Author Topic: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House  (Read 17373 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2016, 05:11:45 pm »

Well first of all,   it is just a proposal.   Again,  I have been actively soliciting proposals from *OTHER*  people,   but they would seemingly rather rant and mischaracterize *my*  idea than come up with one of their own.   

Second of all,   the media must presumably obey equal opportunity in hiring law,  and conceivably the right sorts and quantity of lawsuits could make inroads into their staffing if pursued adequately,  especially if their licensing and other government controlled operating privileges are threatened.     

Third of all,   it will do no good for *YOU*   to stop consuming media when the rest of the nation will keep it afloat anyway,   so a "solution"  that doesn't actually solve a problem isn't really a solution. 

But I do agree with you about one  thing.   Reducing or eliminating our own consumption of the propaganda is a start.    Same thing with the entertainment media.   

If you must buy movies,  buy foreign movies.   If you are going to be paying a communist,  it might as well be a foreign communist.

The media hires who it wants to. I worked in a newsroom filled with H1Bs hired over Americans in direct violation of the law.

Everything begins with one person. To have an impact we have to stop consuming enough media to make them a liability, not an asset to the liberals in govt.

So yes. Just like principled voting, it works when people actually do it.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »

In other words,I have to accept your use of incorrect working and by extension your wrong assumptions,and just let your comments pass without comment? If you want to call a Ford a Dodge,I should be fine with that,right?  No wonder you are so fond of People's Committees.

If you think the word "Voters"  equals "Government"  then you have a point.   If you think "voters"  and "government"  mean two different things,    then you don't.

If you believe

— That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —

Then you should have no problem with the "governed"  having a say in how they are governed,  and the most important thing they should have a say about is HAVING A SAY!  

Freedom of speech baby!   Not just Liberal Speech,  but Conservative speech needs to be allowed too!   

Obstacles to conservative speech having an equal say on the airwaves, need to be destroyed.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Oceander

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »
@geronl

Based on nothing at all other than my own WAG,I'm guessing there will be a lot of people voting for Trump that are normally Dim voters,but find Bubbette! to be just "one step too far."

Face it,her rabid supporters are the BLM/ghetto rat crowd,the Union crowd, and the "Why-Men?" crowd. Beyond that agenda crowd she has to rely entirely on the clueless,and a awful lot of people that usually vote Dim aren't really True Believers. They vote Dim because they are afraid of the Religious Right coming to power.

And since Trump is basically a "Life-Long Dim in Republican Clothing",voting for him isn't that much of a stretch for them.

Face it,if Bubbette! was running against your mailman,regardless of who your mailman is,he would beat her by historic proportions. Trump as an opponent was the best chance she had of winning. She has to be the most horrible and hated major party candidate in history.

I doubt it very seriously.  Trumps sexual assaults and demeaning treatment of women have brought nonvoters in who will vote for Clinton even though they dislike her.  And these are not the feminazi brigade, these are regular women.  My wife is one. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2016, 05:16:50 pm »
George HW Bush,  for example,   seemed completely oblivious to the fact that if he made that deal with Democrats,   he would have it shoved down his throat in the next election.   

Any fool could see he was making a colossal blunder,  yet he went right on and did it anyway.   

We seem to have a lot of people who are blind to the future consequences of their actions (or lack thereof.)   

I disagree with you wholeheartedly on your attempt to browbeat those of us who don't support Trump, but  this post NAILS it.

Many people seem to think that if they get a slim Republican majority in Congress, time freezes.  They don't understand that overreach is VERY easy to fall into.  The Left has gained so much over decades by incrementalism, not by browbeating their representatives into radical programs.  Sure, they sometimes push some big initiatives, but they do it with some modicum of popular support.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2016, 05:20:29 pm »
Correct. They will. Which, you know, is kind of their right to do so?

The American people have a *RIGHT*  to hear both sides,   not a monopoly of one side.    You are  defending a system in which Americans are only allowed half their rights,  with the other half being banned and censored.   

As the President of the Constitutional convention explained:

5. Printers are educated in the Belief, that when Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter: Hence they chearfully serve all contending Writers that pay them well, without regarding on which side they are of the Question in Dispute.

Let me make this clear.   Any system which leaves one side in control of all access to the public is a despotic system.    It is anti-American.   It denies the fundamental right of Freedom of Speech to one side or the other.   

Liberals have a right to put forth their ideas.    What they do *NOT*  have a right to do is control and censor the other side's ideas.   

That is what they are doing now. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2016, 05:20:52 pm »
I doubt it very seriously.  Trumps sexual assaults and demeaning treatment of women have brought nonvoters in who will vote for Clinton even though they dislike her.  And these are not the feminazi brigade, these are regular women.  My wife is one.

@Oceander

Ok.

I am basing my guess entirely on seeing a number of Trump bumper stickers,t-shirts,hats,and yard signs as I drive around,and I honestly can't remember seeing any Hillary promotional stuff. Mind you,I am not driving around back roads or minority neighborhoods looking for stuff,but just noticing what I see as I drive along going to where ever it is I am going.

Maybe that's because they people who plan to vote for her are a little ashamed of themselves,and don't want to publicize it?

Who knows?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

HonestJohn

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2016, 05:22:42 pm »
Actually 80% of party members supporting the nominee is remarkably low. A lot of us have left the party.

The support level is actually about 75%.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:16 pm »
For the record, I am not a 'fundie' or fundamentalist Christian.  I am a Present Truth Christian.  Big difference, not that you would understand since your bigoted ignorance is on full display for everyone to see.<<

@Hoodat

Speaking of "bigoted ignorance"....

I am pleased to see you admit "The Truth" is a fluid thing when it comes to religious beliefs.

As I stated before, I didn't expect you to understand.

HOW much governement money is spend on Planned Parenthood,and for what purposes? I have no problem with free birth control for the people who can least afford to have more children,and you would have to be a fool to not understand that helping the poor limit the size of their families will save hundreds of millions over the years,as well as result in fewer Dim voters.

Then give out vouchers for 'free' [sic] birth control instead of subsidizing one particular entity.  Or supply pharmacies with 'free' birth control to be made available to poor black women, since that's who we're really talking about here, right?  There are plenty of other organizations out there who give out 'free' birth control who don't receive government money or who don't use that government money to pay the GSA costs of their abortion wing.

Speaking of bigotry once again,not to mention ignorance,doesn't the majority of the funding for Planned Parenthood in this country come from donations?

And fees.  Change "the majority of" to "all", and there will no longer be any problem.

BTW,why not quote to us what the Constitution says about what comprises Constitutional Authority to spend money. Especially income tax money,considering we didn't even have a income tax the first 100 years or so.

Article I, Sec 8
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »

.....Let me make this clear.   Any system which leaves one side in control of all access to the public is a despotic system.    It is anti-American.   It denies the fundamental right of Freedom of Speech to one side or the other.   

Giving you three  :amen: :amen: :amen: on that one. A tyranny of the right is no better than a tyranny of the left. We are either all free,or none of us are free.

HonestJohn

« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2016, 05:25:04 pm »

The American people have a *RIGHT*  to hear both sides,   not a monopoly of one side.    You are  defending a system in which Americans are only allowed half their rights,  with the other half being banned and censored.   

As the President of the Constitutional convention explained:

Let me make this clear.   Any system which leaves one side in control of all access to the public is a despotic system.    It is anti-American.   It denies the fundamental right of Freedom of Speech to one side or the other.   

Liberals have a right to put forth their ideas.    What they do *NOT*  have a right to do is control and censor the other side's ideas.   

That is what they are doing now.

You are expending a lot of time to advocate for the reinstatement of the 'Fairness Doctrine'.

geronl

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
But educating and converting the electorate is hard! says Authoritarian Barbie.

There's a segment of so-called "conservatives" who believe that we're going to achieve magical ends without putting in the groundwork to achieve success via a democratic republican process.

We will preserve freedom by turning all workplaces democratic and run by Workers Committee's! Not just the media, but every single business and organization will be elected.

This sounds familiar.

is it 1918 all over again, comrade....

geronl

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »
The support level is actually about 75%.

That makes it Spectacularly Low. I have a whole chart of this. Kidding.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »

Then give out vouchers for 'free' [sic] birth control instead of subsidizing one particular entity.  Or supply pharmacies with 'free' birth control to be made available to poor black women, since that's who we're really talking about here, right?  <<

Ahhh,the race card. Always handy to pull out of your pocket when you have nothing else. I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up sooner.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 05:27:22 pm »
But educating and converting the electorate is hard! says Authoritarian Barbie.

It is not "hard".   It is effectively impossible.   The party of government has an effective monopoly on all teaching and broadcasting.   

You need to wake up to the fact that we are living in a government controlled monopoly of speech and education.   

There's a segment of so-called "conservatives" who believe that we're going to achieve magical ends without putting in the groundwork to achieve success via a democratic republican process.

So long as the party of government has megaphones blowing in the ears of everyone in the nation you need to reach,  you aren't going to achieve any sort of success.   

If propaganda wasn't so important,  why would they have control of it?   

Why does every despotic government seize on the apparatus necessary to spread propaganda and thereafter control it?   

— Lord Melbourne —

Oceander

« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
@Oceander

Ok.

I am basing my guess entirely on seeing a number of Trump bumper stickers,t-shirts,hats,and yard signs as I drive around,and I honestly can't remember seeing any Hillary promotional stuff. Mind you,I am not driving around back roads or minority neighborhoods looking for stuff,but just noticing what I see as I drive along going to where ever it is I am going.

Maybe that's because they people who plan to vote for her are a little ashamed of themselves,and don't want to publicize it?

Who knows?

I agree that it's a bizarre election and it is possible that people who will vote for her are embarrassed.  My wife isn't but that has no bearing on whether others are.  However, I think another issue with the missing signs is that the democrats much more than the republicans have switched over to social media and that is where the "signs" are showing up, such as shared links on Facebook. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »
The media hires who it wants to.

It hires Liberals and pretty much only Liberals.   They throw the occasional token conservative in there to pretend objectivity,   but the Anchors,  camera crews and janitorial staff and so forth are all Liberal Democrat Union members from Urban environments.   

I worked in a newsroom filled with H1Bs hired over Americans in direct violation of the law.

Obviously they weren't too worried about that,  now were they?   Why should they worry?  They are effectively "connected"  to all the right people in the ruling class. 

Everything begins with one person. To have an impact we have to stop consuming enough media to make them a liability, not an asset to the liberals in govt.

So yes. Just like principled voting, it works when people actually do it.

Does it appear to be working to you?   

Did the Jews refusing to listen to Hitler's propaganda "work"  for them?   

Propaganda must be actively opposed.   It is an action that cannot be fought with a non action.   It must have an equal and opposite action. 

— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2016, 05:35:48 pm »

Then give out vouchers for 'free' [sic] birth control instead of subsidizing one particular entity. 

Or how about:

BUY YOUR OWN CRAP!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »

“In God’s name, I beg of you to think.” - DiogenesLamp

That's cute and all, but what did you mean to say?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2016, 05:41:58 pm »

When Rapist Bill Clinton was in the headlines,  they were driving the cattle in the other direction. 

And people don't think the media have an effect.   
— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 05:49:34 pm »
That's cute and all, but what did you mean to say?

We need an elected body to tell us what to think, I guess

Offline For-Q-Clinton

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »
While I don't like Trump or Hillary it doesn't mean I support the GOP either.  A pox on all of them.  At this point I'm voting against the media by voting for Trump.  Yes I hate to admit I will vote for the Turd Sandwich, but I'd love to watch the media outrage if he wins.  Plus I'll be sick to listen to them spin the Hillary win as America has 100% adopted Obama's view of America.

geronl

« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »
While I don't like Trump or Hillary it doesn't mean I support the GOP either.  A pox on all of them.  At this point I'm voting against the media by voting for Trump.

The media is not on the ballot. They won't lose a thing if Trump wins, it will give them 4 years of mocking and belittling. It'll be fun for them.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »
The media is not on the ballot. They won't lose a thing if Trump wins, it will give them 4 years of mocking and belittling. It'll be fun for them.

Come on, @geronl, you heard the Donald...  He's going to shut down the First Amendment and he doesn't need to win Congress!  REjoice!  Why, I can already hear the presses being smashed!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2016, 06:05:51 pm »
And on cue:

CNN cuts satellite feed as soon as WikiLeaks is mentioned by Congressman Collins

https://youtu.be/cbA5RE9eK08
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »
And on cue:

CNN cuts satellite feed as soon as WikiLeaks is mentioned by Congressman Collins

https://youtu.be/cbA5RE9eK08

And until the public cares about such things, it will continue.
+++++++++