Author Topic: Fashion designer refuses to dress Melania Trump  (Read 19526 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fashion designer refuses to dress Melania Trump
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:39:00 pm »
Fashion designer refuses to dress Melania Trump
By Judy Kurtz - 11/18/16 12:47 PM EST

A fashion designer whose styles have been sported by Michelle Obama is boycotting dressing Melania Trump, saying she encourages “my fellow designers to do the same” when it comes to outfitting the next first lady.

"As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles, I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next First Lady," Sophie Theallet wrote in a letter this week.

“The rhetoric of racism, sexism, and xenophobia unleashed by her husband’s presidential campaign are incompatible with the shared values we live by,” Theallet wrote about President-elect Donald Trump.

“I encourage my fellow designers to do the same,” she continued.

“I am well aware it is not wise to get involved in politics,” the fashion maven wrote. “That said, as a family-owned company, our bottom line is not just about money. We value our artistic freedom and always humbly seek to contribute to a more humane, conscious and ethical way to create in this world.”

Theallet appears to be the first designer to snub Melania Trump before the former model moves into the executive mansion. While other designers have spoken out against Donald Trump, they’ve still expressed a willingness to dress his wife.

"It would be hypocritical to say no to dressing a Trump," Marcus Wainwright of Rag & Bone, told The New York Times last week. "If we say we are about inclusivity and making American manufacturing great again, then we have to put that before personal political beliefs."

In her Thursday note, Theallet — whose outfits Michelle Obama has worn on multiple occasions — wrote, “As an immigrant myself in this country, I have been blessed with the opportunity to pursue my dreams in the USA. Dressing the First Lady Michelle Obama for the past 8 years has been a highlight and an honor.”

"The Sophie Theallet brand stands against all discrimination and prejudice,” wrote Theallet, saying the brand's runway shows, ad campaigns and celebrity dressings have been "a celebration of diversity."

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/306763-fashion-designer-refuses-to-dress-melania-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Fashion designer refuses to dress Melania Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:40:24 pm »
What a b'tch...I am sure there are many designers who would love to showcase their designs by Melania wearing them
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:41 pm »
What a b'tch...I am sure there are many designers who would love to showcase their designs by Melania wearing them

Good. Let the nutcases marginalize themselves. There is little talent at the top to that industry to begin with.

Boob belts anyone?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:55:31 pm »
Heck....I'll volunteer.   :seeya:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »
Good. Let the nutcases marginalize themselves. There is little talent at the top to that industry to begin with.

Boob belts anyone?
Well, at least the drapes, bedspreads, and the breezeway cushion covers will be safe for a while...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 11:03:58 pm »
@mystery-ak

No, don't think she is a b'tch, no more than bakers who refuse to bake a cake for homo marriage.  No more than Chick Fila, who use their religious beliefs in their business, no more than Hobby Lobby use their religious beliefs to close on Sunday.  This designer is using her political beliefs to run their family business.  I don't see her as any different than any other business that chooses to do this or that due to whatever they believe. 

There are also apartment buildings in New York who are removing the TRUMP name off their buildings.  That is their right since he does not own the buildings.  They were paying him to have his name there and now they are dumping his name.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 11:04:17 pm »
Well, at least the drapes, bedspreads, and the breezeway cushion covers will be safe for a while...

:bigsilly:
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:35 pm »
Heck....I'll volunteer.   :seeya:

Lol ... you'd do one helluva job, I'm sure D.C.   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 11:16:07 pm »
Melina is a fashion model; I don't think she's going to have a difficult time at all looking chic and put together.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:16:59 pm »
@mystery-ak

No, don't think she is a b'tch, no more than bakers who refuse to bake a cake for homo marriage.  No more than Chick Fila, who use their religious beliefs in their business, no more than Hobby Lobby use their religious beliefs to close on Sunday.  This designer is using her political beliefs to run their family business.  I don't see her as any different than any other business that chooses to do this or that due to whatever they believe. 

There are also apartment buildings in New York who are removing the TRUMP name off their buildings.  That is their right since he does not own the buildings.  They were paying him to have his name there and now they are dumping his name.

You are right in that regard but what irked me the most was her statement and asking fellow designers to do the same...
Support the USO

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 11:20:28 pm »
Melina is a fashion model; I don't think she's going to have a difficult time at all looking chic and put together.
I expect to see "If you dress her, you'll never work in this town again." Remember that the Fashion industry is ruled by the most 'drama queen' of gay men. they are vindictive by nature.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:25 pm »
I expect to see "If you dress her, you'll never work in this town again." Remember that the Fashion industry is ruled by the most 'drama queen' of gay men. they are vindictive by nature.

Yikes you are correct; I forget about all the drama 'queens'!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 11:25:11 pm »
@mystery-ak

Precisely!

It is her business, let her cater to the clientele she wants to. That is, and should be her right.

From a slightly different perspective, would you want to force anyone to provide a service or create a product for you who did NOT want your business?  **nononono*

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 11:27:54 pm »
What better way to marginalize the whole bloody lot of them?

You can't tell me a straight guy doesn't know what looks good on a woman and couldn't design outfits for the ladies. Sheesh!

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 11:37:48 pm »
What better way to marginalize the whole bloody lot of them?

You can't tell me a straight guy doesn't know what looks good on a woman and couldn't design outfits for the ladies. Sheesh!

I agree completely. I am hoping they launch a full hate campaign and piss even more people off across the spectrum doing it. Only Nixon can go to China.

The Fashion industry is just like and a symbiote of the MSM. They arent as 'needed' or important as they think they are. I fully expect there are many designers not "PC" enough (not green/gay/lulticulti etc.) to have been accepted into the club just as plenty of conservative journos were either forced out or quit.

They are still there. And available. Given a chance to shine, they will. And the pink triangle will take it in the shorts in an unwanted manner because of their blinders.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 11:43:55 pm »
Sophie Theallet "celebrates and strives for diversity" unless it conflicts with her opinion.

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:48:18 pm »

Lmao

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 11:57:04 pm »

I doubt she'll have a problem finding designers to work with.

I think it will be interesting to see her fashion choices.  Michelle has been a no-taste disaster.  It's always said that Laura Bush was very ladylike, and she was, but IMO her clothing was also pretty boring and dowdy.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 12:00:01 am »
I report, you decide @mystery-ak 

Melania:                                                                                                 From the Sophie Theallet winter collection:

(I may be too optimistic here ... but I'm guessing Melania's going to be just fine  :laugh:)

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 12:11:59 am »
@mystery-ak

I completely agree with you.  The difference here is that she didn't refuse Melania's request.  This was a preemptive "I won't do it" even though Melania has not asked for anything.  A bit presumptuous, but not bitchy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:12:50 am by Puss-N-Boots »
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 12:13:30 am »
I want that dress!

The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 12:18:27 am »
Precisely!

It is her business, let her cater to the clientele she wants to. That is, and should be her right.

From a slightly different perspective, would you want to force anyone to provide a service or create a product for you who did NOT want your business?  **nononono*

Especially in a business that attaches straight pins close to one's body.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 12:18:55 am »

You know they ban people for skirting the profanity checker here don't you?  What they don't... cool.. carry on.   :police:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 12:21:09 am »
You know they ban people for skirting the profanity checker here don't you?  What they don't... cool.. carry on.   :police:

They do?..Ooops I better be careful then.. :smokin:
Support the USO

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 12:23:46 am »
"The Trumps are a danger to society... Now, let's all get back out there and smash more windows, burn more cars, and beat up more Trump voters!"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:24:08 am by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!