Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 35157 times)

Offline RoosGirl

They might be if they were making enough money to not qualify for food stamps.

Get the bleep out of town.  They're thinking about getting stoned at the next party, getting laid at the next party and how when they grow up they're going to be rap stars or pro football players.

Offline mountaineer

Sorry. Not feeling it with that example. That's a starting job. A beginning. A foot in the door to the real world. If they don't want to work for $9 an hour at Walmart they better develop some skills either from that job to move up or do something else.
Maybe we all should compare notes. My first job paid around $1.60 per hour. I certainly did not expect to be able to buy a car, house and retirement plan with entry-level income - which is why I went on to become educated and gain other job skills.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Start with education

50-100k in debt at least unless your life goals involve fixing air conditioners or welding.

that will lead to that career and that level of income

You hope. And yeah, a lot of people make bad choices with their degrees. Too bad they don't have more common sense than that.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Typical 18 year olds are worried about paying for illegal Adderall and/or Ritalin.

Yeah because they're trying to balance a full time job and college.
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

50-100k in debt at least unless your life goals involve fixing air conditioners or welding.

You hope. And yeah, a lot of people make bad choices with their degrees. Too bad they don't have more common sense than that.
Please don't tell me you look down on air conditioning repairmen and welders. Sounds like a pretty good goal to me.

For the record, I made a bad choice with my undergraduate degree, as far as my career path goes, but that didn't stop me from getting a graduate degree that I could use (total student loan debt, $6,000) to make a decent living.

Offline goodwithagun

No, because they want the feel goods. I, and many before me and the invention of prescription meth, blanched both. Again, I’m tail end GenX so I know. Generations before me balanced a hell of a lot more responsibility with a hell of a lot less money and excuses.

Again, quit being so negative. We can make it. Just quit bailing out stupid people.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:05:22 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

You can get your welding certs for free at our local community college and if you can also pass a piss test, you can start welding in the oil and gas industry for $90/hour.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh FFS.  Here comes the pitch for "free" college.

Online DB

Who the hell can afford a car at 18? That's why, at that age as they toil at Walmart (and it's not slavery, by the way), they should be considering where they want to go and what they might do with their lives that might provide them the things they want. Start with education that will lead to that career and that level of income, whether trade school or college.

My parents bought me an 18 year old VW bug for my first car in around 1978. It had no A/C. No automatic transmission. No power steering. No power brakes. No disc brakes, No power anything. Not even a gas gauge. It had an AM radio and a lever on the metal dash board to go to the reserve fuel tank when you ran out of gas on the primary tank. It had a measuring stick you stuck in the gas tank to see how much was in it if you wanted to know. It had a 6 V battery which gave you dull orange glow out front for headlights. It didn't even have seat belts.

And I was grateful for it.

Offline Dexter

Sounds like a pretty good goal to me.

Not for everybody, or even most people.

For the record, I made a bad choice with my undergraduate degree, as far as my career path goes, but that didn't stop me from getting a graduate degree that I could use (total student loan debt, $6,000) to make a decent living.

I'm glad everything worked out for well for you.
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

Being grateful - even for a stripped-down VW - is better than boo-hooing over the things you can't afford!  :laugh:

Offline mountaineer

I'm glad everything worked out for well for you.
*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Dexter

Oh FFS.  Here comes the pitch for "free" college.

If any of you that are well off were true nationalists you would be happy to give some of what you have earned in your life to see young Americans get educated and get a head start. Anti-globalism isn't going to work out well for us if all of our people are uneducated and poor.
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

American exceptionalism is about freedom, rugged individuality, and optimism. All the bitching about what some don’t have but others do is the opposite of how our nation was founded. If millennials aren’t up to it, the generation I’m raising will be.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

If any of you that are well off were true nationalists you would be happy to give some of what you have earned in your life to see young Americans get educated and get a head start. Anti-globalism isn't going to work out well for us if all of our people are uneducated and poor.

Aaaaaaand there it is.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mountaineer

Offline goodwithagun

Instead of freedom, rugged individualism, and optimism, let’s just make everything free. Yeah, that’ll work  *****rollingeyes*****
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

:silly:

No matter how many truth dumps we take on him, he just doesn’t get it. Only a year in Venezuela will do the trick . . . if he survives.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

Instead of freedom, rugged individualism, and optimism, let’s just make everything free. Yeah, that’ll work  *****rollingeyes*****

Let's stop wasting so much money on stupid shit so we can prioritize things that will actually put the United States ahead of the rest of the world.
-Socrates

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Aaaaaaand there it is.

It took awhile but there it is..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DB

It is government intervention into college student funding that has caused tuition costs to go through the roof. When access to money becomes easier the price of things go up to match because you can "afford it". That is what caused the real estate melt down around 2007. If you really mean what you say, get government out of education and out of student loans. Then college would become more affordable. Colleges wouldn't have a choice if they want to stay in business.

Offline goodwithagun

Let's stop wasting so much money on stupid shit so we can prioritize things that will actually put the United States ahead of the rest of the world.

Freedom, rugged individualism, and optimism, what you call, stupid shit, IS what put the US ahead of the rest of the world.

For your next party trick, can you tell us how Osama Bin Ladin was just a freedom fighter not unlike the Founding Fathers?  :silly: :silly: :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

Do you think if we removed the entire cost of having a military presence in Europe and other forms of international charity it could create enough room for the cost of helping young people get educated?
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

Do you think if we removed the entire cost of having a military presence in Europe and other forms of international charity it could create enough room for the cost of helping young people get educated?

Both need to go. Next question?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

Both need to go. Next question?

The government isn't going to stop taking your money. We can at least fight for that money to not be spent on stupid things.
-Socrates