Author Topic: 3 GIRL SCOUTS, 1 ADULT KILLED IN WISCONSIN HIT-AND-RUN CRASH WHILE PICKING UP TRASH ALONG ROAD  (Read 4392 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
3 GIRL SCOUTS, 1 ADULT KILLED IN WISCONSIN HIT-AND-RUN CRASH WHILE PICKING UP TRASH ALONG ROAD
Saturday, November 03, 2018 10:33PM

LAKE HALLIE, Wis. - A pickup truck lurched off a road in western Wisconsin Saturday and hit a group of Girl Scouts picking up trash in a ditch, leaving three girls and one adult dead and critically injuring a fourth girl, police said.

Sgt. Daniel Sokup of the Lake Hallie Police Department said the driver of the black Ford F-150 pickup truck fled the scene but later turned himself in. He identified the driver as Colton Treu, 21, of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Read more at: https://www.bing.com/amp/s/abc11.com/amp/3-girl-scouts-1-adult-killed-in-wisconsin-hit-and-run-crash-/4612669/

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:56:25 am by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
He probably wanted to sober up before talking to the cops so his legal situation would be better.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Terrible story.

Offline Victoria33

@CatherineofAragon

Three children and an adult killed.  It seems so many people are being killed every day and too many are children.  Some killed outside doing something, people shot/killed in cafes, some yesterday in a yoga setting in Florida, and car crashes.

It takes only one second to kill someone and it can't be reversed - the person is dead - one cannot change that one second; it is final.  If we could back up before that second, the person would be alive, but it is final, can't change it.  We cannot bring that person back.

Offline Dexter

@CatherineofAragon

Three children and an adult killed.  It seems so many people are being killed every day and too many are children.  Some killed outside doing something, people shot/killed in cafes, some yesterday in a yoga setting in Florida, and car crashes.

It takes only one second to kill someone and it can't be reversed - the person is dead - one cannot change that one second; it is final.  If we could back up before that second, the person would be alive, but it is final, can't change it.  We cannot bring that person back.

I think the constant stream of bad news is extremely bad for our mental health. Information didn't used to move so quickly. People weren't CONSTANTLY inundated with knowledge of the worst happenings in the world around them. It can seem like the world is falling apart when you're aware of every tragedy that is happening in a world with billions of people.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think the constant stream of bad news is extremely bad for our mental health. Information didn't used to move so quickly. People weren't CONSTANTLY inundated with knowledge of the worst happenings in the world around them. It can seem like the world is falling apart when you're aware of every tragedy that is happening in a world with billions of people.

That's a very wise comment.

Offline TomSea

If we are speculating on cause, I would submit the possibility of texting/cell phone use or other kinds of distracted driving as well. Texting is extremely common with young people and has caused many accidents. There have been campaigns even against texting while driving.

Offline Dexter

If we are speculating on cause, I would submit the possibility of texting/cell phone use or other kinds of distracted driving as well. Texting is extremely common with young people and has caused many accidents. There have been campaigns even against texting while driving.

I think they should make it an arrestable offense that can lead to the loss of your license.
-Socrates

Offline TomSea

No mention of alcohol or other drugs yet. The stories are still relatively breaking but they do mention prosecuting for four homicdes. If alcohol were involved, we might have heard about it by now. The crash happened story before noon per this story.

https://www.newsweek.com/wisconsin-hit-and-run-4-dead-truck-strikes-girl-scout-troop-picking-trash-1200425?amp=1

If one doesn't learn the news, it may be repeated over again.

Offline TomSea

Drunk driving deaths in the US have come way down thanks to awareness and concerted efforts by groups like MADD and obviously, harsher penalties. Count me out of those who would rather bury their heads in the sand like an ostrich.

Check stats and it shows drunk driving deaths have great declined . No "woe is me" attitude for me.

Offline TomSea

See what some awareness does? DWI deaths have come down by over a half since 1982, it use to be a very real problem and yes, still is. There is some culprit in this accident in Wisconsin, maybe it was just reckless driving.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

@Victoria33

Wait, what's this about a yoga place?

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33

Wait, what's this about a yoga place?
@CatherineofAragon

A gunman killed two people and wounded five others at a yoga studio in Florida's capital before killing himself Friday evening, officials said.

Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo told reporters Friday night that the man shot six people and pistol-whipped another after walking into the studio, which is part of a small Tallahassee shopping center.

The suspect then fatally shot himself, DeLeo said.

Tallahassee Police officers are stationed outside the HotYoga Studio in Tallahassee, Florida, after a gunman killed one person and injured several others inside on Nov. 2, 2018. (Credit: Mark Wallheiser / Getty Images)
Tallahassee Police officers are stationed outside the HotYoga Studio in Tallahassee, Florida, after a gunman killed one person and injured several others inside on Nov. 2, 2018. (Credit: Mark Wallheiser / Getty Images)

Early Saturday morning, the Tallahassee Police Department identified the shooter as Scott Paul Beierle, 40.

The department identified the two people who were killed as Dr. Nancy Van Vessem, 61, and Maura Binkley, 21.

Van Vessem was an internist who served as chief medical director for Capital Health Plan, the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper reported.

Capital Health Plan issued a statement praising Van Vessem, the Democrat reported.

Offline TomSea

Suspect is in Florida's capital before killing himself Friday evening, officials said. 4th girl still in critical condition.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/News/girl-scouts-adult-picking-highway-trash-killed-alleged/story?id=58951893

Driver jailed on suspicion of being intoxicated in crash that killed 3 Wisconsin Girl Scouts and an adult picking up highway trash: Jail Official
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:16:20 am by TomSea »

Silver Pines

Thanks, all.  My God, I hadn't even heard about this one.  You can barely keep track anymore.

Online DB

I agree.

Offline TomSea

Then, if we don't know the news, we might have almost as many DWI fatalities in 1982. Thoroughly, disagree.

Offline TomSea

Every age has its ills. Now, we have information at our fingertips a lot more readily than in the past, and that's a bad thing? Saying it affects our mental health? Totally disagree.  Then, let's get others okay to make sure the stories don't violate our safe spaces. Give me a break.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:06:22 am by TomSea »

Online DB

Then, if we don't know the news, we might have almost as many DWI fatalities in 1982. Thoroughly, disagree.

Really?

We didn't have enough DWI carnage locally to toughen the law, it took planet wide knowledge to make the change?

And then expand that to all other tragedy being reported far beyond DWI from stupid and insane to flat out evil.

I don't agree.

Offline TomSea

Really?

We didn't have enough DWI carnage locally to toughen the law, it took planet wide knowledge to make the change?

And then expand that to all other tragedy being reported far beyond DWI from stupid and insane to flat out evil.

I don't agree.

Huh? Okay, if this story violates people's safe spaces, no one is forcing you to read it. This is a discussion forum after all.

Offline Dexter

Huh? Okay, if this story violates people's safe spaces, no one is forcing you to read it. This is a discussion forum after all.

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I have no issue with the article you've chosen to post. I was just suggesting that global media creates a never ending stream of bad news that can make it seem like the world is ending if you don't put it into perspective.
-Socrates

Offline TomSea

There are advocacy groups for the victims of drunk driving. I think it's rather callous or self-important to start talking about how this is hurting one's mental health. Real people are involved.

Online DB

Don't jump to conclusions not in evidence. Nowhere did I suggest your post violated my or anyone else's "safe space". Nor did I suggest you shouldn't post it. It is a larger issue of the human condition and our ability to cope with an overload of tragic news planet wide and what it does to our outlook/hope of the future and in humanity. It has real consequences and I'm not suggesting I have the answers. It is simply that we were not made to deal with this much negative information, something few had to deal with even just 50 years ago.