Author Topic: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race  (Read 68713 times)

A-Lert

Re: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:25 am »
Well considering most are not that fond of him in the Senate, it could be a unanimous vote!  ^-^

:silly: Thank you! That made me laugh out loud. I startled the dog!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:54 am »
That's all you got?  :silly:
It's people like you...that give people like you...a bad name.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:08 am »
A-Lert, I'm running on adrenaline myself and not sleeping, but I have to take a moment to say I've been following your posts and you're doing a great job defending your position and advancing you're argument.

Of course, in my opinion, it's a waste of time trying to engage nevertrumps. They're really not worth it, as many plan on giving a half vote to Hillary Clinton--the most incompetent, corrupt politician to have ever occupied the White House.

Having said that, I would want you in my foxhole, dude.  :patriot:

A-Lert

« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2016, 07:54:40 am »
A-Lert, I'm running on adrenaline myself and not sleeping, but I have to take a moment to say I've been following your posts and you're doing a great job defending your position and advancing you're argument.

Of course, in my opinion, it's a waste of time trying to engage nevertrumps. They're really not worth it, as many plan on giving a half vote to Hillary Clinton--the most incompetent, corrupt politician to have ever occupied the White House.

Having said that, I would want you in my foxhole, dude.  :patriot:

That means a lot coming from a poster like you. Thank you. I'm glad to see you back, it gets kind of lonely around here at times.  :patriot:

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:52 am »
Now you're catching on. The GOP offers up McLunatic and Milquetoast Mitt. Just about all recent GOP candidates have been as mundane, emotionless and boring as Al Gore. Bush, Rubio, Walker, Cruz, et al all lack what  Trump displays; passion, enthusiasm, excitement and energy. He actually looks like he wants the job. We know of Trumps warts and shortcomings, it's daily fodder. WE also know that he can get things done and that he is a patriot. There are many conservatives that support Trump, including military brass, LEOs, religious leaders and politicians. We aren't all clueless dupes.

I see. So you want a cheerleader.  You're seeking validation. Trump scratches whatever particular itch ails you. Well I'm not interested in catharsis for the LIV. I'm interested in constitutional governance. The problem is Trump's shortcomings are deal breakers no matter how much enthusiasm he brings to the table. He's enthusiastically wrong on issues for conservatives. All one has to do is look back to see all the times he's had to 'revise and extend' his remarks because his initial instinct is to side with liberal orthodoxy. We saw this with Pope Francis. How many people initially came by afterwards and said, "what he really meant was..." before they gave up and realized that in his heart he was that way.

As for getting things done? Well the Presidency is more than picking up a phone to an underling and say, 'make it happen.' That has been Trump's approach to things in the business world. This is also the same mechanism by which Trump will have his slate of SCOTUS nominees picked for him. The man doesn't have the most basic understanding of the Constitution or judicial philosophy to say who is or who is not a good justice. Here's what's going to happen. Trump will announce a nominee. The push back will be so ferocious he will be forced to say, "Nevermind. Just kidding!"  That has been his modus operandi from the beginning. Because he does not have the strength of any convictions.

Like I've said Trump knew to throw out the safe red meat to endear him to the weak minded and that includes your vaunted government employees and those religious leaders whose judgement is sorely lacking.  Any religious leader who would support a candidate who believes in abortion, homo-marriage and allowing the perverted, the pathological and the predator to roam the restroom of their choice is an apostate.   

A-Lert

« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:11 am »
I see. So you want a cheerleader.  You're seeking validation. Trump scratches whatever particular itch ails you. Well I'm not interested in catharsis for the LIV. I'm interested in constitutional governance. The problem is Trump's shortcomings are deal breakers no matter how much enthusiasm he brings to the table. He's enthusiastically wrong on issues for conservatives. All one has to do is look back to see all the times he's had to 'revise and extend' his remarks because his initial instinct is to side with liberal orthodoxy. We saw this with Pope Francis. How many people initially came by afterwards and said, "what he really meant was..." before they gave up and realized that in his heart he was that way.

As for getting things done? Well the Presidency is more than picking up a phone to an underling and say, 'make it happen.' That has been Trump's approach to things in the business world. This is also the same mechanism by which Trump will have his slate of SCOTUS nominees picked for him. The man doesn't have the most basic understanding of the Constitution or judicial philosophy to say who is or who is not a good justice. Here's what's going to happen. Trump will announce a nominee. The push back will be so ferocious he will be forced to say, "Nevermind. Just kidding!"  That has been his modus operandi from the beginning. Because he does not have the strength of any convictions.

Like I've said Trump knew to throw out the safe red meat to endear him to the weak minded and that includes your vaunted government employees and those religious leaders whose judgement is sorely lacking.  Any religious leader who would support a candidate who believes in abortion, homo-marriage and allowing the perverted, the pathological and the predator to roam the restroom of their choice is an apostate.   

Your disparaging remarks do nothing to promote your "brand of conservatism". It is that haughty, superior, holier-than-thou attitude that turns off so many conservatives and Reagan democrats that are needed to defeat Hillary.

Congratulations, your efforts have not gone unnoticed. I'm sure Hillary appreciates your unintentional support. I'm assuming it is indeed unintentional, isn't it?

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2016, 08:33:11 am »
Your disparaging remarks do nothing to promote your "brand of conservatism". It is that haughty, superior, holier-than-thou attitude that turns off so many conservatives and Reagan democrats that are needed to defeat Hillary.

Congratulations, your efforts have not gone unnoticed. I'm sure Hillary appreciates your unintentional support. I'm assuming it is indeed unintentional, isn't it?

What's disparaging about them? Trump said, "Build a wall," "Ban Muslims," and like Pavlov's dogs the LIV came running. My brand of conservatism has been the one expressed going back to Goldwater if not further. What's changed is the secularist pragmatic surrendered and deluded themselves into believing they have to cede territory in the culture and political war to get the populist technocrat to fix things.

I've seen this phenomenon here in California with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Same schtick as Trump. The Mr. Fix It candidate whose not beholden to ideology. The problem with that mindset is that it disregards principle for social and economic utility.  Of course what's interesting about that type of individual is they have to forsake a lot to get their candidate of choice. Christian and Constitutional principle is thrown by the wayside to get their, "not a pastor but a plumber President." And with any mindset like that which has diminishing returns and a propensity for defining deviancy down, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan said,  the person who points out their folly is deemed to be haughty, superior and holier-than-thou.

As for Hillary? Well that's the choice Trump supporters made. In your feverish attempt to satisfy your own psychological needs you threw principled conservatives under the bus. You said screw you and your conscience. It's not us who are to blame for Hillary. It's yourselves.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:38:08 am by The Jackal »

A-Lert

« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2016, 08:46:41 am »
What's disparaging about them?

" So you want a cheerleader.  You're seeking validation. Trump scratches whatever particular itch ails you"

Those are your disparaging words are they not?

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:01 am »

As for Hillary? Well that's the choice Trump supporters made. In your feverish attempt to satisfy your own psychological needs you threw principled conservatives under the bus. You said screw you and your conscience. It's not us who are to blame for Hillary. It's yourselves.

a good man was slandered.  the people chose political theater over substance, more tyranny by executive order, cult of personality over rule of law.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:50 am »
" So you want a cheerleader.  You're seeking validation. Trump scratches whatever particular itch ails you"

Those are your disparaging words are they not?

No. By your own admission what draws you to Trump is that exact phenomenon:

Just about all recent GOP candidates have been as mundane, emotionless and boring as Al Gore. Bush, Rubio, Walker, Cruz, et al all lack what  Trump displays; passion, enthusiasm, excitement and energy. He actually looks like he wants the job.

You violated one of the first rules of politics: don't get emotional about a candidate.

A-Lert

« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2016, 09:05:27 am »
No. By your own admission what draws you to Trump is that exact phenomenon:

You violated one of the first rules of politics: don't get emotional about a candidate.

Nowhere did I mention cheerleader, the need for validation or an itch.  Anti-trumps have egos that dwarf Trumps.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2016, 09:07:21 am »

a good man was slandered.  the people chose political theater over substance, more tyranny by executive order, cult of personality over rule of law.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:34 am »
The FR childish crap should stay there.
And so should the gloating, nobody likes a sore winner.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:38 am »
Nowhere did I mention cheerleader, the need for validation or an itch.  Anti-trumps have egos that dwarf Trumps.

On the contrary #nevertrumps are the most humble of political activists. They do not possess the hubris to suggest one man with control of the federal behemoth will solve our problems. They understand, rightly, that the closer a decision is made to the people it affects is the best means for increasing liberty across the land. Trump doesn't have the first clue about federalism.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2016, 09:13:51 am »
I had to learn this myself.  Figured I'd pass on a friendly piece of advice where ...errr...A-lert is concerned.

Mod edit: Watch the personal attacks please.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:31:31 am by Mod2 »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:17 am »

Constitution party?
Other conservative parties?

Sell me on your party. My ears are open.

http://gunsanddopeparty.net/

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

A-Lert

« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:26 am »
And so should the gloating, nobody likes a sore winner.

Where have I gloated?

A-Lert

« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2016, 09:16:51 am »
On the contrary #nevertrumps are the most humble of political activists. They do not possess the hubris to suggest one man with control of the federal behemoth will solve our problems. They understand, rightly, that the closer a decision is made to the people it affects is the best means for increasing liberty across the land. Trump doesn't have the first clue about federalism.

Hubris? The cry about Cruz being our last chance? Spare me.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2016, 09:23:22 am »
Hubris? The cry about Cruz being our last chance? Spare me.

That's right. He was the only one in the race who understood the principles of federalism and state's rights and was willing to apply them in office. His tenure in the Senate and as TX solicitor general supports that. See Medellin v. Texas. It's not hubris when its factual. Nobody else is going to. Not Hillary and certainly not Trump who thinks he will fix American through sheer force of will and personality. That's hubris.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:47 am »

I should have figured. Thanks for the heads up.

A-Lert

« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:46 am »
That's right. He was the only one in the race who understood the principles of federalism and state's rights and was willing to apply them in office. His tenure in the Senate and as TX solicitor general supports that. See Medellin v. Texas. It's not hubris when its factual. Nobody else is going to. Not Hillary and certainly not Trump who thinks he will fix American through sheer force of will and personality. That's hubris.

Understanding the principles and convincing others to support and put them into practice are two different things.  If you lack the ability to lead and persuade all the knowledge of the principles and laws are fruitless. 

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:11 am »

So who is the Libertarian candidate?

Not chosen yet.  Most likely Gary Johnson, solid credentials, and sure to get my vote under present circumstanances. I hope they don't go with John McAfee, who is somewhere between shady and crazy.  The third fellow vying for their nomination is Austin Petersen about whom I know nothing.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2016, 09:53:28 am »
Your "Brand of conservatism" is so exclusive that it couldn't win a primary.

No, American conservatism won plenty of primaries, in years past, and even this year when Trump managed to detach American nationalism from American conservatism.  Making America great again, when done by returning to the Founding principles would be a grand thing.  Making America great again by lots of deal making with no fealty to the American conception of limited and divided government is a recipe for the destruction of the Republic.

Obama was already a Caesar.  We now face a choice between two Augustus-wannabes thanks to emotion-voting voters in the GOP primaries. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2016, 09:56:38 am »
The Republic is now lost beyond all hope of redemption because of the decadence, corruption, and ignorance of a majority of the American people, not only liberals but a significant number of Conservatives who prefer to cast their lot in with a crass conman who tells them what they want to hear rather than support a true defender of the Constitution. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:57:22 am by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

A-Lert

« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2016, 10:07:10 am »
No, American conservatism won plenty of primaries, in years past, and even this year when Trump managed to detach American nationalism from American conservatism.  Making America great again, when done by returning to the Founding principles would be a grand thing.  Making America great again by lots of deal making with no fealty to the American conception of limited and divided government is a recipe for the destruction of the Republic.

Obama was already a Caesar.  We now face a choice between two Augustus-wannabes thanks to emotion-voting voters in the GOP primaries.

Years past. The US today isn't the US of the Reagan years. Look at the number of states decriminalizing marijuana. How are you going to persuade the dopers to stop using dope? Do you have a viable solution?