Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95611 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #975 on: October 01, 2017, 05:37:47 pm »
Gonna be an Astros Dodgers series!  Sorry but thats how it is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #976 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:59 pm »
Gonna be an Astros Dodgers series!  Sorry but thats how it is!

Earl, my FRiend, you misspelled "Nationals".   

And, don't know if you've noticed but, the Red Sox have David Price as their own 'Andrew Miller'.

I'm rooting for the Astros, but I didn't like the defensive effort today on national television.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #977 on: October 01, 2017, 07:09:12 pm »
Gonna be an Indians Dodgers series!  Sorry but thats how it is!
Fixed it for you!

And all you other postseason entrants, you can just damn well wait one more year.

You, Cubs---you broke your bigtime drought big time last year.

You, Astros---you didn't look half as good in the second half as you did in the first,
and you haven't lived half as long, almost, without a World Series ring.

You, Dodgers---you who shot the lights out in the first half and turned into a house of cards
in the second, you with your six World Series rings in your franchise history, you think waiting
since 1988 is long enough? The Indians have waited twice that long.

You, Nationals---you who keep getting to the dance only to be unable to consummate the
card. I don't care if the nation's capital of organised crime's been waiting since Calvin Coolidge for
another World Series title, it'll mean a lot more if you hold out one more year, and, anyway,
even if you do get to the Series you're going to be breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the Indians.

You, Red Sox---you didn't just bust your actual or alleged curse in 2004 (and spectacularly,
while you were at it), you're one of the only two teams in this century to win three Series
in ten years or less. Surely you of all people know patience is a virtue. Besides, if you end
up playing the Indians for the pennant, remember this---David Price, you're no Andrew
Miller. (But you might have been the biggest ass in baseball for that stupidity you pulled
on Dennis Eckersley this year.)

You, Twins---how the hell did you sneak into the picture? Oh, yes, that impressive kid corps.
But they're still a little green behind the gills. And you're probably not going to push the
Yankees to one side come Tuesday's wild card game. Besides, you're the franchise who have
that one Washington World Series ring and a couple more in Minnesota since the Reagan
Administration. We don't have to tell you to wait your turn, the Yankees will probably do
that for us.

And you, Yankees, you with your forty pennants and 27 World Series rings, who died
and left you with that sense of entitlement? Besides, you might beat the Twins in the
wild card game but the Indians' bullpen is better than yours and you're liable not to get
out of the division series alive. Let Aaron (Here Come the) Judge hit all the home runs he
wants, he can't carry you all by his lonesome. (And neither can Luis Severino on the mound.)
If any team in baseball can wait 'till next year, it's you.

The whole damn lot of you can just hurry up and wait until next year or beyond. It's time
for the Indians to bust the curse of Frank Lane. (Yes, it's usually called the Curse of Rocky
Colavito, but Trader Lane was the damn fool who dealt Colavito to the Tigers for an aging
singles hitter because he didn't like Colavito being the clean-living type and because Colavito
called him out on his deceptions during contract talks.)

It's time for the Indians to exorcise the ghosts of Harvey Kuenn, Max Alvis (spinal meningitis
in 1964 turned a promising super third baseman into a merely average but useful one),
Sudden Sam McDowell (threw lamb chops past wolves until a) he decided he needed a
changeup, and b) let his insecurities drink him out of baseball), Tony Horton (his mental
collapse, possibly under self-imposed family pressures, put paid to a promising career for
the slugging first baseman), Ray Fosse (blasted by Pete Rose in an All-Star Game and never
became the great catcher he promised to be) Eckersley and Manning (they traded the wrong
guy when Manning turned up having an affair with Eckersley's first wife, and it wasn't Manning),
Super Joe Charboneau (his back put paid to his career the season after he was the Rookie
of the Year sensation), the 1987 Sports Illustrated cover, the 1995 Braves, the 1997
Marlins, Bartolo Colon, Cliff Lee, and Michael Martinez (the last out of last year's Series, with
the re-tying run on and two out in the tenth).

The rest of you lot can just hurry up and wait. Especially since, pending the outcome of
today's season finale against the White Sox, the Indians have all but forgotten how to lose.
Including that 22-game winning streak, the Tribe is 32-4 since 24 August. Oh, sure, they'll
have a few days off awaiting the wild card winner. They've earned the break. Want to know
how they did against the other AL division winners and the wild card boys this year?

Against the Astros: 5-1.
Against the Red Sox: 1-4. Note: the win is the one that started that insane in the brain
winning streak.
Against the Yankees: 4-2.
Against the Twins: 10-7.
Overall against the other postseason teams: 20-14.

This year, I'd like to see the Indians go all the way; the Red Sox may yet to prove a mere
hiccup or two if they square off in the League Championship Series. And wouldn't it
be poetic if the Indians knock off the Red Sox to get to the Series managed by the guy
who managed the Red Sox to their cursebuster?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:11:53 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #978 on: October 01, 2017, 07:15:51 pm »
You haven't said much about the end game for NL...the side that still plays real Baseball, that requires Pitchers to at least TRY to swing a bat.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #979 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:05 pm »
You haven't said much about the end game for NL...the side that still plays real Baseball, that requires Pitchers to at least TRY to swing a bat.
I think it's pretty fair to say the Diamondbacks are going to win the wild card game barring
unforeseen calamity, even if the Rockies give them a battle. But I don't see them getting past
the National League Championship Series, not this time. I do see them in the races
again next year, though, this is as solid a team as it gets.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #980 on: October 01, 2017, 07:45:44 pm »
Cubs Indians rematch in the WS; I read one article as saying. Could happen.  It's pretty easy to say Cleveland will probably be there, vs. the D-backs I will say.

Why thank you!  May we have outstanding seven games!

@Cyber Liberty 

Go D-Backs!  And as J.D. Martinez has said, "Thank you, God!"
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #981 on: October 01, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »
I think it's pretty fair to say the Diamondbacks are going to win the wild card game barring
unforeseen calamity, even if the Rockies give them a battle. But I don't see them getting past
the National League Championship Series, not this time. I do see them in the races
again next year, though, this is as solid a team as it gets.

That's a fair reckoning.  My Dbacks have the best team they've had in years.  A tribute to Torey Lovullo.  I liked him from the start.  First rule:  "I want to see 21 outs per game from the starters, no burning out the bullpen as we have in years past."  It kept the team alive through August-September fade that has killed us year after year.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #982 on: October 02, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
Cubs Indians rematch in the WS; I read one article as saying. Could happen.  It's pretty easy to say Cleveland will probably be there, vs. the D-backs I will say.
I am hoping the lil' ol' team from Houston has a say as to whether the Indians go into the World Series or not.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #983 on: October 02, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »
I am hoping the lil' ol' team from Houston has a say as to whether the Indians go into the World Series or not.

888high58888

Count on it!  And right now they have THE best pitching staff in baseball! 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #984 on: October 02, 2017, 04:09:58 pm »
888high58888

Count on it!  And right now they have THE best pitching staff in baseball!
@Bigun

Uh, no they don't. Here's a look at the pitching for all the postseason entrants,
with the best results in bold:

Astros---4.12 team ERA; 3.91 team fielding-independent pitching
Indians---3.30 team ERA; 3.33 team fielding-independent pitching
Red Sox---3.70 team ERA; 3.78 team fielding-independent pitching
Yankees---4.07 team ERA; 3.88 fielding-independent pitching
Twins---4.86 team ERA; 4.72 team fielding-independent pitching
Dodgers---3.58 team ERA; 3.67 team fielding-independent pitching
Cubs---3.95 team ERA; 4.20 team fielding-independent pitching
Nationals---4.15 team ERA; 3.99 team fielding-independent pitching
Diamondbacks---3.66 team ERA; 3.80 team fielding-independent pitching
Rockies---4.51 team ERA; 4.32 team fielding-independent pitching

Also: The Indians walked the fewest batters of any team in the majors this season. (406.)
They struck out the most batters of any team in the majors this season. (1,614.)
The Indians' staff also had the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in the game this year: 3.98. (The Astros
had the fifth best.)
Only the Yankees' and the Dodgers' staffs allowed fewer hits than the Indians this year. (Among the
postseason entrants, the Twins allowed the most hits.)
The Indians staff was equaled only by the Dodgers in the lowest walks and hits per inning pitched rate on the year: 1.16.
(The Astros were eighth.)
The Indians' staff also surrendered the fewest home runs on the year. (The Astros? The eleventh-fewest.)
And, the Indians' staff surrendered the fewest runs and the fewest earned runs on the year. (The
Astros were eleventh in earned runs surrendered and ninth in runs overall surrendered.)

Sorry, but the Astros don't have the best pitching staff in baseball this year.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:17:25 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #985 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:05 pm »
That would depend on whether the Red Sox knock them out in the division series; the Indians
begin against the winner of the wild card game between the Yankees and the Twins. And
the Indians have home field advantage in both the division series and the League Championship
Series. If the Dodgers don't make it to the World Series but the Indians or the Astros do, either
team would have World Series home field advantage.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:15:40 pm by EasyAce »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #986 on: October 02, 2017, 04:37:45 pm »
@Bigun

Uh, no they don't. Here's a look at the pitching for all the postseason entrants,

Also: The Indians walked the fewest batters of any team in the majors this season. (406.)
They struck out the most batters of any team in the majors this season. (1,614.)
The Indians' staff also had the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in the game this year: 3.98. (The Astros
had the fifth best.)
Only the Yankees' and the Dodgers' staffs allowed fewer hits than the Indians this year. (Among the
The Indians staff was equaled only by the Dodgers in the lowest walks and hits per inning pitched rate on the year: 1.16.
The Indians' staff also surrendered the fewest home runs on the year. (The Astros? The eleventh-fewest.)
And, the Indians' staff surrendered the fewest runs and the fewest earned runs on the year. (The
Astros were eleventh in earned runs surrendered and ninth in runs overall surrendered.)

@EasyAce

You apparently overlooked the words "right now" in my post.  I am well aware of the pitching woes we suffered through this season.  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:00:20 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #987 on: October 02, 2017, 06:42:26 pm »
That would depend on whether the Red Sox knock them out in the division series; the Indians
begin against the winner of the wild card game between the Yankees and the Twins. And
the Indians have home field advantage in both the division series and the League Championship
Series. If the Dodgers don't make it to the World Series but the Indians or the Astros do, either

Yes, we will have to knock the Red Sox out, then the Indians, I am hoping that is the case.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #988 on: October 02, 2017, 06:46:03 pm »

I'm not thrilled about this Red Sox series start times. Game 1 is at Thursday 3:00 p.m. central, and Game 2 is at Friday 1:00 p.m. central.
I'll be at work.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #989 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »
@Bigun

had the fifth best.)

Whatever.  Personally I'd take the tandem of Verlander, Kuechel, and Peacock (who is 12-3 if you didn't know) over any other big 3.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #990 on: October 02, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
This having 5 days off before the NLDS is total nonsense.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #991 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:46 pm »
This having 5 days off before the NLDS is total nonsense.

I know, right?!  It's way too long to wait for some REAL baseball.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #992 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
I know, right?!  It's way too long to wait for some REAL baseball.

It's not good for anybody 'seeing' the ball well....and it sure messes up the rotation.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #993 on: October 02, 2017, 09:07:59 pm »
Whatever.  Personally I'd take the tandem of Verlander, Kuechel, and Peacock (who is 12-3 if you didn't know) over any other big 3.
I'd take Verlander. Landing him made a huge difference. After that, that Astros rotation is a question mark going into
this postseason.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #994 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:13 pm »
@EasyAce

You apparently overlooked the words "right now" in my post.  I am well aware of the pitching woes we suffered through this season.  :beer:
No, I didn't overlook anything. I'd take the Indians' pitching staff right now over any of
the other postseason teams. And any team going 32-4 down the stretch is no team full of
pushovers.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #995 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
No, I didn't overlook anything. I'd take the Indians' pitching staff right now over any of
the other postseason teams. And any team going 32-4 down the stretch is no team full of
pushovers.

Going to be fun to watch the showdown between the Astros and Indians!  Probably more so than the main event.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #996 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
The Astros scored 11+ runs in 4 straight games last week.
Last time that was done was 1913?
I think they are also hitting a stride.
Could be similar to the Royals, the previous 2 years.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #997 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:48 pm »
Going to be fun to watch the showdown between the Astros and Indians!  Probably more so than the main event.
If that's going to be the ALCS, "fun" might be an understatement!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #998 on: October 05, 2017, 01:27:55 am »
@Bigun

had the fifth best.)

Wheeee!  Top of the 4th, 6-0 D-Backs.  Goldy and Scalsie both got home!Era.  Goldschmidt with two men on base, and Descalso with one man on base.  The other run must snuck into home!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #999 on: October 05, 2017, 01:31:31 am »
Oops!  Didn't hit "preview"!  Homerun and something else... @EasyAce