Author Topic: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”  (Read 11812 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2017, 08:22:19 pm »
Except ... but wait .. first I must avow that I was never a Trump supporter and I can prove it.  I shall preface every statement I make with that fact.

Except that, for the most part, every action Trump has taken so far has been in line with his campaign promises.

Lady!  It has been said over and over again, and proved to you in one instance, that *most* of us say it when he does good.  Ho Lee ***!  SSDD with this nonsense.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2017, 08:30:37 pm »
Except that, for the most part, every action Trump has taken so far has been in line with his campaign promises.

No offense meant @Emjay ... Perhaps iIn your zeal to be positive, you have donned rose-colored glasses... Because other than some really low-hanging fruit in the form of Executive Orders, and the possible gain made in the form of Gorsuch in SCOTUS (not yet proven), I see nothing to build that claim upon.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
No offense meant @Emjay ... Perhaps iIn your zeal to be positive, you have donned rose-colored glasses... Because other than some really low-hanging fruit in the form of Executive Orders, and the possible gain made in the form of Gorsuch in SCOTUS (not yet proven), I see nothing to build that claim upon.

Thank you, Roamer.  I mean that.   

You may be right.  I may need to put on some shades.  I just can't help but hope that Trump will do some good as President and I'm not ready to abandon that hope just yet.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2017, 09:25:10 pm »
Except ... but wait .. first I must avow that I was never a Trump supporter and I can prove it.  I shall preface every statement I make with that fact.

Em, it is not so much the actions we decry, as the inaction.
No prosecution of Hillary.
No repeal of ACA.
DACA is still with us.
We aren't out of Paris yet.
No NEW wall funding not already covered when he arrived (just O legacy funding to repair existing wall).
There are some good things which have been done, a few good appointments, and hopefully adecent SCOTUS judge (time will tell, and it always takes time with those).

But there has been a lot of arm waving and bluster and a conspicuous deal with the Dems, and it all leads to future uncertainty, not confidence. Usually at this point, whether we like it or not, we can pretty much predict which way things are going, but not so this time.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:09 pm »
In addition, withdrawal from the Paris Accord is far from a done deal. Even as Trump was tweeting about getting out, Tillerson was moving in the other direction. So what we're seeing and what's being said just are not flanging up.

@Smokin Joe

Trump's White House is too chaotic to get the stories straight.

Silver Pines

« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:20 pm »
I am not a Trump supporter and never have been in.  I have the credentials to prove it ... a certificate of dismissal from TOS, along with a variety of insults that would not be allowed here (thanks Mystery)

I've been trying to make a couple of points.

One is that we've been dissing the media for weeks so why are we so ready to believe them now.

Two is that, whatever one thinks of Trump, he'll be President for a while so we are better off if he doesn't veer from his stated aims and goals..

The left is floating a rumor through a willing and delighted media that Trump is backing off from refusing to support the Paris agreement.  That has been refuted.

Here are some things I'm glad Trump was doing at one time.  Getting rid of DACA, trying to stop illegal immigration and getting out of the Paris agreement.

Because I live in and love America,  I am hoping that Trump will continue to support those goals.

That does not mean I am a Trump lover. 

Why do people keep saying that?  Cognitive dissonance or plain blatant ignorance and prejudice.

@Emjay

Here's the thing.  I understand wanting Trump to do well and to keep his campaign promises.  But the evidence keeps rolling out that he's doing the opposite.  Wanting and hoping and dreaming can't influence reality. Your tendency is to scold everyone who won't go along with "wishing will make it true."

Offline Concerned

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2017, 11:08:29 pm »
@Emjay

Here's the thing.  I understand wanting Trump to do well and to keep his campaign promises.  But the evidence keeps rolling out that he's doing the opposite.  Wanting and hoping and dreaming can't influence reality. Your tendency is to scold everyone who won't go along with "wishing will make it true."

Exactly right @CatherineofAragon.  Sure, Trump's done some of the things he's promised (e.g., SCOTUS and deregulation), but, on many of his campaign promises he's nowhere, abandoning them, or has no path forward to actually make them happen.  These include such signature items as "lock her up"; Mexico paying for the wall; "drain the swamp"; and naming China a currency manipulator.  When these are brought up, Trump defenders here do indeed seem to "scold" people for simply seeing the world as it is rather than the way Trump promised us it would be.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2017, 12:54:42 am »
Exactly right @CatherineofAragon.  Sure, Trump's done some of the things he's promised (e.g., SCOTUS and deregulation), but, on many of his campaign promises he's nowhere, abandoning them, or has no path forward to actually make them happen.  These include such signature items as "lock her up"; Mexico paying for the wall; "drain the swamp"; and naming China a currency manipulator.  When these are brought up, Trump defenders here do indeed seem to "scold" people for simply seeing the world as it is rather than the way Trump promised us it would be.

I am not a Trump defender exactly.  I am a Trump hoper and I'm not ready to give up hope yet.

If I've scolded you or anyone, I'm sorry.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:42 am »
No offense meant @Emjay ... Perhaps In your zeal to be positive, you have donned rose-colored glasses... Because other than some really low-hanging fruit in the form of Executive Orders, and the possible gain made in the form of Gorsuch in SCOTUS (not yet proven), I see nothing to build that claim upon.

Thank you, Roamer.  I mean that.   

You may be right.  I may need to put on some shades.  I just can't help but hope that Trump will do some good as President and I'm not ready to abandon that hope just yet.

That was the nicest exchange I've seen on this thread.  Can we get back to condemning each other as monsters?  I want to feel superior.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:05:21 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2017, 01:03:06 am »
That was the nicest exchange I've seen on this thread.  Can we get back to condemning each other as monsters?  I want to feel superior.

LOL.  You probably won't have to wait long.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2017, 01:06:37 am »
I am not a Trump defender exactly.  I am a Trump hoper and I'm not ready to give up hope yet.

That is nice Emjay.  I think we all want to hope.  Not looking good though.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2017, 01:14:19 am »

Thank you @Emjay but no apology needed to me.   Trump hoper, Trump defender, Trumper supporter whatever folks want to call themselves doesn’t really matter to me and isn’t really germane to my point.  My point is folks are, of course, welcome to be hopeful, but I’m afraid they are minimizing Trump’s lack of progress on many of his signature promises (e.g., "lock her up"; Mexico paying for the wall; "drain the swamp"; and naming China a currency manipulator).   Couple that with this past week’s shenanigans with Pelosi and Schumer and his conflicting messages on DACA, there’s not much evidence that would led me to believe it’s realistic to “hope” Trump is going to be the conservative President to truly Make America Great Again by executing on his promises.  JMO.  If others have seen such evidence, particularly over the past couple of weeks, “hopefully” they’ll share it with the rest of us because I’m just not seeing it. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline corbe

« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:20 am »
   I always pictured @Emjay as looking like this when she see's a post from a NeverTrumper (whatever that is) like me.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:17:17 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:30 am »
LOL.  You probably won't have to wait long.

Maybe we can put it off for one more post, so I can thank you for voicing your hopes for President Trump.  I am less hopeful...actually despondent would be an accurate assessment, but I enjoy your take on the issues of the day, and I don't think you scold people.  I read a lot more than I have time to comment on, and I think you're smart, witty, insightful, even tempered, and prolific.  I also think you have a good heart.  This forum is lucky to have you.

Of course I also think that about a lot of the posters who argue with you...so what do I know?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:30:03 am by Once-Ler »

Silver Pines

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:29 am »
Trump is asking his supporters for money so the wall can be built...

https://secure.donaldjtrump.com/let-me-be-clear/?utm_source=ta&utm_medium=sms&utm_campaign=20170915__let-me-be-clear_djt_djt&utm_content=djt_direct-ask&amount=100

LOL what are the chances the wall would be built even if enough gullible morons donated to build it?

Offline corbe

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2017, 01:42:35 am »
   How very crass, asking for $$$ from his supporters to build a wall he kept promising them~Mexico was gonna pay for.       Some will 'pony up' but I think a few more of his base just threw their MAGA hats into a fire with this recent solicitation, because most of us have already paid.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:22 am »
   How very crass, asking for $$$ from his supporters to build a wall he kept promising them~Mexico was gonna pay for.       Some will 'pony up' but I think a few more of his base just threw their MAGA hats into a fire with this recent solicitation, because most of us have already paid.

Maybe he's been talking to JR? :whistle:

Offline DB

Offline corbe

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2017, 02:13:01 am »
      This guy still has a lot of pull south of the border.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:13:48 am by corbe »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2017, 02:30:20 am »
Is he only asking "Mexican" supporters for money?

From the Dreamers in exchange for amnesty!

Online Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2017, 02:43:26 am »
From the Dreamers in exchange for amnesty!

At least the NY AG (who he had donated to in the past) shut his Foundation down so he can't exactly launder the money through that, same Guy that let the Clinton Foundation continue, all that money he's donated to NY Politicians hasn't paid off as much as he'd hoped, I would think, politically.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2017, 02:43:39 am »
LOL what are the chances the wall would be built even if enough gullible morons donated to build it?
Nah. The question is one of who would get the kickbacks, bribes, and contracts...

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2017, 03:27:56 am »
Maybe we can put it off for one more post, so I can thank you for voicing your hopes for President Trump.  I am less hopeful...actually despondent would be an accurate assessment, but I enjoy your take on the issues of the day, and I don't think you scold people.  I read a lot more than I have time to comment on, and I think you're smart, witty, insightful, even tempered, and prolific.  I also think you have a good heart.  This forum is lucky to have you.

Of course I also think that about a lot of the posters who argue with you...so what do I know?

Thank you, Once-Ler, that means a lot.  I absolutely don't mind people who argue with me as long as they remain civil.  That's what this forum is about.