Author Topic: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan  (Read 4779 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:19 pm »
Because we're not fiscally responsible, especially given the federal government's ability to print money rather than live within a budget.

Then wouldn't it make sense to get spending under control and cut the fat instead if continuing to enable the irresponsibility by increasing the tax burden on people already having too much taken out of their paychecks as it is?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »
This where us Trump supporters button down and hold Trump's feet to the fire.

We didn't sign up for tax increases. We elected Trump to decrease taxes and decrease government spending, IE decrease the size of the massively bloated federal government and cut the 20 trillion dollar debt.

If he doesn't do it, or at least fight hard to do it, then we have a problem.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
Because we're not fiscally responsible, especially given the federal government's ability to print money rather than live within a budget.

You're exactly right.

Weimar Republic here we come unless we smarten up, and I wish I was kidding.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:58 pm »
Then wouldn't it make sense to get spending under control and cut the fat instead if continuing to enable the irresponsibility by increasing the tax burden on people already having too much taken out of their paychecks as it is?

Not so easy, when the majority of the budget is consumed by entitlement programs.   Republicans did, of course, try very recently to convert an open-ended entitlement program into block grants to the states.   You opposed it.   

One of Trump's big issues in 2016 was fixing infrastructure.   He also ran on making no changes to Social Security and Medicare.  His supporters -  the working poor who've been devastated by globalization - want these things, even if conservatives don't.    They want the government's programs that preserve their security in old age to be maintained, and they want the jobs that will come from infrastructure spending.

Now you can reflexively oppose such things, or you can do as I do -  take the position that, fine - you want these things, then be prepared to pay for them.   I don't disagree that more infrastructure spending may be appropriate - so many roads and bridges are in disrepair, and I think it ought to be a national security priority to harden the electric grid.   But nothing's free.   So, yeah, raise the gas tax.   It's irresponsible not to.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »
Not so easy, when the majority of the budget is consumed by entitlement programs.   Republicans did, of course, try very recently to convert an open-ended entitlement program into block grants to the states.   You opposed it.   

One of Trump's big issues in 2016 was fixing infrastructure.   He also ran on making no changes to Social Security and Medicare.  His supporters -  the working poor who've been devastated by globalization - want these things, even if conservatives don't.    They want the government's programs that preserve their security in old age to be maintained, and they want the jobs that will come from infrastructure spending.

Now you can reflexively oppose such things, or you can do as I do -  take the position that, fine - you want these things, then be prepared to pay for them.   I don't disagree that more infrastructure spending may be appropriate - so many roads and bridges are in disrepair, and I think it ought to be a national security priority to harden the electric grid.   But nothing's free.   So, yeah, raise the gas tax.   It's irresponsible not to.

I opposed putting lipstick on a pic and calling it change.  That is what the superficial changes to Obamacare are.

Full repeal will be a true Conservative cost cutting measure.

Not the warmed over Liberal ideas you at trying to tout as "Conservative".

The Infrastructure meme as I clearly showed you and you blatantly ignored is a tired Liberal meme that's been trotted out for almost 20 years.

If you add up all the money spent on the infrastructure "crisis" since 1993 you could have rebuilt every road and bridge in the U.S. 3 times over.

It's a sham and you're a fraud for trying to defend and justify it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 05:08:17 pm »
Not the warmed over Liberal ideas you at trying to tout as "Conservative".

If you add up all the money spent on the infrastructure "crisis" since 1993 you could have rebuilt every road and bridge in the U.S. 3 times over.

It's a sham and you're a fraud for trying to defend and justify it.

BINGO.

He still thinks his liberal-Leftist/Big Government Statism agenda can beguile people here on this board because he insists he is a 'Conservative".

He's not. 

His own words identify him to be a raving Liberal Statist.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:08:37 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
It's not conservative to spend money you don't have.   If investment in crumbling infrastructure is a good thing - and it will no doubt provide jobs to lots of folks who've been hurting lately - then raising the gas tax by a modest amount strikes me as perfectly conservative.

Now, one can argue that additional infrastructure spending isn't needed, or that such money will likely be wasted because government inevitably messes with the free market.   But if we decide to rebuild roads and bridges, then raising the gas tax to pay for it is simply being responsible.

I do like the fact the tax as proposed is static rather than dynamic.   To me, that's conservative.  A 7-cent tax won't increase in the future as the price of gas rises.   A 7-percent tax, by contrast,  gives the government a revenue boost whenever it effects other policies that increase the price of fuel.     

big stinking load of carp! Show me one time where the majority of these supposedly targeted taxes actually go where they are supposed to instead of siphoned off to other uses or payoffs! Freaking sounds like a Jerry Moonbeam Brown plan.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:51 pm »
Trump ran on a Rockefeller Republican platform.  The excise tax is the only reasonable way to pay for the massive infrastructure plan he promised.  You might have voted against Hillary, but if you chose Trump, this was what you told the rest of us to ignore.  Just wait until the bill comes for entitlements and our ludicruous "defense" budget.

Offline thackney

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »
The excise tax is the only reasonable way to pay for the massive infrastructure plan he promised.

Actually, cutting the spending of the existing gasoline and diesel tax to only be used for roads and bridges, would free up more dollars than the 7 cent tax increase.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
Trump ran on a Rockefeller Republican platform.  The excise tax is the only reasonable way to pay for the massive infrastructure plan he promised.  You might have voted against Hillary, but if you chose Trump, this was what you told the rest of us to ignore.  Just wait until the bill comes for entitlements and our ludicruous "defense" budget.

Trump is a Democrat who ran for the presidency as a Republican. Voters either completely forgot Trump's Democrat roots or made the claim that he has "evolved."   

Well, no he hasn't. 

And did these voters really think that Trump, with his gold-laden palaces, really cares about them, or understands how hard it is for most of us to earn a dime, only to have that dime confiscated through taxes?

This whole infrastructure scam sounds just like the numerous tax and spend plans promulgated by Obama and every other politician of both parties. Time for Trump supporters to wake up and realize that the so-called non-politician they elected as president is just as much another tax and spend politician as all the rest.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
What Federal infrastructure is there?  As far as I know there are no federally maintained roads or bridges in Florida.  Are there in other states?  They are either state, county or city maintained.  As far as I know there are no federally maintained water or wastewater treatment plants.  As far as I know there are no federally maintained stormwater treatment facilities.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I want to know.

Offline thackney

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »
What Federal infrastructure is there?  As far as I know there are no federally maintained roads or bridges in Florida.  Are there in other states?  They are either state, county or city maintained.  As far as I know there are no federally maintained water or wastewater treatment plants.  As far as I know there are no federally maintained stormwater treatment facilities.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I want to know.

List of United States federally maintained roads
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federally_maintained_roads
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:28 pm »
List of United States federally maintained roads
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federally_maintained_roads

Looks like they're all in National Parks

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:29 pm »
And then there is the National Park entrance Fee going from $25 to $70 per car to help pay for infrastructure improvements..  **nononono*

Making America Great Again - one price increase at a time.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
Looks like they're all in National Parks

Well, I know that Pennsylvania maintains the interstates through the state, but maybe they get some money from the feds?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 06:39:41 pm »
And then there is the National Park entrance Fee going from $25 to $70 per car to help pay for infrastructure improvements..  **nononono*

Making America Great Again - one price increase at a time.

If you think the infrastructure needs upgrading .... how would you like to see it paid for?  @NavyCanDo

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
If you think the infrastructure needs upgrading .... how would you like to see it paid for?  @NavyCanDo

How about with all the money that's already been allocated for "infrastructure" that's been set aside going back to 1993?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2017, 06:43:49 pm »
Well, I know that Pennsylvania maintains the interstates through the state, but maybe they get some money from the feds?

Yep, from the federal taxes already placed on fuel and federal income tax that first has to go to DC and then be doled back to the states.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:19 pm »

Did you just quote Nancy Pelosi?  Sure sounds like something a true blue liberal would say.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2017, 06:49:14 pm »
How about with all the money that's already been allocated for "infrastructure" that's been set aside going back to 1993?

I asked a serious question @txradioguy   so how about you try for once to give an answer not shrouded in absurdities?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2017, 06:58:51 pm »
It’s worth noting most infrastructure is funded, built, and owned by private actors, not public ones. In 2015, $2.3 trillion was spent building private infrastructure in the U.S., including pipelines, power stations, refineries, freight railroads, cell phone and broadband networks, and factories. That was about five times the size of public infrastructure spending that same year of $472 billion, split about $192 billion by the federal government and $280 billion by state and local governments. Most of that (about one-third) was for highways, with the rest primarily water utilities, mass transit, schools, and passenger rail. Most of the federal money was for new projects; most of the state and local money was for operations or maintenance of infrastructure. Unless we’re talking about spending much more money than either Clinton or Trump ever proposed, the biggest bang for the buck will be reducing obstacles in the way of private infrastructure builders.

https://taxfoundation.org/trump-infrastructure-plans/

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:18 pm »
I asked a serious question @txradioguy   so how about you try for once to give an answer not shrouded in absurdities?

What exactly is "absurd" about pointing out that all the "infrastructure spending" the Beast in DC has taxed us for (Remember Obama's infamous 'American Recovery and Reinvestment Act?) and what do we have to show for it?

Nothing.  It was all pocketed and misused as is everything the Beast devours for itself as it plunder us dry.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »

Through cuts in spending elsewhere. Close down a couple bureaus and and embassy, and you've probably got the money right there.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2017, 07:06:44 pm »

An "absurdity" is going from $25 to $70 to pay for infrastructure. That kind of a massive price increase on "anything" should raise serious questions. Would you find as palatable if Obama did it?   

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2017, 07:11:52 pm »

I've said it before here and I will say it again... the USA is repeating the fate of the former USSR where unscrupulous oligarchs [many of them NOT ethnic Russian] bought up denationalized industry pennies on the dollar and became wealthy while the average Russian suffered and starved.