Author Topic: Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump kills White House press briefing, 50 years after it was born
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »
Trump is a petulant child when speaking to the media or any one that may question him.

Hopefully whoever is the next President does not follow his lead in this case. We, the people, need these briefings.

As the article says, not having these is an erosion of transparency and democracy.

You can stick your damned democracy right up your tailpipe @OfTheCross.  This country is not, never has been, and I pray God, never will be a stinking Democracy! 

Can you show me even one instance of that word appearing in any of our founding documents?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 05:16:08 pm »
You can stick your damned democracy right up your tailpipe @OfTheCross.  This country is not, never has been, and I pray God, never will be a stinking Democracy! 

Can you show me even one instance of that word appearing in any of our founding documents?

Brother Big...Don't let this tic-turd bait you.  He won't last long.  He's a demplant, a shit stirrer who is only here to cause trouble.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 05:18:30 pm »
Brother Big...Don't let this tic-turd bait you.  He won't last long.  He's a demplant, a shit stirrer who is only here to cause trouble.

Yep!  My radar went off at his very first post.  HE can understand Joe Biden's reasoning and such!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 05:18:39 pm »
This has been building since the days of ferrite face Sam Donaldson.  Back in the days of Ronald Reagan, the brash and cantankerous reporter with the worst toupee in television history made his name by yelling at the president. There had been other famous reporters (early Helen Thomas, Bill Plante, Merriman Smith), but all of them conducted themselves with the proper decorum and respect when covering the White House.

Since then, it’s only gotten worse. Bill Clinton got a pass from the mostly liberal mainstream media, but when George W. Bush took office, the White House press corps went to hell.

A self inflicted wound I would say... and this circle of jerks will not be missed

@The Ghost

Only partially true. The complete truth is Donaldson was forced into retirement by ABC for hounding Bubba Bill with questions about Monica Lewinsky. When that scandal broke Bubba quit talking to the press,and Donaldson had to have a news crew filming him shouting the questions at Bubba as he walked to Marine Corps One and pretended to not hear them. He did,though. You could tell he heard and was pissed because you could see his jaw lock on the film as Donadson shouted the questions at him.

Bubba complained,and Donaldson was forced to retire.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:20:16 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 05:24:17 pm »

@Bigun

PREACH IT,BROTHER! The ignorance of the typical 'murikan voter is astounding!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 05:39:34 pm »
You made up the part I highlighted as a joke, thinking it's funny, right?

By your argument that having the subject right in front of you is better than a written statement, Trump has gone way, way farther than the previous President to please you by talking to reporters by the helicopter.  I didn't see any statement being read there.

The part that you highlighted is a reference to a tweet from Trump that is in the article posted in the OP. It's so ridiculous that you thought it was a joke. But it's not.

I do like that he regularly talks to reports on the lawn, it's better than nothing. But it's not better than a formal briefing in a controlled environment like any other CEO/leader would have.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »
I do like that he regularly talks to reports on the lawn, it's better than nothing. But it's not better than a formal briefing in a controlled environment like any other CEO/leader would have.

Whose control?  A CEO/leader would be the controller in such an environment, and neither the President nor his Press Secretary controls the Press Room at the White House (that honor belongs to the White House Correspondents Assoication).  Your analogy does not apply.  Trump controls the exchange in front of the helicopter, so you should me more than happy he talks to the press there because that is more like the ideal you described. 

It would appear you want press conferences where the Press can have a nice, fat, stationary target to shoot at.   :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:53 pm »
The White House Press Corps press killed the White House press briefing by being unable to control their TDS.

I could not have said it better. 888mouth
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 06:13:31 pm »
I could not have said it better. 888mouth

I don't think saying it better than that is possible.  But that's just me.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 06:16:29 pm »
Yes, he is. Sarah, maybe. The tweet in the article states that Trump told her not to do the briefings anymore. I'd like to see how she was being covered "Rudely" or "Inaccurately" as compared to every other administration. They're acting like snowflakes.
]

So you don't think the tone of how they addressed Sarah was just a bit different from how they addressed Obama's press secretaries???

And it's one thing to get the news from a prepared written statement, it's another to actually have the person in front of you. We get more information from in person conversations. Also, they (the press) asks follow up questions right then that we don't get if The White House just puts out a Press Release.

It was extremely rare to see a follow-up at one of Sarah's press conferences that was actually seeking information, rather than simply trying to extend an argument over policy.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 06:17:13 pm »
Whose control?  A CEO/leader would be the controller in such an environment, and neither the President nor his Press Secretary controls the Press Room at the White House (that honor belongs to the White House Correspondents Assoication).  Your analogy does not apply.  Trump controls the exchange in front of the helicopter, so you should me more than happy he talks to the press there because that is more like the ideal you described. 

It would appear you want press conferences where the Press can have a nice, fat, stationary target to shoot at.   :pondering:

It's best for us, imo. No matter who is in office
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 06:18:56 pm »

Absolutely correct!  It's just your opinion. 333cleo 333cleo
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:26 pm »

What would be best for us IMHO is for the "press" to take up actual journalism again and abandon their current practice of promoting a certain agenda.   But that's just me I guess.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:49 pm »
He'd probably get better reach if he used Twitter  and impromptu press briefings anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 06:21:31 pm »

Calm down, buddy. You can just as easily say it's an erosion of the Republic. The briefings are good for information and accountability.

You should email the author of the article about their use of the word Democracy. They have a much larger platform than I do.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 06:23:47 pm »
What would be best for us IMHO is for the "press" to take up actual journalism again and abandon their current practice of promoting a certain agenda.   But that's just me I guess.

That's exactly the problem.  They are nothing more than Rat partisans with pens and pads, and they run the asylum known as the Press Room at the White House.
I will NOT comply.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 06:23:52 pm »

Current practice?

Yellow Journalism has been a thing since the 1800s.

Newspapers have always had agendas in all directions. But we still need them.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
I said all along, the daily press briefing has become worthless. All journalists get from it is the company line, and all the President gets is a bunch of harassment that is borne on a hapless press secretary.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 06:25:35 pm »
Calm down, buddy. You can just as easily say it's an erosion of the Republic. The briefings are good for information and accountability.

You should email the author of the article about their use of the word Democracy. They have a much larger platform than I do.
The information is strongly slanted and of dubious quality, and if by "accountability" you mean "self-righteous 'journalists' haranguing a hapless lackey who can't speak for themselves," then maybe so.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 06:25:58 pm »

:2popcorn:
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 06:27:38 pm »

Was I right?

:whistle:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »
@Bigun

PREACH IT,BROTHER! The ignorance of the typical 'murikan voter is astounding!

Great to see you back, @sneakypete

Hope that things are well with you!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 06:31:41 pm »
Current practice?

Yellow Journalism has been a thing since the 1800s.

Newspapers have always had agendas in all directions. But we still need them.

You seem to have left out a few minor details there @OfTheCross.  The "newspaper" business was once VERY competitive and thus self-policing because no one wanted to be caught lying.  THAT is FAR from the case today and the broadcast media is no different.  Virtually all owned by six corporations all with the same far-left agenda. 

As to needing them, I guess so, but only so they can tell us to look in the exact opposite direction of the one they are trying to lead us.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2019, 07:07:55 pm »
You seem to have left out a few minor details there @OfTheCross.  The "newspaper" business was once VERY competitive and thus self-policing because no one wanted to be caught lying.  THAT is FAR from the case today and the broadcast media is no different.  Virtually all owned by six corporations all with the same far-left agenda. 

As to needing them, I guess so, but only so they can tell us to look in the exact opposite direction of the one they are trying to lead us.

Reporting is more competitive than ever now. Online magazines and newspaper outlets have made it that way. We don't rely on the local TV news or newspaper anymore.

That being said, it's more important now, than ever, in this "fake news" era, for reputable outlets to publish articles that are factual. That distinguishes the good from the bad.