Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95577 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #900 on: September 13, 2017, 01:16:06 am »
This is cool.  I'm holding a baseball signed by Dan Larson (WSPG 10-8-56) and Yogi Berra.

We have another one, "It ain't over till it's over" Yogi Berra.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #901 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:16 am »
@Slip18
Here's a treat for you, and yes you can download it for your own collection!

Lindsey Nelson, Bob Murphy, and Ralph Kiner call the very first regular season game of the New York Mets, 11 April 1962, against the St. Louis Cardinals in Sportsman's Park

And . . .

New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox, 2 October 1949, with the American League pennant on the line . . . and Mel Allen behind the mike.

@EasyAce 

I thank you with all my heart for those!  I don't know about @cyberliberty, though because I have no idea of how to copy anything.  Nil.  Zip.  Nada!

I got lost on another thread.  They were very nice to me, too!

Oh, and I love your tile, too!  That is awesome!

Got all my just too cool balls.  Now nothing else is coming. :hard crying:

But that is okay.  I get to look at these and touch them and put them into their little mahogany cases.  I cannot find a case for the two mitts, though.  I am sure if I left them hanging, the kitties and cats would eat the strings!  @Freya
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #902 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:23 pm »
Indians win their 21st straight, setting a new AL Record.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #903 on: September 13, 2017, 07:27:06 pm »
Indians win their 21st straight, setting a new AL Record.

Wow! That is the one team that, as an Astros fan, scares me the most, going into the post season.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #904 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:06 pm »
Wow! That is the one team that, as an Astros fan, scares me the most, going into the post season.

Both of us!  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #905 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
Both of us!  888high58888
They gotta cool off at some point.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #906 on: September 15, 2017, 02:39:31 am »
The Indians have done it!!!! 22 Wins in a row, a new MLB Record.

I don't consider the Giants 26 game streak valid, since they had a tie in the middle of it.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #907 on: September 21, 2017, 09:20:13 pm »
The Indians have done it!!!! 22 Wins in a row, a new MLB Record.

I don't consider the Giants 26 game streak valid, since they had a tie in the middle of it.

How many years ago did the Giants have that tie game?  Were they in New York then?

We have an evening off of ⚾.  Towards the end of the season, I am as tired as the players!  My eyeballs are killing me! :yawn1:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #908 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:12 pm »
How many years ago did the Giants have that tie game?  Were they in New York then?

@Slip18

1916. Their last year in NY was 1957.

The Giants had been planning a move to Minnesota but Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley wanted to move his team to Los Angeles. The National League would not allow the Dodgers to move alone. It would not be logistically feasible for only one team to move to the West Coast. O'Malley was able to talk Giants owner Horace Stoneham into moving his team to San Francisco. The NL then authorized the move. This also allowed the Dodgers and Giants to retain their longtime rivalry.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:31:16 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #909 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:23 pm »
@Slip18

The Giants had been planning a move to Minnesota but Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley wanted to move his team to Los Angeles. The National League would not allow the Dodgers to move alone. It would not be logistically feasible for only one team to move to the West Coast. O'Malley was able to talk Giants owner Horace Stoneham into moving his team to San Francisco. The NL then authorized the move. This also allowed the Dodgers and Giants to retain their longtime rivalry.
@Machiavelli
@Slip18

Until O'Malley approached Stoneham with the proposal to move to California, Stoneham was planning to move
the Giants to Minneapolis---they had the major league territorial rights there because of their Millers farm
team. Stoneham needed a new ballpark even more than O'Malley did, but he lacked O'Malley's finances to
build a park on his own. And since Minneapolis had already built Metropolitan Stadium, in which the Millers
played, with an eye toward luring a major league team, Stoneham's ballpark problem was solvable in
a blink.

One of the great mysteries of the time, in my opinion, is this:

New York's planning and building czar (for city and state alike), Robert Moses, was hell bent for leather to
build a multipurpose stadium in Flushing, in Queens, adjacent to La Guardia Airport and the World's Fair
grounds. He was likewise hell bent on making sure nobody in New York could build and operate a
sports facility on his own, privately, so long as he, Moses, had anything to say about it, and New York's
mouselike politicians weren't inclined to challenge him. (For @Slip18 and anyone else who doesn't know:
the facility Moses wanted to build is what eventually became Shea Stadium.)

That said, and knowing that Walter O'Malley was equally hell bent on not playing in Queens (he once
said, famously, "If we play in Queens, we won't be the Brooklyn Dodgers anymore"), the big question
becomes why on earth did Moses not even think of offering the Giants the chance to play in
that ballpark?
The Giants didn't have the Dodgers' borough identification; they weren't the Manhattan
Giants or the Harlem Giants. Horace Stoneham wouldn't have had reason to say, "If we play in Queens,
we're not the New York Giants anymore."

Had Moses offered the Giants the Flushing multipurpose stadium, it might have changed everything,
even if Moses concurrently did everything in his power to stop O'Malley from building his own new
ballpark in Brooklyn. If the Giants accepted any offer to play in the new Flushing park, they could
have held on and gritted it out in the Polo Grounds (as the Mets eventually did, playing their first
two seasons in the rambling wreck) until Shea Stadium was ready to open in 1964. It might have
forced Moses' hand regarding the Dodger situation---not to mention exposing him as a hypocrite,
never mind that one of New York's worst kept secret in those years was Moses' hypocrisy.

You wonder whether Moses knew all that and played his hand accordingly. But let the record
remind you that one Giants' stockholder voted against the team leaving New York: Joan Payson,
by way of her proxy voted by her chief financial officer M. Donald Grant.

After the Giants and the Dodgers left, New York's then-mayor Robert Wagner proposed forming
a group that might entice a National League team to move to New York. A couple of years earlier,
the original Pacific Coast League, considered the equal in performance of a major league, had
its hopes of being sanctioned as an actual major league shot down.

The leader of the New York group was a corporate lawyer named William Shea. Shea's first move
was to approach the Cincinnati Reds, whose owner Powell Crosley (he who also made a small
fortune making radios and large appliances) was tempted to make the move but ultimately said no,
partly because then-National League president Ford Frick spoke loud enough about league
stability after the moves of the Braves, the Philadelphia Athletics, the St. Louis Browns, the
Dodgers, and the Giants.

Shea's next move was to bring former Cardinals/Dodgers/Pirates president Branch Rickey and
Mrs. Payson aboard as two of the prospective owners in a third major league, the Continental
League. The new league proposed to play in New York, Houston, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver,
Dallas, Toronto, and Buffalo. Rickey was named the president of the new league; the franchise
owners included Mrs. Payson in New York, future Big Red Machine builder Bob Howsam in
Denver, and future Los Angeles Rams owner Jack Kent Cooke in Toronto.

Shea also went to Sen. Estes Kefauver and convinced him to open hearings into baseball's
anti-trust exemption. (These were the hearings where Casey Stengel absolutely flummoxed
the senators, and Mickey Mantle followed him and answered his first question with, "My views
are just about the same as Casey's.") The prospect of losing its anti-trust exemption shook
baseball even more than the Continental League, but combined they did exactly what Shea
hoped for: they brought major league baseball back to New York when baseball agreed
to expand both leagues. The National League got franchises in New York and Houston; Mrs.
Payson, of course, was awarded the New York franchise---the Mets.

The kicker: The American League planned to expand to Los Angeles and Minneapolis, but
the Washington Senators threw a monkey wrench into the plan by moving to Minneapolis
to become the Twins. The AL had to agree to put a new franchise in Washington, which
played as the Senators until 1971 before becoming the Texas Rangers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #910 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:59 am »
@Slip18

@Machiavelli @EasyAce

You two are way over my head!  Just wow!

I do have a question because I and, of course, @Cyber Liberty , have a chance to get some really, really cool stuff.  I have not been told any prices yet, but if you could possibly guide this collector who is not selling anything on what to buy.  I have gone over budget already, but I think I can squeeze more $ if you think some of these things will be too fine to pass on.

Here is the list: Cy Young, Stan Musial, Honus Wagner, Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Gibson, Tony Gwynn, Henderson, and Roger Hornsby.  There are a few home plates, too, that I can get at a great price.  Everything is signed and authenticated.

My first choice would be, of course, Cy Young.  Second would be Tony Gwynn because I really loved that guy.  And wouldn't a signed home plate (who signs those?) would be just too cool on the Sports Room door in our home.

"Come on into Home Plate!"  LOL!

My nephew has a vote in for Stan the Man.  I do not know who he is!

Could anyone give me an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #911 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:56 am »
@Machiavelli @EasyAce

@Slip18

@EasyAce is the only real expert here, and we are fortunate to have him. Me? I'm just a trivia freak.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #912 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:32 am »
@Machiavelli @EasyAce

Thanks in advance!
@Slip18
Hint:

In the 1970s/early 1980s was a relief pitcher named Don Stanhouse, who was such a flake
that, when he was with the Orioles, fellow pitcher Mike Flanagan nicknamed him "Stan the
Man Unusual," in tribute to his dicey ways on the mound and flakiness off it . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #913 on: September 22, 2017, 12:50:41 am »

@Slip18

Stan the Man Musial was unbelievably great.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #914 on: September 22, 2017, 01:03:02 am »
@Slip18

@EasyAce is the only real expert here, and we are fortunate to have him. Me? I'm just a trivia freak.

@Machiavelli  @EasyAce

Sorry, you know a heck of a lot more in your little finger than I do in my whole body!  So there!

I just love to collect!  It is so special to feel a ball that someone touched 50-75 years ago!  I am in awe of the talent.

Thank you for all of the info up there about the Giants.  My nephew and I text constantly during the season.  He is a Giants fan.  I was a Cubbies, Dodgers, Pads and now D-Backs fan.  I do have respect for almost all players, especially the ones who give kids a chance in life to "belong" to something as clean as baseball.  I know about the things that are being said now, but that will pass.

So just why the heck is my Mark McGwire with the Pads?  Can't keep up.

I have an enormous collection of signed and unsigned cards.  I do not know how to put them in order.  So I am going to just alphabetize everyone.  About 2000 have not even been opened.  They are from 1990 and 1991.

I just need help! :wtf!:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #915 on: September 22, 2017, 01:09:43 am »
@EasyAce  @Machiavelli

Thank you!  That makes three!  Stan the Man it is!  I do have to find out what it is, i.e., ball, glove, jersey, bat.  I honestly don't know.

My friend is sending a surprise present to me/us.  He was in that Florida hurricane.  Sheesh!  What a mess!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #916 on: September 22, 2017, 02:45:09 am »
@Machiavelli @EasyAce

I do have a question because I and, of course, @Cyber Liberty , have a chance to get some really, really cool stuff.  I have not been told any prices yet, but if you could possibly guide this collector who is not selling anything on what to buy.  I have gone over budget already, but I think I can squeeze more $ if you think some of these things will be too fine to pass on.

Here is the list: Cy Young, Stan Musial, Honus Wagner, Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Gibson, Tony Gwynn, Henderson, and Roger Hornsby.  There are a few home plates, too, that I can get at a great price.  Everything is signed and authenticated.

My first choice would be, of course, Cy Young.  Second would be Tony Gwynn because I really loved that guy.  And wouldn't a signed home plate (who signs those?) would be just too cool on the Sports Room door in our home.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, @Slip18 !!  It's good to see you back -- I've missed you.
 :seeya:

I'm going to vote for "All of the above"!
 :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #917 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:02 am »
Hi, @Slip18 !!  It's good to see you back -- I've missed you.
 :seeya:

I'm going to vote for "All of the above"!
 :laugh:

@Polly Ticks

LOL!

We get one night off of ⚾, and what are we doing?  Watching the Cubbies/Brewers game! I am actually for both teams!  The manager for the Brewers is an exD-Back, and I like Rizzo and the Cubbies.  Cubbies need to win, too.  But, but Craig Counsel is just so sweet!

I just got so busy.  It happens sometimes.  Missed you, too! 8888crybaby

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #918 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:27 pm »
@Polly Ticks

LOL!

We get one night off of ⚾, and what are we doing?  Watching the Cubbies/Brewers game! I am actually for both teams!  The manager for the Brewers is an exD-Back, and I like Rizzo and the Cubbies.  Cubbies need to win, too.  But, but Craig Counsel is just so sweet!

I just got so busy.  It happens sometimes.  Missed you, too! 8888crybaby

I'm the same way ... when the Braves have an off-night, I watch whoever else is playing.  There's not that much baseball left this year, so we have to fit in as much as we can before the long winter dry spell!

Busy-ness definitely happens.  There's been quite of bit of that around my house too, lately.  I'll just look forward to seeing you whenever you happen to pop in!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #919 on: September 22, 2017, 01:54:29 pm »
In the 1970s/early 1980s was a relief pitcher named Don Stanhouse, who was such a flake
that, when he was with the Orioles, fellow pitcher Mike Flanagan nicknamed him "Stan the
Man Unusual," in tribute to his dicey ways on the mound and flakiness off it . . .

NOBODY out flaked this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSDo3BX5Ds

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #920 on: September 22, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »
@Slip18

Stanhouse's manager with the Orioles....Earl Weaver, referred to him as "Full Pack".

Seems he smoked an entire pack of cigarettes while Don Stanhouse would be doing his shtick between pitches/innings.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #921 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:30 pm »
NOBODY out flaked this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSDo3BX5Ds

Don't you be talkin' mean about The Bird (Yes, I know he was a flake, but he was our flake)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #922 on: September 22, 2017, 05:48:09 pm »
@Slip18

Stan the Man Musial was unbelievably great.

Weren't Stan Musial's hits evenly split  between batting right handed and left handed?
That stands out to me, for some reason.
It's been a while since I've looked up the stays on him.
I guess I could Google it, but that would be cheating..

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #923 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:06 pm »
Weren't Stan Musial's hits evenly split  between batting right handed and left handed?

Musial stats including salaries:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/musiast01.shtml

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #924 on: September 22, 2017, 07:44:11 pm »

He had the exact same number of hits home and away: 1815

Here are his career splits: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=musiast01&year=Career&t=b