Author Topic: Schiff 'very concerned' Trump might fire Rosenstein  (Read 9132 times)

Oceander

Re: Schiff 'very concerned' Trump might fire Rosenstein
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »
You typed the name of a Supreme Court case without providing a link.  In other words, you expected me to do your research for you since you were clearly too lazy to read and then provide a link yourself.

Fortunately, I was able to do what you were not willing to do yourself, and researched the case.  If you had taken the time to do so, you would have saved yourself the trouble of looking like a complete fool.  Kalina v. Fletcher is a civil case - not a criminal case.  The immunity provided is protection against civil judgment, not criminal prosecution.

Nice try though.  Maybe next time, you will do your own research the next time someone on another website like DummieUnderground hands you the name of some court case.

Have a good night.

Try again.  You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. 

You cannot find a single case in which that statute was used against a prosecutor, which implies that either no prosecutor has ever made misstatements to a federal court, or it doesn’t apply. Take your pick, steer or queer. 

Oceander

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:36 pm »
And where in the United States Constitution does it give the courts authority to establish law?

Nowhere.

Citing court cases as a source of law is a corrupt man's form of evidence.It's also arguably circular reasoning: the court says this, that's why the court says this.

:bigsilly:

Go away little boy. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2018, 10:57:52 pm »
Go away little boy.
Oh, so we're into personal attacks now?

Two can play at that game, HOCKEY PUCK!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:43 pm »
Oh, so we're into personal attacks now?

Two can play at that game, HOCKEY PUCK!

Because your question is so basically in error it’s not even funny.  Who says courts can’t make the law?  Courts have always had inherent common law powers unless taken away by statute.  Why even bother asking such a stupid question.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »
Try again.  You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Oh really?  Let's have a look, shall we.

Focusing on two inaccurate factual statements in petitioner's certification, respondent sued her for damages under 42 U. S. C. § 1983, alleging that she had violated his constitutional right to be free from unreasonable seizures.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/522/118/

Civil case.  Again, if you hadn't been so lazy and had actually read the case, you wouldn't have ended up looking like a complete fool.

You cannot find a single case in which that statute was used against a prosecutor, which implies that either no prosecutor has ever made misstatements to a federal court, or it doesn’t apply. 

So now you want to move the goal posts?  Even though federal law is clear, your now demand a case where it was used against a prosecutor?  Pathetic.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:03 pm »
And where in the United States Constitution does it give the courts authority to establish law?

Nowhere.

Citing court cases as a source of law is a corrupt man's form of evidence.It's also arguably circular reasoning: the court says this, that's why the court says this.

Exactly.

Courts have no authority to create or establish 'law' according to the Constitution.

The fact we have generations that think 'case law' and 'precedent' ARE law, and that Court Activism to establish law and the striking down of laws passed by Congress or by The People at the ballot box - illustrates the fact this country no longer operates as a Republic.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2018, 11:19:00 pm »
Oh really?  Let's have a look, shall we.

Civil case.  Again, if you hadn't been so lazy and had actually read the case, you wouldn't have ended up looking like a complete fool.

So now you want to move the goal posts?  Even though federal law is clear, your now demand a case where it was used against a prosecutor?  Pathetic.

Actually, did you even bother reading section (b) of the statute you cited?

To paraphrase, it says that subsection (a), which imposes the penalty, does not apply to either a party to a judicial proceeding or that party’s counsel, for any “statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.”

In other words, it doesn’t apply to this circumstance, by its own terms. 

You lose.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2018, 11:44:07 pm »
Actually, did you even bother reading section (b) of the statute you cited?

To paraphrase, it says that subsection (a), which imposes the penalty, does not apply to either a party to a judicial proceeding or that party’s counsel, for any “statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.”

In other words, it doesn’t apply to this circumstance, by its own terms. 

You lose.

Actually, I did read it.  The fact that it took you this long to read it speaks volumes about you and your intellectual laziness.  But since you just now decided to read it, you will notice it refers to a judicial proceeding of which this is not.  But thanks for actually reading it, finally.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2018, 11:46:55 pm »
Actually, I did read it.  The fact that it took you this long to read it speaks volumes about you and your intellectual laziness.  But since you just now decided to read it, you will notice it refers to a judicial proceeding of which this is not.  But thanks for actually reading it, finally.

A proceeding before the FISA court is not a judicial proceeding?  Whatever. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2018, 11:48:03 pm »

Nowhere.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:19 pm »
A proceeding before the FISA court is not a judicial proceeding?

Who is the defendant?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:53 am »
Who is the defendant?

Has the judicial machinery been activated?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:58 am »
Who is the defendant?

Who’s the defendant in any warrant proceeding?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2018, 12:18:20 am »
A proceeding before the FISA court is not a judicial proceeding?  Whatever.

FISA by definition is extra judicial.  It's secret and bypasses Constitutional protections
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2018, 12:19:09 am »
FISA by definition is extra judicial.  It's secret and bypasses Constitutional protections

Really?  Where is that definition?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2018, 12:33:13 am »
@Hoodat @Oceander

Anyone care to tell me exactly what the language quoted below from the statute Hoodat posted earlier means?

18 U.S. Code § 1001

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section,

I think it means that any exceptions, such as any for immunity of any kind for anyone,  would be laid out specifically in the same section.  I can't find them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:34:02 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2018, 12:37:16 am »
@Hoodat @Oceander

Anyone care to tell me exactly what the language quoted below from the statute Hoodat posted earlier means?

I think it means that any exceptions, such as any for immunity of any kind for anyone,  would be laid out specifically in the same section.  I can't find them.

Subsections (b) and (c) contain exceptions. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2018, 12:46:45 am »
OK. 

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a party to a judicial proceeding, or that party’s counsel, for statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.

Does that mean they can lie their asses off to the judge with impunity?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:47:46 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2018, 12:50:57 am »
Did y'all know that Adam Schiff's sister is married to George Soros' son?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2018, 12:52:33 am »
OK. 

According to Oceander, yes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2018, 12:54:57 am »
FISA warrant applications are entered under oath.  So perjury also comes into play here.  Unless Oceander wants to argue that lawyers are immune to perjury.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2018, 12:57:38 am »
OK. 

Subject to the court’s inherent power to punish contempt - something that would be impermissible if courts were not allowed to “make law” as it was put earlier - and subject to potential discipline for violating the duty of candor to a tribunal under the rules of professional conduct - yes.  More specifically, it means that they cannot be prosecuted under the statute on the basis that a representation or document contains a materially false statement (and that the act was done knowingly and willfully).

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:51 am »
The entire Russia narrative was invented solely to get FISA Court jurisdiction.  Without the Russia angle, there is no way they ever would have been able to bug Trump Tower.

This is no different from Waco and the Branch Davidians.  The warrant issued in that case was a drug warrant which allowed those serving it to receive military training and military weaponry.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2018, 12:59:34 am »
FISA warrant applications are entered under oath.  So perjury also comes into play here.  Unless Oceander wants to argue that lawyers are immune to perjury.

Prosecutors routinely commit perjury; show me how often they’re prosecuted for it. 

And before you make more assumptions about what I think, I think they get away with it far too often and that tighter rules should be imposed on them, such as mandatory referral to a disciplinary committee. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2018, 01:01:30 am »
Subject to the court’s inherent power to punish contempt - something that would be impermissible if courts were not allowed to “make law” as it was put earlier - and subject to potential discipline for violating the duty of candor to a tribunal under the rules of professional conduct - yes.  More specifically, it means that they cannot be prosecuted under the statute on the basis that a representation or document contains a materially false statement (and that the act was done knowingly and willfully).

Let me see if I have this right.  You are saying that they can be "disciplined" for filing false information, but they can't be "prosecuted" for filing false information.  How do you propose they be "disciplined" without "prosecution"?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-