Author Topic: Trump Says Taxes for the Wealthy Should Go Up  (Read 4407 times)

A-Lert

Re: Trump Says Taxes for the Wealthy Should Go Up
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 09:26:55 pm »
yours is a fake conservative position. I'm for lowering taxes for EVERYONE, but making those that don't pay, pay.  Cruz's tax plan blows away the crap trump proposed. He is a full blown liberal. Whether clinton or trump, we're in a bad boat.

Problem is Cruz isn't the Republican candidate.  Cruz is a member of the US Senate and he didn't get taxes lowered on the middle class, did he?

If you don't think there is a difference between a tax and spend, anti-2nd Amendment, military hating, leftist sexual predator enabler and Trump, you aren't thinking.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:35:40 pm by A-Lert »

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 09:31:31 pm »
Unfortunately you sound like a complete liberal. It is not a conservative position to punish a portion of society to pay for bloated programs for slugs.

No just a realist who does not have my head in the sand.   Most gov't spending goes to pay for Military and Social Security and Medicare.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 09:35:41 pm »
  I'm for lowering taxes for EVERYONE, but making those that don't pay, pay. 

Federal taxes are the lowest they have been in decades.  How are you going to get the poor and middle class to pay? The poor is on gov't assistance now and the middle class is tapped out.

If you lower the taxes the debt will expand even more.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »
So where do you start cutting.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:39:45 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 09:44:24 pm »
So where do you start cutting.

I just told you a few posts up! Simply implement the penny plan!  http://www.onecentsolution.org/the-one-cent-solution/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 09:47:01 pm »
Federal taxes are the lowest they have been in decades.  How are you going to get the poor and middle class to pay? The poor is on gov't assistance now and the middle class is tapped out.

If you lower the taxes the debt will expand even more.

You are entitled to your own opinion, of course.

You are not similarly entitled to your own facts.

$3.25 Trillion: Government Collects Record-High Taxes in Fiscal Year 2015

Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »
I just told you a few posts up! Simply implement the penny plan!  http://www.onecentsolution.org/the-one-cent-solution/
I looked it over briefly Looks good what I saw.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 09:49:59 pm »
I looked it over briefly Looks good what I saw.

In conjunction with getting rid of the Marxist income tax code by passing the fair tax it WILL solve the problem in short order!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:43 pm »
No I was correct,. The federal tax rate is the lowest it's been in decades. When Reagan came in the top rate was 90% and he lowered it to approx 70%. Today the top rate is 39%

People are paying less federal taxes today as a rate. The fed tax revenue is higher mostly due to higher wages and two income families and corp tax rate that is too high.

You are entitled to your own opinion, of course.

You are not similarly entitled to your own facts.

$3.25 Trillion: Government Collects Record-High Taxes in Fiscal Year 2015

Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:53:20 pm by mirraflake »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 10:35:13 pm »
No I was correct,. The federal tax rate is the lowest it's been in decades. When Reagan came in the top rate was 90% and he lowered it to approx 70%. Today the top rate is 39%

People are paying less federal taxes today as a rate. The fed tax revenue is higher mostly due to higher wages and two income families and corp tax rate that is too high.
The tax rate doesn't matter if nobody pays it. When the highest marginal rate was 90% - almost no one paid it - they deferred their income or created insurance-funded trusts or sheltered it in municipal bonds. Would you work for 10% of your additional sweat? Who the hell in their right mind would? NOBODY.

When Reagan cut taxes in 1981- just as when John F. Kennedy cut taxes in 1963 - revenues exploded. Why? Because money that had been sitting idle - just like trillions of dollars today are sitting idle - were instead put to work - investing in new businesses and creating millions of new jobs. There are entire categories of new businesses that have never come into being because our tax rates - made to fund unsupportable, extra-Constitutional spending - are obscenely high and are destroying incentive to invest and take risk.

The Government and by extension, my fellow citizens do not have a first claim on my income. What I earn is MINE. I worked for it. Do you want a job? Good. Go create one. Or else, leave me and the rest of the creators and producers the hell alone.  I have no problem paying for necessary services that I myself cannot provide - national defense, transportation infrastructure, and to an extent, social services, the return upon which should be to relieve suffering and create opportunity, not to enshrine a state of permanent dependency. That is what each honest citizen of a constitutional republic agrees to, not the endless expansion of Federal spending to buy votes in exchange for endless income transfers to people who cannot and will not take responsibility for themselves.

You want a revolution? Try raising taxes to 90% again on productive Americans. Because we've had enough crap from the Progressive community. T.E.A.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:40:43 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline bob434

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 10:43:01 pm »
He isn't going after tax money to pay down the debt- He's going after it to pay for government programs- on the debt he plans on defaulting:

http://therightscoop.com/insane-trump-will-make-america-default-on-its-debt/

Besides, taxing the rich wouldn't come anywhere near to paying down the debt- but it will go a long way to causing millions to become unemployed-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »

When Reagan took office, the top rate was 70%.  Reagan lowered it to 28%.  Today's top rate is 39% higher than it was when Reagan left office.

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter what rate you set.  Historically, the Treasury has collected 19% of GDP whether Reagan, Johnson, Carter, Bush, or Obama was in office.  Tax rates affect GDP, but do not affect the percentage taken in.  Thus, the problem lies on the spending side.  Any government that spends more than 19% of GDP will run deficits.  Any government that spends less than 19% of GDP will run surpluses.  Ted Cruz understands this.  Donald Trump does not nor does he care.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

A-Lert

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:11 pm »

You want a revolution? Try raising taxes to 90% again on productive Americans. Because we've had enough crap from the Progressive community. T.E.A.

Where did you come up with the 90%? Who is recommending or supporting that?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 10:53:05 pm »
The lower classes don't pay income taxes - they get free money ("negative income tax") instead,

What would happen if you simply did away with that?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »
The Government and by extension, my fellow citizens do not have a first claim on my income. What I earn is MINE. I worked for it.

I have actually heard liberals argue that 100% of your income belongs to government just for allowing you to live in this country, and out of goodness government allows you to have some of it back.  Seriously.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

A-Lert

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 11:20:00 pm »

I've posed that question before. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare

According to the U.S. Census Bureau data released September 13, 2011, the nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% (46.2 million) in 2010,[38] up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million) in 2009 and to its highest level since 1993. In 2008, 13.2% (39.8 million) Americans lived in relative poverty.[39]

In a 2011 op-ed in Forbes, Peter Ferrara stated that, "The best estimate of the cost of the 185 federal means tested Welfare programs for 2010 for the federal government alone is nearly $700 billion, up a third since 2008, according to the Heritage Foundation. Counting state spending, total Welfare spending for 2010 reached nearly $900 billion, up nearly one-fourth since 2008 (24.3%)".[40] California, with 12% of the U.S. population, has one-third of the nation's welfare recipients.[41]

In FY 2011, federal spending on means-tested welfare, plus state contributions to federal programs, reached $927 billion per year. Roughly half of this welfare assistance, or $462 billion went to families with children, most of which are headed by single parents.[42]

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:38 pm »
I have actually heard liberals argue that 100% of your income belongs to government just for allowing you to live in this country, and out of goodness government allows you to have some of it back.  Seriously.

There is a word to describe a condition where anyone or anything has an a priori claim to the fruits of your labor! That word is Slavery!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 11:36:22 pm »

It would not produce a great deal of income, to be sure. It would save the taxpayers a modest amount as well. But it might begin to restore the fundamental idea that the government - and by extension, your neighbors - do not owe you a living.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 11:47:50 pm »
MY Dad died last year..about a 4.2 Million estate.. He was paying less in taxes in 2014 than he was 20 years ago when he had half  the money.

It depends on how much he actually earned in 2014 vs 1994 https://www.scribd.com/doc/190499803/Fed-U-S-Federal-Individual-Income-Tax-Rates-History-1862-2013#fullscreen

geronl

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 02:40:09 am »
raise taxes
can't cut spending

"Look, Mommy, Democrats!"

"It's not polite to stare..."

Offline elhombrelibre

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 08:17:56 am »
Trump remains a big government, statist liberal.  He barely knows what conservatives believe, and he cannot articulate those views in anyway beyond a caricature.  He tweets and speaks like with great contempt for the public and displays an amazing incoherence on policy.  His contradictions and flip flops occur on a daily basis.  His only consistency is his own hubris.  Beyond his vanity, there is no core.  He's betrayed almost everyone and everything he's ever been involved with.  The difference between Hillary and him is that he changed his party affiliation.  Beyond that, they're much the same on the essentials that matters that affect our political future. 

A-Lert

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 08:39:51 am »
Trump remains a big government, statist liberal.  He barely knows what conservatives believe, and he cannot articulate those views in anyway beyond a caricature.  He tweets and speaks like with great contempt for the public and displays an amazing incoherence on policy.  His contradictions and flip flops occur on a daily basis.  His only consistency is his own hubris.  Beyond his vanity, there is no core.  He's betrayed almost everyone and everything he's ever been involved with.  The difference between Hillary and him is that he changed his party affiliation.  Beyond that, they're much the same on the essentials that matters that affect our political future.

The incessant whining of the anti/neverTrumps is rather pathetic. They accuse Trump of being a liberal and the democrats attack him. Then the anti-Trumps claim Trump couldn't beat Hillary and we find out the libs had already allocated $21 million for anti-Trump campaign ads before he even became the presumptive GOP nominee. We're not sure how much the GOP has spent to derail Trumps campaign. Inspite of the attacks and denigration, Trump continues to accumulate more supporters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign_endorsements,_2016

State Governors
Current

Greg Abbott, Texas (previously endorsed Ted Cruz)[347]
    Phil Bryant, Mississippi (previously endorsed Ted Cruz)[337]
    Mary Fallin, Oklahoma[348]
    Nikki Haley, South Carolina (previously endorsed Marco Rubio, then Ted Cruz)[349]
    Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas (previously endorsed Mike Huckabee, then Marco Rubio)[350]
    Pat McCrory, North Carolina[351]
    Mike Pence, Indiana (previously endorsed Ted Cruz)[352]
    Pete Ricketts, Nebraska[353]
    Brian Sandoval, Nevada (previously endorsed John Kasich)[354]
    Scott Walker, Wisconsin (former 2016 presidential candidate) (previously endorsed Ted Cruz)[355]

Former

Jim Gilmore, Virginia (former 2016 presidential candidate)[356]
    Mike Huckabee, Arkansas (former 2016 and 2008 presidential candidate)[357]
    Jon Huntsman, Utah (former 2012 presidential candidate)[358]
    Bobby Jindal, Louisiana (former 2016 presidential candidate) (previously endorsed Marco Rubio)[359]
    Tim Pawlenty, Minnesota (former 2012 presidential candidate) (previously endorsed Marco Rubio) [360]
    Rick Perry, Texas (former 2016 and 2012 presidential candidate) (previously endorsed Ted Cruz

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:01 pm »
Taxes:

There should be one uniform tax rate for all people. The first 30 or 40 grand should not be taxed. After that income, including income from capital gains and inheritance, should be taxed at the same uniform rate. We should also, ideally, tax consumption instead of income.

I agree wholeheartedly with anyone who says that taxes take money out of the private sector and put it into the public sector where it does far less good. But with the debt interest payment nearing 30%, I'm not sure what choice we have at this point. Except massive inflation and I think that would be a disaster.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 01:03:12 pm »

Well said! And all to true!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kidd

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »
No one here will admit to it but taxes are going to have to go up to pay off the debt. Even with severe cuts in spending it won't be enough.

The lower and middle class an upper middle class are tapped out.

I have zero problem with the top 5% paying more.  It's going to  have to happen sooner than later. Or we start a nationals sales tax that is strictly set only to pay off the national debt.

For those of you who will say eliminate gov't agencies like IRS, EPA, Dept of Ed, USDA etc it's never going to happen.

The problem is that the lower class pay NO taxes. They do not have any skin in the game. Therefore, they are going to elect people who will promise them lots of government candy.
Thus government gets bigger.

If we DO have everyone paying taxes, they are going to vote for those who will reduce spending.