Author Topic: Church choir sings 'Make America Great Again' song to Trump  (Read 11113 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Church choir sings 'Make America Great Again' song to Trump
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »
I thought Robert Jeffress was an overwrought kook the first time I heard him open his mouth, on Fox News way before Trump.

And I don't think this kind of thing has any business going on in a church.  I never have.  It's putting country on a level with God.  If you want to sing patriotic songs, sing them outside of God's house.

@CatherineofAragon

I don't mind politicking from the pulpit. But it better be true to the Word. Used to be preachers were on fire politically as voting day came close, expounding that Christians should unequivocally vote for pro-life candidates. Seldom did I hear a single candidate named, but the principles they stood for (or didn't) were roundly preached upon.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2017, 11:12:53 pm »

You must be vewy, vewy tired to have to Schtupp to posting memes as a weply.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:14:45 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online libertybele

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2017, 11:14:00 pm »
Back on topic:  Church Choir Sings "Make America Great Again"  - I think it's a catchy little tune; it's kind of growing on me. Once again -- with lyrics -- although I prefer the choir:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXS2446R6S8

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:11 pm »
I thought Robert Jeffress was an overwrought kook the first time I heard him open his mouth, on Fox News way before Trump.

And I don't think this kind of thing has any business going on in a church.  I never have.  It's putting country on a level with God.  If you want to sing patriotic songs, sing them outside of God's house.
In all fairness, they were performing at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in DC. Hardly a god, except to some Democrats, and iirc, it isn't a church. I saw Macbeth there in the 70s when the joint was fairly new. .
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:21 pm »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2017, 11:18:44 pm »
I people aren't chasing cheese dropped in the maze by Trump and his team, they are chasing cheese somewhere else of their own picking.

"One Pill  Makes You Larger......"

"Four Dead in Ohio"

"Imagine..."

In church,, not in church. What difference does it make?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2017, 11:20:38 pm »
I'm going to store that one away for future use, lol.

Sorry, but you'll get no opportunity from me @CatherineofAragon

:seeya:

Online libertybele

« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2017, 11:21:13 pm »
On another note .... Melania Trump moved to tears ... the person singing "How Great Thou Art" is blind!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqV2nT6tXk

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:39 pm »
You must be vewy, vewy tired to have to Schtupp to posting memes as a weply.

Looks like you would know @INVAR    :silly:

Thanks ... this has been fun.  But, I'm off to dinner so you'll have to carry on without me.  Buck up!   :thud:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2017, 11:31:39 pm »
   With all due respect @Emjay I'm sorry you feel that way, there are extremes on each end of the Trump spectrum here and it does make for lively, passionate debate more times than not and that my wonderful friend is why some of us get upset when we perceive that our little home or the people in it are being disparaged or maligned.  Thank You for being here.

Yes, I'm glad of that because how could we argue if there's no one to argue with.  And I do like to argue.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online libertybele

« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2017, 11:35:48 pm »
Good Grief... and here I thought hearing "How Great Thou Art" by a blind youngster, would stop all the bickering!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2017, 11:36:44 pm »
Hey! @corbe. WTH? I get cornered at work into doing some work and look what happens to the thread.
*heavy sigh*

Screw it. You people deserve this.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/make-america-great-again-song-trump-church-choir-copyrighted-jeffress-190531/

Jonathan Aigner, Director of Music Ministries in a PCUSA congregation, criticized the song.

"The problem is that it has been adopted by a significant portion of the evangelical church. It's their mantra, their creed, and their prayer, and they shout it out with nationalistic fervor," Aigner writes in a blog post on Patheos. "Pledging allegiance to God and to America in the same breath, melding together the kingdom of God and self, they pray a blasphemous prayer to a red, white, and blue Jesus."
[/b]

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:01 pm »
He was a great-grandfather of mine. Truly a stern Puritan.

"Hatevil Nutter had had enough. An elder in Puritan church in Dover, N.H., he objected to the way the three Quaker women “beset” Congregationalist minister John Reyner when he worshiped in public. He didn’t like the way they bedeviled the Puritan minister when he was at home. He believed their teachings were wrong and their methods pernicious.

For six weeks in 1662, the women had held meetings and services at various homes around town. The Quaker women, my 11th great grandfather cruelly reasoned, had the liberty to go elsewhere, but they failed to exercise that liberty. Instead, they tried to spread their beliefs in Dover, preaching against professional ministers, restrictions on individual conscience, and the established customs of church-ruled settlements. Something had to be done.

Nutter, who filled the pulpit on occasion, sprung into action. He helped to get Dover citizens to sign a petition “humbly craving relief against the spreading & the wicked errors of the Quakers among them.” According to a Quaker historian, Hatevil (pronounced just like you think, Hate Evil) stirred up crown magistrate Captain Richard Walderne to issue an order to the constables of surrounding jurisdictions.

A little background may be necessary. Many of the Puritans who settled in New England in the 1660s did not believe in a separate church and state. They fled Europe, in many cases, because they believed the Church of England had strayed from its basic principles. They refused to tolerate dissent.

Walderne’s order required the constables “in the King’s name” to take “these vagabond Quakers, Ann Coleman, Mary Tomkins, and Alice Ambrose,” tie them fast to a cart’s tail, and “whip their naked backs, not exceeding ten stripes apiece on each of the them, in each town; and so to convey them from constable to constable, till they are out of this jurisdiction.”

The medieval-style punishment was severe, even by Colonial standards. The order called for whippings in at least 11 towns. It would require travel over 80 miles in bitterly cold weather. The first stop was Dover, to which Nutter had come from England 30 years before. The women were seized on a frigid winter day by constables John and Thomas Roberts. George Bishop recorded the events:

“Deputy Waldrom caused these women to be stripped naked from the middle upwards, and tied to a cart, and after awhile cruelly whipped them, whilst the priest stood and looked and laughed at it.”

Hatevil thought it was a real laugh-riot as well, according to Sewell, another witness. “All this whipping of the Quaker women, by the Constables (in front of the meeting-house) was in the presence of one Hate-Evil Nutwell (Nutter), a Ruling Elder, who stirred up the Constables (John and Thomas Roberts) to this wicked action, and so proved that he bore a wrong name (Hate Evil).”

According to Sewell’s History of the Quakers, the women were carried next to Hampton, where the constable wanted to whip the women with their clothes on. But they said, “‘set us free, or do according to thine order.’ He then spoke to a woman to take off their clothes. But she said she would not for all the world. Why, said he, then I’ll do it myself…So he stripped them, and then stood trembling whip in hand, and so he did the execution.

“Then he carried them to Salisbury through the dirt and the snow half the leg deep; and here they were whipped again. Indeed, their bodies were so torn, that if Providence had not watched over them, they might have been in danger of their lives.”

Once the women got to Salisbury, one Walter Barefoot convinced the constable to swear him in as a deputy. He received the women and the warrant and put a stop to the persecution. Dr. Barefoot dressed their wounds and returned them to the Maine side of the Piscataqua River.

Barefoot had the support of the town’s people, who were guided by the influential Major Robert Pike, one of the leaders of the lower Merrimac valley. According to history books, Pike stood far in advance of his time. He advocated religious freedom and opposed ecclesiastical authority. He even courageously wrote to the court at Salem, objecting to the witchcraft trials.

The Old Quaker Meeting House in Dover

Eventually, much to Nutter’s chagrin, the Quaker women returned to Dover and established a church. More than a third of Dover’s citizens eventually became Quakers.

The Nutter connection to the Thompson family comes through Grandmother Marie (Meanie) Elise Kruttschnitt’s grandfather, Frederick Manthano Pickering (1862-1945), who was born in Portland, Me. Intrepid family genealogist Sue Wolfe discovered the connection several years ago and documented it with a set of papers more than an inch thick.

Sue discovered that Hatevil was born in 1598, probably in Harlington, Bedford, England, and came to the United States in the mid 1630s. According to the history of Dover, N.H., he did not arrive with the first wave of immigrants in 1633. He probably showed up a little later. Public records show that in 1637 he bought a lot from one Captain Thomas Wiggin. Over the years, he received various land grants from the town.

Hatevil was part owner of a sawmill at Lamprey River, and he owned a ship yard on the shore of the Fore River. He helped organize the First Church in November 1638 and served in various official capacities during his lifetime.

“His house stood on the east side of High Street, about 15 or 20 rods from the north corner of the meeting house-lot,” reads the history of Dover. “An old pear tree stands (1923) in the hollow, which was part of the cellar.”

Nutter was by no means alone in his hatred of Quakers. Laws were passed during his time imposing fines on the master of any vessel who brought a Quaker into the colony. Quakers who managed to set foot in the Colonies were supposed to be sent immediately to a house of correction, where they would receive 20 stripes and be confined to hard labor.

A later act levied a 40-shilling fine against anyone who harbored a Quaker for one hour. After the first conviction, the offender, if a man, would lose one ear; and upon the third conviction, the other ear. Offending women would be whipped each time. After four convictions, offenders–men and women alike–would have their tongue bored through with a hot iron.

Many Quakers came to America to escape religious persecution in Europe. They found it in new forms once they arrived."

https://thompsongenealogy.com/2011/04/hatevil-nutter-was-a-cruel-religious-hypocrite/

very interesting ts!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Silver Pines

« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2017, 11:54:25 pm »
In all fairness, they were performing at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in DC. Hardly a god, except to some Democrats, and iirc, it isn't a church. I saw Macbeth there in the 70s when the joint was fairly new. .

@Smokin Joe

I skimmed the article.  I missed that and assumed "Southern Baptist Church" was the location where it took place.  Still don't like it.

Silver Pines

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2017, 11:55:19 pm »
Sorry, but you'll get no opportunity from me @CatherineofAragon

:seeya:

@Right_in_Virginia

No, I'm going to use it in real life, lol.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:41 pm »
very interesting ts!

During my studies of genealogy, I have read quite a lot, about expressions of religious animosity in our country.

Another relative (although not direct-would be uncle or cousin?) was Rev. Elijah Parish Lovejoy. He was murdered in 1837, in Albion Illinois, for his abolitionism and his use of the free press.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_Parish_Lovejoy

Online roamer_1

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2017, 11:57:42 pm »

It doesn't matter where they performed, as long as they performed as the '1st Baptist Choir'.
They represent a church.

Offline corbe

« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2017, 12:22:06 am »
Hey! @corbe. WTH? I get cornered at work into doing some work and look what happens to the thread.
*heavy sigh*

Screw it. You people deserve this.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/make-america-great-again-song-trump-church-choir-copyrighted-jeffress-190531/

Jonathan Aigner, Director of Music Ministries in a PCUSA congregation, criticized the song.

"The problem is that it has been adopted by a significant portion of the evangelical church. It's their mantra, their creed, and their prayer, and they shout it out with nationalistic fervor," Aigner writes in a blog post on Patheos. "Pledging allegiance to God and to America in the same breath, melding together the kingdom of God and self, they pray a blasphemous prayer to a red, white, and blue Jesus."
[/b]

It wasn't ME @bigheadfred I'm only one man, that knows better than to argue with woman intuition (whatever that is) and in all fairness I even deleted one of my rather incendiary post before the mods asked me to.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:22:57 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2017, 12:33:00 am »
I was raised LDS. My family is all LDS.  WE HATE EVERYBODY. Get used to it.

The problem with people is the rigidity in their thinking. I don't mean stick in the mud type thinking. I mean dead bodies petrified to stone thinking. I get that way sometimes. But if I stop myself long enough to listen I can hear that scritch ScRiTcH Scritch of calcified thoughts scraping across my brain pan. That is a bad sound people.

Hey! Did you know if you go back 10 generations it took 1,022 people to come up with YOU? A person gets some dna from dads side. Some from moms side.  Like a V. In that 1,022 people that forms that V there is ahelluva lot of room for error.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2017, 12:43:41 am »
   It wasn't ME @bigheadfred I'm only one man, that knows better than to argue with woman intuition (whatever that is) and in all fairness I even deleted one of my rather incendiary post before the mods asked me to.

I thought we all knew that woman in tuition is the price we pay to be around them.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:23 am »
I was raised LDS. My family is all LDS.  WE HATE EVERYBODY. Get used to it.

The problem with people is the rigidity in their thinking. I don't mean stick in the mud type thinking. I mean dead bodies petrified to stone thinking. I get that way sometimes. But if I stop myself long enough to listen I can hear that scritch ScRiTcH Scritch of calcified thoughts scraping across my brain pan. That is a bad sound people.

Hey! Did you know if you go back 10 generations it took 1,022 people to come up with YOU? A person gets some dna from dads side. Some from moms side.  Like a V. In that 1,022 people that forms that V there is ahelluva lot of room for error.

My paternal grandmother was LDS. Father raised as such, until he met and married my mother. I have lotsa genealogy, and the LDS side is way cool about the settlement of the American West, religious doctrines aside.

Recently proved connection to Butch Cassidy & Sundance Gang. via Ancestry, and an X-Mormon relative just discovered.

Two or three generations and it get closed to 4,000, 8,000, 16,000 I believe.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2017, 01:29:28 am »
My paternal grandmother was LDS. Father raised as such, until he met and married my mother. I have lotsa genealogy, and the LDS side is way cool about the settlement of the American West, religious doctrines aside.

Recently proved connection to Butch Cassidy & Sundance Gang. via Ancestry, and an X-Mormon relative just discovered.

Two or three generations and it get closed to 4,000, 8,000, 16,000 I believe.

What a coincidence. My family has some connections to Butch Cassidy & Sundance Gang, too. Mostly through Wanted posters.

My dad loved to go down to SLC and do genealogy research. They have tons of info down there. He paid a researcher in England to some some work. And my parents went to England to do some research. My mom really wanted to find the grave of a several greats grandmother. Mom has several items from her handed down.Their researcher pinpointed the cemetary. They spent a day looking with no luck and went to do other things. Before they left the country my mom wanted one more quick try. My dad said he took a big swing around the place and randomly stopped at a grave. He had to scrape the moss away to see the name of who was buried there. It was her. My mom was so happy. My dad was a little freaked out.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2017, 02:15:28 am »
Whatever pros and cons there are about the LDS Church, all genealogists owe them a debt of thanks because of their great work in genealogy.  I've spent a lot of time at their library.

I was told that they did all that ancestry work because they believed that they could pray for some ancestor they found and keep that dear soul from Hell.

Well, it couldn't hurt.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2017, 02:29:10 am »
Whatever pros and cons there are about the LDS Church, all genealogists owe them a debt of thanks because of their great work in genealogy.  I've spent a lot of time at their library.

I was told that they did all that ancestry work because they believed that they could pray for some ancestor they found and keep that dear soul from Hell.

Well, it couldn't hurt.

The way that works is the LDS perform baptisms for the dead. It is presented to the dead person as a gift. The dead person can choose whether to recieve that gift or not.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:35 am »
On another note .... Melania Trump moved to tears ... the person singing "How Great Thou Art" is blind!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqV2nT6tXk

Thanks for that.  One of my very favorite hymns.  It was sung at my husband's funeral.