Author Topic: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race  (Read 68121 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race
« Reply #700 on: May 09, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »
So, is this your farewell?

To what exactly?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #701 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »
What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

One more thing.

I am a Republican because that is the party that's best represented my political positions, my beliefs and ideals.

I've voted for Republicans because I've found things in GOP candidates that I can identify with, admire or wish to emulate.

Donald Trump's Republican Party represents nearly none of my political positions, or at least those positions that I've managed to understand or that have stayed put long enough to grow some kind of roots. The same goes for my beliefs and ideals.

I don't, in the least, identify with Trump.

I detest the way that he's run his campaign and by extension, who he is, and I have no wish to emulate him in any way.

If Trump is a representation of what the Republican Party is today, then I'm not a Republican, and I have zero issues with not voting for the Republican candidate.

Never questioned where you stand today.  Just trying to follow your earlier argument that led to a different conclusion.  No harm, no foul.   :beer:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »
Before all this started [like in 2008] I thought that was to be the goal? NO HILLARY!

Really?  So, why are you supporting trump for our candidate?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #703 on: May 09, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
To what exactly?

Well, anything really.  But I was hoping for here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #704 on: May 09, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »
To start with, unless you are tremendously prescient, you have only a feeling about how Trump would lead the government....

Nonsense.  Future actions can be quite accurately predicted by past actions.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #705 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »
Well, anything really.  But I was hoping for here.

I'll be here to spit on the Trump Presidential candidacy's grave and beyond.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #706 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:51 pm »

Since he's never officially been in political office I'm not sure how anyone knows exactly what he'll do, especially given his spending and tax proposals as well as his immigration plans all of which seem to be quite at odds with those of Hillary.  I do have a pretty accurate idea of what Hillary will do given her past actions and her proposals and promises. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #707 on: May 09, 2016, 05:56:59 pm »
Since he's never officially been in political office I'm not sure how anyone knows exactly what he'll do, especially given his spending and tax proposals as well as his immigration plans all of which seem to be quite at odds with those of Hillary.  I do have a pretty accurate idea of what Hillary will do given her past actions and her proposals and promises.

He'll do the same things he's always done, just in a slightly different environment.  His character and behaviors will remain the same.  He will actually have more power and authority, so will be even less restrained that he has been for the last 70 years.

(Oh, I went in to take the "nonsense" out, but you had already replied.  Typing on my phone encourages too short answers that can be rude.)

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #708 on: May 09, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
That's fine with me but I'm going to keep right on trashing Trump at every opportunity!

Then forget about it.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #709 on: May 09, 2016, 06:08:24 pm »

Reagan and Rick Perry were both Democrats at one time. They changed.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #710 on: May 09, 2016, 06:22:59 pm »

Yeah, Perry a few months back called Trump a "cancer on conservatism".   Nothing's changed, except Perry's ambition to be picked as the veep.   

If you're not #NeverTrump, you've sacrificed your moral authority as far as I'm concerned.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #711 on: May 09, 2016, 06:27:50 pm »
He'll do the same things he's always done, just in a slightly different environment.  His character and behaviors will remain the same.  He will actually have more power and authority, so will be even less restrained that he has been for the last 70 years.

(Oh, I went in to take the "nonsense" out, but you had already replied.  Typing on my phone encourages too short answers that can be rude.)

No problem.  Didn't take offense.  Some here have said McCain and Romney would also turn left and even today still feel they would have been no different from Obama.  I can understand going full bore to keep Trump from the nomination.  I hated thinking there seemed no realistic alternative to either him or Cruz.  But I'm also pragmatic about it.   Even if I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump, I wouldn't try to undermine the only hope of defeating Hillary...no matter how small that hope.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »

If you're not #NeverTrump, you've sacrificed your moral authority as far as I'm concerned.

:facepalm2:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »
I'm perfectly fine with Trump doing what exactly?
Finishing the job Obama started—the fundamental transformation.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2016, 06:30:40 pm »

The Democrat party used to support conservatives.  They didn't change; the party did.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2016, 06:34:20 pm »
Yeah, Perry a few months back called Trump a "cancer on conservatism".   Nothing's changed, except Perry's ambition to be picked as the veep.   

Ah, see, I was anti-Trump, then came the #neverTrump and I was fine with them. Now the #NeverTrump are attacking the anti-Trumps.

What "moral authority" did I ever claim to have? I'm a jackass on the internet like you are. I believe I have morals, but I don't have the same black and white viewpoint you do.

If you are #neverTrump fine, but personally, I believe that winning the USSC is extremely important for the nation. With Trump at least I get the side benefit of him being a hawk on immigration enforcement, and I expect his feet will be held to the fire.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #716 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »
Finishing the job Obama started—the fundamental transformation.

I thought that was Hillary's job.  She said it was, while Trump said the opposite.  But when it comes to prescience, I'm but a weed among the Redwoods here.   :whistle:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #717 on: May 09, 2016, 06:57:12 pm »
Many of the same people who then took a principled stand and refused to vote for either McCain or Romney, are today telling me that I should set my own principles aside and force myself to do what they refused to do

The maddening part is that Trump is more liberal than both Romney and McCain.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »

Romney and McCain never trashed the field like Trump does.

Yesterday, it was the field of 16.  Today it is Ryan and the Southern Baptist Minister.

Where does Robspierre stop?

Would like to have my position as a Trump realist remain tenable.

Never questioned where you stand today.  Just trying to follow your earlier argument that led to a different conclusion.  No harm, no foul.   :beer:
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

A-Lert

« Reply #719 on: May 09, 2016, 08:41:05 pm »
'cept Johnson doesn't have a chance in Hell. He's not even mentioned in the media.

Just goes to show the irrational "thinking" of the tokers and dopers.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2016, 08:51:15 pm »
Ah, see, I was anti-Trump, then came the #neverTrump and I was fine with them. Now the #NeverTrump are attacking the anti-Trumps.

No, I'm not attacking the anti-Trumps.  I'll concede my statement was too black and white.  I understand the real dilemma we all face with the awful choice we've been handed.  Those who judge Clinton to be a greater evil than Trump arrive at that position reasonably and morally.   The truth is no one knows for sure who would be worse for this nation;  I've described the choice for me as the evil I know vs. the evil I don't know.   My amazement at Trump grows by the day,  as even with the nomination in hand he continues his scorched earth campaign to divide and destroy the GOP.   I'll stick with the evil I know.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #721 on: May 09, 2016, 08:55:43 pm »

What "moral authority" did I ever claim to have? I'm a jackass on the internet like you are. I believe I have morals, but I don't have the same black and white viewpoint you do.

If you are #neverTrump fine, but personally, I believe that winning the USSC is extremely important for the nation. With Trump at least I get the side benefit of him being a hawk on immigration enforcement, and I expect his feet will be held to the fire.

WTF, sorry to jump on this, but I really want an answer and you just happened to be the most recent one who said this:  how will you/anyone hold Trump's feet to the fire on anything?  What is the method? 

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:23 pm »

Really...what does enabling Hillary do to my moral authority?

The Pols are coming around for Trump, knowing what a disaster Hillary would be. You should do the same, if only at the voting booth.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2016, 09:01:07 pm »
Really...what does enabling Hillary do to my moral authority?

How does pointing ot legitimate issues with Trump automatically mean someone is "for" Hillary in your mind?

The Pols are coming around for Trump, knowing what a disaster Hillary would be. You should do the same, if only at the voting booth.

Idolatry and Ring Kissing over the Constitution and individual liberty?

Trump needs to show US why we should vote for him...what he will do to earn MY vote...not this silly "vote for Trump or else" mentality that has infected the Trumpidians.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »
WTF, sorry to jump on this, but I really want an answer and you just happened to be the most recent one who said this:  how will you/anyone hold Trump's feet to the fire on anything?  What is the method? 

How will hold anyone's feet to the fire on anything? I know you trust Cruz, and yes he is less susceptible to "triangulating" but how would you hold his feet to the fire? Politicians all seem susceptible to this sort of thing.

Best thing to do would be to primary him out or don't vote for him next time. For me, for this one time, hey, give him a shot, maybe.

I'm not a committed Trump voter yet. I will have to see in November who I'm annoyed with more, the anti-Trump left or the pro-Trump right.

I'm just not #nevertrump right now and am will to see if he can get the support his supporters say he can.

In specific with Trump, with immigration, he'd essentially lose all support if he caved on immigration. Even the Freepers would turn on him.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:04:57 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »