Author Topic: GOP Openly Lashing Out at Base  (Read 11331 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: GOP Openly Lashing Out at Base
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2015, 04:14:52 am »
DC:  Thanks for your support?  I am careful to name my "brothers".

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:50 am »
Sorry, your generally solid logic escapes me here.  His point not valid--but fogged in base emotionalism.  IMHO

No worries my friend. My cognitive skills have been excessively taxed today.

I think the point is, at some point we need to stop the sniping and pull together to win.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2015, 04:19:54 am »
DC:  Thanks for your support?  I am careful to name my "brothers".

Well, when the food runs out, we have to eat something.  :laugh:   Just kidding, just kidding.

Let's just pretend we're all sitting at a table playing poker having a good time.   :beer:

and they're pi$$ed off because we have a LOT of their chips.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:21:17 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2015, 04:30:38 am »
Never play poker with friends.
If you come to my house hungry, be sure to bring somebody.

:beer: :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:20 am »
Geesh, Lando!

And I read it twice!!

The way it reads on the screen, he was trying to put me on the defensive.  To defend what I thought was an innocent acceptable word.

When you read the growing majority of posts on Donald Trump, they're getting more boisterous in their criticism of Trump.

Being totally objective, there are respected members here that won't deny "hating" Trump. Based upon their words alone.

But that's okay.  It's not going to make me angry with any of them.  They're 'brothers'. 

edited to add: they're just high on mushrooms.   :laugh:

What you said.

I think I understand why there is such dislike of Trump. But, after watching Romney –who I thought would have made a great president– go down in flames, I figure we've got to try something new. The Donald doesn't do political Kabuki and some people find that very disturbing in a politician. I, on the other hand, find it refreshing.

And, too, I think Trump is pragmatic and success oriented and America centric. And, he's old enough to remember when America was still a great country and he happens to likes that America –unlike our current president.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:33:57 am by aligncare »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 05:06:33 am »
What you said.

I think I understand why there is such dislike of Trump. But, after watching Romney –who I thought would have made a great president– go down in flames, I figure we've got to try something new. The Donald doesn't do political Kabuki and some people find that very disturbing in a politician. I, on the other hand, find it refreshing.

And, too, I think Trump is pragmatic and success oriented and America centric. And, he's old enough to remember when America was still a great country and he happens to likes that America –unlike our current president.

:beer:

But it's making me uncomfortable seeing my fellow Conservatives being used in a negative manner.

And, of course, is Trump drawing them out?  Seems so.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 10:16:31 am »
What you said.

The hatred is for someone who obviously loves his country.  For some reason, no candidate is acceptable unless they engage in that Filipino Easter self-flagellation thing.  People don't know what to do with someone who couldn't care less about PC.  On some level wants to try and straighten it out and who could probably purchase a decent sized island in the middle of Bumfucket and be left the alone for the rest of his days, flying in his friends for parties.
No, let's support candidates who want to do the same old shit.  The people who promise the world and give nothing in return.  Piss on your leg and tell you it's raining but won't hand you an umbrella.
What's truly remarkable, to me at least, is the people who are phobic about a candidate from a different kind of mold.  You have to wonder if those people are as politically astute as they pretend to be.
I don't know which CONSERVATIVE candidate for which I will be voting but I do know who I won't.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:26 am »
The hatred is for someone who obviously loves his country.  For some reason, no candidate is acceptable unless they engage in that Filipino Easter self-flagellation thing.  People don't know what to do with someone who couldn't care less about PC.  On some level wants to try and straighten it out and who could probably purchase a decent sized island in the middle of Bumfucket and be left the alone for the rest of his days, flying in his friends for parties.
No, let's support candidates who want to do the same old shit.  The people who promise the world and give nothing in return.  Piss on your leg and tell you it's raining but won't hand you an umbrella.
What's truly remarkable, to me at least, is the people who are phobic about a candidate from a different kind of mold.  You have to wonder if those people are as politically astute as they pretend to be.
I don't know which CONSERVATIVE candidate for which I will be voting but I do know who I won't.

And the hatred thing bothers me.  Why do we have to "hate" a candidate, can't they just not be the right person?
Over manipulation by the media or just so cynical that they are all guilty of lying until the prove they are not.

Makes me wonder if those we swoon over like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy and Reagan could get elected today.
We have been classified, dissected and hyphenated for the convenience of the elites that we no longer exist as a "society".

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2015, 11:32:37 am »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:13:51 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:37 pm »
And the hatred thing bothers me.  Why do we have to "hate" a candidate, can't they just not be the right person?
Over manipulation by the media or just so cynical that they are all guilty of lying until the prove they are not.

Makes me wonder if those we swoon over like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy and Reagan could get elected today.
We have been classified, dissected and hyphenated for the convenience of the elites that we no longer exist as a "society".

Good point. I don't hate Lindsey Graham or any of the others. I have a certain level of support for each of our candidates. Some more than others.

Popularity contests can be acrimonious. Throw in winner gets control of the EPA and IRS, and man does it get nasty.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2015, 01:34:18 pm »
Why can't these people that spend so much time on full-on tearing down of Donald Trump - and people that defend him - spend a little time saying positive things about THEIR candidate/s of choice?  Doesn't matter the subject of the thread - it will eventually devolve to Trump hatred.

It's a huge turn-off to me and I seriously doubt that it has a positive effect on changing people's minds. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »
Why can't these people that spend so much time on full-on tearing down of Donald Trump - and people that defend him - spend a little time saying positive things about THEIR candidate/s of choice?  Doesn't matter the subject of the thread - it will eventually devolve to Trump hatred.

It's a huge turn-off to me and I seriously doubt that it has a positive effect on changing people's minds.

Maybe because no matter who your candidate is he'll likely get slammed except possibly Cruz who seems unlikely to win at this point?  There's as much hatred of Bush for instance as for Trump but that gets a pass?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »
Maybe because no matter who your candidate is he'll likely get slammed except possibly Cruz who seems unlikely to win at this point?  There's as much hatred of Bush for instance as for Trump but that gets a pass?

Hate?  Don't hate bush just will not vote for him, the same as I don't LOVE Trump. 
I just think one will do a better job than the other.

bkepley

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »
Hate?  Don't hate bush just will not vote for him, the same as I don't LOVE Trump. 
I just think one will do a better job than the other.

Maybe you but believe me if you were someone who believed that Bush is a possible GOP candidate you would feel the hatred.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2015, 01:44:58 pm »

Baloney!  On what planet?

People dislike Jeb Bush because of the Bush family name.

People "hate" Donald Trump because they think he's an interloper.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »

"One of these days, Alice!" (if you are actually old enough to remember the reference).  I think part of the problem is quite a few people don't have a choice yet.  17 candidates is a lot from which to choose.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

bkepley

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:57 pm »
Baloney!  On what planet?

People dislike Jeb Bush because of the Bush family name.

People "hate" Donald Trump because they think he's an interloper.

Try praising Bush on TOS.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2015, 01:51:14 pm »
Try praising Bush on TOS.

I understand. 

Bush evokes memories of "same ol' same old", and don't want to feel like we're going backwards to make the same mistakes again.

Trump evokes excitement that we can put a stake thru all this PC crap and give us back our country.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2015, 02:04:58 pm »
"One of these days, Alice!" (if you are actually old enough to remember the reference).  I think part of the problem is quite a few people don't have a choice yet.  17 candidates is a lot from which to choose.

Oh, I'm old enough to remember ONC!  LOL!

Yes, the field will be winnowed.  So far, it's been quite interesting to watch.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »
I understand. 

Bush evokes memories of "same ol' same old", and don't want to feel like we're going backwards to make the same mistakes again.

Trump evokes excitement that we can put a stake thru all this PC crap and give us back our country.

Yep.  When you're heading toward the falls, you've got to make a HARD turn to make it out alive!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »
Sorry, your generally solid logic escapes me here.  His point not valid--but fogged in base emotionalism.  IMHO

Let me explain base emotionalism to you, and I'll type slowly to make it easier for you to keep up.

Opposition is not "hate". That's not the kind of country that we live in. Or I'd like to think so anyway.

People who oppose political candidates are not "haters", at least not usually to anyone outside Daily KOS and TOS. I find it highly ironic that so many people who condemn the dreaded GOPe for acting just like Democrats turn around and act like Democrats themselves by demeaning opposition and lowering political differences to emotional reactions. I wonder how long it would be before I was called a "racist" for opposing Ben Carson.

I'm sure that there are haters out there, but I mistakenly believed that this forum was populated by individuals of higher intelligence

I think Trump will hurt the GOP and be instrumental in handing what should have been a fairly easy GOP victory to the Democrats.

I don't trust his motives.

I don't like his policies (what few he has put out there).

I don't for one minute believe that he is the kind of person that should represent the US to the world.

I see very little difference between him and Barack Obama, personality-wise.

None of that makes me a hater of anything, and to suggest that people who oppose candidates are "haters" IS the base emotional response of people who can't think beyond emotions, and I honestly thought I had left that sort of posters behind when I was banned from TOS for opposing the very same sort of thing.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »
Let me explain base emotionalism to you, and I'll type slowly to make it easier for you to keep up.

Sometimes implying something is just as offensive as name calling. If you want others to treat you with respect you need to treat others with respect. Nobody here deserves to be treated like an idiot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:11:58 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »

I'm sure that there are haters out there, but I mistakenly believed that this forum was populated by individuals of higher intelligence

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2015, 04:10:22 pm »
Sometimes implying something is just as offensive as name calling. If you want others to treat you with respect you need to treat others with respect. Nobody here deserves to be treated like an idiot.

Yeah, the poster who suggested that my point was "fogged in base emotionalism" should heed your advice.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:11:38 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »
Yeah, the poster who suggested that my point was "fogged in base emotionalism" should heed your advice.

"He started it!" is never a good excuse. Rise above it.
-Socrates