Author Topic: Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born  (Read 1926 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born
« on: September 04, 2019, 01:18:40 pm »
Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born
by Rob Crilly
 | September 04, 2019 12:00 AM

The White House briefing room has many functions: a storage space for tripods and camera gear, a backdrop for visitor photos, a temporary workspace for journalists without a desk.

What it is not, at least since March 11, is a venue for President Trump’s press secretary to brief reporters on administration policies.

Next week will mark six months since the last White House “daily” briefing, another erosion of transparency and democracy under Trump or a sad indictment of the “fake news” media’s incivility, depending on your view.

"The reason Sarah Sanders does not go to the 'podium' much anymore is that the press covers her so rudely & inaccurately, in particular certain members of the press,” is how Trump defended the scarcity of briefings earlier this year. “I told her not to bother, the word gets out anyway!"

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-white-house-briefing-has-been-dead-for-six-months
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:53:53 pm »
The White House Press Corps press killed the White House press briefing by being unable to control their TDS.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 02:15:25 pm »
This has been building since the days of ferrite face Sam Donaldson.  Back in the days of Ronald Reagan, the brash and cantankerous reporter with the worst toupee in television history made his name by yelling at the president. There had been other famous reporters (early Helen Thomas, Bill Plante, Merriman Smith), but all of them conducted themselves with the proper decorum and respect when covering the White House.

Since then, it’s only gotten worse. Bill Clinton got a pass from the mostly liberal mainstream media, but when George W. Bush took office, the White House press corps went to hell.

A self inflicted wound I would say... and this circle of jerks will not be missed
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:18:20 pm »
The White House Press Corps press killed the White House press briefing by being unable to control their TDS.

You took the words right off my keyboard.   :thumbsup:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:22:51 pm »

LOL!  They thought they had a green light to act like their network anchors, newsreaders and pundits.

Perversely, we should feel glad that they've all come out in the open for everybody to see who they are.

I hope about twenty million millennials take off their blinders.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 02:26:41 pm »
This has been building since the days of ferrite face Sam Donaldson.  Back in the days of Ronald Reagan, the brash and cantankerous reporter with the worst toupee in television history made his name by yelling at the president. There had been other famous reporters (early Helen Thomas, Bill Plante, Merriman Smith), but all of them conducted themselves with the proper decorum and respect when covering the White House.

Since then, it’s only gotten worse. Bill Clinton got a pass from the mostly liberal mainstream media, but when George W. Bush took office, the White House press corps went to hell.

A self inflicted wound I would say... and this circle of jerks will not be missed

I had the opportunity to visit the press briefing room in those days - Donaldson's cubicle was an absolute pigsty. mirrored his thinking.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »
The truth is that they weren't about the dissemination of information from the White House to the American People.  They were about giving the nightly (and then 24/7) news shows sensationalist fodder for their broadcasts.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 03:19:19 pm »
Trump is a petulant child when speaking to the media or any one that may question him.

Hopefully whoever is the next President does not follow his lead in this case. We, the people, need these briefings.

As the article says, not having these is an erosion of transparency and democracy.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:25:22 pm »
Trump is a petulant child when speaking to the media or any one that may question him.

Hopefully whoever is the next President does not follow his lead in this case. We, the people, need these briefings.

As the article says, not having these is an erosion of transparency and democracy.

Not so much transparency and democracy as it is erosion of the April Ryan/Jim Acosta Goodtime Hour. And I never found them very entertaining anyway.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »
Contrary to early memes and pundit narratives about Donald Trump...

Trump reads a lot.
Trump always solicits and listens to other principal opinions.
Trump never changed from his campaign persona or his agenda. He is steadfastly who he is.
Trump is open and transparent, and will talk at length with reporters wherever he goes, despite having “killed” WH briefings.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 03:36:29 pm »

Perhaps, but this article refers to the press briefings conducted by the Press Secretary, not by the President.  So do you believe that Sarah Huckabee Sanders also "is a petulant child when speaking to the media or anyone that may question [her]?"

Why?

Every single bit of information previously disseminated by the press secretary herself verbally can be (and now is) put out in writing.  As long as the information gets out, what difference does the format make in terms of "transparency"?

These briefings long since stopped being about transparency -- they became about journalists who wanted to argue with someone because 1) they disagreed with the administration's policies, and 2) it gave them a job.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:50 pm »
The truth is that they weren't about the dissemination of information from the White House to the American People.  They were about giving the nightly (and then 24/7) news shows sensationalist fodder for their broadcasts.

Indeed.

Trump was wise to stop them.  I can't imagine how much further they would have degraded as the media monkeys played "can you top this?" each day....

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 03:44:55 pm »
Right -- they weren't gathering news or information.  They were simply trying to argue policy, and the briefings because more about the (often rhetorical) questions asked than whatever the answers were.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 03:48:14 pm »
Perhaps, but this article refers to the press briefings conducted by the Press Secretary, not by the President.  So do you believe that Sarah Huckabee Sanders also "is a petulant child when speaking to the media or anyone that may question [her]?"

Why?

Every single bit of information previously disseminated by the press secretary herself verbally can be (and now is) put out in writing.  As long as the information gets out, what difference does the format make in terms of "transparency"?

These briefings long since stopped being about transparency -- they became about journalists who wanted to argue with someone because 1) they disagreed with the administration's policies, and 2) it gave them a job.

Yes, he is. Sarah, maybe. The tweet in the article states that Trump told her not to do the briefings anymore. I'd like to see how she was being covered "Rudely" or "Inaccurately" as compared to every other administration. They're acting like snowflakes.

And it's one thing to get the news from a prepared written statement, it's another to actually have the person in front of you. We get more information from in person conversations. Also, they (the press) asks follow up questions right then that we don't get if The White House just puts out a Press Release.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »
I actually prefer Trump's impromptu pressers as they are more informative...the WH Briefings were always boring imho
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 04:35:34 pm »
When a judge orders the President to deliver press credentials to a reporter, this is the result.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »
Utter BS.  The President talks to the press all the time by the Marine 1 helicopter, they're just pissed he won't do it where they have comfy chairs, a seating chart, cameras set up to look at them, and they can badger whoever is the Press Secretary.

He removed their faces from the camera shots, and for this we're to lament democracy dying in darkness?   *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 04:38:47 pm »
When a judge orders the President to deliver press credentials to a reporter, this is the result.

Next up, some judge will order the President to give regular press briefings.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:07 pm »

Trump reads a lot.
Trump never changed from his campaign persona or his agenda. He is steadfastly who he is.
Trump is open and transparent, and will talk at length with reporters wherever he goes, despite having “killed” WH briefings.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:32 pm »
Yes, he is. Sarah, maybe. The tweet in the article states that Trump told her not to do the briefings anymore. I'd like to see how she was being covered "Rudely" or "Inaccurately" as compared to every other administration. They're acting like snowflakes.

And it's one thing to get the news from a prepared written statement, it's another to actually have the person in front of you. We get more information from in person conversations. Also, they (the press) asks follow up questions right then that we don't get if The White House just puts out a Press Release.

You made up the part I highlighted as a joke, thinking it's funny, right?

By your argument that having the subject right in front of you is better than a written statement, Trump has gone way, way farther than the previous President to please you by talking to reporters by the helicopter.  I didn't see any statement being read there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 04:41:49 pm »

Welcome to The Briefing Room.   :laugh: 

......I think.......    :bolt:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 04:42:19 pm »

Trump reads a lot.

All good points. The press didn't so much ask questions as make speeches full of insults and speculation. They did this to themselves.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 04:46:02 pm »
Welcome to The Briefing Room.   :laugh: 

... again.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »
... again.

LOL!  Well, I'm not in the inner-circle here.  WTF do I know?....other than Donald Trump will be reelected.   :laugh:

Although it did make me wonder why Sinkspur hasn't yet.

That would be a hoot!! 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »
I actually prefer Trump's impromptu pressers as they are more informative...the WH Briefings were always boring imho

If the press were telling the truth about wanting open discussion with the President, they would be applauding the way it's being done now, as opposed to the old way of having daily press briefings.
I will NOT comply.