Author Topic: Trump Is a Man On An Island -- And LOSING  (Read 12101 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump Is a Man On An Island -- And LOSING
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:12:08 am »
Ouch!  I wonder if Donny has realized that the media has quickly turned on him yet?  To see those words in print that he's losing has got to sting; especially since he's been proclaiming that he's winning and he's winning big. Not only is he losing, but latest reports are he has campaign finance troubles.  Hopefully, as some had thought his ego will get the best of him and he'll either run 3rd party or he'll drop out; after all it looks like he's not being treated fairly.  Right.

Trump is a man on an island -- and losing

Yesterday, we saw President Obama and Hillary Clinton deliver a tag-team slam on Donald Trump over the presumptive GOP nominee's reactions to the tragic Orland shooting. "Are we going to start treating all Muslim Americans differently?" a visibly angry Obama asked. "Are we going to start subjecting them to special surveillance? Are we going to start discriminating against them because of their faith?" Almost at the same time, Clinton added this: "One day after the massacre, [Trump] went on TV and suggested that President Obama is on the side of the terrorists. Now just think about that for a second. Even in a time of divided politics, this is way beyond anything that should be said by someone running for president of the United States." Trump delivered his own counterpunch at his rally in North Carolina. "I watched President Obama today and he was more angry at me than he was at the shooter." But as the Democratic Party has rallied around Clinton (save for Bernie Sanders -- more on that below), Trump is pretty much all alone here in his reaction to Orlando. "I'm not going to be commenting on the presidential candidates today," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, per Benjy Sarlin. "I am not going to spend my time commenting about the ups and downs and the in-betweens of comments," added House Speaker Paul Ryan. And then there's this: "Senator Tim Scott, R-S.C., paused a moment after being asked by NBC News whether he had any thoughts on Trump's response to Orlando. 'You know…hmm,' he said. Then without another word, he walked onto the Senate floor." Hmm indeed.

The Republican reaction was akin to Marshawn Lynch declaring to the media at the Super Bowl, "I'm just here so I don't get fined." Two other GOP comments stood out to us yesterday. There was Sen. Lamar Alexander declaring that Trump isn't the party's nominee -- yet. "We do not have a nominee until after the convention," he said. And Sen. John Cornyn, the No. 2-ranking Republican in the Senate said he's done talking about Trump. "Wish me luck," he said, according to Politico. And on top of it all, Trump is losing. After our NBC|SurveyMonkey poll showed Clinton now with her biggest lead over Trump, a new Bloomberg poll from yesterday found Clinton ahead by 12 points, 49%-37%. As we wrote last week, Trump has the rest of this month to calm his party. If he doesn't, the GOP is in big trouble -- and all bets are off. ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/first-read-trump-man-island-he-s-losing-n592816

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:12:42 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ScottinVA

Re: Trump Is a Man On An Island -- And LOSING
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:05 am »
All that available talent in the GOP field and primary voters select the absolutely worst possible candidate.  And oh, by the way... whatever happened to all those "crossover dems" who voted for Trump?  Ah yes... they're now high-fiving each other after effectively handing Hillary the election.   

This was once a winnable election, folks.  But when the guaranteed general election loser rose to the top of the GOP polls, the dems jumped into "Operation Chaos" mode.  And here we are, facing an epic azz kicking in November that will make Goldwater's 1964 defeat seem like a squeaker by comparison.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:28:12 am by ScottinVA »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:34 am »
There is a chance we could be saying "President Trump" this time next year.

But if I supported him, I would recognize he's in trouble and not dismiss bad polls or tell myself the country really loves him. If I supported him, I would heed the bad news and hope he would turn this around ASAP. Currently, his supporters do not. They live on an island with him
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:47 am »
  And oh, by the way... whatever happened to all those "crossover dems" who voted for Trump?  Ah yes... they're now high-diving each other after effectively handing Hillary the election.   

They were warned.  But they really wanted to believe Trump was attracting all these new crossovers. He was. Against him.

The so called "Reagan Democrats" were a force in the 1980 and '84 election. Today, not so much.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:13 am »
There is a chance we could be saying "President Trump" this time next year.

But if I supported him, I would recognize he's in trouble and not dismiss bad polls or tell myself the country really loves him. If I supported him, I would heed the bad news and hope he would turn this around ASAP. Currently, his supporters do not. They live on an island with him

Given the 'landscape', the GOP convention in Cleveland will be globally covered by the media.

It's my hope that this acceptance speech will mark a beginning of a 'presidential' persona.  I hope, with all my heart.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:31:44 am »
Yep.. most Reagan Democrats are either dead or in nursing homes.  The era of the patriotic democrat is over.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:53 am »
Given the 'landscape', the GOP convention in Cleveland will be globally covered by the media.

It's my hope that this acceptance speech will mark a beginning of a 'presidential' persona.  I hope, with all my heart.

I guess that is how reality TV works - the dramatic last minute surprise plot twist. Seems like a pretty thin reed to be hanging on to, in the face of real reality.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:40:37 am »
All that available talent in the GOP field and primary voters select the absolutely worst possible candidate.  And oh, by the way... whatever happened to all those "crossover dems" who voted for Trump?  Ah yes... they're now high-fiving each other after effectively handing Hillary the election.   

This was once a winnable election, folks.  But when the guaranteed general election loser rose to the top of the GOP polls, the dems jumped into "Operation Chaos" mode.  And here we are, facing an epic azz kicking in November that will make Goldwater's 1964 defeat seem like a squeaker by comparison.

This was a winnable election. The DEMS (Clinton) knew it and needed Trump for the hijacking.  He was more than happy to accommodate them. The fix was in long time ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:50:08 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 11:42:04 am »
Yep.. most Reagan Democrats are either dead or in nursing homes.  The era of the patriotic democrat is over.

Plus demographics.

We're replacing the Patriotic Democrats, and people in general, with people who demand more handouts and see the American Flag as offensive
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:42:56 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 11:44:01 am »

It's my belief...I lived those years as a voter...that the long gas lines and the Iranian hostage situation going on for 444 days, birthed the Reagan Democrat.

Reagan back then....just as Trump is today, was portrayed by the biased MSM as a Grade B movie actor and television personality (death valley days)

Obama has provided average working Democrats a helluva lot MORE reasons than Carter to run to the Republican.

Especially one that has been...like Reagan...in the public eye for over 35 years.

And the polls in October, 1980...polls by the same NBC and assorted alphabets...had Carter beating Reagan.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 11:45:33 am »

Problem is, "presidential" isn't Trump's forté.  His is what attracts his base: bellowing, namecalling and ridiculing. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
It's my belief...I lived those years as a voter...that the long gas lines and the Iranian hostage situation going on for 444 days, birthed the Reagan Democrat.

It goes deeper than that. LBJ's War on Poverty / Great Society initiatives were already deeply entrenched and their malevolent consequences becoming apparent.

Also, traditional moral values were under attack from multiple ramparts.

Reagan had spent years honing his ability to engage all this.

There is the resonance with Cruz and the contrast with Trump.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:26 am »

Especially one that has been...like Reagan...in the public eye for over 35 years.

This is the essence of the problem.  The man has been in the public eye for 35 years and 65 percent of the public does not like him.  That is a recipe for unwinnable if ever I have seen one.

In spite of the fact that I did not support him, I thought Trump would up his game for the general election.  But the more I see of him the more I recognize that he simply does not have the capability. 

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56:27 am »

Reagan back then....just as Trump is today, was portrayed by the biased MSM as a Grade B movie actor and television personality (death valley days)

Obama has provided average working Democrats a helluva lot MORE reasons than Carter to run to the Republican.

And the polls in October, 1980...polls by the same NBC and assorted alphabets...had Carter beating Reagan.

Reagan was an intellectual; Trump is his antithesis.  Reagan had an identifiable, believable intellectual development leading from his original position as a democrat to being a conservative republican.  Donald Trump woke up one morning last year and magically morphed into a "republican."

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:55:14 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 12:08:18 pm »

I cringe when people try to compare Trump to Reagan as there are some very stark and important differences.  Reagan  was governor of California for 10 years giving him both the political experience and knowledge of the functionality of government and was well prepared to be Commander in Chief. Trump has no political experience and doesn't have clue one about the functionality of government and is unfit to be Commander in Chief. Reagan was born into a poor family; Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.  While Reagan was president of the Screen Actors guild he worked against Communist influence.  Trump has made comment on how he admires Kim Jung Un and Putin. Reagan personified the definition of 'presidential' and was revered around the globe. There is no thing presidential about Trump and he is seen as a bombastic narcissistic demagogue.  Reagan easily won the presidency over Carter.  Poll numbers already indicate that Clinton is ahead 12 pts. over Trump and we're just heading into the Conventions.

Huge differences.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:13 pm »
All that available talent in the GOP field and primary voters select the absolutely worst possible candidate.

The worst candidate, but the best demagogue. The guy who knows just what people want to hear and boldly says it.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 12:27:32 pm »
Huge differences.

The biggest difference is that Reagan had principles.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »

And I believe, with all my heart, in unicorns and Christmas ponies.

Good luck with that.
Former Republican.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 12:38:15 pm »

And then you can ride off into the sunset on that rainbow colored unicorn you got from Obama for free. 

You don't marry a person because you hope they'll stop being the bad person they are and become the nice person you think they can be.  The same goes for selecting presidents.  Why would Trump suddenly turn presidential when it hasn't been to his advantage to be presidential so far?  That would be as fake as his sudden "conversion" to a republican last year. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 12:38:55 pm »

True about the polls.
Dukakis led Bush by 17% coming out of the conventions.
I, too was around back then, and would sit in front of a gas pump, waiting for the station to open, on an "odd" day, to get gas.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »

The number of those not attending the Convention will increase over the next month.  If Trump is still down 12 points 30 days from now, the plans to replace him will be in place.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »

I am hoping that his supporters come to their senses and ask him to step down.  I hope will all my heart that he is not given the opportunity to make an acceptance speech and if he does, I hope for this country that The Donald is all he claims to be and will do all that he claims he will do. I'm just not seeing it as his actions and words continues to say otherwise.  Quite frankly, I m just not seeing that he has any chance of beating the Hildebeast.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:01:49 pm by libertybele »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »
It would be much better if Trump never gets to make an acceptance speech!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
Ouch!  I wonder if Donny has realized that the media has quickly turned on him yet?  To see those words in print that he's losing has got to sting; especially since he's been proclaiming that he's winning and he's winning big. Not only is he losing, but latest reports are he has campaign finance troubles.  Hopefully, as some had thought his ego will get the best of him and he'll either run 3rd party or he'll drop out; after all it looks like he's not being treated fairly.  Right.

I don't think the media was/ever will be "for" Trump.  I think they are fascinated by him and wish to exploit his apparently unending newsworthiness, but support and cover for him as they have for the Clintons and 0bama - no way.  Well, except for FNC, which is clearly and unambiguously pro-Trump.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 01:38:35 pm »

This is a whole different dynamic now... the country has since moved dramatically leftward, every syllable uttered by any candidate is now covered in a 24-hour news cycle, Carter's fecklessness re the Iran hostage crisis and the economy was already by then pulling his numbers down, Reagan could articulately speak to a vision for America under his leadership, and of course in late October came the "There You Go Again" debate.  And finally... Trump is no Reagan.  He may occasionally, if he sets his mind to it, somewhat emulate Reagan, but there's no comparison between the two.  Americans grew to like Reagan; he didn't have the astronomically high disapprovals that Trump has.