Author Topic: Carson Fabricated West Point Story  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Carling

Carson Fabricated West Point Story
« on: November 06, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »
I like the guy, but he's turning out to be a liar and a crackpot with even minimal vetting.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598?cmpid=sf

Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Carson Fabricated West Point Story
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 04:56:10 pm »
The list is getting shorter and shorter. I wish the media would scrutinize the Dems this much.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:56:31 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:59:46 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598

Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship

Carson's campaign on Friday admitted that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated.

By Kyle Cheney

11/06/15 11:29 AM EST

Updated 11/06/15 11:34 AM EST

Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

The academy has occupied a central place in Carson’s tale for years. According to a story told in Carson’s book, “Gifted Hands,” the then-17 year old was introduced in 1969 to Gen. William Westmoreland, who had just ended his command of U.S. forces in Vietnam, and the two dined together. That meeting, according to Carson’s telling, was followed by a “full scholarship” to the military academy.

West Point, however, has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.

“In 1969, those who would have completed the entire process would have received their acceptance letters from the Army Adjutant General,” said Theresa Brinkerhoff, a spokeswoman for the academy. She said West Point has no records that indicate Carson even began the application process. “If he chose to pursue (the application process) then we would have records indicating such,” she said.

When presented with this evidence, Carson’s campaign conceded the story was false.

“Dr. Carson was the top ROTC student in the City of Detroit,” campaign manager Barry Bennett wrote in an email to POLITICO. “In that role he was invited to meet General Westmoreland. He believes it was at a banquet. He can’t remember with specificity their brief conversation but it centered around Dr. Carson’s performance as ROTC City Executive Officer.”

continued

buh bye
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:01:22 pm »

Disappointing, but in politics, enhanced resumes do not necessarily end political careers. Witness Hillary, Biden, Obama, many others.  **nononono*

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:02:15 pm »
Disappointing, but in politics, enhanced resumes do not necessarily end political careers. Witness Hillary, Biden, Obama, many others.  **nononono*

It does for Repubs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 05:03:34 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »
Wow. 

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:12:27 pm »
Republicans generally only get one or two lies.  The Democrats get 7,809.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »
I still think Carson is a nice guy, but I don't want him to be our nominee.  He seems to be picking up more and more baggage along the way and you just know they are sitting on stuff to leak out if he does become the nominee.

Of course, it's not just him - ANY Republican is going to go through this.  Carson makes me especially uneasy because I think (I - MY personal opinion) he has some kooky beliefs that pertain to his religion that will be exploited 24/7 - and now this.  If he fabricates one thing, he'll fabricate other things.

Plus, I think he could very well be another Jimmy Carter president.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »
Something was going to happen with him, sooner or later. His SoCon and religious base will forgive, but the slippage will begin in earnest. Good guy, he had his bubble.  He wasn't going to be elected regardless, everyone can see that.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »
Rush is laying out a good commentary on this making the case that Politico is the one really lying here. Still, the knives are now out for him. The media wants to make sure their golden boy is the one at the top of the list because he drives ratings. Can't have the quiet guy on top.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 06:02:22 pm »
Well there goes Carson. Just significantly increased the chance of a GOPe nominee winning now.

Conservatives better start praying hard there is no "gotcha" type items in Cruz or Trumps background, Trump gets control over his mouth, and Cruz does a significant re-think of his "Vat Tax".  Based on where are now, it is probably going to be  Rubio as the GOPe nominee and President Hillary Clinton in 2017

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »
Rush is laying out a good commentary on this making the case that Politico is the one really lying here. Still, the knives are now out for him. The media wants to make sure their golden boy is the one at the top of the list because he drives ratings. Can't have the quiet guy on top.

Rush is making the case that a young Ben Carson thought Westmoreland was offering him a scholarship.  If that is the case, why doesn't Carson just say something like, "Huh, I thought that what I was being offered was a scholarship - I've thought that all this time".

Instead, this is the quote from the article:

When presented with these facts, Carson’s campaign conceded the story was false.

Not good.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:39 pm »
Well there goes Carson. Just significantly increased the chance of a GOPe nominee winning now.

Conservatives better start praying hard there is no "gotcha" type items in Cruz or Trumps background, Trump gets control over his mouth, and Cruz does a significant re-think of his "Vat Tax".  Based on where are now, it is probably going to be  Rubio as the GOPe nominee and President Hillary Clinton in 2017

Considering how much :baghead: has been in front of the cameras for the past 30 years including things like the WWE, pitching for MLM diet pills, and a fake university, I am sure they have a whole lot waiting on him once they milk him for all the ratings they can get. He is their ratings golden boy now so they can't take him out too soon. Now, it is just a lot of mouthing off between him and the media like a scripted WWE storyline.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 06:08:19 pm »
Rush is making the case that a young Ben Carson thought Westmoreland was offering him a scholarship.  If that is the case, why doesn't Carson just say something like, "Huh, I thought that what I was being offered was a scholarship - I've thought that all this time".

Instead, this is the quote from the article:

Not good.

..they are not handling the media well at all. His campaign manager, Barry Bennett, was on TV the other day and he came across as a used car salesman. If they are going to play in this big league, they need some major marketing expertise.  (of course, marketing has always been a big failure point of the right that we have yet to overcome.)

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »

I have to somewhat agree with you.  I think this will propel Rubio to maybe second place.  The GOP establishment has used Fiorina, now Carson - propping them up to take down Trump - who they cannot control in the usual way.  Now, it will be Rubio's turn at bat. 

I can live with Rubio as nominee easier than Carson - but I fear that Rubio has some skeletons in his closet, perhaps financial - that the establishment will help to make "go away" in exchange for him doing their bidding. 

Interesting to watch.

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 06:13:38 pm »
Carson's campaign manager's twitter account.
https://twitter.com/bbennett152

Shows a deep lack of understanding of how to use social media, unprofessional mix of personal and campaign comments, inability to frame and stick with a solid message, and has fewer followers than my grandmother (OK, not really on the last one, but my local oriented twitter account has about 4x the followers).

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
I think so long as the essential story is true -- that Carson was in the ROTC and rose to the top in his region -- the embellishment about having been offered a scholarship to West Point is somewhat irrelevant.  A minority kid with those credentials was going to be able to pretty much write his own ticket regardless, and I am sure there were many people who told him so.  Whether he actually got a scholarship offer, or would have had he applied (which looks to be the case), is a fairly hazy line.  The point of the story remains the same.

I frankly don't think it amounts to much.  I am saddened by the degree to which the MSM seems hell-bent to destroy this man.  He is being "Clarence Thomased" because they cannot allow a conservative to be admired in the African-American community. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:20:38 pm by massadvj »

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »
No, Ben Carson Didn't Lie About West Point. It's Another Media Hit Job.

Never underestimate the capacity of the media to propagandize against Republicans.

That’s the theme of this morning’s overwrought news coverage on Dr. Ben Carson’s supposed “lie” regarding a “scholarship” to West Point. The story began with Politico, which ran with the audacious headline, “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship.” Even I was taken in by the headline – after all, that’s a pretty bold claim!....

http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/no-ben-carson-didnt-lie-about-west-point-its-ben-shapiro?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=110615-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 06:21:16 pm »
I have to somewhat agree with you.  I think this will propel Rubio to maybe second place.  The GOP establishment has used Fiorina, now Carson - propping them up to take down Trump - who they cannot control in the usual way.  Now, it will be Rubio's turn at bat. 

I can live with Rubio as nominee easier than Carson - but I fear that Rubio has some skeletons in his closet, perhaps financial - that the establishment will help to make "go away" in exchange for him doing their bidding. 

Interesting to watch.

Rubio does have skeletons in his closet; it's called lying about his stance on illegal immigration in order to get elected to the Senate and then once in the Senate, his votes and attendance are scarce and then he opts out of his job as Senator to campaign for president. 

So...the playing field is starting to thin itself out a bit.  I see this as dropping Carson in the polls.  I think you will see Trump, Cruz  and Rubio.  If Bush continues to poll poorly, it will drop him into the bottom tier. 

On the other hand, polls are just that polls.  It will be interesting to see what happens once people start voting in the primaries.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
More non Truth by the LIB media. Carson did not even apply to West Point. He meet with Gen Westmoreland at a ROTC banquet and the Gen told him to go to West Point and what the advantages were and they would put him on scholarship. EVERYONE at any Service Academy is on scholarship??. Rather than explaining to Carson who was 17 at the time how it would be paid for he used the common term Scholarship. Of course that was never explained in the HIT piece was designed to make CARSON is a LIAR! The above courtesy of RUSH today? :patriot:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:50:12 pm by Longiron »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »
If you're explaining, you're losing.

Carson is just plain weird and the more that comes out about him, the weirder he looks.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/no-ben-carson-didnt-lie-about-west-point-its-ben-shapiro?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=110615-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

No, Ben Carson Didn't Lie About West Point. It's Another Media Hit Job.

See the media, not Carson is the liar.

At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, We had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 07:01:39 pm »
Oh, the drama of it all. Gotta measure up in every respect, to run with these "big dogs." Carson is not the guy for me, for several reasons. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 07:03:21 pm »
From the Ben Shapiro piece:
... According to Politico, Carson said in his 1992 memoir Gifted Hands that he was offered a “full scholarship” to West Point after dining with General William Westmoreland in 1969. Here’s the relevant passage from Carson’s autobiography:

At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, We had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.

That’s the entire relevant portion of Carson’s account. He reiterated that account last month in an interview with Charlie Rose, when he said, “I was offered a full scholarship at West Point, got to meet General Westmoreland and go to Congressional Medal of Honor dinners. But decided really my pathway would be medicine.”

Politico followed up on this story. They reported one additional pieces of information that seem to conflict with Carson’s story: Carson never applied to West Point, and was never extended admission.

But Carson never said he applied. He said he was extended a full scholarship offer.  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org