Author Topic: Real Conservatives Refuse To Kneel Before Their Liberal Overlords  (Read 7532 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
townhall
Kurt Schlichter
Posted: May 28, 2018 12:01 AM

[excerpt]

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/05/28/real-conservatives-refuse-to-kneel-before-their-liberal-overlords-n2484875

There's a great scene in the movie Witness where a bunch of bullies start picking on some Amish farmers, and then they pick on Harrison Ford, who is sporting Extreme Mennonite drag. They knock off his straw hat, laugh at him, and then he beats the crap out of them.

The bullies are shocked, stunned, and bewildered. Why, he’s not supposed to fight back! Why, the Amish, they’re better than that! But Harrison’s not. As his buddy says, he’s from Ohio.

I am not better than that either. How about you?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline endicom

Re: Real Conservatives Refuse To Kneel Before Their Liberal Overlords
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »
Conservatives in the abstract versus getting something done. It's easy to claim any belief when your claim is to the purest, pie-in-the-sky, ain't-gonna-happen version. Getting something done, moving in the right direction, is not so easy.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:59:26 pm »
FTA:

Because today, being “better than that” means being willing to allow other people to control you by defining you, and the definition is always “a pushover.” You’re supposed to be “conservative,” our conservasuperiors tell us, and we must therefore rigidly adhere to their precious “conservative principles.” But these bear no resemblance to real principles, much less conservative ones.

Gosh, where have I head that before?  The "conservative" position is to cave to the leftists.  @INVAR, does that line sound familiar to you?   :laugh: :police:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:08:20 pm »
townhall
Kurt Schlichter
Posted: May 28, 2018 12:01 AM

[excerpt]

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/05/28/real-conservatives-refuse-to-kneel-before-their-liberal-overlords-n2484875

There's a great scene in the movie Witness where a bunch of bullies start picking on some Amish farmers, and then they pick on Harrison Ford, who is sporting Extreme Mennonite drag. They knock off his straw hat, laugh at him, and then he beats the crap out of them.

The bullies are shocked, stunned, and bewildered. Why, he’s not supposed to fight back! Why, the Amish, they’re better than that! But Harrison’s not. As his buddy says, he’s from Ohio.

I am not better than that either. How about you?

I am not better either.

I am from Ohio.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:05 pm »
And we’ll leverage our political power to regulate the Twittfacegrams into submission if they keep trying to exclude us from participation in our own culture......

So to Kurt, using the a!mighty power of big government to force private business to bend to our will is 'conservative'? It is one thing for citizens to boycott and speak with their wallet, but in his screed, Kurt has become what he claims to oppose.

Big government in the right of left is still big government and the enemy of liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 02:24:58 pm »

So to Kurt, using the a!mighty power of big government to force private business to bend to our will is 'conservative'? It is one thing for citizens to boycott and speak with their wallet, but in his screed, Kurt has become what he claims to oppose.

Big government in the right of left is still big government and the enemy of liberty.

Exactly.  We must allow the liberals to run roughshod over us because that's the "conservative" approach, right? 

You found a sentence or two you didn't like, but I think you missed the whole rest of the article somehow.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:31:15 pm »

@AbaraXas

! No longer available
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:33:29 pm »
The debate would be better served if we all would stop speaking about 'conservative' as if it were some abstract concept.

In the manner in which we select our leaders and the manner in which those leaders lead, I want strict adherence to the Constitution. Period.

Where this president does, he gets applause. Where he doesn't, he earns condemnation.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:34:56 pm by skeeter »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:34:41 pm »
Exactly.  We must allow the liberals to run roughshod over us because that's the "conservative" approach, right? 

You found a sentence or two you didn't like, but I think you missed the whole rest of the article somehow.

That one sentence is very telling and consists of 50% of the solution he proposed. His long rant up until one paragraph offered no 'how's just ranting like a freeper. When he gets to the 'so how', half of his solution involves acting like a big government liberal.  No thanks. Usually when there is a big anger and hate filled rant, that is usually a red flag it won't end in a good way. It is an article to appeal to base emotion, not intellect. There usually a sign they don't want you to think, the author instead wants you to fire up emotionally so you follow without thinking.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »

You seem to have missed the point .... it's not about government, big or otherwise ...

We reject the bizarre notion that we are somehow obligated to stoically take guff from people who despise us without responding because doing so is “unconservative.” We decline to be commanded by conscientious objectors.

Here’s how we roll. When the enemy deploys its power against us, whether it’s some football jerk dissing us via Old Glory or some tech titan deciding to not allow us access to social media, we will fight back using whatever power we have. We’ll bankrupt the NFL before we just sit there watching them flip us off. And we’ll leverage our political power to regulate the Twittfacegrams into submission if they keep trying to exclude us from participation in our own culture. There is no conservative principle that requires you to not use your most effective weapon in your own self-defense. None.

“But that’s not conservative!” the sissies whimper.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 02:56:20 pm »
"Real conservatives" are politically impotent and no two can work together.  Who cares what they think.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »
"Real conservatives" are politically impotent and no two can work together.  Who cares what they think.

Exactly right.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 03:24:50 pm »
That one sentence is very telling and consists of 50% of the solution he proposed. His long rant up until one paragraph offered no 'how's just ranting like a freeper. When he gets to the 'so how', half of his solution involves acting like a big government liberal.  No thanks. Usually when there is a big anger and hate filled rant, that is usually a red flag it won't end in a good way. It is an article to appeal to base emotion, not intellect. There usually a sign they don't want you to think, the author instead wants you to fire up emotionally so you follow without thinking.

Not gonna happen for me.  In fact, I can only think of a few Briefers who believe that couple of sentences is a good idea.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 03:28:16 pm »

They still vote.  Tell them to piss up a rope enough, you lose their votes, and there aren't enough "Pragmatics" to defeat the Dems.  As impotent as you say "they" are, you will have doomed yourself to be equally impotent if you drive them away.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 03:30:16 pm »
What’s a “real conservative”?

Whenever that phrase gets trotted out, I always hear echoes of the “no true Scotsman” logical fallacy. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 03:33:39 pm »

Whenever that phrase gets trotted out, I always hear echoes of the “no true Scotsman” logical fallacy.

You and I agree on that.  The only fellow on TBR who declares others "not real conservatives" is constantly advocating leftist positions.  It's a tactical thing.

I'm going to Google the Scotsman thing.  It will come in handy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:35:46 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »

We exist.  Those who admire and adhere to thinkings of Coolidge, Goldwater, Buckley, and Reagan.  And yes to earlier posts....   We are a dying breed, and will be lost as a balancing force of political direction.  As we plunge deeper into fezdzlla debt hell (with no help from DJT) our country's  demise becomes more and more evident.  I have seen data that shows over 50% of the populous now suckles the left hind teat of entitlements.  This can't be sustained forever.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 03:39:57 pm »
We exist.  Those who admire and adhere to thinkings of Coolidge, Goldwater, Buckley, and Reagan.  And yes to earlier posts....   We are a dying breed, and will be lost as a balancing force of political direction.  As we plunge deeper into fezdzlla debt hell (with no help from DJT) our country's  demise becomes more and more evident.  I have seen data that shows over 50% of the populous now suckles the left hind teat of entitlements.  This can't be sustained forever.

Definition, please.

Offline endicom

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:13 pm »

No true Scotsman would get trotted out. Or claim to not know that Schlichter referred to who call themselves the real conservatives.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:43:02 pm by endicom »

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:56 pm »
Seems to me that much of this argument comes down to whether or not you really see us righties as "at war" with the progressive left.  Ever Trumps, especially those inclined to war imagery like Col. Schlicter, are wartime conservatives and have already declared the war is on and are easily able to rationalize ethical and moral problems in service to the greater good.  Never Trumps are peacetime conservatives whose goal it is to maintain conservative principles as steadfastly as possible within the confines of a civilized society. 

Short of something glaringly obvious like say a shooting war over the confiscation of guns it's hard for me to know what's right.  It's pretty clear that the society is quickly becoming less civilized.  A time for choosing may well be near.  Until then, I'll just hang out and see how many variations of the "Ever-Never" argument can be had.  The accompanying invective is sometimes funny. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 03:48:34 pm »
Definition, please.

Definition?  Without seeming baited......

Anyone who supports near 100% of conservative positions and candidates of the same?  Small Gov, Fiscal responsibility., Pro-life, Pro-2A, Pro-military, Pro- self reliance, etc. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »
They still vote.  Tell them to piss up a rope enough, you lose their votes, and there aren't enough "Pragmatics" to defeat the Dems.  As impotent as you say "they" are, you will have doomed yourself to be equally impotent if you drive them away.

They be too late.

We have other plans.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 04:10:17 pm »

That's quite true in the sense that most attempts to define what is "conservatism" or what it means to be a "conservative" ultimately wind up being essentially self-referential, rather than universal. 

There is in fact such a thing as "conservatism" and there are "conservatives" who seek to follow its principles, but what comprises those principles can and does change based upon time, place and the course of human events.

In our own time and place, conservatism can be understood to reflect a preference for ideas that have been tried and found to be true, as opposed to an automatic dissatisfaction with all current states, and a preference instead for novelty, dissent and the attempt to alter both nature and reality.

Conservatives may also be defined as those who reject the notion of human perfectibility; they understand the fundamental purpose of government to be one of promoting and protecting ordered liberty, and that of civil society to be the promotion of voluntary association in the service of social and cultural achievement.

Within that framework, conservatives can and do often differ on means, strategy, and even on desired outcomes for a wide variety of social and political issues. Such is the natural outcome of a belief in limited government and individual liberty, and it is not something to be feared or denied.

Only those who seek governmental control over wide swaths of human interaction - today, these are our "Progressives" - would prefer a social order where the collective rules the individual, where lockstep thought and action are seen as desirable, and where governments are empowered to enforce such rules in the service of a march toward an imagined - and imaginary - perfect society.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 04:16:03 pm »
Definition?  Without seeming baited......

Anyone who supports near 100% of conservative positions and candidates of the same?  Small Gov, Fiscal responsibility., Pro-life, Pro-2A, Pro-military, Pro- self reliance, etc.

I don't know what I am anymore but this best describes my positions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 04:24:26 pm »
The debate would be better served if we all would stop speaking about 'conservative' as if it were some abstract concept.

In the manner in which we select our leaders and the manner in which those leaders lead, I want strict adherence to the Constitution. Period.

Where this president does, he gets applause. Where he doesn't, he earns condemnation.

Obviously, it is an abstract concept to many.