Author Topic: Trump warns Mexico: Pay for the wall or cancel the meeting  (Read 4082 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump warns Mexico: Pay for the wall or cancel the meeting
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:06 pm »

By Louis Nelson

01/26/17 09:37 AM EST

President Donald Trump said Thursday that if Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto is steadfast in his promise that his nation won't pay for a wall along America’s southern border, “then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting” between the two leaders.

The warning, posted by Trump on Twitter Thursday morning, comes as tensions between the U.S. and its southern neighbor grow even more strained beneath the weight of the president’s campaign promises to get tough with Mexico on trade and immigration.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-mexico-border-wall-warning-234211
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

Re: Trump warns Mexico: Pay for the wall or cancel the meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

By Louis Nelson

01/26/17 09:37 AM EST

President Donald Trump said Thursday that if Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto is steadfast in his promise that his nation won't pay for a wall along America’s southern border, “then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting” between the two leaders.

The warning, posted by Trump on Twitter Thursday morning, comes as tensions between the U.S. and its southern neighbor grow even more strained beneath the weight of the president’s campaign promises to get tough with Mexico on trade and immigration.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-mexico-border-wall-warning-234211

LOL, line in the sand? Your move Mexico.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:54:02 pm »
Trump's a fool for picking an unnecessary fight like this.   

Damn right Mexico shouldn't pay for the wall.  If we want the wall, then we should build it, and pay for it. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:43 pm »

Damn right Mexico shouldn't pay for the wall.  If we want the wall, then we should build it, and pay for it.

The only fools are those that feel that we need to be nice to Mexico! Well, Mexico can't have it both ways.  We're supporting their criminals (ALL those that are here illegally) and the American people have paid very dearly, some even with their lives. Let's build the wall then and RETURN ALL ILLEGALS to them and let them support their own damn people.  No more catch and release; round 'em up and deport them ALL. I say let's return their criminals from our prisons and jails to them first and send them a bill for each one of them for feeding them and housing them. Absolutely NO more medical, food stamps or other government assistance including schooling kids that are here illegally or whose parents are here illegally. 

I'm sorry, but AMERICA and AMERICANS FIRST!!! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:26:16 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 pm »

He promised he would make Mexico pay for it.  :shrug:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:36:31 pm »

Well, IMHO they will eventually pay for it one way or another; either out right funding or having to afford their criminals coming back to them.  In the long run it will probably be cheaper for us to build the wall instead of continuing to support their people.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
The only fools are those that feel that we need to be nice to Mexico! Well, Mexico can't have it both ways.  We're supporting their criminals (ALL those that are here illegally) and the American people have paid very dearly, some even with their lives. Let's build the wall then and RETURN ALL ILLEGALS to them and let them support their own damn people.  No more catch and release; round 'em up and deport them ALL. I say let's return their criminals from our prisons and jails to them first and send them a bill for each one of them for feeding them and housing them. Absolutely NO more medical, food stamps or other government assistance including schooling kids that are here illegally or whose parents are here illegally. 

:thumbsup3:  Good post.  I agree.  I saw a twitter where someone asked who was going to pick the fruit?  30 years old argument.  I don't know about other states but most have moved on from fruit to owning businesses and taking construction and manufacturing jobs.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline beandog

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
Since we've been supporting their citizens all these years, the least they can do is pay for the wall.   I think the idea of a tax on all money sent back to Mexico is a great idea.  That would go a long way towards paying for it.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »

Screw Meh-Hee-Co.  Notice that the most vehement opponents of Trump are the lily-White Mexican elite.   They know their days are numbered, especially if they no longer have the ability to release the pressure by having millions of Mestizos and Indigenous Mexicans fleeing to the US.

Revolution in Mexico is long overdue.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 05:22:42 pm »
Significant change is always painful to some extent.  I hope we can remember that as we go through the next 4 years.

And, should Mexico pay for it?   Hell, yes!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »
This is Mexico folks.......and you never hear about this in the Press.......Imagine if Trump acted like the Mexican Government has acted over the years.

Mexico Can’t Stop Lying About a Massacre
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/26/mexico-can-t-stop-lying-about-a-massacre.html

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »

Like I said, he's a fool.  (Although, to be fair, when he made the promise I doubt he thought he'd actually become President and have to live up to it.)   

The dog has caught the car.   And it's gonna run him over,  because he's incapable of dialing back his ego.   

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »

A wall has two sides. If Mexico had remembered that a tad earlier, it might not have come to this.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

And, should Mexico pay for it?   Hell, yes!

Why should Mexico pay for our stupid wall?    This is a completely unnecessary fight, except in the fever swamp of Trump's mind.     

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 05:46:24 pm »

I completely agree, Mexico has been exporting its' poverty to the USA long enough. Mexico owes us big time, they can either help pay for the wall or go bound sand.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 05:50:28 pm »
:thumbsup3:  Good post.  I agree.  I saw a twitter where someone asked who was going to pick the fruit?  30 years old argument.  I don't know about other states but most have moved on from fruit to owning businesses and taking construction and manufacturing jobs.

In my youth I and lots of other college students picked apples to make a little extra $$$$. I am certain young people today would do the same if the price was right. Offer 8 or 10 bucks an hour and the fruit will get picked.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »
In my youth I and lots of other college students picked apples to make a little extra $$$$. I am certain young people today would do the same if the price was right. Offer 8 or 10 bucks an hour and the fruit will get picked.

Beans for me. Started doing that the summer I was 7 - and got 5 cents a bushel (was in Canada then).

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:46 pm »
Beans for me. Started doing that the summer I was 7 - and got 5 cents a bushel (was in Canada then).
5 cents a bushel! Man that's ruff. But I'll bet that was back when a candy bar cost a nickel.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 06:04:25 pm »
5 cents a bushel! Man that's ruff. But I'll bet that was back when a candy bar cost a nickel.

1963 (Man, I feel old). Honestly couldn't tell you how much candy was then - we were going through a rough summer since Mom couldn't work at all and my earnings got swept into the general food pool.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
Update: Mexico's Peña Nieto cancels meeting with President Trump over wall impasse

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/26/mexicos-pe-nieto-cancels-meeting-with-president-trump-over-wall-impasse.html

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »
Update: Mexico's Peña Nieto cancels meeting with President Trump over wall impasse

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/26/mexicos-pe-nieto-cancels-meeting-with-president-trump-over-wall-impasse.html

See. Trump is already keeping Mexicans from coming into the country.    :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

If I were Trump, I would immediately start building that wall and start emptying out our prisons of Mexican criminals -- send them back to where they came ... all courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 06:32:09 pm »
@EC

When I was five/six, we had Fig trees.  Mom would pay me 5 cents for every bucket I filled.  I figured out if I put some of hers already in a filled bucket, while she was on the other side of the trees with another bucket, my bucket would fill up faster.  It didn't dawn on me I was a thief to get more of those nickels.  I have since repented for stolen nickels.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »
It's really tough to judge what the hell Trump is doing sometimes because it's pretty clear that what he says is often part of a negotiating posture -- it's what he did in business, and he's going to do it as President.  Stake out a hard-line position, and end up somewhere better than you would have if you'd be more moderate at the start.  It may even work in some cases.