Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 35034 times)

Oceander

I thought Millenials loved Uber.  I think it's a pretty enterprising endeavor.  Apparently you old farts have something against the company.  Why?

I’m young enough to know a blow-off in context when I see one. 

Offline goodwithagun

I thought Millenials loved Uber.  I think it's a pretty enterprising endeavor.  Apparently you old farts have something against the company.  Why?

He hates new cars because they cost too much to fix, but hates Uber for some other random reason. That’s a pretty vicious circle.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

He hates new cars because they cost too much to fix, but hates Uber for some other random reason. That’s a pretty vicious circle.

/snicker

Offline cato potatoe

Every generation loves to criticize the next.  Are millennials soft?  Yeah, I think so.  Every generation likes to blame the previous one for its shortcomings.  Parents have been weak or totally absent for a long time ... no question about that.  But something else is happening now.  Groups moving to the US from third world countries are simply less equipped to deal with life in the west.  And so you have certain segments of millennials who for the most part are doing OK (asians and whites with marketable skills) despite the price distortions in real estate and higher education.  Then you have a larger group of people who "missed out" and are spiraling into debt slavery and government dependency.  It's a condition that will worsen until we have the courage to deal with the cause.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
/snicker

You are back to doing that /snicker shit again.   Damn dude you are a dumb ass
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Also it's only getting worse for young people. They are the future, and the future looks grim. We're not going to be the greatest country on Earth for much longer. Young people desperately need some kind of assistance if America is to continue leading the world.
Don't tell my 22-1/2 year old niece. She just bought a house and is progressing nicely up the ladder at a major grocery chain in the northeast, even though her college degree (which she earned by age 20) wasn't even in the same field as her current occupation. She's pretty darn optimistic about her future, but she's practical, hard-working and doesn't waste her money - so she must be unique among all those "grim" young people.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:16:05 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

I guess the kids coming out of high school and knowing they were going to be drafted to Vietnam had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today.  Or the kids coming out of high school in the 70s during that recession and gas shortages and crazy high interest rates had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today.  Or the kids coming out of high school in the 40s during the war and knowing they were going to be drafted and sent to Europe or Africa had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today. 

I mean, my grandmother, who had a 2 year old when my grandfather was drafted for WWII, who did not even graduate from high school and had to share an apartment with her sister, whose husband had also been drafted, and had to hand wash clothes and diapers, they had it so much easier than the 20somethings of today that have cell phones and cable tv and umm...parents who will let them move back in with them.

Oceander

You are back to doing that /snicker shit again.   Damn dude you are a dumb ass

And you’re a horse’s derrière.  Does exchanging insults make you feel better?

Offline RoosGirl

I’m young enough to know a blow-off in context when I see one.

How about a little from Column A and a little from Column B.

Offline mountaineer

You're so right, Roos. The people of my parents' generation  and your grandparents' generation - born shortly before the beginning of the Great Depression, teens when the US entered WWII - led the life of Riley compared to the average 20-something of today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Don't tell my 22-1/2 year old niece. She just bought a house and is progressing nicely up the ladder at a major grocery chain in the northeast, even though her college degree (which she earned by age 20) wasn't even in the same field as her current occupation. She's pretty darn optimistic about her future, but she's practical, hard-working and doesn't waste her money - so she must be unique among all those "grim" young people.

You're rightfully extremely proud of her. She found that success despite the fact that things are tough right now. Anecdotes don't change reality, though.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

I guess the kids coming out of high school and knowing they were going to be drafted to Vietnam had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today.  Or the kids coming out of high school in the 70s during that recession and gas shortages and crazy high interest rates had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today.  Or the kids coming out of high school in the 40s during the war and knowing they were going to be drafted and sent to Europe or Africa had it a lot easier than the hard working kids of today. 

I mean, my grandmother, who had a 2 year old when my grandfather was drafted for WWII, who did not even graduate from high school and had to share an apartment with her sister, whose husband had also been drafted, and had to hand wash clothes and diapers, they had it so much easier than the 20somethings of today that have cell phones and cable tv and umm...parents who will let them move back in with them.

Yep. Here I am with all my privilege as a first gen college grad. My parents were first gen high school grads. All four of my grandparents had 8th grade educations. My maternal grandparents’ first home was a chicken coop grandpa turned into a shack for humans. My paternal grandfather lost his leg in his teens in an industrial accident. He went back to work, by the way, because his dad had died and as the oldest he was the breadwinner.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

You're so right, Roos. The people of my parents' generation  and your grandparents' generation - born shortly before the beginning of the Great Depression, teens when the US entered WWII - led the life of Riley compared to the average 20-something of today.

We shouldn't be regressing. This is America and it's the year 2018. Our young people should have more opportunity for success than any other young people in the world, but they don't.
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

Look how good these guys have it compared to millennials.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Dexter

Look how good these guys have it compared to millennials.

There are millennials dying overseas as we speak. Either way millennials have their own unique problems, and those problems being different doesn't make them insignificant. They are struggling and older Americans should give a damn.
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

We shouldn't be regressing. This is America and it's the year 2018. Our young people should have more opportunity for success than any other young people in the world, but they don't.

My grandmothers didn’t have the opportunity for a college education; my daughters do. My son, on the high functioning end of the spectrum, would be kicked out of school in my grandparents’ day, yet here he is THRIVING in a private Catholic school. If you consider central air and nat gas heat, both controlled from my iPhone, regression, then I got a bridge to sell you.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Funny you missed the 80s, 90s, and naughts, which are the more relevant time periods for comparison in terms of why more kids might be going back home. 

Guess it was mighty hard in the 80s, what with that big hair and shoulder pads. 

Maybe your grannie should save the drama and take an Uber.

Offline RoosGirl

You're rightfully extremely proud of her. She found that success despite the fact that things are tough right now. Anecdotes don't change reality, though.

Listen, you need to shake off what your parents and schools taught you about social equivalence.  Stop feeling guilty for succeeding and understand that plenty in your generation could make something of themselves if they chose to.  If you still feel guilt and want to help others, go find a way to help people yourself and stop waiting around for the government or someone else to do it.

Offline goodwithagun

There are millennials dying overseas as we speak. Either way millennials have their own unique problems, and those problems being different doesn't make them insignificant. They are struggling and older Americans should give a damn.

And every single one of those heros CHOSE that path. How many drafted men died for our nation, drafted at 18 before they were legally allowed to vote at the age of 21?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline cato potatoe

I hope there are enough like her to pay for the boomers who didn't save enough for retirement.  As in, 85% of them. **nononono* 

Offline Dexter

My grandmothers didn’t have the opportunity for a college education; my daughters do. My son, on the high functioning end of the spectrum, would be kicked out of school in my grandparents’ day, yet here he is THRIVING in a private Catholic school. If you consider central air and nat gas heat, both controlled from my iPhone, regression, then I got a bridge to sell you.

We're not regressing technologically, and yes, some things are better. A lot of young people are deeply in debt. A lot of them have nothing in savings and little hope of getting to a point where they do have a nest egg. A lot of them aren't insured because they can't afford it. A lot of young people are spending half of their entire income on rent.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:39:58 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

the boomers who didn't save enough for retirement.  As in, 85% of them. **nononono*

Talk about irresponsible! And they grew up with more economic opportunities.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

And every single one of those heros CHOSE that path. How many drafted men died for our nation, drafted at 18 before they were legally allowed to vote at the age of 21?

There's still the rest of my post, but yes, the draft was rough on a lot of people. There sure are a lot of brave young heroes coming out of a generation that's so incredibly lazy and useless.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:37:06 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

We're not regressing technologically, and yes, some things are better. A lot of young people are deeply in debt. A lot of them have nothing in savings and little hope of getting to a point where they do. A lot of them aren't insured because they can't afford it. A lot of young people are spending half of their entire income on rent.

Then they need to move. They also need to accept the fact that their debt, college no doubt, was asked on poor decisions. Then they need to google Dave Ramsey and do the right thing. Once they actually help themselves instead of expecting others to help them, they will be able to save for the future and be productumembers of society. So many people have escaped debt and lived well. Again, NOTHING IS NEW. If others have done it so can they.

Don’t be so negative. Millennials have every chance to be successful if you would just quit making excuses for them and let the fail.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Funny you missed the 80s, 90s, and naughts, which are the more relevant time periods for comparison in terms of why more kids might be going back home. 

Guess it was mighty hard in the 80s, what with that big hair and shoulder pads. 

Maybe your grannie should save the drama and take an Uber.

Oh FFS.  There wasn't a recession in the 80s?  There wasn't a recession in the 90s?  9/11 happened the day after my husband started his first job out of college.  How about a war in the middle east that's been going on basically since I was in high school.  Every generation has something.  Most generations have been whiny babies about it.