Author Topic: Gary Cohn: Typical US Family Earning $100,000 to Get $1,000 Tax Cut Under Trump Plan  (Read 2049 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 03:29 PM

A typical U.S. family with two children earning $100,000 a year can expect a tax cut of $1,000 under President Donald Trump's proposed tax overhaul, White House economic adviser Gary Cohn said on Thursday.

Cohn also told reporters at the White House that the repeal of estate tax and alternative minimum tax would be immediate under the proposal.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gary-cohn-trump-tax-cut/2017/09/28/id/816466/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

Unfortunately, during the same press briefing, Cohn failed to explain how this tax plan didn't benefit the President (President Trump stated it "was not good for" him.  This despite Cohn being asked about it three times.  It certainly seems as though the President would likely benefit from the top rate going down, eliminating the AMT, and eliminating the estate tax. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:21:25 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

This year under current IRS rules a single senior would get his first $11,900 tax free [senior standard deduction plus one personal exemption [both eliminated under the proposed GOP tax plan] then pay a 10% tax rate.   Trump's tax plan would give him a $12,000 standard deduction [$100 more] but raise the tax rate to 12%.

Then what happens next year?  Under current IRS rules,   standard deductions and personal exemptions increase with inflation.   What happens to the GOP's proposed $12,000 single deduction?  Does it increase with inflation?  The devil is in the details.  Don't buy a pig in a poke.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:20:58 pm by KingsX »

Offline KingsX

Unfortunately, during the same press briefing, Cohn failed to explain how this tax plan didn't benefit the President (President Trump stated it "was not good for" him.  This despite Cohn being asked about it three times.  It certainly seems as though the President would likely benefit from the top rate going down, eliminating the AMT, and eliminating the estate tax.

Trump still  has not made his tax documents public.

Last I heard the GOP had not yet revealed the income ranges for their three new tax rates.

Did Cohn release that info ??

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:29:12 pm by KingsX »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
They are playing so coy with no indication of what the brackets are. No deductions, no 10% rate, no 15%, the threshold for the 25% brackets needs to be about 200K to give the middle class a 12% rate. The 12% bracket is going to be a tax increase for a lot of people in the 30K-50K area. I despise our rulers.
Principles matter. Words matter.

RAT Patrol

How about this tax plan:  REDUCE SPENDING

I do not understand the disconnect between taxes and spending.  That goes for everyone.  Well, the Democrats like both taxes and spending so long as the majority of the taxes are paid by Republicans.  The GOP lives in fantasy land where they don't have to balance anything.  They just have to grandstand for the next campaign, paying special attention to donors.  We are headed for bankruptcy.  In that case I guess we picked the right President after all.

Offline libertybele

They are playing so coy with no indication of what the brackets are. No deductions, no 10% rate, no 15%, the threshold for the 25% brackets needs to be about 200K to give the middle class a 12% rate. The 12% bracket is going to be a tax increase for a lot of people in the 30K-50K area. I despise our rulers.

Agreed. On the surface and what has been made an issue front and center is the doubling of the standard deduction, which sounds great too many.  What they aren't realizing is that the amount over the standard deduction will be taxed for many at a higher rate.  That increases taxes; especially since many of the itemized deductions aren't allowed.  Secondly there are new tax rules for Social Security, IRA's, pensions and retirement. So it seems to me that they aren't giving tax breaks at all but instead are merely shuffling a few things around redistributing the tax burden predominately to seniors and those receiving SS and Medicare benefits AND raising the taxes on IRA and pension distributions.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Concerned

I do not understand the disconnect between taxes and spending.  That goes for everyone.  Well, the Democrats like both taxes and spending so long as the majority of the taxes are paid by Republicans.  The GOP lives in fantasy land where they don't have to balance anything.  They just have to grandstand for the next campaign, paying special attention to donors.  We are headed for bankruptcy.  In that case I guess we picked the right President after all.

@RAT Patrol

:thumbsup:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm waiting to see something official in writing on all this. Rush had a long 'here is what I was told by someone in the know' speech today that wasnt totally clear. For example, will someone in the current 33 bracket go down to the new 28 or up to the new 35?
They say these are cuts but they also say the top brackets (with s so I assume the top two brackets) wont benefit. But that means someone on the low end of the 33 bracket could see a 2 percent hike.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I'm waiting to see something official in writing on all this. Rush had a long 'here is what I was told by someone in the know' speech today that wasnt totally clear. For example, will someone in the current 33 bracket go down to the new 28 or up to the new 35?
They say these are cuts but they also say the top brackets (with s so I assume the top two brackets) wont benefit. But that means someone on the low end of the 33 bracket could see a 2 percent hike.

Missed Rush today but here is what you are talking about

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=283337.new#new
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline KingsX

After the Soviet Union fell,  Russia was [and still is] ruled by a rich oligarch elite
who bought factories and other state assets pennies on the dollar. Worker wages
decreased [many were not paid at all] while inflation increased. Food cost soared
and many people starved.

In other words,  destroying the Soviet Union made a lot of unscrupulous people
very rich and powerful,  while the Russian people suffered. 

Something similar could happen here.  I think this tax cut for the rich is the beginning.

Offline libertybele

IMHO because of the increase in the standard deduction, I think most are going to move up a tax bracket and the tax code will be simplified eliminating many of the itemized deductions. Bottom line is the tax man is going to get his money one way or the other and those in Congress aren't going to vote on a new tax formula that won't benefit them.  I think it's safe to say that most of our Congressmen make a lot more than most of us.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mom MD

I get so sick of the tax cut for the rich mantra.  The rich do not pay income tax because they do not work.  What people are calling the rich are the high income earners who are not rich and who pay most of the taxes.   The bottom 50% of earners pay little to no tax.  So if you want to cut taxes you need to do so for the people that actually pay tax, or the "rich"
God is still in control

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I get so sick of the tax cut for the rich mantra.  The rich do not pay income tax because they do not work.  What people are calling the rich are the high income earners who are not rich and who pay most of the taxes.   The bottom 50% of earners pay little to no tax.  So if you want to cut taxes you need to do so for the people that actually pay tax, or the "rich"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Absolutely right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

RAT Patrol

After the Soviet Union fell,  Russia was [and still is] ruled by a rich oligarch elite
who bought factories and other state assets pennies on the dollar. Worker wages
decreased [many were not paid at all] while inflation increased. Food cost soared
and many people starved.

In other words,  destroying the Soviet Union made a lot of unscrupulous people
very rich and powerful,  while the Russian people suffered. 

Something similar could happen here.  I think this tax cut for the rich is the beginning.

So you think the Soviet Union was better?  I don't.  They needed to dump that evil system no matter what the cost.  When an evil power has a grip on a nation, you can bet the remedy will be costly and take time.  If North Korea is ever able to dump the crazy man controlling them, bet on a long and costly transition....but don't look back longingly.  You might become salt.

Whatever corruption currently exists in Russia, and I am no expert, they can more easily hope for a future correction now than they could under the old system.  Time is not stagnant and political improvement never comes easily or quickly.  There is also ALWAYS a tendency to return to the old and familiar no matter how rotten.  Russia did not know how to live free.  Give them time.  Some generations must live for the benefit of their progeny.    It's that "give me liberty or give me death" and "pledge our lives, fortunes, sacred honor.." mentality.

Our country, unfortunately, has abandoned the principles we were given by our forefathers.  We will have to learn those lessons all over again.  More government is not the answer.  It never was.  Never will be.   Men are corrupt and cannot be trusted.  Oh what a lovely gift we had for awhile -- the Declaration of Independence; the Constitution; God given rights that cannot be taken away; limited and representative government; states' rights; a government of laws, not men.. etc.  Now we are like dogs fighting over the same trough, barking for more from our masters.

Offline KingsX

I get so sick of the tax cut for the rich mantra.

A mantra billionaire Trump and his rich Wall Street and GOP cohorts have brought to fruition.

Offline KingsX

So you think the Soviet Union was better?  I don't.

I hate Bolsheviks who destroyed Christian Russia. Their descendants have continued destroying Russia and the world.

But think carefully about what I posted.  Those same "Russian" oligarch billionaires [many of them are not ethnically Russian]  have now branched out from the former Soviet Union and now own and control many Western companies.  Many of them rub shoulders with Trump.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not to be a nit picker, but is the typical US family earning $100,000?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline KingsX

Not to be a nit picker, but is the typical US family earning $100,000?

I've never come near anything close to a $100,000 income
and I was able to save money and retire early.  But I live in
a less expensive part of the country [not a blue state.]

Offline Concerned

Offline RoosGirl

Wow!  What an overhaul!  I'm so overwhelmed.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

A mantra billionaire Trump and his rich Wall Street and GOP cohorts have brought to fruition.

No it isn't.  You are so FOS your eyes are brown.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

No it isn't.  You are so FOS your eyes are brown.

How adult of you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Yeah, but "tax cuts for the people who actually pay most of the taxes" just doesn't roll off the tongue. 

I'll never understand why someone who pays more than I do today, and will continue to do so after a tax cut, is getting some sort of special deal that needs to be eliminated.  When I'm ready to start paying as much as you do I'll have earned the right to discuss your "fair share".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, but "tax cuts for the people who actually pay most of the taxes" just doesn't roll off the tongue. 

I'll never understand why someone who pays more than I do today, and will continue to do so after a tax cut, is getting some sort of special deal that needs to be eliminated.  When I'm ready to start paying as much as you do I'll have earned the right to discuss your "fair share".
During the boom I was making between 200K and 250K a year, which is pretty good, but being self employed, meant I ended up putting close to half a million in the Obama Administration's coffers even as they were removing my health insurance and fighting the oil industry tooth and nail. Those were good years, but I want my money back. (I know, we can all dream). It just seems every time they monkey with the tax code, my end of the stick gets nastier.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis