Author Topic: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan  (Read 4778 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan
By Melanie Zanona - 10/25/17 03:02 PM EDT

The White House may back the first hike in the federal gasoline tax in decades in order to pay for President Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure package. 

Trump’s economic adviser Gary Cohn reportedly told moderate House lawmakers at a private meeting on Wednesday that they'll get a chance to vote on a gas tax hike early next year as part of an infrastructure bill, which was first reported by Politico Playbook.

"Cohn seemed receptive to it," one meeting participant told The Hill.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/357153-white-house-eyes-7-cent-gas-tax-hike-for-infrastructure-plan
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:53 pm »
There must be pre-Halloween seances being held in the WH, communicating with Paul Tsongas.

As it is, the Feds collect $0.18 per gallon of gasoline and $0.24 on diesel.  That is an unbelievable amount of money across 50 states. If they can’t find cuts in the current budget to fund it, they don’t need it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:21:47 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:12:12 pm »
How is this conservative? It is not worth to pay for Trump's mobster friends.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »
"Cohn seemed receptive to it," one meeting participant told The Hill.

I call bullshit. Cohn met with RINO's and one of them said he was "receptive". That means he didn't bring it up, but a swell piece of Leftist filth like Charlie Dent did.

re·cep·tive
rəˈseptiv/
adjective
adjective: receptive

willing to consider or accept new suggestions and ideas.
    "a receptive audience"
    synonyms:   open-minded, responsive, amenable, well disposed, flexible, approachable, accessible; archaicsusceptive
    "a receptive audience"
    antonyms:   unresponsive
        able or willing to receive something, especially signals or stimuli.
        (of a female animal) ready to mate.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:55 am »
Not just no, but HELL NO.

What type of Republicans are in DC anyway?  New taxes??

Even their own platform says not to have new taxes.

Republican budgets will prioritize thrift over
extravagance and put taxpayers first.

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/static/home/data/platform.pdf

We need to get rid of these imbeciles.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:01 am »
Not just no, but HELL NO.

What type of Republicans are in DC anyway?  New taxes??

Even their own platform says not to have new taxes.

Republican budgets will prioritize thrift over
extravagance and put taxpayers first.

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/static/home/data/platform.pdf

We need to get rid of these imbeciles.

What you said!   :thumbsup3:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:44:33 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:52:32 am »
Well...isn't this just hunky dory.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:10:13 am »
How about we use that "shovel ready jobs" slush fund Obama created for this?

Oh wait that's right...it's now been absorbed into the yearly budget requests.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:15:08 am »
I would take a moment to point this thread out to those Tump advocates that swear he is conservative and following conservative principles.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:22 am »

First they want to raise income taxes for many lower and middle incomes, now the gasoline tax.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:02:13 am »
Trump better be damn careful not to have a "read my lips" moment.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:12:34 am »
Pennsylvania gas prices are already the highest or one of the highest in the nation because the state gasoline tax is high.  Add in an increase in the federal tax and the price of a gallon of gas will be astronomical. 

By the way,  Pennsylvania allegedly uses its gasoline taxes to fix and maintain the roads and bridges.  Yet, PA has the worst roads in the country.  I wouldn't trust that an increase in the federal tax will really be used on federal roadways.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 08:24:10 am »
Pennsylvania gas prices are already the highest or one of the highest in the nation because the state gasoline tax is high.  Add in an increase in the federal tax and the price of a gallon of gas will be astronomical. 

By the way,  Pennsylvania allegedly uses its gasoline taxes to fix and maintain the roads and bridges.  Yet, PA has the worst roads in the country.  I wouldn't trust that an increase in the federal tax will really be used on federal roadways.

Probably much of it will be used for salary and benefit increases of DOT white collar government union employees.

We elected Trump to cut waste in government and make government more efficient. Not to add to the cost and pay more money to people who are already overpaid.

They should be reducing the gas tax, not increasing it, while repairing and building infrastructure at the same time.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
How about we use that "shovel ready jobs" slush fund Obama created for this?

Oh wait that's right...it's now been absorbed into the yearly budget requests.

This may be a tough sell not only to Congress but the public at large and one of the reasons is what you stated

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:48 pm »
How is this conservative? It is not worth to pay for Trump's mobster friends.

It's not conservative to spend money you don't have.   If investment in crumbling infrastructure is a good thing - and it will no doubt provide jobs to lots of folks who've been hurting lately - then raising the gas tax by a modest amount strikes me as perfectly conservative.

Now, one can argue that additional infrastructure spending isn't needed, or that such money will likely be wasted because government inevitably messes with the free market.   But if we decide to rebuild roads and bridges, then raising the gas tax to pay for it is simply being responsible.

I do like the fact the tax as proposed is static rather than dynamic.   To me, that's conservative.  A 7-cent tax won't increase in the future as the price of gas rises.   A 7-percent tax, by contrast,  gives the government a revenue boost whenever it effects other policies that increase the price of fuel.     

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:43:24 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 12:39:36 pm »

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/consumer-information/motor-fuel-taxes
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 12:50:28 pm »

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/consumer-information/motor-fuel-taxes

Thanks. 

And I must correct myself, in the last rankings PA's roads came in third worst.  But they have in other years been rated the worst.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »
Trump better be damn careful not to have a "read my lips" moment.

He's already had too many.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 01:00:11 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:24 pm »
It's not conservative to spend money you don't have.  If investment in crumbling infrastructure is a good thing - and it will no doubt provide jobs to lots of folks who've been hurting lately - then raising the gas tax by a modest amount strikes me as perfectly conservative.

Now, one can argue that additional infrastructure spending isn't needed, or that such money will likely be wasted because government inevitably messes with the free market.   But if we decide to rebuild roads and bridges, then raising the gas tax to pay for it is simply being responsible.

I do like the fact the tax as proposed is static rather than dynamic.   To me, that's conservative.  A 7-cent tax won't increase in the future as the price of gas rises.   A 7-percent tax, by contrast,  gives the government a revenue boost whenever it effects other policies that increase the price of fuel.     

Those jobs won't be much use if the cost of basic necessities like food go up.  And you had better believe that any increase in the cost of transporting goods will be passed on to the consumer. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »
Those jobs won't be much use if the cost of basic necessities like food go up.  And you had better believe that any increase in the cost of transporting goods will be passed on to the consumer.

Of course.  But crumbling roads and bridges raise the cost of transportation too.  Potholes damage tires and suspensions;  a closed bridge will force truckers to make detours.   And hardening the electric grid could save us incalculable amounts if it can help minimize the damage from an EMP strike.

Is investment in infrastructure a good idea?   For conservatives, that's debatable.  What ought not be debatable is taking responsibility to pay for it. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 01:09:30 pm »
If investment in crumbling infrastructure is a good thing - and it will no doubt provide jobs to lots of folks who've been hurting lately - then raising the gas tax by a modest amount strikes me as perfectly conservative.

How many more "infrastructure crisis'" are we going to be told we're in before the people get wise to the fact that it's just a way to get more money to spend into the general fund at the expense of the people?

This is no different than people demanding money because "it's for the children".

We went through this infrastructure crap with Obama right after he took office.  You're telling me that in 8 short years after the trillions of dollars spent supposedly spent on "infrastructure"...it's still at the point of collapse?

I call bullsh*t on this whole thing.  It's not Conservative and it's not necessary.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:21 pm »
How many more "infrastructure crisis'" are we going to be told we're in before the people get wise to the fact that it's just a way to get more money to spend into the general fund at the expense of the people?

This is no different than people demanding money because "it's for the children".

We went through this infrastructure crap with Obama right after he took office.  You're telling me that in 8 short years after the trillions of dollars spent supposedly spent on "infrastructure"...it's still at the point of collapse?

I call bullsh*t on this whole thing.  It's not Conservative and it's not necessary.

Roads and bridges in good shape where you live?  Well, not where I do.   And do you think we shouldn't prioritize hardening the electric grid?   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »
Of course.  But crumbling roads and bridges raise the cost of transportation too.  Potholes damage tires and suspensions;  a closed bridge will force truckers to make detours.   And hardening the electric grid could save us incalculable amounts if it can help minimize the damage from an EMP strike.

Is investment in infrastructure a good idea?   For conservatives, that's debatable.  What ought not be debatable is taking responsibility to pay for it.

But we can't rely on the assurances that an increase in the gas tax will indeed go toward improving our infrastructure.  Government loves to create a "crisis" -- in this case, a supposedly crumbling infrastructure -- and the only solution is to throw money at it.  Only.  the money is not spent on the "crisis."  In fact, most of the time we don't know where the money went to because governmental agencies are not held accountable.  The money often disappears. 

Both parties think the American taxpayer is an infinite source of revenue and they can just hit us  all up for more money anytime they feel like it.  If they want more tax dollars to solve this "crisis," then let us see specifically where the money is going to go.  Give us a full and complete description of every proposed road, bridge or grid project.  And as these projects move forward, provide us with an accounting of every dollar spent.  Finally, each project must be done right the first time with the best materials and the most competent workers.  None of this hiring some congressman's buddies or buying inferior materials which won't last, requiring the project to be done over again later.  There should be no tax increase unless these conditions are met.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:40 pm »
Roads and bridges in good shape where you live?  Well, not where I do.   And do you think we shouldn't prioritize hardening the electric grid?   

Then your city, county and state need to be taking care of that.  We don't need the Federal government imposing yet another tax on an already over taxed society just so they have more money to spend on useless crap that benefits no one.

You're more of a fool than I already know you for if you honestly think any of this new tax scam will actually go for roads and bridges.