Author Topic: 'I don't take responsibility at all': Trump deflects blame for coronavirus testing fumble  (Read 6903 times)

Offline skeeter

What happened to you?

I guess I must be one of those c-j P-MAGA guys because I am grateful for President Trump's leadership in a time like this.  So, put me on that side of the scorecard.

Add me to that list.

Knee jerk cynicism is never pretty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I am grateful for the President's leadership, too.  I can't imagine how bad this would be if Obama was in office, especially when one considers his response to H1N1.

Everything would be lollipops and unicorn farts if this was O'Bastard because the press would spike any negative stories.  With Trump they dress that shit up in sequins and put it on parade.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Add me to that list.

Knee jerk cynicism is never pretty.

Knee-jerk anything is never pretty.  It indicates a lack of any thought.  It's a thin line between that and trolling, and it can be difficult to tell the difference.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

Knee-jerk anything is never pretty.  It indicates a lack of any thought.  It's a thin line between that and trolling, and it can be difficult to tell the difference.

True, but during such a time as now it is less than unhelpful. Trolling doesn't seem to describe it adequately.

Online Hoodat

When this is over, the press will be bashing Trump for overreacting.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Lando Lincoln

At this moment, that is his only option. He must strive for that.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
True, but during such a time as now it is less than unhelpful. Trolling doesn't seem to describe it adequately.

Well, for me as a Mod I have consider the "trolling" aspect because that requires me to issue time-outs.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

That is assuming that we don't have the projected number of deaths if this virus isn't contained.  They are proposing to shut down restaurants/bars for 14 days to reduce public interaction to contain this virus, if not they are estimating that over 2 million will die.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
At this moment, that is his only option. He must strive for that.

It's like many other things in life.  It's better to have too much food for a dinner party than not enough.  Speaking of which, I was at a political fund-raiser last night, and I ate a two-pound slab of Prime Rib.  We had some pre-paid no-shows so there was an ocean of food, so Mrs. Liberty went to town on the roasted Salmon too.  We savagely broke our diets.  Yum!
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

That is assuming that we don't have the projected number of deaths if this virus isn't contained.  They are proposing to shut down restaurants/bars for 14 days to reduce public interaction to contain this virus, if not they are estimating that over 2 million will die.

From 57 to 2 million - that'd be one helluva hockey stick.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

If it turns out to have been an over-reaction, history will be kind to President Trump, despite the Press' best efforts to paint him as incompetent.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
President Trump has been a 'Problem-Solver' his entire life.

It's his very essence.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Hoodat

if not they are estimating that over 2 million will die.

Who is "they"?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

I should say "he"  - Dr. Fauci.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/politics/anthony-fauci-national-lockdown-bars-restaurants-cnntv/index.html

@libertybele

Fauci never said 2 million.  Here is an account from ABC News (via the Hill) of a New York Times story on the CDC's  worst case scenario projections which were between 200k and 1.7 million.  This is quite a large gap for "worst case", showing that 200,000 deaths is one end of the spectrum for "worst case".  But here is what Fauci said:

ABC’s Jonathan Karl asked Fauci on “This Week” about the New York Times report on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) worst-case projections. The CDC reportedly predicted 160 million to 214 million infections, 2.4 million to 21 million hospitalizations and 200,000 to 1.7 million deaths in the country.

Fauci responded that a model is “only as good as the assumptions you put into a model.”

“The worst-case scenario is either you do nothing or your mitigation and containments don't succeed,” he said “So although that's possible, it is unlikely if we do the kinds of things that we're essentially outlining right now.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/487626-fauci-worst-case-deaths-unlikely-if-we-do-the-kinds-of-things-that

Are we doing nothing?  Certainly not.  Which is why these worst-case hysteria generating stories are worthless.  Fauci never said 2 million. Stop listening to reporters.  Question everything.  Double-check anything you are being told.  Find the source.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I consider such members, to be phony "conservatives"

They are basically doing the same thing with Trump, that lefties and the media have done with each Republican dating to at least Goldwater. Oh wait, dating to Sen. Nixon, an early commie-hunter.

The left hated Nixon
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

@libertybele

Fauci never said 2 million.  Here is an account from ABC News (via the Hill) of a New York Times story on the CDC's  worst case scenario projections which were between 200k and 1.7 million.  This is quite a large gap for "worst case", showing that 200,000 deaths is one end of the spectrum for "worst case".  But here is what Fauci said:

Are we doing nothing?  Certainly not.  Which is why these worst-case hysteria generating stories are worthless.  Fauci never said 2 million. Stop listening to reporters.  Question everything.  Double-check anything you are being told.  Find the source.

Up until very recently the military had a plan in the event of war with Great Britain. Did that mean war with GB was anything but the most remote possibility? No.

I look at Fauci's comments in that light. Contingency planning is what the government SHOULD be doing, irrespective of how unlikely their scenarios are.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

What happened to you?

I don't know.  I see things differently.

I guess I must be one of those c-j P-MAGA guys because I am grateful for President Trump's leadership in a time like this.  So, put me on that side of the scorecard.

I see a president who started out scoffing at the virus.  Feb 2nd he knew there was a problem and banned travel from China https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-fact-check.html
Mr. Trump spoke with the Fox News personality Sean Hannity: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China,” Mr. Trump said of the coronavirus. “But we can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. So, we’re going to see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

Feb. 14 - “There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm — historically, that has been able to kill the virus. So we don’t know yet; we’re not sure yet.”
on Feb. 27 the first confirmed US case is reported and the stock market goes into free fall. 
on Feb. 28th Trump continues to take a victory lap and says “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done." ~Donald Trump 2/28/20

You can read the President's stupid excuses and impotence at the link. On March 11th he addressed the nation and admitted there was still a problem.  On the 13th I commended President Trump on finally declaring a National Emergency, unfortunately it has come severely late.  3000 are confirmed infected and 60 are dead. 

You see leadership.  I see a president who has systematically destroyed America's faith in institutions like the CDC, who dismantled our Pandemic response team, and fought his experts and advisors every step of they way in stopping this deadly and costly pandemic, because his colossal ego tells him they are all dumber than what I, and many others are calling the stupidest President in history.   

What happened to you?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

That's not supposed to be funny is it?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

That's not supposed to be funny is it?

No, it is sad.  Tens of millions of Americans will be affected in the coming weeks - not by the virus, but by the panic that has been generated purely as a political tool.  And when this is over, and people go back to their normal lives wondering what the big deal was all about, our press and their political allies will shift the narrative in order to continue their main political goal by any means necessary.  And if that means a complete reversal in their rhetoric, they won't hesitate for a second.

In the meantime, there have been small nuggets of truth dotting a superfluous crescendo of DNC talking points - Gavin Newsom's praise of the Administration being one.  But President's enemies don't care.  Their contempt for this Administration supersedes everything else.  And they will rejoice at the destruction of our economy if it means removing Trump from office.

Sad indeed.

Offline skeeter

No, it is sad.  Tens of millions of Americans will be affected in the coming weeks - not by the virus, but by the panic that has been generated purely as a political tool.  And when this is over, and people go back to their normal lives wondering what the big deal was all about, our press and their political allies will shift the narrative in order to continue their main political goal by any means necessary.  And if that means a complete reversal in their rhetoric, they won't hesitate for a second.

In the meantime, there have been small nuggets of truth dotting a superfluous crescendo of DNC talking points - Gavin Newsom's praise of the Administration being one.  But President's enemies don't care.  Their contempt for this Administration supersedes everything else.  And they will rejoice at the destruction of our economy if it means removing Trump from office.

Sad indeed.

Of course. And just because one doesn't buy into the panic does not mean one doesn't understand the potential seriousness of the pandemic. Perhaps they understand that the economic dislocation caused by an unnecessarily hysterical reaction to Coronavirus is also dangerous.

BTW 20,000 Americans have died from the annual flu so far this year. Yet no one gives a crap about them.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Of course. And just because one doesn't buy into the panic does not mean one doesn't understand the potential seriousness of the pandemic. Perhaps they understand that the economic dislocation caused by an unnecessarily hysterical reaction to Coronavirus is also dangerous.

BTW 20,000 Americans have died from the annual flu so far this year. Yet no one gives a crap about them.

And thus, sure as God made little green apples, you can be sure that the annual flu fatality numbers will be unreliable this year.

Everything will be attributed to Covid-19.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DB

Yet many of these new deaths are not the people who would have died from the flu which tends to be the very old. The flu just pushes them over the edge. This is going to affect people that normally would not have much problem with the flu. And that's the primary difference.

Offline skeeter

Yet many of these new deaths are not the people who would have died from the flu which tends to be the very old. The flu just pushes them over the edge. This is going to affect people that normally would not have much problem with the flu. And that's the primary difference.

Do we know that for certain? My understanding is the preponderance of US deaths have been elderly, average aged 81, most with underlying health conditions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:23:20 pm by skeeter »