Author Topic: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown  (Read 4439 times)

Offline olde north church

Re: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:58 pm »
This is such a hilarious conversation.

A world-renowned neurosurgeon doesn't have the temperament to be president, but a hot-headed loudmouth who loves to use eminent domain to shove people out of their homes so he can put up another garish office tower with his name on it--in gold--has all the qualifications needed for the highest office in the land.

Trumproids are so funny.

Normally I would continue to ignore you but I'm in a magnanimous mood.  It's got very little to do with temperament, although I'm not too sure if he would have the temperament to lob a few bombs in a terrorist's direction.  That would have to do with his hesitance to shoot Michael Brown.
I don't doubt he could focus on two things or three things or even five things, I'm just not sure if he could focus on ten things or twenty things or a hundred things.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »
Normally I would continue to ignore you but I'm in a magnanimous mood.  It's got very little to do with temperament, although I'm not too sure if he would have the temperament to lob a few bombs in a terrorist's direction.  That would have to do with his hesitance to shoot Michael Brown.
I don't doubt he could focus on two things or three things or even five things, I'm just not sure if he could focus on ten things or twenty things or a hundred things.

Nobody focuses on a hundred things or even twenty things.  Surely you don't think that megalomaniac you support focuses on more than one or two things at a time, do you?  If it doesn't have to do with him, he could care less about it.

Carson's not my guy, but I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for him over Donald Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:43 pm »
This is something that baffles me - no really aimed at anyone here, but something I have been seeing a lot of.

A person goes into business - "Great, wonderful, they have the chops to be president."
A person goes into the business of saving lives by working on THE most complex thing known - "Meh, he probably wouldn't be a good president."

WHY THE HELL NOT!!!!!!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2015, 11:57:25 pm »
Nobody focuses on a hundred things or even twenty things.  Surely you don't think that megalomaniac you support focuses on more than one or two things at a time, do you?  If it doesn't have to do with him, he could care less about it.

Carson's not my guy, but I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for him over Donald Trump.

What makes you think I would vote for Donald Trump?  As I've said before, I'm just enjoying the wrecking ball effect.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 12:03:13 am »
What makes you think I would vote for Donald Trump?  As I've said before, I'm just enjoying the wrecking ball effect.

It's a wrecking ball effect, that's for sure. An embarrassing, red-assed performance by Trump and the pathetic lap-doggery of his Trumproids.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:06 am »
This is something that baffles me - no really aimed at anyone here, but something I have been seeing a lot of.

A person goes into business - "Great, wonderful, they have the chops to be president."
A person goes into the business of saving lives by working on THE most complex thing known - "Meh, he probably wouldn't be a good president."

WHY THE HELL NOT!!!!!!

What would be expected from a "vulgarian" such as I?  From an episode of "Gilligan's Island"

"The Hunter"

Kincaid then focuses on the Professor.

KINCAID
         Over here we have a chess player. By the
         time he's figuring out his next move I'd
         have him in my bag!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 02:32:48 am »
What would be expected from a "vulgarian" such as I?  From an episode of "Gilligan's Island"

"The Hunter"

Kincaid then focuses on the Professor.

KINCAID
         Over here we have a chess player. By the
         time he's figuring out his next move I'd
         have him in my bag!

We have now reached the point of quoting Gilligan's Island - I hope this thread goes no further than 3 pages.   But now that we are there, Ginger or Marry Ann?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:06 am »
This is such a hilarious conversation.

A world-renowned neurosurgeon doesn't have the temperament to be president, but a hot-headed loudmouth who loves to use eminent domain to shove people out of their homes so he can put up another garish office tower with his name on it--in gold--has all the qualifications needed for the highest office in the land.

Trumproids are so funny.

...hmm...interesting that this seems to have turned into a Trump vs. Carson  thread.

I am not a Trump supporter, but the fact still remains that he brought focus to illegal immigration when no other candidate has been able to do so in the past several election cycles.  Secondly, the first presidential debate with Trump  was watched by more people than any other debate in history.  Thirdly, he has kept the MSM busy, so people like Carson can survive without being unmercifully attacked.

While I don't think Trump is the best that the GOP has to offer; I do like him better than many of the establishment candidates.  IMHO I see Trump as displaying more backbone then Carson and being able to do accomplish what is necessary to turn this country around.  I just don't see Carson with that attribute.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 02:59:30 am »
...hmm...interesting that this seems to have turned into a Trump vs. Carson  thread.

I am not a Trump supporter, but the fact still remains that he brought focus to illegal immigration when no other candidate has been able to do so in the past several election cycles. 

The lie that just won't go away. Illegal immigration and what to do about it most certainly took center stage in past election cycles.
Finding stories proving it was just too easy. This one from Oct 2011.

Immigration Debate Heats Up In GOP Primary
10/20/2011 
WASHINGTON -- Neither Rick Perry nor Mitt Romney can claim conservative purity on illegal immigration – and now both must deal with it.

Illegal immigration has emerged as a defining issue with remarkable staying power in a GOP presidential race that was expected to be primarily focused on the nation's struggling economy.

The heated clashes over illegal immigration between the two Republican presidential rivals in this week's debate, coupled with renewed calls for a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border by their opponents, made clear the issue isn't going away. It's a major fault line between Perry and Romney as they court a Republican primary electorate that generally takes a hardline view against people who are in the country illegally.

Flashback 2012: Trump Criticized GOP for Being ‘Mean-Spirited’ on Immigration, Donald Trump blamed Romney's loss on Romney being too mean to illegal immigrants. 

http://www.mediaite.com/online/flashback-2012-trump-criticized-gop-for-being-mean-spirited-on-immigration/

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:04:54 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 03:12:23 am »
We have now reached the point of quoting Gilligan's Island - I hope this thread goes no further than 3 pages.   But now that we are there, Ginger or Marry Ann?

Sometimes it's easier for me to use such examples, lacking not have vocabulary skills.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:25 am »
Sometimes it's easier for me to use such examples, lacking not have vocabulary skills.

OK, understood, So I'll quote Gilligan's Island myself and maybe it will shed a little light on who Trump is.

Thurston:  Do you think I began a dozen international corporations by stooping to thievery?
Professor: Well, of course not.
Thurston:  Shows how naive you are. How else do you get to the top of the corporate ladder!

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:29 am »
The lie that just won't go away. Illegal immigration and what to do about it most certainly took center stage in past election cycles.
Finding stories proving it was just too easy. This one from Oct 2011.

Immigration Debate Heats Up In GOP Primary
10/20/2011 
WASHINGTON -- Neither Rick Perry nor Mitt Romney can claim conservative purity on illegal immigration – and now both must deal with it.

Illegal immigration has emerged as a defining issue with remarkable staying power in a GOP presidential race that was expected to be primarily focused on the nation's struggling economy.

The heated clashes over illegal immigration between the two Republican presidential rivals in this week's debate, coupled with renewed calls for a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border by their opponents, made clear the issue isn't going away. It's a major fault line between Perry and Romney as they court a Republican primary electorate that generally takes a hardline view against people who are in the country illegally.

Navy, I am very familiar with the issue of illegal immigration.  No other candidate has drawn the media attention like Trump has because of the way that he was able to bring attention to the issue of illegal immigration. No one. He drew so much attention that more viewers tuned in to watch him debate because of his stance on illegal immigration than any other debate in history. His focus and attention was heard.  The media wasn't able to cover it up as usual; he was heard.  As an example ... sanctuary cities have been around for awhile, but until Trump made it a focus, there were many people who didn't even know sanctuary cities existed and I would lay you odds, that the victim in San Francisco wouldn't have received the media attention that she did if it weren't for Trump.  I have attended several prayer vigils for American citizens that had fallen victims to illegals including, children, infants, women with families and law enforcement and none of their stories received the type of media attention that Trump was able to draw on the incident in San Francisco.  Their stories were buried along with them.

I realize you see him as a loud mouth, but that loud mouth was able to draw attention because he is not part of the Washington establishment.  He connected with a lot of people who finally felt that their voices have been heard.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2015, 03:35:22 am »
But now that we are there, Ginger or Marry Ann?

Both ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 03:44:24 am »
Returning to the thread topic:

Dr Carson declares, knowing the facts of the situation, that he would have not defended himself against a felon charging him. 

Therefore, probably unfamiliar with law enforcement protocol, would have chosen instead to try to preserve human life.

His oath, the Hippocratic oath, promises FIRST, DO No Harm.

This is his operational principle--and a very honorable one.

My question is:  As CIC, would President Carson choose to send young men into harm's way if required to defend America and its citizens?

A question that should be considered.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:45:06 am by famousdayandyear »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 04:00:12 am »
Returning to the thread topic:

Dr Carson declares, knowing the facts of the situation, that he would have not defended himself against a felon charging him. 

Therefore, probably unfamiliar with law enforcement protocol, would have chosen instead to try to preserve human life.

My question is:  As CIC, would President Carson choose to send young men into harm's way if required to defend America and its citizens?

Even Christian Doctors can believe in a Just War.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:33 am »

You do know he's retired. 

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2015, 04:26:11 am »
Once again:

Today, the retired Christian physician, Ben Carson, states he would NOT have shot Michael Brown. 

I am employing contemporary perspective; hoping others will do the same.

Godzilla

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2015, 05:04:30 am »

WHY THE HELL NOT!!!!!!

When one is a doctor, one is responsible for one's own actions alone.  At best, a small team.

When one is the President, one is responsible to protect 300,000,000 people. When one is the President, one is the leader of the free world and the leader of roughly 1,000,000 fighting men.

Being a doctor teaches someone nothing about leadership.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2015, 05:15:45 am »
Having a President who was responsible for his own actions would be a pleasant change from the last 6 and a half years, wouldn't it?

And I disagree. A good doctor, and by all accounts Dr. Carson is up there with the very best, is responsible for life and death daily and more importantly, personally. I think that's a pretty good foundation for a CinC.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:19 am »
Once again:

Assuming Dr. Carson knows the facts of the shooting of Michael Brown, he has stated publicly that he would have chosen otherwise.

This is a CURRENT position Dr. Carson has taken.

Based on his current statement, I extrapolate that he will fall on the side of preserving human life--no matter that the facts of what the police officer was facing in those fast moving circumstances.

This statement causes me pause.  Will he act in my best interest as CIC?
I have decided "no".  I would not trust him to make decisions of such magnitude.

Again, I am addressing the topic of this thread.

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2015, 11:14:32 am »
Once again:

Assuming Dr. Carson knows the facts of the shooting of Michael Brown, he has stated publicly that he would have chosen otherwise.

This is a CURRENT position Dr. Carson has taken.

Based on his current statement, I extrapolate that he will fall on the side of preserving human life--no matter that the facts of what the police officer was facing in those fast moving circumstances.

This statement causes me pause.  Will he act in my best interest as CIC?
I have decided "no".  I would not trust him to make decisions of such magnitude.

Again, I am addressing the topic of this thread.

Thank you, that provides my opening to my issue with the good Dr..
Imagine not, the "Gentle Giant" Michael Brown is getting ready to run and attack you but islamic terrorist villain Iran has one of it's primitive nukes aimed at Israel or Saudi Arabia or Egypt, is he willing to unleash Hell prior or does he let them let rain Hell down upon one of our allies?  That ,people, is a REALISTIC scenario.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:24:16 am by olde north church »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 11:29:34 am »
When one is a doctor, one is responsible for one's own actions alone.  At best, a small team.

When one is the President, one is responsible to protect 300,000,000 people. When one is the President, one is the leader of the free world and the leader of roughly 1,000,000 fighting men.

Being a doctor teaches someone nothing about leadership.

Most doctors have huge egos. Ever go in to a consultation and try to tell your doctor not just your symptoms, but your perception about your own health? You usually get a curt interruption and a dismissive doctor-knows-best stare. They are the original lone rangers.

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2015, 01:18:15 pm »
Most doctors have huge egos. Ever go in to a consultation and try to tell your doctor not just your symptoms, but your perception about your own health? You usually get a curt interruption and a dismissive doctor-knows-best stare. They are the original lone rangers.

Since this discussion started I have been trying to remember the name of a book, "Neuro", "Neuros", "Neu-something".  It's about 20, 25 years old.  If you could use the term "tell all" with a bit of Bildungsroman thrown in.
Any neurosurgeon worth his salt is going to have an outsized ego.  You have an individual's brain, in your hands, for the love of Christ, and that changes you.  With pediatric neurosurgery, that increases exponentially.  Parents, grandparents, siblings look at you as if you are the closest thing to God on Earth.
Musiclady may have been fortunate enough to raise a glass with the most modest neurosurgeons on the planet.  I'm presuming, hoping, she never had to do so as a patient or the family member of a patient.  It's a whole new world.
One example?  I was discussing my case with a neurosurgeon, name doesn't matter, I asked what he would do if he were in my position what would he do.  My father, sitting next to me, said that was an unfair question, I was putting the doctor on the spot.  The doctor had no problem with it.  He said he would set up mirrors in the operating room and do the surgery on himself.
You might want to think of Dr. Carson as Sheriff Taylor with scalpel or Marcus Welby, M.D., based upon my experience, I wouldn't.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:00 pm »
Then Dr Carson would "probably" be dead.

Spot on.  Carson jumps the shark on this one.  I wonder how much of the evidence in the case Carson reviewed.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »
Are you serious?  This is your litmus test?

There are several reasons not to vote for Carson, particularly his woeful lack of qualifying experience.  But, he also has this bizarre tendency to veer left at times on crucial issues.  He did this previously by advocating gun control in inner cities.  Now, he is tacitly agreeing with the position of Black Lives Matter despite his written rejection of what they believe.

Law and Order should be a primary campaign theme in this election for Conservatives.  Carson just sided against the police and in favor of the thugs.