Author Topic: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan  (Read 4780 times)

Offline thackney

Re: White House eyes 7-cent gas tax hike for infrastructure plan
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »

I've said it before here and I will say it again... the USA is repeating the fate of the former USSR where unscrupulous oligarchs [many of them NOT ethnic Russian] bought up denationalized industry pennies on the dollar and became wealthy while the average Russian suffered and starved.

What "national" industries do you believe the US owns, that is going to be sold to private investment?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »
I asked a serious question @txradioguy   so how about you try for once to give an answer not shrouded in absurdities?

At least 5 times since 1993 and as recently as 2015 when it was first proposed by Bill Clinton and most recently by Obama....there have been HUGE spending proposals in order to address the infrastructure "crisis".

I listed those with links a couple pages ago.

Perhaps you should go back and look at what's bene posted before you go accusing people of that which you're doing yourself because you're too intellectually lazy to understand the topic.

I gave an intelligent answer...too intelligent for you it would appear.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2017, 07:28:29 pm »
At least 5 times since 1993 and as recently as 2015 when it was first proposed by Bill Clinton and most recently by Obama....there have been HUGE spending proposals in order to address the infrastructure "crisis". ... 

Are you saying our infrastructure is okay and doesn't need improvement ... or are you saying we should find money allocated by Congress starting 24 years ago?

Which one?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2017, 07:38:28 pm »
or are you saying we should find money allocated by Congress starting 24 years ago?

Yes.  Plus the money allocated in 2009 and in 2015.  The 2015 bill signed by Obama was $305 billion.

Not to mention there are federal taxes on every gallon of gas pumped every single day in this country that is imposed specifically for the upkeep of the nations roads and bridges.

Google search Highway Trust Fund...then tell me if the Federal Government is already getting more than enough money from the tax payers to maintain highways and bridges.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:44 pm »
How about cutting some other area to pay for this?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
Not so easy, when the majority of the budget is consumed by entitlement programs.
Who ever said it was easy?

We elected a GOP Congress and Executive to control the budget and spending.  Did we say "You are elected just in case it is easy to do what you say"?

Hell NO.

Get the insanity out of paying people to loaf while collecting the money from those who work, and we can certainly reduce entitlement programs.

And BTW, we need to chase that word 'Entitlement' back into the hellhole it originated from.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2017, 08:12:45 pm »
Well, I know that Pennsylvania maintains the interstates through the state, but maybe they get some money from the feds?
It's still Pennsylvania's damn road, not mine to pay for in Texas.

You pay for yours, and I'll pay for mine.  Believe me, you do not want to pay for the miles of roads we have down here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:39 pm »
If you think the infrastructure needs upgrading .... how would you like to see it paid for?  @NavyCanDo
The state is the responsible entity.

Look at each state for paying.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2017, 08:15:17 pm »
How about cutting some other area to pay for this?

Oh, we can't do that.  What about the poor?  What about the chilrin?    Blah, blah, blah. 

No matter what is being cut, some "group" will be whining about how disastrous it will be for them.  Those whiners are voters, and no politician in his or her right mind, is going to want to upset a particular group of voters. 

We ordinary hard working tax paying shlubs are at a disadvantage.  Unlike the slackers. the perpetually offended groups  et al. -- we don't have anyone to whine for us.  Oh, we might whine and complain on this forum, but in the end we hand over our paycheck every time. 

We need another Boston Tea Party.  But unfortunately, I don't see it happening.  We just can't stop obeying the law and following the rules. 

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2017, 08:16:18 pm »

I've said it before here and I will say it again... the USA is repeating the fate of the former USSR where unscrupulous oligarchs [many of them NOT ethnic Russian] bought up denationalized industry pennies on the dollar and became wealthy while the average Russian suffered and starved.
I'll play your game.

Where are those industries the US has denationalized?  @KingsX

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:10 pm »
Are you saying our infrastructure is okay and doesn't need improvement ... or are you saying we should find money allocated by Congress starting 24 years ago?

Which one?
A Congress which is fiscally responsible would conduct extensive reviews of exactly the question you posed and dig into what went right or wrong with any fiscal allocations for infrastructure.

Would that answer your question?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »

And BTW, we need to chase that word 'Entitlement' back into the hellhole it originated from.

Is that how you feel about Social Security? 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Applewood

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:30 pm »
It's still Pennsylvania's damn road, not mine to pay for in Texas.

You pay for yours, and I'll pay for mine.  Believe me, you do not want to pay for the miles of roads we have down here.

Believe me.  We in PA are paying for our roads.  And we have nothing to show for it. 

This is why I oppose raising the federal gas tax.  Our state gas tax goes up, but the roads and bridges are still a mess.  I know that if the federal tax goes up, the roads and bridges will still be a mess. 

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
Why do you say that and not address the rest of what was said?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:22:54 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2017, 08:24:13 pm »
Believe me.  We in PA are paying for our roads.  And we have nothing to show for it. 

This is why I oppose raising the federal gas tax.  Our state gas tax goes up, but the roads and bridges are still a mess.  I know that if the federal tax goes up, the roads and bridges will still be a mess.
It is easier to complain to your state on that than it is to DC.

As Liam would say "Good Luck".

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:16 pm »

I also think they have called for High Speed Choo Choo..

Yes they have.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
It is easier to complain to your state on that than it is to DC.

As Liam would say "Good Luck".

Not really.  Here we have a Republican majority in both houses of the legislature, but they might as well all be Democrats.  They too don't really care about the average taxpayer. 

Right now, the state has passed a budget, but it's still trying to figure out how to pay for it.  I don't know about you, but I look at how much money I have before I decide on how to spend it.  Here, they put out their wish list, then scramble around looking for money to pay for it.  Of course, it will be the taxpayers footing the bill.  And the money raised will once again go down the rabbit hole. 

Don't expect the federal increase in the gas tax to be any different.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »
Roads and bridges in good shape where you live?  Well, not where I do.   And do you think we shouldn't prioritize hardening the electric grid?   

Come to North Texas. The increase in the gas tax will punish Texans for the billions poured into roads and infrastructure.

Our problem is that over 100k new residents are added every year.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
Come to North Texas. The increase in the gas tax will punish Texans for the billions poured into roads and infrastructure.

Our problem is that over 100k new residents are added every year.

It will also punish those of us who are rural.  Long drives and no chance of public transportation.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:20 pm »
It will also punish those of us who are rural.  Long drives and no chance of public transportation.

Good point. I just landed a job at an Amazon Fulfillment Center a few miles from my house. It will pay most of the bills until my SS and pension fully kick in. Wife's mad at me for retiring early, but I've run the numbers and we're in good shape. My job was boring as all get out, with a commute of 30 miles in each direction.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »

What "national" industries do you believe the US owns, that is going to be sold to private investment?

I was referring to the end result... a  nation ruled by an unelected but very wealthy and powerful elite oligarchy who could care less whether the average citizen had a place to live or enough to eat.

But now that you mention it...  there are many things that used to be government controlled that are now controlled by big business....  highways and prisons are the first two to come to mind...  many local, state and federal governments now contract out to private companies... from trash collecting to NASA.  The GOP promotes more of the same.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2017, 09:41:39 pm »
Yes they have.

I have always been against it. Also with driver less cars coming in 10 - 20 years, I just don't see the need for high speed choo choo..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2017, 10:17:35 pm »

Especially SOSEC because I won't see a dime of what I've paid into it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:49 pm »
Now that I finally am on a real computer, I can type out my 2c on this matter.

First of all, it is a very good point several are making. How many 'infrastructure crisis' bills have we had in the past few decades totaling how many trillions of dollars yet we see little to no accomplishment and the government keeps coming back and telling us every few years we are in another crisis, pointing out the same examples that were never fixed during the last crisis threw hundreds of billions of dollars at it... lather, rinse, repeat. (at that, there are a couple of the very same bridges they use as the same example in stories I can find every five years or so).

At some point, when your teenage daughter tells you she needs a hundred dollars for shoes for gym ever week, and you keep giving her your Amex without ever seeing shoes, you should ask yourself what she is really spending that on. The government should be forced to account for our money that is being spent and we need to say No! occasionally (often) until our public servants show they are prudent with the fruits of our labor....

....now, on to the other discussion regarding paying for it with more taxes. Something we constantly hear from the left. I have a bit of an analogy for you.

Imagine the US economy is a big corn farm and you are the farmer.

Do you have that in your mind? Good.

Now, on your farm, with your corn, you have to feed your family and your employees, so you set a bit aside for them and you plan for that in how you plant your fields. You also have corn you sell to the towns, after all, that's why you have a farm.

Most importantly, you have to set aside some of your corn to replant for the next year's harvest.

Now here comes Mr. Government Man, and he tells you he needs some of that corn so he can pay people to fix the roads for you. All well and good, you account for that, adjusting the corn you set aside to replant, the corn you sell, and the corn your family eats to give Mr. Government Man his corn.

..and every year, Mr. Government Man keeps coming back, wanting more and more corn. The more corn he takes, the less you have to replant.

Soon you start to have a choice, do you replant the corn or do you feed your family.  The less you replant, the less you have to feed your family next year and the less you can replant until your crop gets smaller and smaller.

Worse, as in this analogy, that darn road never gets fixed....

That's how the economy works. The more government takes, the less that is invested in the economy to grow. The more the government allows to stay in the economy, the more it grows so the more they can have in the long run. But the government doesn't think in the long run, they think about how much they can squeeze now.

That's why economist after economist from Art Laffer to Milton Friedman have shown, and we can see this from actual past events, that increasing taxes actually decreases revenues to the government over the long run, while decreasing taxes increases revenue to the government.

Simply put, the more the economy grows, the more the government will get in the long run for their precious, precious roads....

...but of course, that means less control and more long-term planning that is accountable. Bureaucrats don't like that.