Author Topic: 'Alcatraz of The Rockies' Awaits if Boston Bomber Avoids Execution  (Read 1398 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=643184

Newsmax
'Alcatraz of The Rockies' Awaits if Boston Bomber Avoids Execution
Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:27 AM

By: John Blosser

If a jury allows him to live, convicted Boston bombing murderer Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, likely will spend the rest of his life in a lonely, living hell — the U.S. Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility, known as the ADX, or "supermax," prison in the foothills of the Rockies in Florence, Colorado.

Tsarnaev's attorneys Wednesday tried to convince jurors debating whether to put him to death that for a youthful killer, life in prison at the ADX would be sufficient punishment for his crimes, the Boston Globe reported.

In the ADX, prisoners spend 23 hours each day in solitary confinement in cells measuring just 12 feet by 7 feet, with a four-inch-wide window, thick walls, sliding metal double doors and virtually no contact with other humans, NBC News reports.

Former warden Mark Bezy has called it "the most restrictive penitentiary in the federal system," and it often is referred to as the "Alcatraz of the Rockies," The New York Times reports.

Inmates are allowed just two 15-minute phone calls with only immediate family members each month, no media access and their mail is screened.

Some of the prisoners with whom Tsarnaev would be housed are the very worst of the nation's prison system, including the "Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski, Olympic bomber Eric Rudolph, 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui, 1993 World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef, Oklahoma City bomber Terry Nichols, former FBI agent and Russian spy Robert Hanssen, "shoe bomber" Richard Reid, serial killer doctor Michael Swango, "underwear bomber" Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, and former Bonanno family mob boss Vincent Basciano, the Times said.

The prison houses "a very small subset of the inmate population who show absolutely no concern for human life," former Federal Bureau of Prisons Director Norman Carlson told the Times.

Cells at the prison have their own sinks, toilets and showers, and meals are served in cells through a slot in the door, eliminating times inmates would be out of their cells in other prisons, the Times reported. There is a TV/radio in cells, and concrete slab beds with thin mattresses.

Former Warden Robert Hood, who described ADX as a "clean version of hell," told the Times: "This place is not designed for humanity. When it's 23 hours a day in a room with a slit of a window where you can't even see the Rocky Mountains, let's be candid here. It's not designed for rehabilitation. Period. End of story."

In a 2014 report entitled "Entombed: Isolation in the U.S. Federal Prison System," Amnesty International said it "believes that the conditions at ADX are unacceptably harsh" with "conditions of severe isolation."

Tsarnaev has been convicted of 30 charges in connection with the 2013 bombing of the Boston Marathon, 17 of which carry the possibility of the death penalty his attorneys are trying to avoid, the Globe reported.

Prosecutors, however, have argued that if Tsarnaev is given a life sentence without parole, there is no guarantee that he will serve that sentence in the ADX, and he could be transferred to a lower security, less harsh prison over time.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Jurors should have the power to order/stipulate that life means in such a secure, isolated manner. Prison officials can never transfer to less secure, less isolated.

I like life without chance of release, for it has the potential of being more of a punishment, than death.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

Jurors should have the power to order/stipulate that life means in such a secure, isolated manner. Prison officials can never transfer to less secure, less isolated.

I like life without chance of release, for it has the potential of being more of a punishment, than death.

Costs more than he's worth, with his special diet, etc. The one good thing about the Feds is that their appeals process for death cases is extremely quick, and fairly cheap [compared to the States]. The only bad thing is that they put them to sleep like puppies [a sore point with me. I just had to put one of my 'kids' down]. As Sclia noted, a form of execution only violates the Eighth Amendment if it is 'cruel AND unusual'. Can be either. Just can't be both.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I prefer the "Darkness at Noon" solution:

Walk down a dark hall, one shot, back of the head.

Cheap, easy, quick.

No apologies.

Offline flowers

in a lonely, living hell
  No he won't. He will adjust.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Costs more than he's worth, with his special diet, etc. The one good thing about the Feds is that their appeals process for death cases is extremely quick, and fairly cheap [compared to the States]. The only bad thing is that they put them to sleep like puppies [a sore point with me. I just had to put one of my 'kids' down]. As Sclia noted, a form of execution only violates the Eighth Amendment if it is 'cruel AND unusual'. Can be either. Just can't be both.
The article is about the result, if he gets life instead of the death penalty.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

If I were in charge,  I'd say, "What special diet?" Cereal for breakfast, baloney sandwiches for lunch and dinner.  An apple for good behavior.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

If life in prison is such an unpleasant form of punishment, why is that those sentenced to capital punishment, most anyway, fight imposition of their sentences so persistently?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
They know they are guilty. Have some idea they are going to wind up paying for what they did after death. It scares the pants clean off them, not just half way down their legs.

One of the reasons I could vaguely be talked around to life with no possibility of parole for Tsarnev is that he thinks his death will be rewarded, so keeping him alive is a very cruel punishment. Unusual, too, and you have that pesky clause against a punishment being both.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

They know they are guilty. Have some idea they are going to wind up paying for what they did after death.

Sorry, EC, that may be true for some but I doubt it applies to a psychopath like Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer.

The ONLY reason I can think of to spare Tsarnev life is that it might make him a martyr in the Muslim world. Justice, though, demands he meet the same fate as his victims. The sob purposefully placed his bomb next to an 8 year old child.

What we really should do, but won't because we are such wimps, is tie a piglet around his throat and then execute him. Afterwards deny him a Muslim funeral and bury him in a Potter's Field. Not only would that be appropriate for him but would send a message to other Muslims what will happen to them if they emulate him in any way.

After he's finished, next up Nidal Hassan.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.