Author Topic: Meet the Insane People Still Planning Cruise Ship Vacations  (Read 1560 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Meet the Insane People Still Planning Cruise Ship Vacations
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:28:43 pm »
Meet the Insane People Still Planning Cruise Ship Vacations
COME SAIL AWAY

Some people see the prospect of a deadly virus and a 14-day quarantine and run far, far away. Others see the deal of a lifetime.
Sam Stein

Politics Editor
Updated Mar. 10, 2020 5:53PM ET / Published Mar. 10, 2020 2:22PM ET

The cruise ship industry is reeling. The outbreak of the new coronavirus has made the basic fundamentals of the business medically inadvisable to the point that the State Department has issued a warning to U.S. travelers—chief among them the elderly—to stop taking cruise ships until the threat has passed.

And yet, even as thousands of people have found themselves stuck on ocean liners, in close confines with others suffering from a deadly virus, not everyone is ready to bag their cruise ship getaway. Indeed, while some shudder at the prospect of enduring severe flu-like symptoms and a 14-day quarantine, others see the vacation deal of a lifetime materializing before their eyes.

Kenny Human, a 33-year-old lawyer from Kentucky, is one of those deal seekers. Five days ago, in the height of the coronavirus scare, he decided to purchase a Carnival Cruise trip leaving New Orleans in May for a venture through the western Caribbean. He doesn’t believe the coronavirus is a hoax. He doesn’t think fears of it are overhyped. And his girlfriend tried to convince him it was a bad idea. But, in the end, the price—about $400 per ticket when counting taxes and cancellation insurance—was just too damn good.

more
https://www.thedailybeast.com/meet-the-insane-people-still-planning-cruise-ship-vacations-despite-coronavirus
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Meet the Insane People Still Planning Cruise Ship Vacations
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:06:53 pm »
This is the time to travel.  Southwest too is offering airfare reductions under the guise of one of its numerous fare sales.  If I wanted to go to Tampa in a couple of weeks, I can find fares as low as $49 one way.  Don't see major reductions at hotels though, at least not yet. 

One thing though about cruise ships.  They aren't known for cleanliness.  Remember the Norwalk virus?  I sailed five times and never had a problem, but it is risky especially if there is a possibility of illness and the passenger already has health problems.

I love cruising and would go if I could, but I don't want to leave the US these days.  Still, I don't blame these people for taking advantage of a bargain.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:11:01 am »
Latest

Cruise industry proposes travel restrictions for passengers over 70 as coronavirus spreads
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-industry-proposes-travel-ban-for-people-over-70.html

This must be tough for them, as the +70 crowd has the cash and the time both.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 02:13:20 am »
This is the time to travel.  Southwest too is offering airfare reductions under the guise of one of its numerous fare sales.  If I wanted to go to Tampa in a couple of weeks, I can find fares as low as $49 one way.  Don't see major reductions at hotels though, at least not yet.
Why not try to get a hotel room in Houston sometime in the next two weeks?

I bet the canceling of the Rodeo will have a lot of empty hotel rooms they need to fill.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:19:44 am »

Kenny Human, a 33-year-old lawyer from Kentucky, is one of those deal seekers. Five days ago, in the height of the coronavirus scare, he decided to purchase a Carnival Cruise trip leaving New Orleans in May for a venture through the western Caribbean. He doesn’t believe the coronavirus is a hoax. He doesn’t think fears of it are overhyped. And his girlfriend tried to convince him it was a bad idea. But, in the end, the price—about $400 per ticket when counting taxes and cancellation insurance—was just too damn good.

Has there even been a reported Coronovirus death in the U.S. of anyone under 50?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:08 am »
We're keeping our cruise plans for late June to Alaska.

Won't cancel unless things get a whole heck of a lot worse.

And I'm 70.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:55:32 am »
Why not try to get a hotel room in Houston sometime in the next two weeks?

I bet the canceling of the Rodeo will have a lot of empty hotel rooms they need to fill.

Well, if I had any reason to go to Houston, I probably would.  I was looking at rates in my favorite state-- Florida.  Right now, I guess much of  Florida still has the spring break crowd and the hotels aren't hurting there yet.  But afterwards -- who knows?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:16 am »

And I'm 70.

You're smart to hold onto those reservations.  At this point, no one knows what will happen -- for all we know, the virus could be gone by June. 

I was thinking -- maybe you could get a cabin upgrade if there are cancellations?

By the way, enjoy!  I've never been to Alaska, but from the photos I've seen from people who have been there --the scenery is spectacular. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 12:43:48 pm »
We're so glad not to have planned to go to Boston for the marathon next month (We go most years, and Mr. M frequently runs the race). We always book far in advance, and if it ends up getting cancelled, would be out a lot of $.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 01:05:11 pm »
You're smart to hold onto those reservations.  At this point, no one knows what will happen -- for all we know, the virus could be gone by June. 

I was thinking -- maybe you could get a cabin upgrade if there are cancellations?

By the way, enjoy!  I've never been to Alaska, but from the photos I've seen from people who have been there --the scenery is spectacular.

My mom went the summer after my dad died. It was the trip of a lifetime for her. Also perfect timing because the two years later she’s pretty much unable to do walks of any distance without assistance.

She found her cruise through AARP, so it was all adults, no children. Some people might want that.

I hope you can go @musiclady. It sounds wonderful
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:05:59 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:12:06 pm »

And I'm 70.

I took my mom and my brother and his family on an Alaskan Cruise a few years back.  It was the trip of a lifetime.  Take all of the excursions you can afford.  We flew a helicopter up to a glacier in Juneau plus whale watching there.  Flew by pontoon boat around whatever national park that is at Ketchikan and also salmon fishing.  Coming from West Texas where we have no water or mountains or trees for that matter....it was an absolute treat.  I hope you have a great time!!!!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 01:13:32 pm »

And I'm 70.

Good for you. I really don't think there's a need for panic. Alaska will be beautiful in June.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Idiot

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 01:16:18 pm »
Well, if I had any reason to go to Houston, I probably would.  I was looking at rates in my favorite state-- Florida.  Right now, I guess much of  Florida still has the spring break crowd and the hotels aren't hurting there yet.  But afterwards -- who knows?
I have NO reason to ever return to Houston....too many people.  We played in a tennis tournament there in a few of the downtown indoor tennis clubs.  You'd finish one match and it would take you over an hour to make it to the next match location downtown and they were only blocks apart.  We played at the City Club, Galleria and the Met....I think there was another one as well.  Great facilities, but who wants to live like that.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 01:28:43 pm »
I have NO reason to ever return to Houston....too many people.  We played in a tennis tournament there in a few of the downtown indoor tennis clubs.  You'd finish one match and it would take you over an hour to make it to the next match location downtown and they were only blocks apart.  We played at the City Club, Galleria and the Met....I think there was another one as well.  Great facilities, but who wants to live like that.

Outside Clayton Library (which is one of the best genealogy libraries in the country) and Minute Maid Park for an Astros game,   I really have no need or desire to go anywhere within the 610 loop. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 01:32:54 pm »
I agree, living like that is one thing.  I could say that about any city in the world.  But staying in a hotel and visiting is something else.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 01:33:18 pm »
Outside Clayton Library (which is one of the best genealogy libraries in the country) and Minute Maid Park for an Astros game,   I really have no need or desire to go anywhere within the 610 loop.
My parents have 3 file cabinets full of genealogical info that they collected over the years.  They couldn't pass a cemetery without them going in to look for head stones.  Turns out we are kin to Abraham Lincoln's wife....she was crazy you know....LOLOLOL.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 01:35:02 pm »
Then pray no one in your family gets cancer like my wife has, which is the reason I happened to be in Houston this week visiting MD Anderson.

And if someone does get cancer, MDA is the best and will take one inside the loop.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 01:36:20 pm »
Then pray no one in your family gets cancer like my wife has, which is the reason I happened to be in Houston this week visiting MD Anderson.

And if someone does get cancer, MDA is the best and will take one inside the loop.
MDA is the best.  Adding you and your wife to my prayers...….

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 01:36:58 pm »
MDA is the best.  Adding you and your wife to my prayers...….
TY

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 01:49:23 pm »

I’m so sorry @IsailedawayfromFR . Adding your wife and family to my prayers as well.  :0001:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Adding my prayers for you, your wife and family.

Offline verga

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 02:04:01 pm »

Adding to prayers. Please add her tot he prayer list. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,215160.0.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:04:56 pm by verga »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:28 pm »

And I'm 70.

@musiclady

If you have not gone to Alaska before, and if you are traveling and stopping or starting near Anchorage, I highly recommend a bus or train trip up to Denali.  We lived in Alaska for 4 years before returning to Texas.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:38:04 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 05:01:47 pm »
@musiclady

If you have not gone to Alaska before, and if you are traveling and stopping or starting near Anchorage, I highly recommend a bus or train trip up to Denali.  We lived in Alaska for 4 years before returning to Texas.

Thanks!

Our plans are to fly into Fairbanks, go south to Denali and Mt. McKinley, then take the train to the coast and the cruise ship from there.

We have several good excursions planned as well, one of which is to take a smaller ship into one of the glaciers.

I really, REALLY hope this trip doesn't have to be canceled!

(If you have any suggestions as to what kinds of things to see in a short time in Fairbanks, Ketchican, Skagway and Juneau, let us know.  We've basically just got city tours planned, but if there's some place special you know about, let me know!)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:30 pm »
Good for you. I really don't think there's a need for panic. Alaska will be beautiful in June.

I can't wait.  We'll only cancel if we have no choice, but the conversation we had with the cruise line a few days ago sounds like there have been no problems in Alaska at all, so I think we'll be good.