Author Topic: Report: Iranian Navy Chases US Warships  (Read 1017 times)

Offline pjohns

Report: Iranian Navy Chases US Warships
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:34 am »
From The Washington Free Beacon: 

An Iranian naval fleet chased a U.S. warship and military planes through the waters off the southern coast of Yemen late Monday in yet another provocative encounter between the two nations, according to Iranian state media reports.

A U.S. warship and several planes reportedly “changed their direction” on Monday after encountering an Iranian naval fleet during a patrol in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen, Iranian state media revealed.

The U.S. military assets fled “after they came close to an Iranian naval fleet and were warned to move away,” Iran’s state-controlled Fars News Agency reported. Iran also released video of the incident.

The run-in between the United States and Iranian militaries is just the latest in several tense confrontations between the countries near Yemen, where Iran is believed to be smuggling weapons to opposition forces.

Here is the link to the full report:  Report: Iranian Navy Chases After U.S. Warships | Washington Free Beacon

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Report: Iranian Navy Chases US Warships
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:33:26 am »
Can someone please explain to me what we are doing - what John Kerry is doing - negotiating - for what?  Hasn't the self-imposed deadline already passed?  At this point, Kerry is looking like the Iranian's butt boy.  WTH?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline pjohns

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:40:43 am »
Can someone please explain to me what we are doing - what John Kerry is doing - negotiating - for what?

Basically, I think he is negotiating to try to cement Barack Obama's legacy.  (When this all falls apart, and Iran gets nukes--or when Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and other countries in this most volatile region of the world join in the nuclear-arms race--Barack Obama can always distance himself from it, and pretend that it was not the consequence of his foreign policy.) 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 12:51:12 am »
Did this incident occur in international waters?

Why are our warships retreating from the Iranians?

Would this have happened under Reagan or either of the Bush'es?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 01:49:59 am »

To answer to your last question, no..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline pjohns

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 06:03:57 am »

(1) Yes; (2) because our current Commander-in-Chief--such as he is--believes in peace through appeasement; and (3) no, it would not have.  (In fact, if Iran had dared to act so boldly, its ship would doubtless be at the bottom of the ocean, now.) 

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »
Iran is not stupid enough to engage our military openly. We would annihilate their military in about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:48:15 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline pjohns

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 05:39:18 am »
Iran is not stupid enough to engage our military openly. We would annihilate their military in about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, that assumes that the Iranian leadership (which, of course, controls the military) is animated by rational decision-making.   

I simply do not believe that to be the case.

Rather, I believe that it is animated, 100 percent, by an apocalyptic zealotry, that views the ushering in of the long-deceased Twelfth Imam (or Mahdi) as the most glorious event possible.  (It is sort of a perverted version of the Christian Parousia.)  And if that can best be accomplished by beginning a war that would ultimately kill hundreds of millions of innocents, well, the Iranian leadership views that as a genuflection in the direction of The Greater Good, I believe...