Author Topic: Flake calls for 2020 Trump primary challenger  (Read 2524 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Flake calls for 2020 Trump primary challenger
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:59:06 pm »
By Julia Manchester - 03/11/18 09:52 AM EDT

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called for a Republican to challenge President Trump in the 2020 election on Sunday during an interview with NBC's Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press." 

"Do you think he needs to be challenged from somebody who espouses your views?" Todd asked Flake.

"Yes, I do. I do. I mean, it would be a tough go in a Republican primary. The Republican Party is the Trump party right now. But that's not to say it will stay that way," Flake said.

The retiring Arizona has long been one of Trump's chief critics in the Republican Party, often lashing out at the president for his immigration and economic policies, as well as for his bombastic rhetoric. He criticized the Trump administration when announcing he would not run again for Senate.

Flake made similar comments earlier this month, and would not rule out a 2020 challenge to Trump.

“I do think the president will have a challenge from the Republican Party, I think there should be,” Flake said. “I also think that there will be an independent challenge, particularly if the Democrats insist on putting somebody up from the far left of the party.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/377820-flake-calls-for-2020-trump-primary-challenger
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Flake calls for 2020 Trump primary challenger
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:32:09 pm »
By Julia Manchester - 03/11/18 09:52 AM EDT

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called for a Republican to challenge President Trump in the 2020 election on Sunday during an interview with NBC's Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press." 

"Do you think he needs to be challenged from somebody who espouses your views?" Todd asked Flake.

"Yes, I do. I do. I mean, it would be a tough go in a Republican primary. The Republican Party is the Trump party right now. But that's not to say it will stay that way," Flake said.

The retiring Arizona has long been one of Trump's chief critics in the Republican Party, often lashing out at the president for his immigration and economic policies, as well as for his bombastic rhetoric. He criticized the Trump administration when announcing he would not run again for Senate.

Flake made similar comments earlier this month, and would not rule out a 2020 challenge to Trump.

“I do think the president will have a challenge from the Republican Party, I think there should be,” Flake said. “I also think that there will be an independent challenge, particularly if the Democrats insist on putting somebody up from the far left of the party.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/377820-flake-calls-for-2020-trump-primary-challenger

Isn't Flake supposed to be stepping down? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »
Unless the GOP scraps the winner take all primary system, Trump will be as hard to stop in 2020 as he was in 2016.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:53:02 pm »

I presume what the article means by "retiring." :pondering:

To Jeffie Boy, I say, "Go ahead and do it yourself."  If you think "somebody" needs to do it, then stop whining, step up, man up, and get 'er done.  Everybody's counting on you.

I can't wait to see what nickname Trump comes up with for a guy named "Flake."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:55:17 pm »
Unless the GOP scraps the winner take all primary system, Trump will be as hard to stop in 2020 as he was in 2016.

Until the the Electoral college ceases being "winner take all," it would be dumb to scrap WTA for the Primaries.  We run Primaries to find the best candidate to win the General Election, and that means we should match the General Election rules.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:58:13 pm »
Until the the Electoral college ceases being "winner take all," it would be dumb to scrap WTA for the Primaries.  We run Primaries to find the best candidate to win the General Election, and that means we should match the General Election rules.

Electoral college isn't really winner take all though, otherwise Hillary would have won.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:11:40 pm »
Flake really is a great last name for old Jeffers. The man can truly be himself.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 06:13:15 pm »
Electoral college isn't really winner take all though, otherwise Hillary would have won.

Only one or two states are not winner take all.  The rest are Winner Take all.  Hillary would have won if we had been Popular Vote wins, and that's a much different argument.

As it is, we have quite a few proportional Convention Delegate rules for the primary anyway.  It's a non-issue for me.  As it is, I'd like the candidates to consider a Presidential Election (Primary and General) as 50 separate elections.  That's what the Founders intended, to prevent having a tiny number of population centers picking the President.  I don't have to tell you how much that would suck.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »

But, apparently, not shutting up.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 06:15:30 pm »

It's not WTA. Some states are, some states are proportioned, some give a certain percentage to the winner then proportion the rest.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »
Only one or two states are not winner take all.  The rest are Winner Take all.  Hillary would have won if we had been Popular Vote wins, and that's a much different argument.

As it is, we have quite a few proportional Convention Delegate rules for the primary anyway.  It's a non-issue for me.  As it is, I'd like the candidates to consider a Presidential Election (Primary and General) as 50 separate elections.  That's what the Founders intended, to prevent having a tiny number of population centers picking the President.  I don't have to tell you how much that would suck.

Side note: if all the states proportioned the EC by congressional district, Romney would have just barely beaten Obama.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »
Flake, McMuffin, Romney and Beck are teaming up. Quattro Deseret Muchachos.

Beck's media empire, Romney's money, Flake and McMuffin for office. Romney for potus 2020.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »
Side note: if all the states proportioned the EC by congressional district, Romney would have just barely beaten Obama.

That's the only proportional EC I could like. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »
Flake, McMuffin, Romney and Beck are teaming up. Quattro Deseret Muchachos.

Beck's media empire, Romney's money, Flake and McMuffin for office. Romney for potus 2020.

Sounds good on paper, eh?  Fortunately, the people still get a say, which is why Beck's "media empire" is a joke.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 06:41:19 pm »
Problem is,  guys like Flake, Romney, McMullin and Kasich are heirs to the Goldwater and Kemp traditions,  and that's not where the GOP is at these days. 

The best bet is with an independent run, but as was noted above only if the Dems cooperate and nominate a looney leftist.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:42:07 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 06:45:21 pm »
Sounds good on paper, eh?  Fortunately, the people still get a say, which is why Beck's "media empire" is a joke.
In my humble way, I too was trying to make a joke. On serious notes:

! No longer available

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 06:51:36 pm »
In my humble way, I too was trying to make a joke. On serious notes:

! No longer available

Agreed, Ted.   

They're called public servants for a reason.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »
Professor Victor Davis Hanson on #nevertrump

! No longer available

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 07:35:38 pm »

I am not in favor of scrapping the EC. Not not not not not!

This is GOP primary only. Different issue, different implications.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 08:06:17 pm »
I am not in favor of scrapping the EC. Not not not not not!

This is GOP primary only. Different issue, different implications.

That reminds me of something I'd bet $$$ both of us can agree on 100%:  Republican ONLY Primaries.  No more Rats having a voice in who our candidates are!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »

Flake's going to be on an unstoppable free-for-all against the President through January when the new Senate term begins.

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 08:20:57 pm »
  Put your Money where your Mouth is, Jeff.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 08:28:16 pm »
Flake's going to be on an unstoppable free-for-all against the President through January when the new Senate term begins.

I live in AZ.  I look forward to that case of diarrhea of the mouth for a long time to come.  After January.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:00 pm »
  Put your Money where your Mouth is, Jeff.

Flake needs to man up and stop insisting others do the dirty work.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 08:32:39 pm »
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/03/11/sure-sounds-like-jeff-flakes-running-president/

Sure sounds like Jeff Flake’s running for President
He’s said before that he thinks a conservative probably *will* challenge Trump in 2020 but this may be the first time he’s said a conservative *should* challenge him. And it’s not hard to guess who that challenger is likely to be. The universe of conservatives willing to primary POTUS is small, partly because the, ah, universe of conservatives is small. Within that universe, even hardcore anti-Trumpers like Ben Sasse will decline to jump in knowing that doing so would cost them their jobs. Even Mitt Romney, possibly the right’s most prominent Trump critic, is off the board now that he’s decided to focus on the Senate.

Off the top of my head, the number of conservatives with governing experience, a bit of national name recognition, contempt for Trump, and little to lose by mounting a doomed primary challenge includes Flake, Bob Corker, maaaaaybe Tom Coburn, and that’s it. And of those three, Flake clearly seems most enamored with the idea of a “battle for the soul of the Republican Party.”

more at link