Author Topic: Trump tells GOP to take it or leave it on ObamaCare repeal [vote Friday]  (Read 18855 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump tells GOP to take it or leave it on ObamaCare repeal
By Scott Wong - 03/23/17 07:50 PM EDT

President Trump warned House Republicans on Thursday that he will leave ObamaCare in place unless they approve legislation to repeal and replace it.

Trump officials meeting with the House GOP conference said Trump is done negotiating over the legislation, which was to come up for a vote Thursday but was delayed.

Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, a former member of the House Freedom Caucus that has been negotiating with Trump, told the GOP conference that Trump wants a vote on Friday during a dramatic closed-door meeting, according to a GOP source in the room.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/325568-trump-tells-gop-to-take-it-or-leave-it-on-obamacare-repeal
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

We all want it repealed but there will never be a vote to do that under Ryan, McConnell and Trump

Offline Frank Cannon

President Trump warned House Republicans on Thursday that he will leave ObamaCare in place unless they approve legislation to repeal and replace it.

Note to Donny: You said you could get shit done in DC and one of those things was getting rid of Obamacare. Leaving it in place will pretty much show you are incompetent and should be replace in 4 years. Have a great day.

Offline skeeter

Well wouldn't that suit the GOP just fine. They get to keep their new totalitarian healthcare insurance bureaucracy AND they get to blame Trump the 'outsider' for its continued presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Note to Donny: You said you could get shit done in DC and one of those things was getting rid of Obamacare. Leaving it in place will pretty much show you are incompetent and should be replace in 4 years. Have a great day.

Well, there may be replacements over this ... but the jury is still out whether this will occur in 2 years rather than 4.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:45:50 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline montanajoe

Sure sounds like a principled Conservative welling to go to the mat for his beliefs... :silly:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I think he's just shooting off his mouth here ... he knows that much of his credibility hangs on this and a few other main promises.  He's just ticked because people aren't minding him.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think he's just shooting off his mouth here ... he knows that much of his credibility hangs on this and a few other main promises.  He's just ticked because people aren't minding him.

Something will be put on his desk within the next couple of months.  We will have to wait and see what that is and hold those responsible to account.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak

I think it will pass as the Freedom Caucus now has an amendment that is approved to add.  That should get their votes.

Well wouldn't that suit the GOP just fine. They get to keep their new totalitarian healthcare insurance bureaucracy AND they get to blame Trump the 'outsider' for its continued presence.

If anything, this little drama just proves how unserious the GOP has been about repealing Obamacare .... or even changing it. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:40:02 am by Right_in_Virginia »

geronl

@mystery-ak

I think it will pass as the Freedom Caucus now has an amendment that is approved to add.  That should get their votes.

When did they pass an amendment?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I think he doesn't realize he is not their boss. They don't need his instruction, direction, or orders to do their jobs.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
If anything, this little drama just proves how unserious the GOP has been about repealing Obamacare .... or even changing it. 

The lobbyists and deep pockets (can we say Koch Brothers) win again (at least for now).

The Koch Brothers have put their money behind the full repeal and oppose RINO/Trump/RyanCare (whatever it is named today). They are standing with the Conservatives on this.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Koch Brothers have put their money behind the full repeal and oppose RINO/Trump/RyanCare (whatever it is named today). They are standing with the Conservatives on this.

Thank God for the Koch brothers!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think he doesn't realize he is not their boss. They don't need his instruction, direction, or orders to do their jobs.
Maybe not. I wonder what it takes to provoke that bunch of laggards into action (besides a Dem majority--that seems like the only time any thing gets done).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

You're right .. I had that backwards.  Thanks!  @AbaraXas

Offline Victoria33

When did they pass an amendment?
@geronl

It isn't passed just as the bill isn't passed, but approved to be added to the bill, negotiated with Trump's people at this last meeting this evening. 

geronl

@geronl

It isn't passed just as the bill isn't passed, but approved to be added to the bill, negotiated with Trump's people at this last meeting this evening.

That is not how bills and amendments work. That's shady back-room politics.

Offline Victoria33

@geronl

Nothing works like it used to with Trump at the wheel.  Ryan will get it straightened out tomorrow.  Likely this amendment will be voted on when they bring up the bill tomorrow.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Anyone who would trust "Trump's people" on this is a fool.

This kind of crap is what led Ted Cruz to call Mitch McConnell a liar in the first place.

Offline corbe

The original obummercare was negotiated behind 'Locked Doors' in the Senate, so were making progress.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:03:09 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Nope.  You've got it ass-backwards.   This is a brilliant move by Trump.  He's telling the GOP to take it or leave it.   Get unified and pass your leadership's bill,  or I'm moving on to other priorities.   

Trump is not going to get blamed for this, the GOP will be.  Conservatives will be.  Trump's message,  the core of his populist appeal, is that he'll knock heads to get things done.  That's what he's doing.   And if the "Freedom Caucus" does its vainglorious thing,  then Trump will just say sod it and move on.   

The GOP and Donald Trump is a marriage of convenience.   If conservative nihilists give Trump shit,  he'll screw them and I for one won't blame him a bit. 

The damn Freedom Caucus ought to understand that Trump wants results not posturing.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

geronl

He's telling the GOP to take it or leave it.   Get unified and pass your leadership's bill,  or I'm moving on to other priorities.   

and Congress can start a real repeal effort without his crappy input

Offline corbe

Nope.  You've got it ass-backwards.   This is a brilliant move by Trump.  He's telling the GOP to take it or leave it.   Get unified and pass your leadership's bill,  or I'm moving on to other priorities.   

Trump is not going to get blamed for this, the GOP will be.  Conservatives will be.  Trump's message,  the core of his populist appeal, is that he'll knock heads to get things done.  That's what he's doing.   And if the "Freedom Caucus" does its vainglorious thing,  then Trump will just say sod it and move on.   

The GOP and Donald Trump is a marriage of convenience.   If conservative nihilists give Trump shit,  he'll screw them and I for one won't blame him a bit. 

The damn Freedom Caucus ought to understand that Trump wants results not posturing.   

@Jazzhead, seems your stuck in that 6 dimensional chess thing, There's some evidence that suggests Trump, Reince and Bannon forced Ryan into this clusterfk to begin with and this is gonna be on life support until the few stalwarths in the Senate fix it, if it even gets out of the house.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Silver Pines

@Jazzhead

To hell with what Trump wants.  The issue is what the American people want, and 83% don't want this garbage bill.

Look on the bright side--- we're probably going to end up with single payer at some point, so you really have something to look forward to!