Author Topic: Trumping himself: Has the Donald gone too far in calling Iraq war ‘a big fat mistake’? (how to stymie Donald Trump)  (Read 12062 times)

HAPPY2BME

RT

RT: There's still plenty of time left before the Republicans choose a candidate to run against the Democratic nominee for the presidency. What sort of tactics could be used to take down Trump before the Republican National Convention in July, if you think they don’t want him to be the candidate for their party?

TR: At this point, the Republican Party does not have the super-delegate system that the Democratic Party is using to try to stymie Bernie Sanders’ insurgency against Hillary Clinton. But what the Republicans could do is try to broker in advance a coalition between his rivals so that they are not dividing up the anti-Trump vote. Right now, Trump is running about 44 percent in national polls. So obviously 44 per cent is not 51 percent. If two or three of these primary rivals were to agree to drop out and endorse one of the remaining ones for example, one of the stronger ones, like, for example, Texas Senator Ted Cruz, or Marco Rubio from Florida, then you could see a scenario, in which Trump could be stymied possibly before the Republican convention.

Donald Trump seems to be playing for a general election candidacy and is completely breaking Reagan’s 11th Commandment, which says that one should never speak ill of fellow Republicans, says Ted Rall, American political author and cartoonist.

The six GOP candidates for president clashed Saturday in a final debate ahead of the crucial February 20 South Carolina primary. Frontrunner Donald Trump had a series of fierce exchanges with his rivals, during which he accused George W Bush of “not keeping America safe” by failing to prevent the 9/11 attacks and called the Iraq War “a big fat mistake” that “destabilized the Middle East.”

The six GOP candidates for president clashed Saturday in a final debate ahead of the crucial February 20 South Carolina primary. Frontrunner Donald Trump had a series of fierce exchanges with his rivals, during which he accused George W Bush of “not keeping America safe” by failing to prevent the 9/11 attacks and called the Iraq War “a big fat mistake” that “destabilized the Middle East.”

RT: From relations with Russia to the war on terror - Donald Trump's position is in stark contrast to the rest of the Republican camp. How is Trump able to garner so much support from the party's voters?

Ted Rall: It really is remarkable. Trump is completely breaking the idea that the Republican commandment that was enunciated by Ronald Reagan – that one should never criticize a fellow Republican, in this case President George W. Bush who invaded Iraq, and all the Republicans on stage who supported the war and support militarism in general. Trump seems to be playing for a general election candidacy. If he is the Republican nominee, this will help him to run against Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton, whoever is the Democratic nominee in the fall. I don’t even know if this is something that you can even say is a tactic or a strategy, as much as just something he is trying out. It didn’t play very well in the audience in South Carolina. But the real audience is on television. It remains to be seen how the vast majority of the American people, who do believe, according to the polls, that the Iraq War was a mistake, will take this. It may be that Iraq is just isn’t going to be a major issue this year.

RT: In compote contrast with other Republicans on that debating panel, Donald Trump seems friendly to Russia. Why is there such a contrast?

TR: I think he is more of a realist. This is a businessman, someone who has had a lot of international dealings around the world, including in Russia. He recognizes the fact that, for example, in Syria Russia has taken a decisive role in combating the Islamic State. The US has been more dithering and has even done more harm than good by – in some cases – backing radical jihadists. He even floated the idea of possibly working with Iran, which is something that he has sort of skirted recently. It seems that he is more of an international realist and he doesn’t need a lot of preconditions to talk to other countries and other rivals of the US including Russia.

RT: Trump is certainly a successful businessman and entertainer, but does he really have what it takes to run the White House?

TR: Yes, that is the question that everyone in the US and possibly around the world is increasingly having to ask. He has been asked what he would do, and his answer seems to be: “Well, I don’t really know, but I’ll hire really great people and figure it out, if I get in.” I don’t know if that is enough, but that is what he is offering.

RT: There's still plenty of time left before the Republicans choose a candidate to run against the Democratic nominee for the presidency. What sort of tactics could be used to take down Trump before the Republican National Convention in July, if you think they don’t want him to be the candidate for their party?

TR: At this point, the Republican Party does not have the super-delegate system that the Democratic Party is using to try to stymie Bernie Sanders’ insurgency against Hillary Clinton. But what the Republicans could do is try to broker in advance a coalition between his rivals so that they are not dividing up the anti-Trump vote. Right now, Trump is running about 44 percent in national polls. So obviously 44 per cent is not 51 percent. If two or three of these primary rivals were to agree to drop out and endorse one of the remaining ones for example, one of the stronger ones, like, for example, Texas Senator Ted Cruz, or Marco Rubio from Florida, then you could see a scenario, in which Trump could be stymied possibly before the Republican convention.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/332416-trump-iraq-us-elections/

HAPPY2BME

stymie

: : to stop (someone) from doing something or to stop (something) from happening
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:16:10 pm by HAPPY2BME »

Offline sinkspur

So now Trump supporters are quoting a cretin like TED RALL to bolster their man?

In 2004, The New York Times dumped him—even cleaned out the archives of his work—for a cartoon called “Terror Widows” that depicted the wives of September 11 victims greedily counting the riches they received in settlements. He also harshly criticized Pat Tillman—after he died—depicting the star Arizona Cardinal who left the NFL to serve in the military as asking a recruiter, “Never mind the fine print. Will I get to kill Arabs?”

http://observer.com/2015/08/in-defense-of-ted-rall-a-hard-guy-to-defend/
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HAPPY2BME

Offline Right_in_Virginia

None of this would be part of the election if Jebbie had sought employment elsewhere.

What a disaster his candidacy is.   **nononono*

Offline sinkspur

You must be in heaven, HAPPY2BEME.

This conspiracy nonsense is right up your alley.

Offline sinkspur

None of this would be part of the election if Jebbie had sought employment elsewhere.

What a disaster his candidacy is.   **nononono*

Yeah,it's Bush's fault that Trump's conspiracy nuttiness is on the front pages today.

Yeah, it's Bush's fault that Trump's conspiracy nuttiness is on the front pages today. 

Yes, yes it is Jebbie's fault.  Thanks to Jebbie and his "don't attack my family"-- Republicans are now forced to run in part on or in part away from the Bush II legacy--both the wars and the economy.

When are we finally free of this Bush quagmire?   

Offline sinkspur

Yes, yes it is Jebbie's fault.  Thanks to Jebbie and his "don't attack my family"-- Republicans are now forced to run in part on or in part away from the Bush II legacy--both the wars and the economy.

Is there no level of absurdity that you Trumpies won't sink to?

HAPPY2BME

I have one question for Happy, does he believe the GWB purposely lied about WMDs?

===================================

My son spent three years in Iraq.  Four of his men were killed while taking Baghdad.

He tells me there was no WMD.

I believe him.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Making it personal.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

===================================

My son spent three years in Iraq.  Four of his men were killed while taking Baghdad.

He tells me there was no WMD.

I believe him.

You didn't answer the question.  Silence means consent.

HAPPY2BME

Making it personal.

===========================

We are dealing with cowards here.

Offline sinkspur

===========================

We are dealing with cowards here.

We are dealing with a conspiracy nut who wants to be president.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Trumping himself: Has the Donald gone too far in calling Iraq war ‘a big fat mistake’? (how to stymie Donald Trump)"

Just because I don't like him,that doesn't mean he's always wrong or always speaking to enrich himself.

The Iraq War was probably the biggest mistake this country ever made,and it was made because Saudi Arabia paid off the Bush Crime Family and prominent congresscritters  to take Hussein out and destroy Iraq's army so the Saud Royal Family would be safe.

I am NOT saying Boy Jorge purposely committed treason for profit. Frankly,I think he was and is a good-hearted and well-meaning man,but he is so stupid he probably needs help crossing the street. Everything he did he did at the demand of his family and handlers. IMHO,he thought it was a good thing to do and believed  what his handlers told him,or he wouldn't have done it.

What we SHOULD have done was continued to supply Hussein with military weapons and then stand back and watch the Muslims do what they do best,which is murder each other while committing tribal warfare.

Hussein's Iraq was never any threat to the US,and even though I don't give a damn what happens to Israel because she can take care of herself,they were never a threat to Israel,either. They WERE a threat to the Saud family though because every tribal leader in the Muddle East wants to become the ruler of a United Arabia and in that Hussein was no different than the Saud king.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Longiron

I have one question for Happy, does he believe the GWB purposely lied about WMDs?

You might be want to think about bring up the BUSH years?

:whistle:

http://truth-out.org/archive/component/k2/item/63127:george-w-bush-and-kenneth-lay

HonestJohn

Conservatives value personal responsibility.  How does "I support Donald Trump because Jeb makes me!"  fit that?

We all support a candidate because they come close to our beliefs and values.  If one supports Trump, that's because he is the closest to one's personal views.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:38:46 pm by HonestJohn »

Wingnut

We are dealing with a conspiracy nut who wants to be president.

who also also suffers from Affluenza

Conservatives value personal responsibility.  How does "I support Donald Trump because Jeb makes me!"  fit that? 

Jeb Bush hasn't the power to make me do anything--anything at all, but especially vote for him.

Jeb's mere presence, never mind his admonition that we "leave his family alone" make Bush II fair game and a fair target in this race.  And Bush II is the absolute last issue we need in this race if we're going to win it.  I know Jeb's been unemployed for nine years, but I wish he had chosen a job better suited to him.  Jeb standing on his brother's shoulders will be just high enough to lose this thing for all us.

It was Trump bringing up the Bush years.

Oh, okay.  I guess we should just ignore Jebbie talking about his mom and brother during the debates.  Not to mention the big rally with Bush II as the lead.

Come on--Jeb's bringing the whole dynasty to his rescue.   **nononono*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:56:21 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Paladin

Slithering into personal attacks once again.

Big surprise.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Oh, okay.  I guess we should just ignore Jebbie talking about his mom and brother during the debates.  Not to mention the big rally with Bush II as the lead.

Come on--Jeb's bringing the whole dynasty to his rescue.   **nononono*

You just know that Jebbie is going home at night and crying into his pillow over having to get his "slow and less worthy" brother to come in to rally support for him.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Donald Trump seems to be playing for a general election candidacy and is completely breaking Reagan’s 11th Commandment, which says that one should never speak ill of fellow Republicans, says Ted Rall, American political author and cartoonist."

As a very observant member of this forum wrote a few months' back, Trump isn't running as only a Republican.

He may be registered as a Republican.
He may be filling out the forms for Republican primaries, dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

But he's running as a third-party candidate "within the Republican edifice", so to speak.

So anyone can fall within his sights, regardless of which side of the political aisle they're from.

And during this political cycle, Republican voters are -more angry- at the elected Republicans and party hacks on their own side, than they are at the democrats.

Reagan's "11th commandment" may have been true in 1980, but times have changed. The Republican base knows as a matter of course that the democrats are the enemy. It sticks in their craw that too many elected Republicans do nothing to oppose them.

Trump understands that, uses it to his advantage, and that's why he's winning.

HAPPY2BME

Reagan's "11th commandment" may have been true in 1980, but times have changed. The Republican base knows as a matter of course that the democrats are the enemy. It sticks in their craw that too many elected Republicans do nothing to oppose them.

Trump understands that, uses it to his advantage, and that's why he's winning.

==============================

Its based on trust, and the GOPe has completely burned any trust with conservatives they had by continually lying to us over the past twenty years.

Good summary, BTW.

Offline sinkspur

==============================

Its based on trust, and the GOPe has completely burned any trust with conservatives they had by continually lying to us over the past twenty years.

Good summary, BTW.

So you turn to a savior who was a Democrat until the day before yesterday and is not a conservative.

Makes perfect sense.