Author Topic: Roy Moore’s Accusers’ Stories Getting Shaky, Moore Team Planning Lawsuit  (Read 19518 times)

Online DB

Re: Roy Moore’s Accusers’ Stories Getting Shaky, Moore Team Planning Lawsuit
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2017, 03:05:21 am »
That has already occurred, and is linked somewhere hereabouts. More than one (though one named) employees of the diner in question tore huge holes in her story - to include that Moore in fact did not frequent the joint.

But all that will not catch the media, who 'merely' did their duty 'reporting'.

Yes, and his taking her to court promptly will force the media to take notice. So why isn't he?

Online DB

« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2017, 03:07:43 am »
That has already occurred, and is linked somewhere hereabouts. More than one (though one named) employees of the diner in question tore huge holes in her story - to include that Moore in fact did not frequent the joint.

But all that will not catch the media, who 'merely' did their duty 'reporting'.

Dang... "event" was supposed to be "invent"... My writing has had a pretty high error rate lately...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:24 am »
Yes, and his taking her to court promptly will force the media to take notice. So why isn't he?

To my knowledge, his suit is toward the Dems/MSM - Disproving the story works against that end - And it is still but a week into discovery and rebuttal - Election aside (which is provided for by the rebuttal in the press, I would move very slowly and make certaain every single thing is nailed down for the suit. I have only been involved in one of major significance, and that one took 8 months before we filed anything other than papers making certain the other side's evidence was neutrally cared for (much as in this case)

Online DB

« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2017, 03:31:28 am »
To my knowledge, his suit is toward the Dems/MSM - Disproving the story works against that end - And it is still but a week into discovery and rebuttal - Election aside (which is provided for by the rebuttal in the press, I would move very slowly and make certaain every single thing is nailed down for the suit. I have only been involved in one of major significance, and that one took 8 months before we filed anything other than papers making certain the other side's evidence was neutrally cared for (much as in this case)

You can file a suite tomorrow. Discovery comes later. He knows if he ever went to that restaurant and if he knew her there and signed her yearbook - he's already on the record saying he didn't, so either that is true or false. Due to an election coming up he can petition the court to expedite discovery, particularly whether she worked there at the time claimed and assigning an expert to evaluate the writing immediately. And even if not complete by the time of the election it gets the ball rolling showing strong doubt of the claims against him.

If someone is publicly making false claims about you and provides specifics that can be proven false - you go for it all in.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2017, 03:33:11 am »
If you know you never signed the yearbook in question and that you've never been to the restaurant in question, which is basically what he's claiming then can you name a legitimate reason not to sue her with extreme prejudice ASAP? If she's lying she should be crushed by the court. This isn't open to interpretation, she's made very specific claims and either they are true or they are not. Claims that can be proven false if they are false.
In civil suits the standard is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt, but a preponderance of evidence. If a jury (always a crapshoot) decided the impassioned accounts of those who claim to be wronged outweigh the denials of a man, the decision can go the other way.

Just look at the people here who are more than willing to throw this man out the door on the basis of WaPo and other liberal outlets' hyperbole, and you get the picture of what a court case could become. It is little different than the court of public opinion without the ability to conclusively prove ones self innocent of alleged wrongdoings four decades ago. Proving a negative is difficult with recent events, but with events of four decades ago? Hard to do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2017, 03:51:32 am »
In civil suits the standard is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt, but a preponderance of evidence. If a jury (always a crapshoot) decided the impassioned accounts of those who claim to be wronged outweigh the denials of a man, the decision can go the other way.

Just look at the people here who are more than willing to throw this man out the door on the basis of WaPo and other liberal outlets' hyperbole, and you get the picture of what a court case could become. It is little different than the court of public opinion without the ability to conclusively prove ones self innocent of alleged wrongdoings four decades ago. Proving a negative is difficult with recent events, but with events of four decades ago? Hard to do.

It isn't proving a negative. Either she worked there when she was 14/15 or she didn't. There should be records/witnesses that can confirm or deny that. A woman who did work there at the time said that no one less than 16 worked there and she never saw Moore there. Either Moore signed the yearbook or he didn't. Experts should be able to prove that with some certainty. Like I've said repeatedly, this is beyond she said/he said. Parts can be confirmed or exposed as a lie. It only takes one of her claims to be proven a lie and it all falls apart.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2017, 04:10:27 am »
It isn't proving a negative. Either she worked there when she was 14/15 or she didn't. There should be records/witnesses that can confirm or deny that. A woman who did work there at the time said that no one less than 16 worked there and she never saw Moore there. Either Moore signed the yearbook or he didn't. Experts should be able to prove that with some certainty. Like I've said repeatedly, this is beyond she said/he said. Parts can be confirmed or exposed as a lie. It only takes one of her claims to be proven a lie and it all falls apart.
Even if it could be shown that she did work there and that he signed the yearbook (despite questions I have about that), that still does not prove that he did any more than visit the restaurant and sign the yearbook.

Yes, disproving the employment (especially) or the signature tend to indicate the rest of her story is bunk, but even the absolute refutation of those aspects does not address the base allegation. It becomes she said/he said, and despite her credibility being severely damaged at that point, there are still those who will believe her (partly because they want to). In order to prevail in civil court, he has to prove innocence, that he did not do what has been claimed, or show she has a good reason to falsify her account, one which the jury would find more credible and compelling than her claims of wrongdoing.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2017, 04:19:39 am »
Even if it could be shown that she did work there and that he signed the yearbook (despite questions I have about that), that still does not prove that he did any more than visit the restaurant and sign the yearbook.

Yes, disproving the employment (especially) or the signature tend to indicate the rest of her story is bunk, but even the absolute refutation of those aspects does not address the base allegation. It becomes she said/he said, and despite her credibility being severely damaged at that point, there are still those who will believe her (partly because they want to). In order to prevail in civil court, he has to prove innocence, that he did not do what has been claimed, or show she has a good reason to falsify her account, one which the jury would find more credible and compelling than her claims of wrongdoing.

She made specific claims. Moore made specific claims. One of them is lying. Some of those claims are provable as to being true or false. The one caught in the lie is done.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2017, 04:29:42 am »
She made specific claims. Moore made specific claims. One of them is lying. Some of those claims are provable as to being true or false. The one caught in the lie is done.

But does he own Bruno Magli shoes?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2017, 01:38:23 pm »
Yes. But she's made very specific claims with her yearbook as an example of more than "stranger on the street" contact. Like they knew each other and crossed paths frequently at a specific place she worked. Many of those details can be proven one way or the other in court. Did she actually work there when she was 14 or 15? Did Moore ever go to that restaurant? Is that actually Moore's signature? If Moore says its all lies he should go after her hard for making knowingly false serious claims against him. And many of the points can be determined with some accuracy on whether it is true or not.
This isn’t a made for TV justice that can be solved in 15 minutes of one episode. So what’s your rush to judgement?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
In my opinion it’s probably best for Moore to let the drums die down and focus on the election first, then worry about the lawsuits. With all of the allegations now popping up about Democrats now, the heat is off him.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline thackney

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2017, 02:05:27 pm »
Those who are standing behind the ‘its not illegal’ line should ask themselves a couple questions.  What would your reaction be if a man twice their age asked to date your teenage daughter?  Would you vote for that man 30 years later?

The lines I would draw for:

1) Who I would chase away from my daughters,

2) Who I would vote for, and

3) Who I would demand not be allowed to run in an election.

Those are drastically different lines.  The criteria for one has almost nothing to do with the others.  It seems a strange thought to think they should be the same.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2017, 02:32:41 pm »
Those are drastically different lines.  The criteria for one has almost nothing to do with the others.  It seems a strange thought to think they should be the same.

Except for the fact you need to reconcile 1 and 2 in the case of Moore.

Offline thackney

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »

No, the criteria for those lines are still drastically different for me.  Are they the same for you?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »

I have utterly no problem at all voting for a man who chased teenagers 40 years ago but by all accounts has remained a faithful husband ever since being married a quarter century ago. None.

Silver Pines

« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:46 pm »
No, the criteria for those lines are still drastically different for me.  Are they the same for you?

@thackney

Seriously?  Why wouldn’t they be?

Remember back in those quaint days of yore, when conservatives insisted that politicians needed to have strong moral character?  Now it’s “Yeah, I might not trust him near my daughter but I think he’d be fine in a position of leadership.”

That can’t end well.  Anyone who thinks it can is desperately delusional.

Silver Pines

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2017, 03:03:20 pm »
I have utterly no problem at all voting for a man who chased teenagers 40 years ago but by all accounts has remained a faithful husband ever since being married a quarter century ago. None.

@skeeter

So a man in his thirties hanging around malls to meet teenagers is normal.  A man in his thirties who hung around teen girls’ recitals—-no problem.  Okay, it seems you’ve accepted he did that, and that the accounts are true.

To believe that, and none of the rest, is just picking and choosing because you want to be able to justify supporting Moore. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
@skeeter

So a man in his thirties hanging around malls to meet teenagers is normal.  A man in his thirties who hung around teen girls’ recitals—-no problem.  Okay, it seems you’ve accepted he did that, and that the accounts are true.

To believe that, and none of the rest, is just picking and choosing because you want to be able to justify supporting Moore.

@CatherineofAragon

Except that you have no proof that any of that actually occurred!  NONE!  All you have is rumor, innuendo, and media lies! 

BTW:  I personally doubt that you have ever voted for anything other than a Democrat in your life!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2017, 03:11:23 pm »
@skeeter

I accept that which he's admitted to and nothing else.

And, since he's led a pretty much exemplary life in the decades since I would have no problem voting for him today.

That shouldn't bother you so much.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:11:53 pm by skeeter »

Offline edpc

« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »

Thirty years ago, I wouldn’t chase 16 and 17 year olds - and I was 19, not in my 30s.  You sure as hell wouldn’t have seen me at school recitals.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:12:22 pm by edpc »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »
Thirty years ago, I wouldn’t chase 16 and 17 year olds - and I was 19, not in my 30s.  You sure as hell wouldn’t have seen me at school recitals.

I went to all kinds of dances and recitals my whole life long. And I frequented the mall when it was 'the thing', because that's where everybody was, not just young girls. If you're not in the bars here, there aren't that many other social forms of excitement.

In fact, it's still that way today.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
BTW:  I personally doubt that you have ever voted for anything other than a Democrat in your life!

I am inclined to agree.

I do not believe the Moore accusers, but even if I did, I'd still vote for him. We need
every vote we can get in the Senate.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »
@skeeter

You mean like he used to hang around the restaurant that Betty Young used to work for - except another woman working there at the time says he absolutely didn't?

If he didn't hang out there, I doubt he hung out at the mall either. It's a bogus narrative trying to portray that he had a creepy pattern of behavior, which is a typical liberal hit job tactic.

And you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2017, 03:41:04 pm »
I am inclined to agree.

I do not believe the Moore accusers, but even if I did, I'd still vote for him. We need
every vote we can get in the Senate.

That is highly disturbing.