Author Topic: Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump  (Read 20020 times)

Offline sinkspur

Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »
http://theresurgent.com/convert-or-die-living-in-the-age-of-trump/

Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump

By Erick Erickson  |  March 19, 2016, 10:39am

Last night, as my family went to bed, a man in a car parked just down our driveway. He and his coworker roaming the neighborhood are the security now part of my life. It is the age of Trump.

In 2011 and 2012, I actively campaigned against Mitt Romney. In November of 2011, I had written that Romney would lose to Obama and conservatives would get blamed. That happened. He was a terrible candidate. But Romney supporters, despite vigorous disagreement, were not hurling threats my way or toward my family. They were not calling advertisers to my radio station making threats.

In fact, the only time I have ever experienced what is now happening is from far left activists outraged over my position on gay marriage. Those radical gay rights activists have appeared once or twice in my neighborhood. They have hounded advertisers and made threats. I’ve even once been swatted.

But even these radical activists were not as aggrieved or angry as Trump supporters. The new reality in which my family and I live is that of going to bed at night with security parked at the end of the driveway and our movements more regulated for our own protection.

In the Age of Trump, the worst and basest instincts of humanity are on display. Like the Islamic radicals they rail against, Trump supporters have adopted a “convert or die” attitude. They will not persuade you to the merits of Trump. They will not defend Trump. They will harass you, censor you, wish for your death, and threaten to kill you if you do not convert.

Donald U Akbar.

Here, for example, is one person who left this marvel at my radio station. This is one of the tame ones I can play on my radio show. This person, you will hear, left one message and then felt so emboldened that he called back. This was at the start of last week when I was on air fighting bronchitis and pneumonia.

(Listen to audio at link)

The even more striking thing about that audio is that, having played it on radio, Trump supporters called and made two distinct claims. The first was that it was a fraud and I had a friend do it. The second was that the man never mentioned Trump so I was clearly implying it was a Trump supporter with no evidence.

Then there is this gem from a lady in Wyoming. Mind you, my radio show is a local show in Atlanta, GA. But she will not be deterred.

(Listen to audio at link)

It is worth noting that I have never really experienced this from Obama supporters. Nor have I experienced it from Romney supporters when I actively opposed his nomination.

This comes from a dark, angry place. It comes from a place in the shadows. Many of these people have been only barely active in politics. It is clear from conversations they do not know the lay of the land. “Establishment” is their rallying cry, where their usage of that word means people who oppose Trump, as opposed to the reality of the word. Few of them know their local congressman. Few have been involved in outside conservative groups trying to force the GOP to do the right thing.

But they are angry. Trump has given them someone to rally to and they identify with him and clearly feel they can be as vulgar and abusive as him. Perhaps because it works so well for Trump they think it will work well for them too.

So the rest of us must convert or die. There will be no campaign pitch. There will be no artful persuasion. As they are already announcing on social media, people will either have to get on their “Trump train” or get run over. The result will actually wind up being a bunch of people committed to blowing up the rails.

Americans do not convert or die, and that is why the Trump movement is fundamentally not an American movement. It is an aggressively authoritarian movement championed by people who think desperate times call for desperate measures. It will end badly for many.

The media, which fed the beast, will be consumed by it. The free airtime, once gone in the general, will show the biases of the press to Trump supporters and they will come with boycott and violence. Trump and his cheerleaders too will not fare well when, should Trump decide he must pivot to build a general election coalition, betrays his radicals.

As for conservatives, our ways are not their ways. We do not have to take the “convert or die” attitude. We do not have to wish death or make death threats or call for boycotts or hound people from their jobs and careers. We just need to keep pointing out basic truths. The Trump phenomenon will eventually consume itself. It is a wildfire that will run out of fuel. The problem for the nation, however, is that it will wreck havoc across the land before doing so. And it is clear, for now, Donald Trump does not care.

UPDATE: The Trump supporters have weighed in.

(Go to link, most of these tweets can't be posted on a respectable board)
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:00:33 pm »
As they are already announcing on social media, people will either have to get on their “Trump train” or get run over.

GBR has not been spared some of the same sentiment.

Offline Carling

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »
I thought this thread would be about Islam in the western world.

Nice priorities, sinkspur.   :pondering:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:24:45 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 05:26:13 pm »
As they are already announcing on social media, people will either have to get on their “Trump train” or get run over.

GBR has not been spared some of the same sentiment.

Same thing with the GOProg train, just more passengers here than in the actual voting booth.  Kasich in a brokered convention!!  :silly:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:27:00 pm by Carling »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 05:38:21 pm »

Oh for Pete's sake this is just ridiculously over the top nonsense.

Am I supposed to take you seriously or are you deliberately trying to make me laugh?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:48:58 pm »

Is that your best post possible ??

There are probably Trump supporters among your neighbors, friends, family. Do you call them names like that to their faces, or just behind the anonymity of the internet ??

You are spouting the exact same thing as the Bernie mobs, the Black Lives Matter mobs, etc.

I suggest you reconsider who you associate with, and where you find your material.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:11:36 pm »

I said this months ago.  When he called for a ban of an entire religious group from our nation.  That has been seen before in history.

And now we have a group of Trump supporters, the "Lion Guard" (lionsoftrump.net) now active to protect Trump and his interests.  I think they get a gold shirt, too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:12:57 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »
Banning an entire religious group from a nation has been seen before in history.

Hyperbolic nonsense.  How am I supposed to take you people seriously?  Are you in favor of allowing Syrian "refugees" into the USA with zero way to vet them?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:13:16 pm by Carling »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 06:22:37 pm »
Is that your best post possible ??

There are probably Trump supporters among your neighbors, friends, family. Do you call them names like that to their faces, or just behind the anonymity of the internet ??

You are spouting the exact same thing as the Bernie mobs, the Black Lives Matter mobs, etc.

I suggest you reconsider who you associate with, and where you find your material.

My thoughts are based on what I see and that is the best reality that I have.  When I see Trump making fun of a man for questioning the vulgarity he uses in the presence of children it makes an impact on me.   When I see Trump flaunt his money by saying he will pay legal fees for people.  It impacts my thoughts about him and how it has worked up his followers to be equally vulgar offensive and violent.  And yes I can see similarities to Hitler.  Sorry but its true.  He worked up his followers to be his force for his Nazi government.  Without his supporters he would not have been able to commit genocide.  He created a line.  Us and them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:26:16 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 06:40:03 pm »
Oh for Pete's sake this is just ridiculously over the top nonsense.
Erickson has to have bodyguards because of the threatening messages from those who don't like what he's written.  Is that over the top, too?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 06:42:05 pm »
My thoughts are based on what I see and that is the best reality that I have.  When I see Trump making fun of a man for questioning the vulgarity he uses in the presence of children it makes an impact on me.   When I see Trump flaunt his money by saying he will pay legal fees for people.  It impacts my thoughts about him and how it has worked up his followers to be equally vulgar offensive and violent.  And yes I can see similarities to Hitler.  Sorry but its true.  He worked up his followers to be his force for his Nazi government.  Without his supporters he would not have been able to commit genocide.  He created a line.  Us and them.

You know nothing about life in Germany those times. Or Italy either. Did you know that it was Mussolini that inspired Hitler?

Have you ever talked with ordinary people from either country, from those times ??

You really ought to get out, with your anti-Trump compadres, and block some streets, demonstrate and riot, call people Hitler, etc.

It will work great. Or better, study history. Look at 1968 and the democrat convention in Chicago. Those people shouted Hitler, etc.

Good luck with history. Some of us know a whole lot more than you, and we know you are entirely off base.

It is the people OPPOSED to Trump, that are acting out fascism right now on live TV.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HonestJohn

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »
You know nothing about life in Germany those times. Or Italy either. Did you know that it was Mussolini that inspired Hitler?

Have you ever talked with ordinary people from either country, from those times ??

You really ought to get out, with your anti-Trump compadres, and block some streets, demonstrate and riot, call people Hitler, etc.

It will work great. Or better, study history. Look at 1968 and the democrat convention in Chicago. Those people shouted Hitler, etc.

Good luck with history. Some of us know a whole lot more than you, and we know you are entirely off base.

It is the people OPPOSED to Trump, that are acting out fascism right now on live TV.

When a Holocaust survivor writes that they see similarities in Trump's campaign and his experiences in WWII... it puts your claim to rest.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,199108.0.html

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:49 pm »
This is conservatives ugliest hour.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 07:54:25 pm »

You need to get a library card and study a little history.  :whistle:

Offline Carling

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »

By the way, thanks for the new signature!  It epitomizes the TDS gang perfectly!   :beer: :seeya:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:08 pm »
True, but I'll bet not a single one is a Republican. They're leftwingers. Perhaps  your fellow posters here at GBR shouldn't be falsely accused of supporting them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Carling

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 08:02:58 pm »
When a Holocaust survivor writes that they see similarities in Trump's campaign and his experiences in WWII... it puts your claim to rest.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,199108.0.html

What does Gene have to say about the very real and very current Holocaust against Christians occurring in Iraq, Syria, NIgeria, and other Islamic nations?

I can't find any of his writings on this genocide.  Why is that?

Offline Mod1

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »
Carling, please change your signature. It constitutes a personal attack on a fellow poster.

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:00 pm »
Carling, please change your signature. It constitutes a personal attack on a fellow poster.

How is posting someone's own words a personal attack?  I'll take the name off of it but it's 100% a factual post.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:06:35 pm by Carling »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »
What does Gene have to say about the very real and very current Holocaust against Christians occurring in Iraq, Syria, NIgeria, and other Islamic nations?

I can't find any of his writings on this genocide.  Why is that?

So you agree with Gene that Trump is a threat with similarities to the Holocaust.  You didn't contest that.

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:14 pm »
So you agree with Gene that Trump is a threat with similarities to the Holocaust.  You didn't contest that.

I didn't say a word about Gene's opinion.  Can you read?  Where would you get the impression that I agree with it?

Offline Mod1

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 08:08:01 pm »
How is posting someone's own words a personal attack?  I'll take the name off of it but it's 100% a factual post.
Take out the name and/or "dumbest post ever." It's really isn't that complicated.

Offline flowers

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 08:13:25 pm »
Take out the name and/or "dumbest post ever." It's really isn't that complicated.
Yet nothing to the OP of that comment?This place is sinking faster into the muck each day. Members getting time outs defending themselves and the OP are getting NOTHING. Since this is the kind of place you all want.....stew in your own juices.

One more thing this place now reminds me of the DUmp. 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:19:24 pm by flowers »

Offline Mod1

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »
Yet nothing to the OP of that comment?This place is sinking faster into the muck each day. Members getting time outs defending themselves and the OP are getting NOTHING. Since this is the kind of place you all want.....stew in your own juices.
No timeout was threatened in this instance, just a request. But personal attacks are not tolerated no matter who makes them.

Just fyi, timeouts have been issued for posters who don't support Trump and for those who do. There really is no bias. We are trying to be fair, and to keep the conversation here focused on the candidates and the issues.