Author Topic: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown  (Read 4428 times)

Offline mrclose

Well .. He's a great neurosurgeon anyway. :shrug:

And what does .. "Knowing who he was" mean?

FERGUSON • Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn’t have used deadly force against Michael Brown, the teenager whose fatal shooting by police Officer Darren Wilson sparked a national debate on race and the role of police.

Carson gave an interview to the Post-Dispatch on Friday afternoon after visiting Ferguson. When asked if he would have shot Brown if he were in Wilson’s shoes, Carson said: “It’s hard to say. I probably, knowing who he was, I probably just would have arrested him.”

Carson said he would have waited for backup before having the altercation.

A Justice Department investigation concluded that Wilson had reason to fear for his life and thus couldn’t be prosecuted for fatally shooting the unarmed 18-year-old.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/nick-pistor/gop-candidate-ben-carson-says-he-probably-wouldn-t-have/article_0e097a3d-ebde-5ed1-a89e-f382805ef1bd.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:51:52 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline raml

Re: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:02 pm »
That killed it for me will never vote for Ben Carson. I don't want another black president who sides with criminals or puts himself in a position he has never been in and says he would do this or that. Bullshit no one knows what they would do if a dude as big as brown was coming after you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:12:32 pm by raml »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
He's definitely more of a healer than a killer.  He is perfect for the job of neurosurgeon and if I needed one - he'd be the one I'd want. 

But for president?  The world's a nasty place....

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 11:25:32 pm »
He probably believes the hands up don't shoot LIE.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 11:31:06 pm »
Trying real hard to find controversy on a great man, where their is no controversy.  The stories title says "Probably" would not have shot him, and in the story he says "Its hard to say"....meaning he would have to be there in person to make the decision.   I have heard cops say as much - and how they would have handled it better, and several  post on defensive carry forums also saying they would have tried for a different outcome is they could.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 11:34:58 pm »
He probably believes the hands up don't shoot LIE.

Your ignorance on his views  of Black Lives matter astounds me.

Dr. Ben Carson blasts Black Lives Matter movement in op-ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtZSZ43FGU
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:45:08 am »
GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown
Then Dr Carson would "probably" be dead.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:04:55 am »
From a post I put up yesterday:
=======================
As impressive as Dr. Carson may seem, some of his ideas clash with not only conservatism but with common sense (particularly on immigration and the illegals, also regarding the Second Amendment).

All too often conservatives fawn over a black (or other ethnic) who on the surface has great general appeal to our sensibilities, but in time who lets us down with a dull thud.

How many were ready to "jump the broom" for Colin Powell?
Or for Condoleezza Rice?
Or for Herman Cain?

I'm going to get rocks thrown at me for saying this, but I believe our blind faith in Ben Carson is going to do as much for us, as did our earlier and mistaken faith in Powell (who once was touted as a possible Republican presidential candidate as well).

I've had enough of it.

Throw your rocks!

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,179963.msg710096.html#msg710096

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 02:11:24 am »
From a post I put up yesterday:
=======================
As impressive as Dr. Carson may seem, some of his ideas clash with not only conservatism but with common sense (particularly on immigration and the illegals, also regarding the Second Amendment).

All too often conservatives fawn over a black (or other ethnic) who on the surface has great general appeal to our sensibilities, but in time who lets us down with a dull thud.

How many were ready to "jump the broom" for Colin Powell?
Or for Condoleezza Rice?
Or for Herman Cain?

I'm going to get rocks thrown at me for saying this, but I believe our blind faith in Ben Carson is going to do as much for us, as did our earlier and mistaken faith in Powell (who once was touted as a possible Republican presidential candidate as well).

I've had enough of it.

Throw your rocks!

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,179963.msg710096.html#msg710096

All I can say is that for God's sake I could actually vote for Carson even in a loosing cause.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:12:26 am by bkepley »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 02:34:51 am »
It's a beautiful thing to be proven correct.  Good doctor, not Presidential timber.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

bkepley

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 02:37:20 am »
It's a beautiful thing to be proven correct.  Good doctor, not Presidential timber.

Here ... have another on me.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 09:55:32 am »
Here ... have another on me.

I don't drink f*ck knot.  Perhaps my sobriety provides a level of insight.  Maybe you should try it some time.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:15 am »
The job that doctors and police perform are very similar in one very important way. They are asked (required) to make life and death decisions. A delayed or wrong decision could result in the death of a patient, or of the tragic end to a bystander's life.

I admire the skills and professionalism of both a doctor Ben Carson and of a police officer Darren Wilson.

bkepley

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »
I don't drink f*ck knot.  Perhaps my sobriety provides a level of insight.  Maybe you should try it some time.

That's just not very impressive though.   I think most of us would question that Carson can even win if nominated.  And aren't you a Donald Trump defender?  He's certainly not "presidential timber".

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »
That's just not very impressive though.   I think most of us would question that Carson can even win if nominated.  And aren't you a Donald Trump defender?  He's certainly not "presidential timber".

I'm not really a "Trump defender".  I'm enjoying what he's doing in the same way a monster truck fan or demolition derby spectator enjoys a spectacle.  That's about it.

bkepley

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »
I'm not really a "Trump defender".  I'm enjoying what he's doing in the same way a monster truck fan or demolition derby spectator enjoys a spectacle.  That's about it.

I was thinking more along the lines of that train wreck where thousands of people paid to see two locomotives smash into one another.  That's what people want to see.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 01:36:27 pm »
Then Dr Carson would "probably" be dead.

Once again we agree! And there isn't even any thunder and lightening!  :beer:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 02:29:38 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of that train wreck where thousands of people paid to see two locomotives smash into one another.  That's what people want to see.

Stop and think about it; when the Wright Brothers did that thing at Kitty Hawk there were about 4 people.  Compare with those flying machine attempts with the multiple wings that flapped up and down or fell over or off of cliffs.  Thousands of people in attendance to see those failures.
Watched Chris Christie this morning and a couple other times recently.  What's the difference between Christie and Trump?  Attitude-wise.  Very little.  The difference?  Media-savvy.

bkepley

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:35:23 pm »
Stop and think about it; when the Wright Brothers did that thing at Kitty Hawk there were about 4 people.  Compare with those flying machine attempts with the multiple wings that flapped up and down or fell over or off of cliffs.  Thousands of people in attendance to see those failures.
Watched Chris Christie this morning and a couple other times recently.  What's the difference between Christie and Trump?  Attitude-wise.  Very little.  The difference?  Media-savvy.

Christie is the only one taking the debt seriously.  Regardless of his failings I like him for that reason.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 02:39:15 pm »
Trying real hard to find controversy on a great man, where their is no controversy.  The stories title says "Probably" would not have shot him, and in the story he says "Its hard to say"....meaning he would have to be there in person to make the decision.   I have heard cops say as much - and how they would have handled it better, and several  post on defensive carry forums also saying they would have tried for a different outcome is they could.

Thank you. His response was rational from a person who has seen people who were shot in the OR. The decision to shoot someone isn't easy if you've seen it up close. You don't do it out of joy or excitement. If someone doesn't have a measured thought, I worry about them. Carson didn't damn the police officers, he didn't side with the hands up don't shoot crowd or black lives matter, he didn't say Brown was unjustly shot or shouldn't have been He just took a measured, honest approach from someone who has been up close and personal with the results.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 03:14:20 pm »
Thank you. His response was rational from a person who has seen people who were shot in the OR. The decision to shoot someone isn't easy if you've seen it up close. You don't do it out of joy or excitement. If someone doesn't have a measured thought, I worry about them. Carson didn't damn the police officers, he didn't side with the hands up don't shoot crowd or black lives matter, he didn't say Brown was unjustly shot or shouldn't have been He just took a measured, honest approach from someone who has been up close and personal with the results.

:amen:

What I sense is happening here on this forum, with two what I would call anti-Carson threads started yesterday, is a bit of panic from some Trump supporters, sensing he has hit his high-water mark, and now is the time to take shots at #2 before next week's debate. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 03:32:44 pm »
May the best "candidate" win. Carson is obviously the better man (human being)--not sure about the better candidate part.

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 03:47:24 pm »
I'm just curious as to exactly what the separation of Siamese twins has to do with being head of the Executive Branch?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 04:15:48 pm »
I'm just curious as to exactly what the separation of Siamese twins has to do with being head of the Executive Branch?
High intelligence.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:55 pm »

Well, we tried lawyers, career politicians, community organizers, et al. I think people are more attracted to Carson's honesty and adult way he is handling his campaign. He is coming in as an outsider but not a carnival barker.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't my first choice, but I certainly think he would be a major positive step if for some chance he does win.  (and I wouldn't feel like I have to hold my nose to vote for him)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:27:51 pm by AbaraXas »