committed,  case  pending,  conviction  entered,  and,  in  the  case of  a  juvenile,  any  offense  committed,  case  pending,  or  adjudication  of  juvenile  delinquency  entered  before,  on,  or  after the date of enactment of this Act.

CANNABIS PRODUCTS.—On cannabis products, manufactured in or imported into the United States, there shall be imposed a tax equal to 5 percent of the price for which sold.

CANNABIS PRODUCT.— ‘‘ IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in paragraph (2), the term ‘cannabis product’ means any cannabis or any article which contains cannabis or any derivative thereof. ‘‘

EXCEPTION.—The term ‘cannabis product’ shall not include any medicine or drug that is a prescribed drug (as such term is defined in section 213(d)(3)).

MANUFACTURER OF CANNABIS PRODUCTS.—

‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Any person who plants, cultivates, harvests, produces, manufactures, compounds, converts, processes, prepares, or packages any cannabis product shall be treated as a manufacturer of cannabis products (and as manufacturing such cannabis product).

EXCEPTION.—Paragraph (1) shall not apply with respect to any cannabis product which is for such person’s own personal consumption or use.