Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 34849 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
My parents’ mortgage rate was nearly 10%. Mine is 2.74%. They had one income, I have two. They had two cars, I have two cars. We can argue about it all night long, but the bottom line is what people choose to earn, choose to spend, and choose to save. For example, on a few square feet I grow enough garlic, tomatoes, and onions that I no longer have to purchase them from the store. That includes canned tomatoes as well as fresh, and I’m in zone 6b. I grow these things on a space the equivalent of a balcony. I choose not to spend money on these things, and several other things that I grow. Now obviously this isn’t for everybody, but it is just one example of what can choose not to spend money on. Soda, Starbucks, data plans, Microsoft Gold, Netflix, etc. are all options not requirements.

If only everybody had as much intelligence and common sense as you do. Not having all of those distractions probably made it a lot easier to focus on what matters as well. These are your children and your grandchildren. They're not weak people. The world has changed and they are struggling to deal with it. Clearly a lot of them are lost and confused. They need some kind of help or guidance. I don't know what the answer is.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

I hope I'm wrong. I want America to stay healthy and strong, but the ones who will lead the way into the future are struggling.

If they are struggling then one of two things will happen:
1. The struggle will make them stronger and help shape them into competent leaders that understand life is not cupcakes and rainbows. Life is hard work, but damn if it’s not worth it.
2. They will give up the struggle and will therefore yeild leadership positions to those in example #1.

Either way is a blessing.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

If only everybody had as much intelligence and common sense as you do. Not having all of those distractions probably made it a lot easier to focus on what matters as well. These are your children and your grandchildren. They're not weak people. The world has changed and they are struggling to deal with it. Clearly a lot of them are lost and confused. They need some kind of help or guidance. I don't know what the answer is.

I’ve already posted how I’m leading by example for my kids. Go back and read my posts.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

I’ve already posted a solution to that as well: Quit helping and guiding. Let them fall on their asses and then pull themselves back up.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online DB

He works for a NASA contractor and his toys are well within his budget.  I think he still has his phone on his family’s plan because it’s cheaper. 

None of that changes the fact that 30 years ago, the fender bender that cost him his car would have been a nothing burger, when most of the people  here were just starting out.  I had one myself, and it only cost me less than $100 to fix it.

You can buy a decent used car for a couple of grand these days. Electronics and clothes are far cheaper today than they were then. Cars are more expensive because the cars are FAR nicer and safer than they were 35 years ago.

All that printed money over the last 10 or so years have taken a big bite out of peoples spending power due to inflation. It has driven housing and food through the roof. All that government spending has real consequences long term and there's no end in sight for that stupidity.

Offline RoosGirl

He works for a NASA contractor and his toys are well within his budget.  I think he still has his phone on his family’s plan because it’s cheaper. 

None of that changes the fact that 30 years ago, the fender bender that cost him his car would have been a nothing burger, when most of the people  here were just starting out.  I had one myself, and it only cost me less than $100 to fix it.

Tell him to call Uber.

Offline mirraflake

You can buy a decent used car for a couple of grand these days.

LMA**OFF    No you can't. 

@DB

Offline mirraflake

2010 Honda Element for $2500
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2010-honda-elementprice/6737861024.html

312,000 miles. It's a few  miles away from a $4000+ engine or tranny replacement. If it was already done it would have been noted in the ad. It's worn out.

@RoosGirl

Offline goodwithagun

2010 Honda Element for $2500
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2010-honda-elementprice/6737861024.html

We keep giving them solutions and they keep telling us we’re wrong. We give them examples and they repeat their negativity. Thank God The Founders were made of stronger stuff, and thank God people like you exist to keep the lights on in this nation.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

312,000 miles. It's a few  miles away from a $4000+ engine or tranny replacement. If it was already done it would have been noted in the ad. It's worn out.

@RoosGirl

Fine.
2011 Nissan Altima
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/d/nissan-altima-2011-hybrid/6743632950.html

There are more, and I'm sure a diligent search could find an acceptable one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:39:08 am by RoosGirl »

Online DB

LMA**OFF    No you can't. 

@DB

Yes, you can. Get a manual transmission w/o all the electric/electronic gadgets that fail. It takes some shopping around - hence effort - but you can. Especially one that has cosmetic damage. But a basic car to get you from point A to point B isn't enough for some people.

Offline RoosGirl

We keep giving them solutions and they keep telling us we’re wrong. We give them examples and they repeat their negativity. Thank God The Founders were made of stronger stuff, and thank God people like you exist to keep the lights on in this nation.

Bunch of Can't Dos.  Maybe we should let those Mexi-cans in.   :laugh:

Online DB

Much of it is simply "growing up". It takes work, experiences both good and bad to learn how to survive. We've delayed growing up because our kids didn't have to.

Oceander

Tell him to call Uber.

Feck you, too.   

You sure have a lot of emotional investment in making yourself feel superior to millenials.  Why?

Offline goodwithagun

Bunch of Can't Dos.  Maybe we should let those Mexi-cans in.   :laugh:

888high58888
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

Feck you @RoosGirl , you prig. Yep, you’ve been verbally assaulted with these, umm, words, for the audacity of proving some whiny beta male wrong multiple times. You deserve a trophy 🏆, but for owning them not participation.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Feck you @RoosGirl , you prig. Yep, you’ve been verbally assaulted with these, umm, words, for the audacity of proving some whiny beta male wrong multiple times. You deserve a trophy 🏆, but for owning them not participation.

Proving me wrong how?   That vehicle repair expenses aren’t materially higher than they used to be because expensive government-mandated components are included now that weren’t included then?

Really?  Which point did she prove wrong?  That contrary to my statements, airbags were in fact always in cars, ever since the Model T?  That contrary to my statements it doesn’t cost more than about $100 or so to replace a deployed airbag?

Exactly which of my statements did she prove wrong?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
You sure have a lot of emotional investment in making yourself feel superior to millenials.  Why?

The idea that the only difference between current young people and former young people is a willingness to work hard is kind of vital to the way some people see the world. It's uncomfortable to face young people and admit they got screwed by the generations that preceded them.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline LMAO

All that printed money over the last 10 or so years have taken a big bite out of peoples spending power due to inflation. It has driven housing and food through the roof. All that government spending has real consequences long term and there's no end in sight for that stupidity.

This
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goodwithagun

Proving me wrong how?   That vehicle repair expenses aren’t materially higher than they used to be because expensive government-mandated components are included now that weren’t included then?

Really?  Which point did she prove wrong?  That contrary to my statements, airbags were in fact always in cars, ever since the Model T?  That contrary to my statements it doesn’t cost more than about $100 or so to replace a deployed airbag?

Exactly which of my statements did she prove wrong?

Omg. You’re a loony.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Omg. You’re a loony.

And you’re clearly an idiot.  Wow.  Now that we’ve had a mutual exchange of insults, please point out which of my statements was proven wrong. 

Offline RoosGirl

Feck you, too.   

I thought Millenials loved Uber.  I think it's a pretty enterprising endeavor.  Apparently you old farts have something against the company.  Why?

Offline goodwithagun

The idea that the only difference between current young people and former young people is a willingness to work hard is kind of vital to the way some people see the world. It's uncomfortable to face young people and admit they got screwed by the generations that preceded them.

Every generation has been screwed over by the previous generation. No generation is truly unique. You are not special. I used to tell my junior American lit classes: Shakespeare knocked up his girlfriend, Sears sold heroine, and Elvis couldn’t be shown on TV from the waist down. Nothing is new. Let me repeat: NOTHING IS NEW. Every gen has their burdens to bear, either self inflicted or thrust upon them. Millennials are no different, they just choose victim status as their means of dealing with it. It makes it easier to justify the prescription drugs, the lifelong college student status, and the adult coloring books that have popped up in the grocery checkout.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

And you’re clearly an idiot.  Wow.  Now that we’ve had a mutual exchange of insults, please point out which of my statements was proven wrong.

I’m not going to retype everything when it’s much simpler for you to go back and reread.
I stand with Roosgirl.