Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 35048 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Millennials have every chance to be successful if you would just quit making excuses for them and let the fail.

I don't think woe and misery is a necessary part of growing up. I will never be okay with sitting back and watching Americans lose everything, especially the young ones.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online mountaineer

You're rightfully extremely proud of her. She found that success despite the fact that things are tough right now. Anecdotes don't change reality, though.
I thought that whole tale of the guy and his airbags was an anecdote.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

Oh FFS.  There wasn't a recession in the 80s?  There wasn't a recession in the 90s?  9/11 happened the day after my husband started his first job out of college.  How about a war in the middle east that's been going on basically since I was in high school.  Every generation has something.  Most generations have been whiny babies about it.

Doesn’t change the fact that the ability of those just starting off to maintain themselves has been undercut, mostly by government policies that have made many things more expensive and made it harder for the marginally skilled to find good starter jobs. 

In fact, that is one of the principle arguments against the $15 minimum wage idiocy:  that far from increasing the income of those at the bottom, it will simply lead to more of them being unemployed, and unemployable. 

Oceander

Of course it was an anecdote.  But sometimes anecdotes serve a purpose, and that is to illustrate an issue that exists independent of the anecdote.

Or are you going to accuse me of lying about how much it costs to replace deployed airbags.  If that’s what you think, then google it. 

Offline goodwithagun

Oh FFS.  There wasn't a recession in the 80s?  There wasn't a recession in the 90s?  9/11 happened the day after my husband started his first job out of college.  How about a war in the middle east that's been going on basically since I was in high school.  Every generation has something.  Most generations have been whiny babies about it.

Same here. My husband (boyfriend at the time) was a first year firefighter on 9/11. I was sitting in the only history class that would fit my schedule in time to graduate: The Crusades Through Arab Eyes. I kid you not. An Islamic apologist arguing her case when the planes hit. Hubby and I both considered enlisting. There was an article I read today about Trumps 100% chance of getting re-elected if he pulled out of the Middle East. We’ve been there since I was in elementary school. I’ll be 40 next summer.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

Pinot noir out the nose stings  888high58888
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
200 posts and we still haven't figured out why these ticturd millennials are the biggest losers we have ever seen.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Oceander

Same here. My husband (boyfriend at the time) was a first year firefighter on 9/11. I was sitting in the only history class that would fit my schedule in time to graduate: The Crusades Through Arab Eyes. I kid you not. An Islamic apologist arguing her case when the planes hit. Hubby and I both considered enlisting. There was an article I read today about Trumps 100% chance of getting re-elected if he pulled out of the Middle East. We’ve been there since I was in elementary school. I’ll be 40 next summer.

And I was downtown in NYC when the planes struck.  BFD. 

Online DB

I don't think woe and misery is a necessary part of growing up. I will never be okay with sitting back and watching Americans lose everything, especially the young ones.

Actually it is. Successful people generally have had major failures in their past and learned from them. Successful people tread further than others are willing to go pushing the limits of whatever it is they do. In order to reach those limits they have to be tested to find them. With intelligent risk comes the potential for failure and reward. It is those who push the boundaries often failing but getting back up and working at it again based on what they learned who achieve the highest. Those who cannot tolerate woe and misery need not apply.

Offline RoosGirl

200 posts and we still haven't figured out why these ticturd millennials are the biggest losers we have ever seen.

I think it's because they've been repressed by The Man.

Offline RoosGirl

Don't you have someone to sue?

Offline goodwithagun

Woe and misery is literally essential to growing up. From teething to puberty to heartbreak, to loss of loved ones, woe and misery are essential. Woe and misery are what makes the happy times so happy. It’s life. Shit happens. When it does we’re reminded about the good, though. Life is so worth it, even the bad parts. You can’t escape the bad, but you can be positive about the bad and enjoy the good.

Watching people lose everything? Yep. There’s an old saying: When the well is dry, you know the worth of water. Many millennials will become productive when they know thirst. They need a bit of hardship to understand what hardship truly is.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

Those who cannot tolerate woe and misery need not apply.

Ask a bunch of 18 year olds slaving away in an extremely understaffed Walmart for 9 dollars an hour if they understand anything about woe and misery. All that hard work and a lot of them can't even afford a freaking car, let alone put money away for a house or retirement.
-Socrates

Offline cato potatoe

The laws do need to be changed so that airbags can be deactivated by repair shops.  SRS tend to fail in older vehicles anyway and cost a mint to replace.

Offline goodwithagun

Good for you? Not sure about your intent with that post. I was merely reminiscing with @RoosGirl , but your response indicates a desire for a pissing contest. As I’m female, I’ll politely decline as I’m not physically equipped for that competition.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online mountaineer

Of course it was an anecdote.  But sometimes anecdotes serve a purpose, and that is to illustrate an issue that exists independent of the anecdote.

Or are you going to accuse me of lying about how much it costs to replace deployed airbags.  If that’s what you think, then google it.
I've said nothing on this entire thread about your friend's car. I haven't accused you of anything and I have no interest in accusing you of anything.

But if you can tell an anecdote about a guy who's found replacing his damaged car too expensive, I can tell an anecdote about a "millennial" who seems to be succeeding financially and achieving her goals without angst - and I didn't do it just so @Dexter could give permission for me to be proud of my niece. It was to point out that his generalizations are faulty. (All generalizations are false, including this one). Life isn't universally bad for every 20-something in America. A few examples of poor young people with feelings of hopelessness doesn't prove make Dexter's case anymore than my description of my niece proves that everything's rosy for young people. A few anecdotes are just, well, anecdotes. Making generalizations from a couple of specifics is not the most logical thing to do.

Offline RoosGirl

Ask a bunch of 18 year olds slaving away in an extremely understaffed Walmart for 9 dollars an hour if they understand anything about woe and misery. All that hard work and a lot of them can't even afford a freaking car, let alone put money away for a house or retirement.

Is the typical 18 year old thinking about putting money away for a house, let alone retirement?   :silly:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I think it's because they've been repressed by The Man.

I think it's because they were spoiled rotten growing up...just a guess..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

My observation is that most are poorly educated - and they're uneducated because so little is demanded of them.

Offline Dexter

Is the typical 18 year old thinking about putting money away for a house, let alone retirement?   :silly:

They might be if they were making enough money to not qualify for food stamps.
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

There’s literally slavery existing right now, November 25, 2018. Real slavery. Forced labor, sex slavery, even upon children. Do not equivocate earning a legal wage doing legal work upon one’s free will as slavery. It’s disgusting.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

I've said nothing on this entire thread about your friend's car. I haven't accused you of anything and I have no interest in accusing you of anything.

But if you can tell an anecdote about a guy who's found replacing his damaged car too expensive, I can tell an anecdote about a "millennial" who seems to be succeeding financially and achieving her goals without angst - and I didn't do it just so @Dexter could give permission for me to be proud of my niece. It was to point out that his generalizations are faulty. (All generalizations are false, including this one). Life isn't universally bad for every 20-something in America. A few examples of poor young people with feelings of hopelessness doesn't prove make Dexter's case anymore than my description of my niece proves that everything's rosy for young people. A few anecdotes are just, well, anecdotes. Making generalizations from a couple of specifics is not the most logical thing to do.

Your niece is exceptional. A lot of millennials are struggling a lot. Would you like to see some statistics?
-Socrates

Online DB

Sorry. Not feeling it with that example. That's a starting job. A beginning. A foot in the door to the real world. If they don't want to work for $9 an hour at Walmart they better develop some skills either from that job to move up or do something else.

Online mountaineer

Who the hell can afford a car at 18? That's why, at that age as they toil at Walmart (and it's not slavery, by the way), they should be considering where they want to go and what they might do with their lives that might provide them the things they want. Start with education that will lead to that career and that level of income, whether trade school or college.

Offline goodwithagun

Typical 18 year olds are worried about paying for illegal Adderall and/or Ritalin.
I stand with Roosgirl.