Author Topic: Flake calls for 2020 Trump primary challenger  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Flake calls for 2020 Trump primary challenger
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 08:38:03 pm »
Somebody has Flake confused with "conservative."  Maybe they're using some definition of the word I'm not familiar with.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 08:44:13 pm »
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/03/11/sure-sounds-like-jeff-flakes-running-president/

Sure sounds like Jeff Flake’s running for President
He’s said before that he thinks a conservative probably *will* challenge Trump in 2020 but this may be the first time he’s said a conservative *should* challenge him. And it’s not hard to guess who that challenger is likely to be. The universe of conservatives willing to primary POTUS is small, partly because the, ah, universe of conservatives is small. Within that universe, even hardcore anti-Trumpers like Ben Sasse will decline to jump in knowing that doing so would cost them their jobs. Even Mitt Romney, possibly the right’s most prominent Trump critic, is off the board now that he’s decided to focus on the Senate.

Off the top of my head, the number of conservatives with governing experience, a bit of national name recognition, contempt for Trump, and little to lose by mounting a doomed primary challenge includes Flake, Bob Corker, maaaaaybe Tom Coburn, and that’s it. And of those three, Flake clearly seems most enamored with the idea of a “battle for the soul of the Republican Party.”

more at link
There are plenty of others, such as Bill Kristol. Glen Beck. Media types. Talkers.

And they need a platform. Will it be tax increases, pipeline closings, troop withdrawals, submission to NK, more regulations?

Come on. Big ideas are needed, for "true conservative" big shots.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 08:49:36 pm »
Somebody has Flake confused with "conservative."  Maybe they're using some definition of the word I'm not familiar with.

I've always seen Flake as both fiscally and socially conservative.  Could you expand on ways in which he's not?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »
There are plenty of others, such as Bill Kristol. Glen Beck. Media types. Talkers.

And they need a platform. Will it be tax increases, pipeline closings, troop withdrawals, submission to NK, more regulations?

I know we are all delusional about reality.  We see the world through the blinders we construct to filter out the stuff that conflicts with what we KNOW to be real.  All we really care about is what we like.

But honestly do you really think Kristol, Beck, or Flake would call for "tax increases, pipeline closings, troop withdrawals, submission to NK, more regulations?"

I do not.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:32 pm »
I've always seen Flake as both fiscally and socially conservative.  Could you expand on ways in which he's not?

He was pushing for Amnesty for Illegals since before he was inaugurated (Gang of Eight anybody?), and voted for cloture on the last major gun-control bill.  Sure-fire losers in AZ politics.  He was great in Congress before that, and I was a close watcher of his because I lived in his District.  I was a major supporter of his when he ran to replace Jon Kyle. 

Everybody has a hot button issue, and those are two of mine because of things that have happened in my life.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »
He was pushing for Amnesty for Illegals since before he was inaugurated (Gang of Eight anybody?), and voted for cloture on the last major gun-control bill.  Sure-fire losers in AZ politics.  He was great in Congress before that, and I was a close watcher of his because I lived in his District.  I was a major supporter of his when he ran to replace Jon Kyle. 

Everybody has a hot button issue, and those are two of mine because of things that have happened in my life.

@Cyber Liberty
I'm sorry you've been touched by those issues ;(.  I do think DACA is a special case, and I can see a conservative supporting that limited group on the grounds of fairness and charity, both of which I think of as values shared by Conservatives.  But I can understand disagreement on that point.

It does seem like he has a strong pro-life history and believes in fiscal responsibility, which I've always thought of as Conservative cornerstones.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »
Maybe that's a question: what do you all see as the issues that absolutely define American Conservatism?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »
Problem is,  guys like Flake, Romney, McMullin and Kasich are heirs to the Goldwater and Kemp traditions,  and that's not where the GOP is at these days. 

The best bet is with an independent run, but as was noted above only if the Dems cooperate and nominate a looney leftist.   

What they all have in common, is losing.  This is the perfect place to reminisce over them.

Nearly 1 1/2 years after electing Trump, this is a daily gathering of denial, coulda, shoulda, woulda -- pick your loser of the day.

Don't forget Dole, John Anderson, and John McCain.

#nevertrump is "stupidtism" above all

The criteria for membership is being wrong on everything for over 2 years.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 09:19:53 pm »
Maybe that's a question: what do you all see as the issues that absolutely define American Conservatism?

I might be willing to talk DACA with someone, provided the word "dreamer" is stricken from the conversation.  Good luck getting a definition of "conservatism," that's sort of what this forum is for. :pondering:
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 09:31:34 pm »
I might be willing to talk DACA with someone, provided the word "dreamer" is stricken from the conversation.  Good luck getting a definition of "conservatism," that's sort of what this forum is for. :pondering:

That is the impression I get ;).  It's kind of why I'm here, to learn from you all.

Offline corbe

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 09:32:36 pm »
What they all have in common, is losing.  This is the perfect place to reminisce over them.

Nearly 1 1/2 years after electing Trump, this is a daily gathering of denial, coulda, shoulda, woulda -- pick your loser of the day.

Don't forget Dole, John Anderson, and John McCain.

#nevertrump is "stupidtism" above all

The criteria for membership is being wrong on everything for over 2 years.

Thank You for the insight into my troubled soul but again @truth_seeker it's all just conjecture on your part and thanks also for sharing.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 10:11:53 pm »
   Thank You for the insight into my troubled soul but again @truth_seeker it's all just conjecture on your part and thanks also for sharing.
Not that my soul is troubled, but I am heading out for a 4-5 mile walk now that the rain is over (I think).

Aerobic exercise, fresh air, some sat radio for rock, blues, jazz or political news and talk.

About the worst that could come of that, is a troubled sole. @corbe

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 10:16:32 pm »
Not that my soul is troubled, but I am heading out for a 4-5 mile walk now that the rain is over (I think).

Aerobic exercise, fresh air, some sat radio for rock, blues, jazz or political news and talk.

Enjoy your walk @truth_seeker  ^-^

Offline corbe

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 10:17:07 pm »
   I'll fix another Bloody Mary, open up another pack of Winstons and anxiously await your return @truth_seeker besides my Rockets who had their 17 game winning streak snapped by Toronto Friday night are about to snap the Mavericks 2 game streak in about an hour, so hurry back.   :beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »

Enjoy the walk!  My SIL tells me it's very nice right now.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:50 pm »
   I'll fix another Bloody Mary, open up another pack of Winstons and anxiously await your return @truth_seeker besides my Rockets who had their 17 game winning streak snapped by Toronto Friday night are about to snap the Mavericks 2 game streak in about an hour, so hurry back.   :beer:

You speak of jungle ball?

Offline corbe

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 10:34:55 pm »
   Yes, though I have heard much worse racial denigrations of the NBA.  Besides the FMW (Female Mud Wrestling) it's the only sport I watch and some still, dare call me a racist.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »
   Yes, though I have heard much worse racial denigrations of the NBA.  Besides the FMW (Female Mud Wrestling) it's the only sport I watch and some still, dare call me a racist.

When I hear "Jungle Ball," it's football and its dozens of Felons that come to my mind.  Is there a channel that covers FMW regularly?  I'd like to see that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline corbe

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:55 pm »
@Cyber Liberty I haven't looked lately. I'm still catching the reruns in the early morning hours, during REM.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 11:01:17 pm »
@Cyber Liberty I haven't looked lately. I'm still catching the reruns in the early morning hours, during REM.

But where are the midgets????

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 11:04:24 pm »
But where are the midgets????

I just saw a vid on Bookface of four midgets running a relay race with a camel.  The internet has many, many strange attractions so I am sure there is a place to find midget FMW.  Rule 34, sweetie, Rule 34.
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 11:07:50 pm »
I just saw a vid on Bookface of four midgets running a relay race with a camel.  The internet has many, many strange attractions so I am sure there is a place to find midget FMW.  Rule 34, sweetie, Rule 34.

@Cyber Liberty heheheheh
My husband just learned that his cousin's daughter has adopted the "fursona" of a Dutch Angel Dragon.  I shudder to think where that leads, and I weep for my son's future.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 11:20:11 pm »
@Cyber Liberty heheheheh
My husband just learned that his cousin's daughter has adopted the "fursona" of a Dutch Angel Dragon.  I shudder to think where that leads, and I weep for my son's future.

Boyohboy.  I Googled that, and it's exactly what I thought it was.  Could be worse.  Your son could be a Bronie.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:42 am »

Few folks are wholly conservative or liberal.  Most orient one way or another, but as you point out values like empathy and compassion are not ideological. 

Conservatives are oriented toward individual liberty and the encouragement of economic initiative in the context of free markets,  meaning they favor equality of opportunity, not necessarily of result.   Liberals are informed of Rawlesian notions of the role of government, and favor taxation of the community to fund a safety net.   

This broad distinction between conservative and liberal is complicated by the presence, on both the right and the left,  of idiosyncratic obsessions that clash with the libertarian instincts of conservatives and the Rawlesian instincts of liberals.   On the right it is social conservatism,  urging a role for intrusive government in the support of Biblical morality,  and on the left it is identity politics, which is amoral cynicism that undercuts the credibility of its communitarian impulse.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:48:07 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Fantom

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:27 am »
Unless the GOP scraps the winner take all primary system, Trump will be as hard to stop in 2020 as he was in 2016.

As long as Trump keeps winning Conservative positions... and handing democrats their asses on a silver plate..... 2020 is a landslide with anyone .
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass