Author Topic: Trump Says Taxes for the Wealthy Should Go Up  (Read 4413 times)

Offline spacejunkie

Trump Says Taxes for the Wealthy Should Go Up
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:13:02 pm »
Donald Trump said on Sunday that taxes for the wealthy should go up but that his tax plans would likely be renegotiated with Congress should he win the U.S. presidency.

"For the wealthy I think frankly it is going to go up and, you know what, it really should go up," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told NBC's "Meet the Press."

Trump said that he see his current tax plans, which would reduce taxes for the middle class and businesses and increase those for the wealthy, as a negotiating "floor" that may change in dealings with Congress. Latest News Update Get Newsmax TV At Home »

However, he added, "when it comes time to negotiate, I feel less concerned with the rich than I do with the middle class."

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trump-taxes-need-to/2016/05/08/id/727737/

Offline spacejunkie

Re: Trump Says Taxes for the Wealthy Should Go Up
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
I hope I posted it right. Not exactly sure where the link should go.

Trump is not conservative....but....you knew that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »
And the term "the wealthy" means different groups depending on who is asked.  And it changes over time.

Like the Alternative Minimum Tax was only for the extremely wealthy...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 05:31:24 pm »
"The wealthy" includes small businessmen and entrepreneurs.

In other words, Job creators.  Trump is committed to killing jobs.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:32:10 pm »
And the term "the wealthy" means different groups depending on who is asked.  And it changes over time.

Like the Alternative Minimum Tax was only for the extremely wealthy...

The wealthy are those who make anything above minimum wage!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
No one here will admit to it but taxes are going to have to go up to pay off the debt. Even with severe cuts in spending it won't be enough.

The lower and middle class an upper middle class are tapped out.

I have zero problem with the top 5% paying more.  It's going to  have to happen sooner than later. Or we start a nationals sales tax that is strictly set only to pay off the national debt.

For those of you who will say eliminate gov't agencies like IRS, EPA, Dept of Ed, USDA etc it's never going to happen.

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:21:24 pm »
I hope I posted it right. Not exactly sure where the link should go.

Trump is not conservative....but....you knew that.

So you disagree with, "reduce taxes for the middle class"?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »
No one here will admit to it but taxes are going to have to go up to pay off the debt. Even with severe cuts in spending it won't be enough.

I have zero problem with the top 5% paying more.  It's going to  have to happen sooner than later. Or we start a nationals sales tax that is strictly set only to pay off the national debt.

For those of you who will say eliminate gov't agencies like IRS, EPA, Dept of Ed, USDA etc it's never going to happen.

The lower classes don't pay income taxes - they get free money ("negative income tax") instead, and the middle class pays a very small share. The so-called "rich" pay almost everything:
  • The share of income paid by the top 1 percent of taxpayers was 37.8 percent in 2013.
  • In 2012, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers (69.2 million filers) paid 97.2 percent of all income taxes while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 2.8 percent.
  • The top 1 percent (1.3 million filers) paid a greater share of income taxes (37.8 percent) than the bottom 90 percent (124.5 million filers) combined (30.2 percent).
  • The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a higher effective income tax rate than any other group, at 27.1 percent, which is over 8 times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.3 percent).
Now: who do you think creates all the jobs?

We cannot tax our way out of government overspending.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »
The lower classes don't pay income taxes - they get free money ("negative income tax") instead, and the middle class pays a very small share. The so-called "rich" pay almost everything:
  • The share of income paid by the top 1 percent of taxpayers was 37.8 percent in 2013.
  • In 2012, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers (69.2 million filers) paid 97.2 percent of all income taxes while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 2.8 percent.
  • The top 1 percent (1.3 million filers) paid a greater share of income taxes (37.8 percent) than the bottom 90 percent (124.5 million filers) combined (30.2 percent).
  • The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a higher effective income tax rate than any other group, at 27.1 percent, which is over 8 times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.3 percent).

My wife and I through hard work, some luck and inheritences are in the top 2-3%. We are blessed. I know all about taxes.   We are paying less federal  tax rate now than years ago before Bush dropped the top tax bracket.

We cannot pay off the debt by strictly eliminating spending..can't happen.  Taxes are going to have to be raises, SS and med taxes raised on upper income earners and benefits for these folks are going to  have to be cut back for those programs to survive.

MY Dad died last year..about a 4.2 Million estate.. He was paying less in taxes in 2014 than he was 20 years ago when he had half  the money.

My wife and I are realist..taxes are going to have to go up.

A-Lert

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 08:39:27 pm »

[/list]Now: who do you think creates all the jobs?

Who believes Hillary will reduce taxes on the middle class and reduce government spending unless it is reduced spending on the military.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 08:42:40 pm »
    I sure liked Cruz's tax plan better than this poorly thought out business-pretty-much-as-usual mishmash.

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:48:28 pm »
    My wife and I through hard work, some luck and inheritences are in the top 2-3%. We are blessed. I know all about taxes.   We are paying less federal  tax rate now than years ago before Bush dropped the top tax bracket.

We cannot pay off the debt by strictly eliminating spending..can't happen.  Taxes are going to have to be raises, SS and med taxes raised on upper income earners and benefits for these folks are going to  have to be cut back for those programs to survive.

MY Dad died last year..about a 4.2 Million estate.. He was paying less in taxes in 2014 than he was 20 years ago when he had half  the money.

goopo   Realism....... :thumbsup:

There is only one candidate who wants to make America great again, and it isn't Hillary Clinton.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »
    A national sales tax might not be the worst idea as long as it is not hidden like the corporate taxes people pay when they buy stuff. The idea that our government would use that revenue for only paying down the debt is ludicrous. They will spend it on the same kind of crap.

The idea that we can't cut spending is simply evil. We need to eliminate all corporate subsidies, of all kinds. The government should not be funding things like PB, NPR, solar power, Cowgirl Hall of Fame and all the little pet projects around the world. All of the "little things" add up. Send education back to the states and get the government out of the farm business. We could probably cut the welfare budget in half without reducing benefits by merging all the welfare programs into one program and making it a monthly cash dole.

We have had confiscatory taxes on the "rich" before, and guess what happens. It's as predictable as the sunrise.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »

The government is going to have to spend much less. The "rich" don't have nearly the money to come close to paying off the debt

http://dailysignal.com/2015/03/31/why-higher-tax-rates-dont-necessarily-mean-more-revenue/

In other words, when tax rates are higher, people change their behavior. The rich who are paying higher rates under Obama will likely work less because they get to keep less of what they earn. They are likely to delay taking capital gains and dividends. They will also shift their incomes to less-taxed forms, like health insurance and other fringe benefits. All of these changes will reduce the revenue increase from Obama’s tax hikes.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »

Your personal experiences aside, America does not have a tax problem. We have a spending problem. There is not enough money in the country, in the entire world, in fact, to meet our current unfunded liabilities. Unless you want to print $130 trillion and see what happens.
    "The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 08:58:25 pm »
    The government is going to have to spend much less. The "rich" don't have nearly the money to come close to paying off the debt

I agree 100%  I said spending is going to have to be curtailed but I have met many conservatives who think we can cut back the national debt strictly by cutting spending..we can't.

Cutting spending, raising taxes and having creditors accept less it going to be the way to make it happen.

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »
    I agree 100%  I said spending is going to have to be curtailed but I have met many conservatives who think we can cut back the national debt strictly by cutting spending..we can't.

Cutting spending, raising taxes and having creditors accept less it going to be the way to make it happen.

Common sense approach and much too scarce these days.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
    « Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:05:23 pm »

The "rich" who work  for a living and still earn money that fits the currently in vogue definition of "income" . The truly wealthy have mostly arranged their affairs in such a way that allows them to live like kings while having little to no "income".
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:30:05 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 09:05:39 pm »

If you default on the debt (having creditors accept less) nobody will ever buy government bonds again.

Do you know what that means?  No money for the wall.
    Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
    « Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 09:10:22 pm »
    I sure liked Cruz's tax plan better than this poorly thought out business-pretty-much-as-usual mishmash.

Cruz's tax plan would have actually done some positive things. Trump's is garbage! But he's already backed off of it so all is well! NOT!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
    « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 09:13:37 pm »
    A national sales tax might not be the worst idea as long as it is not hidden like the corporate taxes people pay when they buy stuff. The idea that our government would use that revenue for only paying down the debt is ludicrous. They will spend it on the same kind of crap.

The idea that we can't cut spending is simply evil. We need to eliminate all corporate subsidies, of all kinds. The government should not be funding things like PB, NPR, solar power, Cowgirl Hall of Fame and all the little pet projects around the world. All of the "little things" add up. Send education back to the states and get the government out of the farm business. We could probably cut the welfare budget in half without reducing benefits by merging all the welfare programs into one program and making it a monthly cash dole.

We have had confiscatory taxes on the "rich" before, and guess what happens. It's as predictable as the sunrise.

It is the kind of tax plan our founders unanimously approved of!  And we are a FREE people again!

http://fairtax.org
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:24:58 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline spacejunkie

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »
    Unfortunately you sound like a complete liberal. It is not a conservative position to punish a portion of society to pay for bloated programs for slugs.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:35 pm »
    If you default on the debt (having creditors accept less) nobody will ever buy government bonds again.

Do you know what that means?  No money for the wall.

Who needs credit? Mexico is going to pay for the wall. A beautiful, huuuge wall. Twelve feet... no: twenty feet high, and made out of solid gold. Bigger than freakin' Cibola! Eat your heart out, Señor Coronado!  Want to have some fun at a press conference? Ask Donald Trump who Coronado was. No, Mr. Trump, he didn't start a restaurant chain.   

Offline spacejunkie

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »
    yours is a fake conservative position. I'm for lowering taxes for EVERYONE, but making those that don't pay, pay.  Cruz's tax plan blows away the crap trump proposed. He is a full blown liberal. Whether clinton or trump, we're in a bad boat.

So you disagree with, "reduce taxes for the middle class"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
    « Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 09:23:55 pm »

But we can! All we have to do is implement tr penny plan http://www.onecentsolution.org/the-one-cent-solution/ and pass the fairtax   http://fairtax.org 

Problem solved! And we get our FREEDOM back to boot!

- J. R. R. Tolkien