Author Topic: Why I’m Still a NeverTrumper  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why I’m Still a NeverTrumper
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:33 pm »
Why I’m Still a NeverTrumper
NY Times, Dec 29, 2017, Bret Stephens

Tax cuts. Deregulation. More for the military; less for the United Nations. The Islamic State crushed in its heartland. Assad hit with cruise missiles. Troops to Afghanistan. Arms for Ukraine. A tougher approach to North Korea. Jerusalem recognized as Israel’s capital. The Iran deal decertified. Title IX kangaroo courts on campus condemned. Yes to Keystone. No to Paris. Wall Street roaring and consumer confidence high.

And, of course, Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court. What, for a conservative, is there to dislike about this policy record as the Trump administration rounds out its first year in office?

That’s the question I keep hearing from old friends on the right who voted with misgiving for Donald Trump last year and now find reasons to like him. I admit it gives me pause. I agree with every one of the policy decisions mentioned above. But I still wish Hillary Clinton were president.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/opinion/why-im-still-a-nevertrumper.html?referer=https://t.co/ml7cIYkk5b

Re: Why I’m Still a NeverTrumper
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »
For TBR's NTs .... you're not alone!   :smokin:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:32:40 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »
"I agree with every one of the policy decisions mentioned above. But I still wish Hillary Clinton were president."

He must be joking. Only he is not...

Here is further proof - as though any more were needed - that although we may one day cure cancer, there's no cure for stupid.

Donald Trump still annoys me. I wish he would stop his occasional fits of juvenile and boorish behavior.

But I thank God each and every day that he and not the serial liar, grifter and racial leftist Hillary Clinton was elected President. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:42:31 pm »
He's wishing for things and decides he's going to wish for Hillary to be president??   *****rollingeyes*****

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »
The word hypocrite is rooted in the Greek word hypokrites, which means “stage actor, pretender, dissembler.”
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »

I’ve been mulling this over. I think NeverTrumpers object to Trump’s honesty. He says exactly what’s on his mind. He rarely demurs except on matters of national security strategy or politics.

Take his recent interview with the New York Times reporter. Walks into the interview in the Grill Room of his golf club in West Palm Beach, alone, no staff, no press spokesmen, no policy advisers around him to clarify Trump’s answers. And no need for the reporter to guess where Trump stands on an issue; he doesn’t give focus tested responses. It’s Trump Raw.

He’s ineloquent and braggadocios, but that’s him: straightforward and honest. And for reasons I don’t quite understand, this bothers the people that prefer obfuscation, diplomacy and theater from their president — like an Obama.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:41:54 pm »
I’ve been mulling this over. I think NeverTrumpers object to Trump’s honesty. He says exactly what’s on his mind. He rarely demurs except on matters of national security strategy or politics.

Take his recent interview with the New York Times reporter. Walks into the interview in the Grill Room of his golf club in West Palm Beach, alone, no staff, no press spokesmen, no policy advisers around him to clarify Trump’s answers. And no need for the reporter to guess where Trump stands on an issue; he doesn’t give focus tested responses. It’s Trump Raw.

He’s ineloquent and braggadocios, but that’s him: straightforward and honest. And for reasons I don’t quite understand, this bothers the people that prefer obfuscation, diplomacy and theater from their president — like an Obama.

That's funny.  I say exactly what's on my mind (within the limits of forum rules most of the time ), and am straightforward and honest and for reasons I don't quite understand this bothers the people that like Trump for those same qualities.

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:54 pm »
Glenn Reynolds, https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/284716/#respond, is on the right track with references to taste and status anxiety.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 04:50:29 pm »
That's funny.  I say exactly what's on my mind (within the limits of forum rules most of the time ), and am straightforward and honest and for reasons I don't quite understand this bothers the people that like Trump for those same qualities.

If you were orange, lost 90% of your moral character, and flip-flopped ideologically most of your life.......then they might cut you some slack
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 04:58:57 pm »
If you were orange, lost 90% of your moral character, and flip-flopped ideologically most of your life.......then they might cut you some slack

Well thank goodness I'm none of those things!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 05:00:34 pm »
Maybe add some cognitive thinking to the mix?   :pondering:

Wow, you are in total bitch mode today.  I sincerely hope that continues through the new year.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:03:36 pm »
Maybe adding some cognitive thinking to the mix would help??   :pondering:

In politics, emotion, sanctimony and ego trump reason. And one day I’ll be proven right!  :silly:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »
Speaking of "wow" ... I really hit a nerve. 

Happy new year, dear.   :laugh:

You could only wish.  I've just noticed a pattern with your posts this morning.  I was congratulating you.  You should enjoy the rare compliment from me when you can.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 05:22:24 pm »
You can come sit next to me with the rest of us stupid people @RoosGirl.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »
You can come sit next to me with the rest of us stupid people @RoosGirl.

And I would feel right at home @bigheadfred !   :laugh:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »
For TBR's NTs .... you're not alone!   :smokin:

Speaking of "wow" ... I really hit a nerve. 

For the record, for all the bitching you people do about being 'tired of' the same old NT arguments - it's shit like this and your snark-in-the-face and constant flick-our-noses because we do not worship and genuflect at the altar of Trump, that keeps this permanent rivalry stoked for nastiness.

The NT issue keeps coming up with bitter thread arguments because you people insist on regurgitating it, as if these silly and insipid efforts to shame those who do not seig-heil your political savior is somehow going to change any minds. 

All you continue to do, is widen the gulf to the point that I cannot discern the difference in threat to liberty with groupthink between you or the Left.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:26 pm »
And I would feel right at home @bigheadfred !   :laugh:

Please save a spot for me. Even though I find Bret Stephens an odious elitist pissant, RIV just posted the column to finally get a few hits on one of her threads. I’ve noticed that most of her threads are dominated by her talking to herself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:28:01 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »
I think it might be a nice time to point out this article is about LEFTIST "Never Trumpers," and any random shots being taken at any of the Never Trump folks here are conflating the two in order to cast some Briefers in a very negative light, possibly deliberately.  IOW, just another stating of the old argument "If you aren't 100% for Donald Trump, you are actually for Hillary Clinton."

This was debunked last year, but it still comes up.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 06:27:27 pm »
For the record, for all the bitching you people do about being 'tired of' the same old NT arguments - it's shit like this and your snark-in-the-face and constant flick-our-noses because we do not worship and genuflect at the altar of Trump, that keeps this permanent rivalry stoked for nastiness.

The NT issue keeps coming up with bitter thread arguments because you people insist on regurgitating it, as if these silly and insipid efforts to shame those who do not seig-heil your political savior is somehow going to change any minds. 

All you continue to do, is widen the gulf to the point that I cannot discern the difference in threat to liberty with groupthink between you or the Left.

Your last paragraph is money. I think they’re laying the groundwork for the day after the midterms, to blame us for the coming blowout. You know, “if only you would have supported OUR President and his agenda, this never would’ve happened.”

IOW, they’re adopting the leadership of their Dear Leader: when $hit happens, it’s YOUR fault.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:28 pm »
"I agree with every one of the policy decisions mentioned above. But I still wish Hillary Clinton were president."

He must be joking. Only he is not...

Here is further proof - as though any more were needed - that although we may one day cure cancer, there's no cure for stupid.

Donald Trump still annoys me. I wish he would stop his occasional fits of juvenile and boorish behavior.

But I thank God each and every day that he and not the serial liar, grifter and racial leftist Hillary Clinton was elected President.

Me too.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
RiV is, once again, concerned that she hasn't been able to enforce her religious hegemony on the rest of us. 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »
I think it might be a nice time to point out this article is about LEFTIST "Never Trumpers," and any random shots being taken at any of the Never Trump folks here are conflating the two in order to cast some Briefers in a very negative light, possibly deliberately.  IOW, just another stating of the old argument "If you aren't 100% for Donald Trump, you are actually for Hillary Clinton."

This was debunked last year, but it still comes up.

The distinction is lost on most Orange Brigadiers.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 06:39:06 pm »
Enough with the personal insults.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »

Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy new year @INVAR .   :happyny:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 07:12:20 pm »
Geez, passive aggressive much?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org