Author Topic: Billionaire Reid Hoffman apologizes for disinformation in Alabama senate race  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
By Tony Romm ,
Craig Timberg and
Aaron C. Davis December 26 at 6:25 PM
Internet billionaire Reid Hoffman apologized on Wednesday for funding a group linked to a “highly disturbing” effort that spread disinformation during last year’s Alabama special election for U.S. Senate, but said he was not aware that his money was being used for this purpose.

Hoffman’s statement is his first acknowledgement of his ties to a campaign that adopted tactics similar to those deployed by Russian operatives during the 2016 presidential election. In Alabama, the Hoffman-funded group allegedly used Facebook and Twitter to undermine support for Republican Roy Moore and boost Democrat Doug Jones, who narrowly won the race. Hoffman, the co-founder of LinkedIn and an early Facebook investor, also expressed support for a federal investigation into what happened, echoing Jones’s position from last week.

The Alabama effort was one of a series of multi-million-dollar expenditures that Hoffman made to dozens of left-leaning groups in the aftermath of the 2016 election, when he offered himself to reeling Democrats as a source of money, connections and Silicon Valley-style disruption to the staid world of party politics.

Paywall source
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/12/26/internet-billionaire-reid-hoffman-apologizes-funding-group-behind-disinformation-alabama-race/

Free:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/liberal-billionaire-apologizes-for-funding-false-flag-effort-to-link-kremlin-to-republican-in-alabama-senate-race
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Billionaire Reid Hoffman apologizes for disinformation in Alabama senate race
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 02:21:25 am »
Quote from: article
Hoffman's public apology follows news reports on the effort, known as Project Birmingham, which involved the creation of misleading Facebook pages to persuade Alabama conservatives to vote for somebody other than Moore and other online tactics that echoed Russia's attempts to spread disinformation during the 2016

https://www.al.com/politics/2018/12/billionaire-reid-hoffman-apologizes-for-disinformation-in-alabama-senate-race.html?fbclid=IwAR3-H2fk0sdnVUm31n8KgnFI7cOR0pxIL8JBdtirkPMBYxDxnSEZ7hDx5Fs

Also in other news...

Disinformation campaign targeting Roy Moore’s Senate bid may have violated law, Alabama AG says

Quote from: article
Internet billionaire Reid Hoffman apologized on Wednesday for giving $750,000 to a group, American Engagement Technologies, that allegedly had ties to an effort to undermine support for Moore and bolster Jones. The new senator has called for a federal investigation into Project Birmingham.

Hoffman said in his statement Wednesday that he did not know that the money had been used for disinformation tactics, including a reported effort to create fake evidence that automated Russian accounts, called bots, were supporting Moore in the race.

Jonathon Morgan, chief executive of Texas-based research firm New Knowledge, has acknowledged being paid by American Engagement Technologies to experiment on a small scale with disinformation tactics, including creating a Facebook page that sought to appeal to Republicans who might not support Moore.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Finally they truth is beginning to emerge!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Sighlass

Finally the truth is beginning to emerge!

This is just one front being illuminated as you know Big. There was dozens more avenues used against Moore that have yet to see the light of day. Some of them from fellow conservative sides which also could not stand the thought of a true conservative getting elected.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:40:14 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Oceander

/snicker

A pedophile is still a pedophile. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
/snicker

A lie is still a lie.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This is just one front being illuminated as you know Big. There was dozens more avenues used against Moore that have yet to see the light of day. Some of them from fellow conservative sides which also could not stand the thought of a true conservative getting elected.

Yes, I a well aware.  There is NOTHING swamp dwellers won't do to protect their swamp!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

A lie is still a lie.

Very true, but a pedophile is still a pedophile, no matter how much lipstick you put on him. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Very true, but a pedophile is still a pedophile, no matter how much lipstick you put on him.

Yes. A pedophile is indeed a pedophile but lies do not make Roy Moore, or ayone else, one and never will.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:45:39 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yes. A pedophile is indeed a pedophile but lies do not make Roy Moore, or ayone else, one and never will.
Precisely!

Moore was targeted because of his principles, not the lack of them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

/snicker

What is a person that spreads rumors that has no basis in provable fact? Perhaps a reread of the article will give you a clue.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:59:28 am by Sighlass »

Offline Smokin Joe

What is a person that spreads rumors that has no basis in provable fact? Perhaps a reread of the article will give you a clue.
HA! That's easy.....

A journalist!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

Precisely!

Moore was targeted because of his principles, not the lack of them.

Moore was nothing more than loud mouth a** .
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Smokin Joe

Moore was nothing more than loud mouth a** .
If that was the case, you'd think he'd have been more than welcome in DC. It's full of them.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

If that was the case, you'd think he'd have been more than welcome in DC. It's full of them.

But no pedophiles in DC.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Smokin Joe

But no pedophiles in DC.
:silly:

Are you serious? No pedophiles in DC? Ever hear of 'Pizzagate'?  Considering DC has one of the highest homosexual populations per capita in the nation, I'd say it is pretty safe to guess there are a few pedos in there--and those would just be the ones hitting on little boys.

Moore was never shown to be a pedophile, (he did date younger women of legal age) and the entire kerfuffle was election day politics, sudden 40 year old allegations just before an election that the homosexuals desperately wanted Jones (whose son is gay) to win.
Moore, OTOH, had upheld the Alabama Constitution which had been amended (by a 2/3+vote of the people) to state that marriage was only between one man and one woman, even to the point of getting in trouble for it.
Had there been anything to the allegations of sexual misconduct, the whole mess would have continued well after the election. It didn't. QED File that crap with Ted Cruz's "seven mistresses".

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

:silly:

Are you serious? No pedophiles in DC? Ever hear of 'Pizzagate'?  Considering DC has one of the highest homosexual populations per capita in the nation, I'd say it is pretty safe to guess there are a few pedos in there--and those would just be the ones hitting on little boys.

Moore was never shown to be a pedophile, (he did date younger women of legal age) and the entire kerfuffle was election day politics, sudden 40 year old allegations just before an election that the homosexuals desperately wanted Jones (whose son is gay) to win.
Moore, OTOH, had upheld the Alabama Constitution which had been amended (by a 2/3+vote of the people) to state that marriage was only between one man and one woman, even to the point of getting in trouble for it.
Had there been anything to the allegations of sexual misconduct, the whole mess would have continued well after the election. It didn't. QED File that crap with Ted Cruz's "seven mistresses".

Pizzagate was invented by Alex Jones..

I guess you and Moore have never heard of the Supremcy Clause of the Constitution.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The whole Roy Moore debacle didn't pass the Democrat Test (If a Democrat had done it, would it make the news?)
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I guess you and Moore have never heard of the Supremcy Clause of the Constitution.

And YOU, as usual, don't have even a remote clue as to what you are talking about.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
/snicker

And, what does pedophilia have to do with Roy Moore?  You might want to understand the definition before you start snickering.

Offline Smokin Joe

What Supremacy clause applies to a circuit court ruling vs a State Constitution?
Don't even try to tell me that somewhere in the Federal Constitution it says homosexuals are allowed to marry.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@kevindavis

I normally don't waste y time providing information to people like yourself but today I'll make an exception.

9th Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

This whole Roy Moore episode was about keeping someone who actually understands the meaning of those words out of the U.S. Senate.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Sighlass

Today it comes out that this was not as spun ("just an experiment").... it was most likely a deliberate full fledged ploy by democrats to destroy Roy Moore any way they could.

A NY Times Reporter Spoke At An Event Organized By Alabama Dirty Tricksters

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/alabama-dirty-tricksters-invited-a-new-york-times-reporter?fbclid=IwAR0GmEe0j6xdhLfQL0QvSoWMjewGGYZbihGn5-WeftpLmnLGy8w0jo9MNMk

[quote-article] But left unmentioned in the Times story was that one of its authors learned about the Alabama campaign when he spoke at an off-the-record meeting organized by the same group who ran the operation. A copy of a confidential report about the Alabama effort, obtained by BuzzFeed News, raises new questions about whether the project was — as the Times said — an “experiment,” or whether it was a straightforward Democratic attempt to replicate the model of the Russian Internet Research Agency.

Scott Shane, a Pulitzer Prize–winning New York Times national security reporter, was one of a handful of speakers at a meeting held in Washington in early September by American Engagement Technologies, according to an agenda obtained by BuzzFeed News. AET is run by Mikey Dickerson, who previously served in the Obama administration. The organization received $750,000 in funding that originated with Hoffman and spent approximately $100,000 of that on what was dubbed “Project Birmingham.”

During the meeting, Dickerson and Sara Hudson, a former Justice Department employee who now works for a company partly funded by Hoffman, detailed the results of their attempt to use social media and online ads to suppress Republican votes, “enrage” Democratic voters to help with turnout, and execute a “false flag” to hurt the campaign of Republican Roy Moore....... snip.........

........... The report provided to Shane and others at the meeting boasts of the campaign’s effectiveness and positions itself as a serious effort to influence 650,000 Alabama voters. It does not use the word “experiment” to describe the effort.
[/quote]

@Bigun @Smokin Joe @Sanguine @Restored @jmyrlefuller @The Ghost

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Got any credible proof of that outside the claims of Leigh Corfman?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Sighlass

The funny story in this is ole Dougie playing stupid for the press about the whole deal....

NYTimes article says... Doug Jones ‘Outraged’ by Russian-Style Tactics Used in His Senate Race

Outraged I tell ya... outraged all the way into a seat that never should of been his...