Author Topic: Report: Donald Trump Pressing to Reopen U.S. by May 1  (Read 2260 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Report: Donald Trump Pressing to Reopen U.S. by May 1
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2020, 01:13:49 am »
If the active cases are still increasing, then the shutdown is a catastrophic waste of resources.  We aren't going to lock people in their homes all summer.  The government needs to change its approach by the end of April.

Are you certain even more cases might have occured, without being shut-down?

Looking at the huge range of staate-by-state outcomes, I believe there is a great amoung that is NOT known..

I believe the shut-downs were a hedge in the direction of saving human lives.

Hindsight is always easy to do.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2020, 03:09:37 am »
Are you certain even more cases might have occured, without being shut-down?

Looking at the huge range of staate-by-state outcomes, I believe there is a great amoung that is NOT known..

I believe the shut-downs were a hedge in the direction of saving human lives.

Hindsight is always easy to do.

I believe there would have been more cases, but less long-term economic damage.  JP Morgan is forecasting a 40% drop in GDP this quarter, and 20% unemployment by the end of April.  If this policy continues, millions of families are going to lose everything they own, and our government will bankrupt itself trying to keep up appearances.

Offline bilo

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2020, 05:15:50 pm »
I believe there would have been more cases, but less long-term economic damage.  JP Morgan is forecasting a 40% drop in GDP this quarter, and 20% unemployment by the end of April.  If this policy continues, millions of families are going to lose everything they own, and our government will bankrupt itself trying to keep up appearances.

In the last recession, cancer rates went up, drug overdoses went up, suicides went up and businesses failed. I understand Trump's initial response to this crisis and support it, but now that we know we aren't going to run out of hospital beds, ventilators, and have found treatments for the Wuhan Virus it's time to start getting back to normal.

In my business, real estate, I'm feeling the pinch with renters deciding to just not pay and being unable to show empty apartments. I'm fortunate though, I've been in the business long enough that I'm not carrying a lot of debt. However, I know several people who aren't so lucky especially the small suppliers who provide specialized services and hardware. I suspect a fair number of them are going to be bankrupted if we don't get the economy opened up soon. Contrary to public opinion the vast majority of these people I know developed their businesses by working long hours, sacrificing a lot of simple pleasures and putting all their savings at risk with no guarantees. We need to save them as much as we need to save anyone who gets sick. 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home