Author Topic: Democrats see no leverage left to push DACA fix with budget deal done  (Read 321 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats see no leverage left to push DACA fix with budget deal done
by Laura Barrón-López | Feb 9, 2018, 8:31 AM

Democrats say they have little leverage left to pressure Republicans to call up a bill addressing the legal status of Dreamers now that Congress has passed a budget deal that boosted defense and domestic spending caps, and lifted the debt ceiling for a year.

The budget agreement set spending levels for the next two years, and it passed as part of a short-term spending bill that included billions in disaster relief with 73 Democrats joining most Republicans in support of the measure. The Democrats who opposed the deal because it didn’t include a fix for the 800,000 recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program now have little hope that legislation will be passed by the March 5 deadline imposed by Trump, if at all.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-see-no-leverage-left-to-push-daca-fix-with-budget-deal-done/article/2648633
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Democrats see no leverage left to push DACA fix with budget deal done
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:04:24 pm »
Remember this is a tarbaby issue - the Dems know the "Dreamers" are sympathetic and have been pushing the matter with an eye toward the November elections.   If Trump starts deporting these folks,  the Dems will make it a front and center issue this fall.   Indeed, solving the problem now is exactly what the Dems do NOT want.   

I'll say it again - there's an obvious solution here.  Trump should drop his challenge of the court order and continue to let the 700,000 who applied to renew their applications and maintain their status.   What are the advantages of this "grandfathering" approach?

- It defuses the political issue:  those who had the gumption to come forward and apply will be able to continue working "above ground" without fear of deportation (assuming they continue to satisfy their obligations under the existing program).   Trump will come across as compassionate, and willing to do what he is not necessarily obligated to do (we don't yet know whether the court order will be upheld).   

-  Those in the program will be frozen at 700,000.  All the proposals I've seen would have expanded the group to double or triple that number, and even included temporary relief for their parents.   By accepting the court order,  Trump limits DACA to those who've already relied to their detriment on the program,  so it cannot be expanded except in conjunction with other changes that satisfy Trump's priorities on border security, etc.

-  The 700,000 would be "normalized", but not provided with a pathway to citizenship except in conjunction with a larger deal.     
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:06:34 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:36:26 pm »
“The leverage is that if we don’t do anything then there are going to be people deported and they’re going to be on television every night,” Yarmuth said, “and there’s a midterm election coming.”

Let them try it.  You know there are networks all too ready to broadcast contrived and outright fake incidents.  It'll boomerang on them.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:06 pm »
G O O D ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:08 pm »
“The leverage is that if we don’t do anything then there are going to be people deported and they’re going to be on television every night,” Yarmuth said, “and there’s a midterm election coming.”

Let them try it.  You know there are networks all too ready to broadcast contrived and outright fake incidents.  It'll boomerang on them.

It could be the Pubs have learned from Trump that the best response is to attack the Rats for not making a deal.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »
Oh please.  Democrats abandoned DACA the second that Trump came out in favor of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 05:53:46 pm »
Oh please.  Democrats abandoned DACA the second that Trump came out in favor of it.

The Dems want to ride DACA to victories in this fall's elections.   That's the key to understanding their position and effectively counteracting it - they are using the Dreamers, they don't want to help them.   The GOP perspective should be the opposite - let's not harm the folks who've come forward, but let them remain under the provisions of the original program.  Defuse the issue, help the Dreamers, and let the Dems rage in frustration. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:00:40 pm »
The rats took a long hard look at the polling numbers and realised that continuing to push Dreamers and Obama's DACA EA was a big loser.   With the Midterms coming soon,  Every rat,  except the members of the Congressional Wetback Caucus will distance themselves from the Dreamer fight.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:04:29 pm »
The rats took a long hard look at the polling numbers and realised that continuing to push Dreamers and Obama's DACA EA was a big loser.   With the Midterms coming soon,  Every rat,  except the members of the Congressional Wetback Caucus will distance themselves from the Dreamer fight.

Yup. It's a loser.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »

Believe that at your peril.  The Dems continue to believe the Dreamers will bring them victory in the fall - so long as they remain a scab the Dems can keep picking at.   Trump should take the gift of the court order and agree to continue DACA for those who came forward.     

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:12:06 pm »
Yup. It's a loser.

I thought something was afoot when that rat bastage Schumer was suddenly closed mouth on dreamers and was changing the topic when asked.  Somehow that braindead, old flea bag Nan Nan must have deleted the memo
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:13 pm »
Believe that at your peril.  The Dems continue to believe the Dreamers will bring them victory in the fall - so long as they remain a scab the Dems can keep picking at.   Trump should take the gift of the court order and agree to continue DACA for those who came forward.

Say that happens.  What about the 'lazy' ones that didn't?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:23 pm »

Are you paying attention or are you that tied to you Rat talking points? DACA is a loser. There is a reason the Rats dropped it like a hot potatoes going into this election cycle. No voters want it except in fringe radical voting districts. If you were even close to right Joe Manchin would be running around pushing the hell out of it as he shills to get reelected. He isn't.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:21:26 pm »

I think you're right.  A certain portion of democrats are actually real people who live real lives in the USA and are not that sympathetic to illegals.

Antonio Sabato Jr. ...my daughter and I had a huge crush on him when he was on General Hospital ... appeared on The View and put up a pretty good argument against illegals.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.