Author Topic: Report: Donald Trump Pressing to Reopen U.S. by May 1  (Read 2259 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Report: Donald Trump Pressing to Reopen U.S. by May 1
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 12:49:21 am »
All of the states need to open up now, with reasonable precautions.  Shutting down the economy is unprecedented and dangerous on many levels.  This is spiraling into an economic catastrophe that won't be undone for 10 years.  Most of those who will perish of the virus would have been dead long before we recover.  And we're killing the future with debt.  Lord knows what else will happen over the next few months ... there could be widespread civil unrest.
Abbott appears to be leading the way.

Texas gov Abbott eyes reopening state businesses as he preps executive order laying out guidelines
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/greg-abbott-texas-business-coronavirus-guidelines
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 12:58:29 am »
Agree with bele in post 9 above.

I just put up my thoughts here:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,397426.msg2187639.html#msg2187639

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 05:18:13 am »
Quite a few states have over 10,000 cases -- how as governor do you keep the hot spots closed and allow the rest of the state to function?  That won't work.  It would be foolish for LA, MI, TX, FL, NY, NJ, IL, PA, MA, CA to open before they see a vast reduction in cases and deaths. Setting any date is foolish. The country isn't going to see a reduction all at once. There are a handful of states with less than 500 cases -- let them get back to work.  The rest will need to wait to open when they see a substantial reduction.
On the other hand some Epidimiologists say that the shelter in place and six foot personal space rules are prolonging the Coronavirus, that by going on in a normal manner we would develop a herd immunity in a matter of weeks. Perhaps that's why we got over the Asian,  Avian and Swine flu pandemics without shutting the nation down and putting people under basically house arrest.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 07:59:21 pm »
GT Hawk wrote:
"that by going on in a normal manner we would develop a herd immunity in a matter of weeks..."

We could always ask the good citizens of Wuhan how well "herd immunity" worked for them... in those several weeks BEFORE the CCP was forced to put the city on quarantine...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 08:04:18 pm »
GT Hawk wrote:
"that by going on in a normal manner we would develop a herd immunity in a matter of weeks..."

We could always ask the good citizens of Wuhan how well "herd immunity" worked for them... in those several weeks BEFORE the CCP was forced to put the city on quarantine...
:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 08:08:07 pm »
GT Hawk wrote:

Well if you like to eat, somebody better start doing something. It's planting time, and whole industries support that. IF them seeds don't get in the ground, sh*ts gonna get real at harvest time.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:06 pm »
GT Hawk wrote:

I think to pick a date and arbitrarily say ready set, back to normal is wishful thinking.  Getting back to normal needs to be a slow process; certainly areas that are seeing no new cases and no new deaths should be allowed to get back to normal.  Areas that are showing a decline, should be able to get back to somewhat normal; continue social distancing in ALL businesses - i.e., tables in restaurants may have limited seating separating tables by 6 foot, waiting rooms in doctors -- every other chair -- keep distances in stores, open parks and beaches, and let kids return to school -- with strict guidelines that they MUST have temp checked as they enter schools and if they are sick they MUST stay home.  Those with pre-existing conditions need to proceed with extreme caution.  In those areas like NY, NJ and parts of FL -- continue the stay at home orders.

Once they are able to come up with massive testing to see who has built up immunity it will be much easier -- many have had mild symptoms and don't even know that they were infected.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 08:23:34 pm »
I think to pick a date and arbitrarily say ready set, back to normal is wishful thinking.  Getting back to normal needs to be a slow process; certainly areas that are seeing no new cases and no new deaths should be allowed to get back to normal.  Areas that are showing a decline, should be able to get back to somewhat normal; continue social distancing in ALL businesses - i.e., tables in restaurants may have limited seating separating tables by 6 foot, waiting rooms in doctors -- every other chair -- keep distances in stores, open parks and beaches, and let kids return to school -- with strict guidelines that they MUST have temp checked as they enter schools and if they are sick they MUST stay home.  Those with pre-existing conditions need to proceed with extreme caution.  In those areas like NY, NJ and parts of FL -- continue the stay at home orders.

Once they are able to come up with massive testing to see who has built up immunity it will be much easier -- many have had mild symptoms and don't even know that they were infected.

meh. Won't work. A restaurant NEEDS to be packed at breakfast, lunch, dinner and bar rush. Operate that at 1/3 efficiency and the business will be operating by incurring debt. Better to leave the doors closed. No, really: better to quit poking government noses into the People's business.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 08:30:08 pm »

Although, I want the reopening:
CDC: U.S. Coronavirus Cases Doubled in 1 Week
April 10, 2020, at 2:52 p.m.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2020-04-10/us-coronavirus-cases-doubled-in-1-week-cdc-says

This is not a good rate and if this continues??  But I don't blame his optimism.

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 08:33:28 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249048063618043906

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
WE WILL BUILD IT AGAIN!
1:53 PM · Apr 11, 2020

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 09:02:34 pm »
This is not a good rate and if this continues??  But I don't blame his optimism.
Some of that is simply catching up with testing and reporting. It doesn't really match what's going on in terms of hospitalizations, which have leveled off and should start declining. But as states continue to push "test, test, test," it'll make it look as if cases are still doubling. They haven't been for a while.

That's what makes me scratch my head about all this push for testing. It gives a false sense of what's actually going on.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 09:09:38 pm »
Some of that is simply catching up with testing and reporting. It doesn't really match what's going on in terms of hospitalizations, which have leveled off and should start declining. But as states continue to push "test, test, test," it'll make it look as if cases are still doubling. They haven't been for a while.

That's what makes me scratch my head about all this push for testing. It gives a false sense of what's actually going on.

Perhaps President Trump is inflating the numbers because he hates our liberty and freedom. /sarc

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2020, 10:15:14 pm »
FWIW. I think the President needs to give a prime time address to the nation detailing the scope of his decision and decision making process.  (Sharpen your pencils. Stephen)

Not from the oval office, but from the East Room ... with members of his administration and new counsel in attendance.

For better or worse, POTUS must own this moment.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:54 pm »
Perhaps President Trump is inflating the numbers because he hates our liberty and freedom. /sarc
I don't rule out some state governors doing just that. Especially the Democrats.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 10:43:36 pm »
GT Hawk wrote:

*****rollingeyes*****
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 10:44:36 pm »
He better open things back up soon or there's going to be revolts breaking out state by state against the draconian measures being put in place by opportunistic state and local officials.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 10:45:41 pm »
I don't rule out some state governors doing just that. Especially the Democrats.

The CDC has added "probable" cases and deaths to the numbers, but on our Ohio dashboard it still has "confirmed" cases and adds the CDC number (it's very small) for a total.

For example, today, the number of cases in Ohio is 6187 and the CDC probable number added is 63 for a total case number of 6250.

They told us yesterday in the presser that the CDC was adding to the confirmed total, but that we would be able to see the actual number....... and we can.

They have been transparent the entire time about everything, and I'm glad they're still being upfront about what's going on with the numbers.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 12:01:52 am »
GT Hawk wrote:

I would rebut with why don't you take a look at Sweden and their infection rates, deaths and recovery since they didn't commit economic suicide by shutting down instead of presenting China who lies like a dog as an example.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:11 am »
I don't question the rate but do question the seriousness of the numbers, how many tested had mild or very mild cases of infection? Any flu is dangerous to the elder and compromised and from what I have seen the vast majority of the deaths are among the elderly..........not that I am saying that's acceptable, but I also know that the death rates attributed to Covid - 19 are skewed because doctors are told to attribute deaths to Covid even if it just a contributing factor no matter how small.

I am not making light of the pandemic, just questioning why now, why are we treating this so different from the last three?  For the record I have a 89 year old mother who is high risk but I don't worry because she doesn't go out and has no visitors accept for me and my sister when she decides to show up. Also I am high risk, severe asthma, high blood pressure and diabetic but I have not changed my lifestyle one damn bit......I don't wear a mask and gloves( I know, what a Bastard!) but do practice the six foot rule, primarily so no one starts screaming at me.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 12:45:49 am »
Maybe Starwars day would be better; May the 4th be with you.
 888high58888

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2020, 12:56:18 am »
I'm fearing this is a set-up for President Trump...this 'reopening'.

If I wanted to guarantee his defeat, I would goad him into wholesale reopening, and then purposefully set a mutated COVID-19 in several major urban centers.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 12:56:40 am »

Actually that is a good rate.  In Italy and Spain for a while cases were doubling every three days. 

And they aren't bothering to report recoveries, so that's aggregate cases doubling every seven days.  People get either over this or die (for the unfortunate 2% to 3.4% of cases from it in 14 to 23 days.  So active cases are doubling every 11 days or so.

For my own county, a quarter of the 20 confirmed case has already recovered -- though you can't find that out by looking at the source all the media use (Johns Hopkins), only by looking at the county health department's press releases.  JH only takes data from the state level, and for some reason (probably not all county health departments providing the necessary data) the Kansas Department of Health and Environment isn't reporting recoveries.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 01:03:18 am »
I'm fearing this is a set-up for President Trump...this 'reopening'.

If I wanted to guarantee his defeat, I would goad him into wholesale reopening, and then purposefully set a mutated COVID-19 in several major urban centers.

@DCPatriot

Nah Fauci and Birx have already set him up for failure with the quarantines and shutting businesses down.  The economy tanked and that's what the Dems wanted.  Longer closures and restrictions to our homes only helps the Dems.

Not to mention all isolation does is slow the spread and prevents a build of of herd immunity to the virus.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2020, 01:17:28 am »
Connecticut numbers for the past 7 days:

infected     daily   deaths   daily
                  inc                  inc
5,276   362      165    33
5,675   399      189   24
6,906   1,231   206   17
7,781   875      277   71
8,781   1,000   335   58
9,784   1,003   380   45
10,538   754      448   68
11,510   972      494   46

Are we ready to re-open yet..?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:10 am »
Connecticut numbers for the past 7 days:

infected     daily   deaths   daily
                  inc                  inc
5,276   362      165    33
5,675   399      189   24
6,906   1,231   206   17
7,781   875      277   71
8,781   1,000   335   58
9,784   1,003   380   45
10,538   754      448   68
11,510   972      494   46

Are we ready to re-open yet..?

Way past time.  We're not a cowardly nation and what we are doing is very cowardly.