Author Topic: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race  (Read 68602 times)

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Re: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2016, 04:07:45 am »
Who is left standing? Trump didn't quit and go home when the GOP financed the campaign against him. He actually fought back and won a resounding victory.

Well, with people like Roger Stone working behind the scenes to smear anyone who challenged his majesty it is no wonder.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:29 am »
The olive branch has been offered. Politics isn't for the thin skinned.  I've been an anybody but a demonrat.  My preferred candidates didn't get the nomination for over two decades. Finally we get an energetic, enthusiastic candidate that actually appears to really want to win and the GOP does everything possible to destroy him.  Is Trump imperfect, yes. Can he be an effective leader? I believe he will. I'm anxious to see who he selects for his VP because I believe he will only want to serve one term. Then I want to see who the cabinet appointees are.

You're right, it isn't for the thinned skinned. So why is it that Trump and his supporters have been reduced to a whimpering pile of jelly, full of fear; to such an extent that they've surrendered to the leftward shift in our country and now attempt to operate in that new paradigm?I've heard all of the excuses in the world, "It's realpolitik, it's reality, electability, etc." You think you have a candidate on your hands whose speaking truth to leftist power. What you have instead is a candidate who, when he wasn't being childishly vulgar and thin-skinned, threw out the 'safe red meat' in order to enrage and brainwash a mob who couldn't give a damn about limited government or constitutional principles.

It may have been a movie but Idiocracy just became a documentary. An olive branch to that? Never.

#nevertrump

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2016, 04:14:21 am »
Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson.

Staunch fiscal conservative. Kind of a hippie on social issues. But he's tolerable and did a good job.

No, seriously, I've read the Libertarian party platform, they had to shore up their open borders outlook with recent events. Everyone can go read it, it's interesting.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:51 am »
A real damned shame. We had the conservative we've been fighting for since 2009 when Rick Santelli made his impassioned plea on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade. And the American people threw him under the bus. So be it. They made their decision let them live with it.

#nevertrump
I am devastated. I fear that our Republic is over and Conservatism has been routed. I guess this is to be expected in a society that has declined to the extent ours has. The average person knows more about the Kardashians than their elected representatives. I guess they want a celebrity in the White House.

I will vote for Republicans down-ticket.  Too bad the GOP couldn't nominate a Republican for the top slot.  **nononono*
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2016, 04:18:38 am »
Well, you just go right ahead and do that. Meanwhile, a majority of this forum will be #NeverTrump.  There's nothing he nor you can do to change that.
You're right, it isn't for the thinned skinned. So why is it that Trump and his supporters have been reduced to a whimpering pile of jelly, full of fear; to such an extent that they've surrendered to the leftward shift in our country and now attempt to operate in that new paradigm?I've heard all of the excuses in the world, "It's realpolitik, it's reality, electability, etc." You think you have a candidate on your hands whose speaking truth to leftist power. What you have instead is a candidate who, when he wasn't being childishly vulgar and thin-skinned, threw out the 'safe red meat' in order to enrage and brainwash a mob who couldn't give a damn about limited government or constitutional principles.

It may have been a movie but Idiocracy just became a documentary. An olive branch to that? Never.

#nevertrump

:amen:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:19:37 am by Gov Bean Counter »

A-Lert

« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2016, 04:23:33 am »

#nevertrump

So I'm a  whimpering pile of jelly, full of fear? Really? How did you come to that conclusion after being here for such a long time? Oh but you weren't finished, now I'm enraged and a brainwashed mobster without principles.  :silly: You certainly know how to make friends and influence people.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:58 am »
So I'm a  whimpering pile of jelly, full of fear? Really? How did you come to that conclusion after being here for such a long time? Oh but you weren't finished, now I'm enraged and a brainwashed mobster without principles.  :silly: You certainly know how to make friends and influence people.

That's right, let it all out. The truth will set you free....

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2016, 04:38:49 am »
I've come to believe that some of them have been Hillary shills from day one!

I have a suspicion you're right. And I also can't help but think that if Trump should accidentally win against Hillary he'll be most surprised of anyone.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2016, 04:43:50 am »

The conclusion is evident. How is it that an individual can abandon conservative principles for a chance at winning a presidential election, adopting the mantra of the GOPe? Trump supporters have become what they once despised. Because they are afraid. Fearful of Hillary, fearful that they now live in a country that does not hold to the values they once held. So they adopt the ways and means of the left. They try to sell the remaining conservatives a line they inherited from their GOPe masters. "Don't worry. Once we've eliminated these existential threats to the United States then we will return to conservatism and you can move up from the back of the bus."  That's not the strategy of a conservative. It's the strategy of an individual who seeks to install their own strong man. They've become traitors to their own cause.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:45:01 am by The Jackal »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:07 am »
Is that real?

No. It's  a spoof twitter account. Rather cutting at times, but not real.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:00 am »
I have a suspicion you're right. And I also can't help but think that if Trump should accidentally win against Hillary he'll be most surprised of anyone.

Of course he will be surprised. Trump was totally caught off guard tonight by Cruz exiting. That is why is speech was a rambling hot mess of nothingness. What GOPer doesn't have a 2 hour speech inside of them at the ready bashing the hell out of Hitlary Clintoon? All Trump could mumble out is that she will be "Very Poor". WTF is that S?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:45 am »
Well, it's finally happened.  I can no longer call myself a Conservative Republican (which I have been for 50 years).

I am now a Conservative, because the Republican party......... as much as I tried to hang on to it and pray it reformed itself.......... has now betrayed everything it ever stood for.

Dear lady, the betrayal began well before Donaldus Minimus hit the scene (and, for all we really know,
fashioned his nomination win with at least as many non-Republican votes as Republican ones; I say
again, it'd be nice to know just what that breakdown was in all those abominable open primaries);
he merely exacerbated it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline kidd

« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2016, 05:01:46 am »
A real damned shame. We had the conservative we've been fighting for since 2009 when Rick Santelli made his impassioned plea on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade.

Yes to this.  Cruz was exactly what America needed.

Trump has some significant positives, but his support for Kelo, gay marriage, taxing the wealthy and his confused position on abortion makes it impossible for me to support him.

But I live in Connecticut. I can vote third party WITHOUT supporting the democrat. I don't intend to go negative on Trump, but I do want to provide recognition to conservative candidates. No way in hell will I vote for Clinton, no way will I vote Libertarian.

Constitution party?
Other conservative parties?

Sell me on your party. My ears are open.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:42 am »
Trump supporters all over the internet right now...

"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

A-Lert

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2016, 05:18:03 am »
The conclusion is evident. How is it that an individual can abandon conservative principles for a chance at winning a presidential election, adopting the mantra of the GOPe? Trump supporters have become what they once despised. Because they are afraid. Fearful of Hillary, fearful that they now live in a country that does not hold to the values they once held. So they adopt the ways and means of the left. They try to sell the remaining conservatives a line they inherited from their GOPe masters. "Don't worry. Once we've eliminated these existential threats to the United States then we will return to conservatism and you can move up from the back of the bus."  That's not the strategy of a conservative. It's the strategy of an individual who seeks to install their own strong man. They've become traitors to their own cause.

What is evident to any that are paying attention is that the USA is  diversified, politically, economically, racially, ethnically, religiously  and demographically  more than ever before. The times have changed. If you aren't willing to make some adjustments, as a right wing conservative, you're unlikely to ever win another election. We have to be smart and pick our fights wisely. I'm unwilling to accept  Hillary Clinton as POTUS. As a former wildland firefighter, I know you have to fight fire with fire sometimes in order to stop an inferno.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2016, 05:22:04 am »
Sell me on your party. My ears are open.

You need a Party, I gotta Party. Low mileage, clean and stylish........The Prohibition Party!!!!! Only driven to church every Sunday by a little old lady.......she lived in Brooklyn and the church was in San Diego.

Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using of vile booze!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2016, 05:33:37 am »
I hope I can stay a member of this forum even though I'm not a Republican.

I'm only a Republican when it comes to state and local politics now. Our federal goose is cooked.
The Republic is lost.

Offline washi

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2016, 05:42:46 am »
Yep. It is a shame.

For the first time since Reagan, we had the chance to elect an actual conservative to guide us back to Constitutional compliance. Many so called "conservatives" allowed themselves to be derailed from their conservatism by a cult of personality.

Trump exploited their frustration and their desire to win with his bullying tactics and his character assassination of Cruz.

Watch now, as it becomes clear that Trump lied about Cruz. That he never really thought Cruz was dishonest. It was all part of the art of the game for Trump. He'll start saying nice things about Cruz and taking back a lot of the smears he leveled against Cruz.

I hope Trump's followers poke their heads up out of the cult-of-personality fog long enough to realize this happening. Trump whipped them into a feeding frenzy against Cruz that Trump knew was based on lies and propaganda, but Trump's followers fell for hook, line, and sinker. He deftly manipulated them into pure, unadulterated, visceral haters.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Offline kidd

« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:37 am »
You need a Party, I gotta Party. Low mileage, clean and stylish........The Prohibition Party!!!!! Only driven to church every Sunday by a little old lady.......she lived in Brooklyn and the church was in San Diego.

Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using of vile booze!
I looked it up... The Prohibition party is still around (snort!). They received a whopping 518 votes in 2012.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:45 am »
What is evident to any that are paying attention is that the USA is  diversified, politically, economically, racially, ethnically, religiously  and demographically  more than ever before. The times have changed. If you aren't willing to make some adjustments, as a right wing conservative, you're unlikely to ever win another election. We have to be smart and pick our fights wisely. I'm unwilling to accept  Hillary Clinton as POTUS. As a former wildland firefighter, I know you have to fight fire with fire sometimes in order to stop an inferno.

You know, I can get behind a strategy like that. We've seen it before. The liberals dominated the news so we get Rush, Fox, the internet, TBR, etc. That's fighting fire with fire in my mind. Not wholesale capitulation of conservative ideals in order to operate in a liberally dominated country. All one has to do is look across the Atlantic to the so-called conservative parties of Europe to see what is now a part of their platform: acceptance of liberal principles but conservatively managed decline.

On Tuesday during CNN's town hall, Donald Trump was asked what he thinks are the top three functions of government. He answered, "[t]he greatest function of all by far is security for our nation. I would also say health care, I would also say education." [1]

That is the answer of an individual who has already accepted the premise of liberal orthodoxy. Those are adjustments many people are not willing to make. And that's why he has to be rejected.

[1] http://www.weeklystandard.com/you-wont-believe-what-donald-trump-thinks-the-federal-governments-top-3-roles-are/article/2001749

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2016, 05:48:19 am »
Actually, after Ted Cruz...Bernie is the most honest candidate left.

True dat. I mean with Bernie I know I'm going to have to bend over and grab ankles, but at least he'll tell me straight that that's exactly what's going to happen.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:35 am »
We live in OKC.... but have little ranch in SE Oklahoma. Cows, barns, house, river, pond, pasture, and lots of trees...... Way way off the grid.    Pretty much self sufficient there.  We'll probably be living there someday.....

As I like to say...L2A...Learn To Live Amish.
The Republic is lost.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:39 am »
Yep. It is a shame.

For the first time since Reagan, we had the chance to elect an actual conservative to guide us back to Constitutional compliance. Many so called "conservatives" allowed themselves to be derailed from their conservatism by a cult of personality.

Trump exploited their frustration and their desire to win with his bullying tactics and his character assassination of Cruz.

Watch now, as it becomes clear that Trump lied about Cruz. That he never really thought Cruz was dishonest. It was all part of the art of the game for Trump. He'll start saying nice things about Cruz and taking back a lot of the smears he leveled against Cruz.

I hope Trump's followers poke their heads up out of the cult-of-personality fog long enough to realize this happening. Trump whipped them into a feeding frenzy against Cruz that Trump knew was based on lies and propaganda, but Trump's followers fell for hook, line, and sinker. He deftly manipulated them into pure, unadulterated, visceral haters.

A-Lert

« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2016, 06:05:43 am »
You know, I can get behind a strategy like that. We've seen it before. The liberals dominated the news so we get Rush, Fox, the internet, TBR, etc. That's fighting fire with fire in my mind. Not wholesale capitulation of conservative ideals in order to operate in a liberally dominated country. All one has to do is look across the Atlantic to the so-called conservative parties of Europe to see what is now a part of their platform: acceptance of liberal principles but conservatively managed decline.

That is the answer of an individual who has already accepted the premise of liberal orthodoxy. Those are adjustments many people are not willing to make. And that's why he has to be rejected.

Yeah, why would the nation's security be a priority for the CIC and POTUS? Why would anyone want healthcare and education to be a priority? Tell me what your strategy is for getting a staunch right wing conservative elected in a presidential race. I'm all ears as I'm sure Ted Cruz would be. Please elaborate at your convenience.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:42 am »

Yeah, why would the nation's security be a priority for the CIC and POTUS? Why would anyone want healthcare and education to be a priority? Tell me what your strategy is for getting a staunch right wing conservative elected in a presidential race. I'm all ears as I'm sure Ted Cruz would be. Please elaborate at your convenience.

Nobody disputes the POTUS' constitutional duty to safeguard the United States. That's just being obtuse. What is objectionable is Trump's reflexive answer that healthcare and education is the province of the federal government. As for my strategy? Quite simple. Allow the nation to continue to decline under liberal democrat control to allow for a clear delineation of principles. It's obvious the American people have not suffered enough to bring them back to conservative constitutional principles. Trump's candidacy is a spasm of immature emotionalism. And because it has no clear direction founded in conservative principles it can only serve to muddy the waters as they are now in Europe.