Author Topic: In reversal, White House shifts border wall funding demands, wants to avoid shutdown  (Read 5599 times)

Online libertybele

Very misleading headline as it was stated that the WH has other ways to get their $$ and they want a compromise bill ....not truly a reversal IMHO.  Unfortunately, I see the alternate methods of obtaining $$ being challenged in court.

In reversal, White House shifts border wall funding demands, wants to avoid shutdown

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders suggested Tuesday that the White House has found an alternative way to get its requested $5 billion in funding for a US-Mexico border wall, marking a reversal from President Donald Trump's previous position.
Sanders indicated that the White House could support a compromise bill to avoid a partial government shutdown later this week.
"We have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion (for a border wall)," Sanders said Tuesday morning during an interview with Fox News.

"We will work with Congress if they will make sure we get a bill passed that provides not just the funding for the wall, but there's a piece of legislation that's been pushed around that Democrats actually voted 26-5 out of committee that provides roughly $26 billion for border security including $1.6 billion for the wall," she said. "That's something that we would be able to support as a long as we can couple that with other funding resources."

Sanders added: "At the end of the day, we don't want to shut down the government, we want to shut down the border."...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/sarah-sanders-government-shutdown-negotiations-5-billion/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Very misleading headline as it was stated that the WH has other ways to get their $$ and they want a compromise bill ....not truly a reversal IMHO.  Unfortunately, I see the alternate methods of obtaining $$ being challenged in court.

And a whole crop of Dem AG's waiting to sue him over anything related to immigration as well.

I'm sure Pelosi and Schumer and the media will say Trump blinked.   *****rollingeyes*****
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Oceander

It’s a cave, no matter how much lipstick one puts on the pig.

Online corbe

He should have donated the proceeds from his Charity Foundation to the construction of the wall before it was too late.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
   He should have donated the proceeds from his Charity Foundation to the construction of the wall before it was too late.

If his foundation was allowed to shut itself down that might be possible.  By the New York AG wasn't satisfied in merely dissolving the foundation...she made sure it was overseen by the courts.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Axeslinger

I’m really getting tired of all this winning
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Oceander

If his foundation was allowed to shut itself down that might be possible.  By the New York AG wasn't satisfied in merely dissolving the foundation...she made sure it was overseen by the courts.

That’s not uncommon under NY nonprofit law. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It’s a cave, no matter how much lipstick one puts on the pig.

That is correct, although there are costs to shutting down the government.

What's disappointing, though, is that if there is ever going to be a hill to fight on, this is it.   The battle lines are clear,  the need for border security is clear to most Americans,  and the timing is right - the midterms are over, and it's the middle of winter.   I can hardly think of a better time and place to smack the Dems in the teeth.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chuck and Nancy have the last laugh... rrthree
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:13:57 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

I’m really getting tired of all this winning

Don't feel too bad... No doubt he can get 48 feet of the wall built... just enough for a christening, and then he can waddle around it in a victory lap. I am sure there will be confetti.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Nth degree chess... trust the plan.

Remember he is the best negotiator in modern history.  Caving is just a negotiation tactic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:15:12 pm by ABX »

Offline RoosGirl

I think I'll wait and see what happens with this.  *If* they can get the money from somewhere else and tell Chuck and Nancy to bleep off, I'm okay with that.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If they can, more power to them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"We have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion (for a border wall)," Sanders said Tuesday morning during an interview with Fox News.

Yet, they have waited all this time to pursue those avenues. This sounds an awful lot like the DC version of ‘the check is in the mail.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DB

It is almost as if the President doesn't know he's President...

Online corbe

Are Trumps prairie oysters safe in pelousy's handbag?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

Are Trumps prairie oysters safe in pelousy's handbag?

According to Daniels, they’re already in an alpaca bag.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:20:27 pm by edpc »

Online corbe

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That is correct, although there are costs to shutting down the government.

What's disappointing, though, is that if there is ever going to be a hill to fight on, this is it.   The battle lines are clear,  the need for border security is clear to most Americans,  and the timing is right - the midterms are over, and it's the middle of winter.   I can hardly think of a better time and place to smack the Dems in the teeth.   

Exactly.  If it doesn't happen now, it's not going to happen.

Offline bilo

Exactly.  If it doesn't happen now, it's not going to happen.

If it doesn't happen Trump is going to be a one term President. He has failed so far on obamacare. If he fails on immigration it's no different than Pres. Bush saying "no new taxes". As soon as Bush agreed to tax increases he guaranteed he would only get one term.

It's pretty discouraging today, but lets see how this plays out.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

After the midterms, there have been some Republican state legislatures that set the house on fire, on their way out the door.  It pretty telling, with all of the retiring and defeated lame duck congressman, they seem unwilling to pass this, before they leave.

Offline DB

After the midterms, there have been some Republican state legislatures that set the house on fire, on their way out the door.  It pretty telling, with all of the retiring and defeated lame duck congressman, they seem unwilling to pass this, before they leave.

The GOP management never wanted a wall. It has been used too many times now to rouse votes. The bluff has been called and they folded.

Offline edpc

The GOP management never wanted a wall. It has been used too many times now to rouse votes. The bluff has been called and they folded.

More to the point, the big money GOP donors did not want it.

Online libertybele

Limbaugh touched upon this subject this afternoon and he is in disbelief that Trump wouldn't keep this promise.

Well, Rush, I think you and a whole slew of people were duped and are going to be very disappointed.

Meanwhile ... all the avid Trumpsters in here seem to be silent.

I don't really care where he gets the money as long as the wall gets done as he promised.  Waiting patiently ... time is ticking away.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

Limbaugh touched upon this subject this afternoon and he is in disbelief that Trump wouldn't keep this promise.

Well, he acted like he was similarly astonished, after Trump signed the omnibus bill. He recovered quickly.