Author Topic: 'I don't take responsibility at all': Trump deflects blame for coronavirus testing fumble  (Read 6891 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

I don't know.  I see things differently.

That you may see things differently than me or any of us is just fine.  You have always been a bit to the left of me in your political views (that is not a critical judgment on my part, and perhaps even one that is wrong).  I respect that.  When you are thoughtful and expressive, you make a valuable counterpoint to many of us.

But that was not the point of my question, "What happened to you?"  The premise of that question is/was - I seem to remember you when you would not have responded to a fairly expressed question or viewpoint with, "So you vote circle-jerk Pro-MAGA bubble too?"

As for what happened to me?  Well... while I remain critical of the President at times, I realize that he is the last line of defense to preserve what I hold dear.  Simple and without elaboration.  Others have ably stated those reasons.  I came to this with a simple realization framed in a question:  If not him, who?  Who? 

We are in unprecedented times in many respects.  Perilous.  It is interesting that those most critical of the President's response to this virus threat are the very same people who monumentally distracted him and his administration with a faux impeachment charade while the threat grew.  What is their culpability?

Long gone are my days of expressing my political views in paragraphs.  But, if you fairly state your opinion to me, I will not respond in the manner referenced above. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:24:49 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Once-Ler
@skeeter
@Cyber Liberty

LOL!  Once-Ler is giving y'all wedgies.   ...Knoogies...raspberries.     

Poor guy is bored to trolling now that the NBA and NHL are sitting.   ESPN should be selling gold coins any minute now.    :laugh:

I think I might have developed a special affinity for the wedgies.  It came to me when I got the Admin badge. 888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

@Once-Ler
@skeeter
@Cyber Liberty

LOL!  Once-Ler is giving y'all wedgies.   ...Knoogies...raspberries.     

Poor guy is bored to trolling now that the NBA and NHL are sitting.   ESPN should be selling gold coins any minute now.    :laugh:

True story... I swear...

Back in the day, I became fairly well-acquainted with Congressman Jim Traficant.  Yes, "Beam me up, Scotty" Jim Traficant.  Well, one morning, I went to meet him for breakfast and I had a young tag-along gentleman with me.  When I introduced the young fresh-faced fellow to the Congressman, Traficant suddenly got the guy in a headlock and gave him a noogie. 

I swear, I swear... true.
John Steinbeck

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
True story... I swear...

Back in the day, I became fairly well-acquainted with Congressman Jim Traficant.  Yes, "Beam me up, Scotty" Jim Traficant.  Well, one morning, I went to meet him for breakfast and I had a young tag-along gentleman with me.  When I introduced the young fresh-faced fellow to the Congressman, Traficant suddenly got the guy in a headlock and gave him a noogie. 

I miss the long-ago times at FR, when Registered was there.  This isn't his, but he did one similar.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

I miss the long-ago times at FR, when Registered was there.  This isn't his, but he did one similar.

Its no surprise Traficant was wantonly doling out noogies. No one had the courage to reciprocate.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Its no surprise Traficant was wantonly doling out noogies. No one had the courage to reciprocate.

Did he hand out noogies like they were postage stamps?
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
True story... I swear...

:silly:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

True story... I swear...

My Dad’s and his second wife’s Congressman.

This story doesn’t surprise me one single bit!  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

That you may see things differently than me or any of us is just fine.  You have always been a bit to the left of me in your political views (that is not a critical judgment on my part, and perhaps even one that is wrong).  I respect that.  When you are thoughtful and expressive, you make a valuable counterpoint to many of us.

But that was not the point of my question, "What happened to you?"  The premise of that question is/was - I seem to remember you when you would not have responded to a fairly expressed question or viewpoint with, "So you vote circle-jerk Pro-MAGA bubble too?"

Yeah, that looks pretty bad, but in my defense I was pretty angry at the world and it didn't seem as aggressive or hyperbolic at the time.  Sorry @dancer

As for what happened to me?  Well... while I remain critical of the President at times, I realize that he is the last line of defense to preserve what I hold dear.  Simple and without elaboration.  Others have ably stated those reasons.  I came to this with a simple realization framed in a question:  If not him, who?  Who?

That's logical

We are in unprecedented times in many respects.  Perilous.  It is interesting that those most critical of the President's response to this virus threat are the very same people who monumentally distracted him and his administration with a faux impeachment charade while the threat grew.  What is their culpability?

I tend to blame President Trump for causing his impeachment, but I respect your opinion.

Long gone are my days of expressing my political views in paragraphs.  But, if you fairly state your opinion to me, I will not respond in the manner referenced above.

and that's fair minded.   :beer:

Offline Mesaclone

Thank you for the response @HoodatFrom my point of view I think it will be harder for President Trump to respond to the virus if he only sees it in terms of panicked over-reaction and a political tool of the democrats and MSM. 

And there it is. The subtle lie lie used by the media...and right here on this board by Once-ler...to create a false narrative.

The President has NEVER seen this event in "terms of panicked over-reaction" nor believed it to have been created as a "political tool of the democrats and MSM". What he HAS said is that panic only makes a crisis situation worse...and that the Dems and MSM are using the virus as a political tool. Those are two VASTLY different assertions...the first an outright and outrageous lie. The second, a very rational and factually supportable assertion of common sense.

For some bizarre and unknown reason, you are swallowing whole the Dem horseshit about the President calling the whole thing an overreaction BECAUSE it confirms your previous view of the man...whilst you conveniently set aside the fact that the President has said nothing of the sort. Worse, your repeating the other Dem lie that the President sees the virus as being created as a tool to hurt him politically...again...an absurd lie meant to paint the president as paranoid, uncaring and science-phobic.

So I would ask simply...why would you further these two rather obvious lies by phrasing your statement as you've done?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:37:37 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Lando Lincoln

Yeah, that looks pretty bad, but in my defense I was pretty angry at the world and it didn't seem as aggressive or hyperbolic at the time.  Sorry @dancer

That's logical

I tend to blame President Trump for causing his impeachment, but I respect your opinion.

and that's fair minded.   :beer:

:beer:
John Steinbeck

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just heard Trump is considering a pardon for Flynn.

Roll the ball and watch the press stop chewing on the virus bone & go bounding after it.

If not a stable genius, he certainly has the media's number.
He's been using twitter to make the Media jump like using a laser pointer to entertain a cat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

...  From my point of view I think it will be harder for President Trump to respond to the virus if he only sees it in terms of panicked over-reaction and a political tool of the democrats and MSM.  I bet Nancy Pelosi hopes Trump continues the battle from that perspective.  ...

@Once-Ler, if Trump is "responding to the virus" as "if he only sees it in terms of panicked over-reaction and a political tool of the democrats and MSM," he has a strange way of demonstrating what you claim:

The US started screening arriving passengers from China: January 17, 2020, JFK, SFO, LAX https://www.businessinsider.com/new-disease-virus-china-us-airports-screening-cdc-2020-1 ; O'Hare and Hartsfield-Jackson January 22, 2020, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/21/us-screenings-coronavirus-expanded-airports-atlanta-chicago/

Pharmaceuticals company working with US government to develop vaccine: January 22, 2020, Moderna, https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/moderna-is-working-on-a-vaccine-for-chinas-deadly-coronavirus.html

State Department raised the travel advisory for China to Level 4, do not travel: January 31, 2020, https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-flight-ban-delta-cuts-all-flights-white-house/4620989002/

Trump declared a public health emergency: January 31, 2020, https://abcnews.go.com/Health/delta-suspends-us-flights-china-amid-coronavirus/story?id=68666037

People entering the US from China forbidden: February 2, 2020, https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/02/us/coronavirus-us-travel-restrictions/index.html This effectively ended flights from and to China, for obvious reasons. The current date for flights to resume is March 30, 2020.

An NIH clinical trial of Remdesivir begun: February 25, 2020, at University of Nebraska Medical Center, https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-remdesivir-treat-covid-19-begins

Experimental vaccine submitted for testing: February 26, 2020, Moderna, https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/business/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

Army signed agreement with Gilead on experimental COVID-19 treatment: March 10, 2020, https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/03/10/army-signs-agreement-with-drug-giant-gilead-on-experimental-covid-19-treatment/

People entering the US from Europe forbidden: Announced March 11,2020, effective March 13, 2020, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/travelers-rush-into-us-ahead-of-ban-on-europe-arrivals/ar-BB1173CZ

Trump's actions demonstrate how he views and has responded to the coronavirus.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:13:06 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Trump's actions demonstrate how he views and has responded to the coronavirus.

Thank you for your reply @PeteS in CA
You seem well read.  You've offered many sourced points, so I am sure I do not need to quote to you, and point out all the times the President showed how little he was concerned about the virus, nor the many times he contradicted or denied his advisors before his policy matched with theirs.  I still believe the President was dragged to his actions of March 11 and 12th by the Stock Market and not empathy for others...the exponential growth in deaths will be his legacy.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You seem well read.  You've offered many sourced points, so I am sure I do not need to quote to you, and point out all the times the President showed how little he was concerned about the virus, nor the many times he contradicted or denied his advisors before his policy matched with theirs.  I still believe the President was dragged to his actions of March 11 and 12th by the Stock Market and not empathy for others...the exponential growth in deaths will be his legacy.

Do you have anything constructive to add anymore, now that you decided to deny the stories and links presented for your edification? 
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

You have, as they say, "jumped the shark".

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Do you have anything constructive to add anymore, now that you decided to deny the stories and links presented for your edification?

@Cyber Liberty

Actually I thanked Pete, weighed the points and rather than pick them apart as mostly not germane I offered my own observations.

But lets now look at the links.

The first article doesn't mention Trump, but rather the federal health official and institutions like the CDC that President Trump later rejected. 

Ditto the second article

The third article does point out that The U.S. State Department elevated its China travel advisory to level 4, recommending that Americans do not travel there, but it also indicates the cut flights were due to employee pressure.

I'm sorry we do not both recognize the President's foot dragging.  Perhaps we could agree that in the absence of actual evidence, the American voters don't have to agree with you?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Actually I thanked Pete, weighed the points and rather than pick them apart as mostly not germane I offered my own observations.

The first article doesn't mention Trump, but rather the federal health official and institutions like the CDC that President Trump later rejected. 

Ditto the second article

The third article does point out that The U.S. State Department elevated its China travel advisory to level 4, recommending that Americans do not travel there, but it also indicates the cut flights were due to employee pressure.

I'm sorry we do not both recognize the President's foot dragging.  Perhaps we could agree that in the absence of actual evidence, the American voters don't have to agree with you?

If any of the agencies that are under Trump were to have dropped one ball, you would be the first to criticize the President for it, with the "only hires the best" line.  If everything bad the Executive does is Trump's fault,, then you have to agree that everything good the Executive does is a feather in his cap.  Well, unless one is a hypocrite.
I will NOT comply.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
If any of the agencies that are under Trump were to have dropped one ball, you would be the first to criticize the President for it, with the "only hires the best" line.  If everything bad the Executive does is Trump's fault,, then you have to agree that everything good the Executive does is a feather in his cap.  Well, unless one is a hypocrite.

Except that.... that kind of hyper-partisan assholery goes waaay beyond mere hypocrisy.   A hypocrite would be several zillion steps up.  888mouth   :smokin:
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

fair enough

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

https://markets.businessinsider.com/index/dow_jones

also

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,394988.msg2168413.html#msg2168413

In case my constant criticism of President Trump is perceived otherwise, I commend the President for declaring a National Emergency today, and presumably authorizing increased testing.  I know he didn't want to inflate the numbers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:15:48 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
@Cyber Liberty

Ditto the second article

I'm thankful for you.  Keeping it real.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

I'm thankful for you.  Keeping it real.
I'm thankful for you too.
You've reminded me that I'm also thankful to @Cyber Liberty for his respectful tenacity in challenging my assertions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:39:12 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I'm thankful for you too.
You've reminded me that I'm also thankful to @Cyber Liberty for his respectful tenacity in challenging my assertions.
:thumbsup:

Always.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.